HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your Support when Hockey returns

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2005, 09:33 AM
SensGod

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Your Support when Hockey returns

I had an interesting conversation with some friends over the weekend about how much support we are going to give to the team when hockey returns (hopefully in the fall).

Inside of my circle of friends I'm the "hockey freak". I'm the guy who can spit out stats, height, weight, draft history, etc...in the blink of an eye. I'm regarded as "the hard core hockey fan" friend.

So...one of my friends over the weekend more or less said to me, "Bet you can't wait for hockey to return...you'll just return back to your old self and live half your life at the Corel Center, no?"

My response seemed to take them off guard quite a bit. And now I have a bet with my Fiance about it because she thinks I'm full of BS. But here it is.

1) I will follow the team on cable TV, the net, and news. I will still be a hardcore fan and will support the team in spirit...that will never change.

2) I'm buying season's tickets to the 67's next year instead of the Sens.

3) I'm not giving the NHL or the NHLPA one red penny for at least one calendar year. This means no Pay Per View, no merchanise, no tickets, no donations to charities they support, nothing, nada, zilch...I won't go to the Corel Center for ANYTHING related to the NHL or NHLPA.

4) The ONLY way I end up at ANY NHL game next year will be for work related activities. I won't pay for anything, and it's part of my job. I'm not going to jeapordize my career for my beliefs in regards to hockey.

Now of course this was received with a great deal of laughter and "YEAH RIGHT! We know you better than that!" BUUUULLLSSSSSHHHHIIIII....

Then of course my fiance threw out this scenario.

"Sens are in the Stanley Cup finals, game #7. You won't go?"

"How about if I buy you a ticket, or one of your friends?"

My response, "Nope!"

More laughter insued.

So....this is my stance...how about the rest of you?

Old
05-25-2005, 09:40 AM
WC Handy*

Not only do I plan on keeping my season tickets, but the Blues already have the money for my season tickets next year. I think it's foolish to stop doing something that you love because of a labor dispute.

Old
05-25-2005, 09:53 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC Handy
Not only do I plan on keeping my season tickets, but the Blues already have the money for my season tickets next year. I think it's foolish to stop doing something that you love because of a labor dispute.
yep I agree, why punish yourself? the Teams/Players certainly won't care if you're there or not.

Old
05-25-2005, 09:59 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
i see it as putting food on their tables. I'm glad to do my part.

Old
05-25-2005, 10:02 AM
salzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
So....this is my stance...how about the rest of you?
SensGod, I think your stance is great because it shows that you have principles but you are also very realistic. People who say they'll NEVER watch again are either a) stupid - why deprive yourself of something you love or b)kidding themselves - there's simply no way you can stay away forever so why pretend? I can't count the number of times I've gotten bad service in a restaurant or store and declared to my friends and family "I'll NEVER go back there!" only to go back a couple months later. Much better to put a cap on it like you're doing.

Personally, I'm going right back to hockey as soon as the CBA press conference is announced. Really, those of us hanging around these boards have never actually left. I'm not sure what's worse - not having hockey (the actual games themself) or not having any hockey news. Half the fun of the sport is following the standings, the rivalries, the trades, the rumours, the soap operas, etc. I am absolutely starved for hockey news at this point and I'm sure most of the rest of you are too. Just think of what this summer will be like if they get a CBA signed in June. The Toronto Star is going to have to add a special supplement every day just to handle the "transactions" section. As I heard another poster say, it's going to be like the most incredible amazing trade deadline day ever times about 1000. Personally, I can't wait.

Old
05-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Levitate

since i don't have easy access to any minor league hockey, either live or on the TV, i will likely be buying center ice, as well as tickets to the local games i want to go see

life goes on, i still love hockey and want to see it

Old
05-25-2005, 10:04 AM
salzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC Handy
Yep, I personally can't understand the logic behind punishing them for depriving you of the thing that you are depriving yourself of in order to punish them for depriving you of it.

Old
05-25-2005, 10:06 AM
salzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
i see it as putting food on their tables. I'm glad to do my part.
I see it as putting kibble in Mike Modano's dog's bowl. I like to help any way I can.

Old
05-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
I've been wearing my Minnesota Northstars hat instead of my NY Islanders hat. I will continue to do this at least until I've decided to forgive and forget.

It's symbolic, or something.

Old
05-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Cat Called Bobcat

Ehhhh, I'll be back. I've left my season ticket money with the Sens and I've kept the Super Sports Package so as soon as hockey's back, so is Centre Ice.

I've never been one to buy a ton of merchandise, but my habits there won't change either.

Old
05-25-2005, 10:25 AM
SENSible1*

For me it depends on the terms of the deal.

As long as the owners stick to their guns, they'll have my support. If they cave, then they won't see another red cent from me.

Old
05-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I will go back following hockey exactly like I did prior to the lockout. I really see no point in boycotting the NHL or the NHLPA out of spite. I've been following the lockout from day one, waiting for them to give me back my beloved game. Why would I stop myself from enjoying it when it's finally back? It just make no sense whatsoever.

Old
05-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I will go back to following the game just like I used to.

Old
05-25-2005, 10:35 AM
WC Handy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck

As long as the owners stick to their guns, they'll have my support. If they cave, then they won't see another red cent from me.
This is a stance I understand. I will be extremely unhappy if I missed out on hockey for a year for nothing.

Old
05-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

I suppose some might find it apathetic, but I've never taken the lockout or labor issues personally. Maybe I should, but I don't think the parties particularly care about me. They certainly care about what's in my wallet, but that's the attitude that most businesses have, for good or ill.

I'll be going to as many, if not more, games as I have in the past, but, as a Capitals fan, I have slightly more reason than just the return of hockey; I am very much looking forward to seeing the player who is probably going to be wearing #8 for D.C. next year.

Last edited by Marshall: 05-25-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old
05-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Slats432

I think Edmonton is going to be pretty forgiving simply because of the community type ownership. They needed this lockout to survive and if the team is healthy and exciting, the place will fill up again.

Old
05-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Riggs
Support Geno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
I'll be going to as many, if not more, games as I have in the past, but, as a Capitals fan, I have slightly more reason than just the return of hockey; I am very much looking forward to seeing the player who is probably going to be wearing #8 for D.C. next year.
The same for me, but it will probably be #17 for the Pens.

Old
05-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Marconius

The NHL will not see a dime from me again. I will continue to watch games on TV and follow the Oilers, but I will not pay to attend another game. I suppose if I somehow received free tickets I would go, though. I will not be purchasing any jerseys/memoribilia etc either.

The only way I can see this changing is one day when I have children of my own. I won't make them pay for the bitterness of their father, but that day is still a ways off in the future

Old
05-25-2005, 11:25 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

I"m a sucker so I will be running back once it starts up again.

Old
05-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck

I agree on the first part, but for me it's not about whether they cave or stick to their guns, it's more about how the whole thing comes together... if there is massive roster turnover with a very low UFA age and changes to the draft or waivers that also impact roster continuity from year to year, that can turn me off the NHL product (similar to the way I haven't followed baseball for over a decade, despite formerly being a die-hard). Conversely, if the game opens up and it seems like whatever combinations of cap/etc will keep the roster stability no worse than it was before the lockout, etc, then I might even be more into the NHL product than I was before the lockout. And if they let the Habs draft Sidney Crosby, well...

Old
05-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs
The same for me, but it will probably be #17 for the Pens.

That guy has mad facial hair.

Old
05-25-2005, 11:38 AM
FLYLine24*

Nothing will change...i will continue my season tickets, center ice package, and buy merchandise....im putting this dark dark DARK year behind me.

Old
05-25-2005, 12:05 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
since i don't have easy access to any minor league hockey, either live or on the TV, i will likely be buying center ice, as well as tickets to the local games i want to go see

life goes on, i still love hockey and want to see it
I couldn't have said it better myself...you said it perfectly.

I'm already salting the money away for Center Ice. And almost every day I have something Red Wings on, whether it's a shirt or my Datsyuk baseball cap. That will never change.

Old
05-25-2005, 12:05 PM
salzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
The NHL will not see a dime from me again. I will continue to watch games on TV and follow the Oilers

You DO realize that by watching the games on TV - even for free - you are increasing the ratings which in turn increases the cost of advertising time.

Increased advertising costs, of course, increases the cost of the products being advertised - coca cola, mcdonald's, beer, what have you - which means more money coming out of your pocket.

Increased rating, of course, also increases the $ value the networks pay for television rights which means more money going in the pockets of the owners and players.

You can try and be high and mighty and stick to your principles all you like, but unless you're giving it up cold turkey, you might as well come all the way back.

Old
05-25-2005, 12:12 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by salzy

You DO realize that by watching the games on TV - even for free - you are increasing the ratings which in turn increases the cost of advertising time.

Increased advertising costs, of course, increases the cost of the products being advertised - coca cola, mcdonald's, beer, what have you - which means more money coming out of your pocket.

Increased rating, of course, also increases the $ value the networks pay for television rights which means more money going in the pockets of the owners and players.
You are more wrong than right here...
I am not sure how advertising works in Canada where Marconius is from , but in the U.S these are very small cable deals which are negotiated far in advance. The cable systems buy the rights to show the games. Hockey is "Run of station" and the advertising costs during these games are the same as any other daypart. They don't have a different price to advertise during the games
For the National networks who guarantee Cume, yes viewership effects advertising rates. But that is more than likely only going to be 5 of the teams 82 games. (unless they shorten the schedule)

Closed Thread