HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Does Marc Methot make team Canada?

View Poll Results: Will Marc Methot play for team Canada in Sochi?
Yes 5 2.03%
No 93 37.80%
Yes, as a reserve 5 2.03%
No, but he'll be invited 38 15.45%
He won't even be invited 105 42.68%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back

vCash: 500
Does Marc Methot make team Canada?

I'm just curious as to what people think. I know that he's flown under the radar for a while now -- playing for Columbus and now Ottawa. Despite exclusively playing in small hockey markets he has played for team Canada before (2011 and 2012 World Championships), and I feel as though he really had a coming out party this year in the NHL. Whether it's MacLean's system or just the opportunity (or maybe just that he's coming into his prime and staying healthy) Methot was a revelation this year, and was Ottawa's MVP IMO.

He's still fairly young, he's a great skater, and he's very defensively responsible.

I assume that Subban, Letang, Doughty, Keith and Weber are probably locks, or close to it, for the team...but I feel like the 6th spot and some reserve spots are pretty open for guys like Campbell, Phaneuf, Green, Pietrangelo, Methot, etc.

So what do you think? Please don't just come in and flame or call me a homer. I'm not going to vote. I'm just genuinely interested.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:07 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I'm just curious as to what people think. I know that he's flown under the radar for a while now -- playing for Columbus and now Ottawa. Despite exclusively playing in small hockey markets he has played for team Canada before (2011 and 2012 World Championships), and I feel as though he really had a coming out party this year in the NHL. Whether it's MacLean's system or just the opportunity (or maybe just that he's coming into his prime and staying healthy) Methot was a revelation this year, and was Ottawa's MVP IMO.

He's still fairly young, he's a great skater, and he's very defensively responsible.

I assume that Subban, Letang, Doughty, Keith and Weber are probably locks, or close to it, for the team...but I feel like the 6th spot and some reserve spots are pretty open for guys like Campbell, Phaneuf, Green, Pietrangelo, Methot, etc.

So what do you think? Please don't just come in and flame or call me a homer. I'm not going to vote. I'm just genuinely interested.
Anderson?

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:09 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

If Methot was anything but canadian he'd probably make the olympic team, Canada just has so much depth when it comes to high profile guys. Methot wouldn't be out of place on team Canada if he was used as a bottom pair shutdown type guy, but there are too many big names for him to make it in my opinion.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Hell no.

I love Methot but he doesn't have the offensive game.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

I could see him making the taxi squad if he continues his fine form. I would still choose Marc Staal or Braydon Coburn over him when it comes to defensive d-men.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Anderson?
Anderson was great, but Lehner and Bishop also played well for us so missing him didn't hurt us as much as missing Methot would have IMO. Methot doesn't play a flashy game, but the more you watch him the more you come away with the appreciation for how consistently good he is.

Old
NEWFowler
hi

Won't even be invited..

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:12 PM
sharkie88

Absolutely not. I'm not questioning his value to the Sens but, this is the Olympics, and to say he is the 6th best Canadian defenceman in the game is ludicrous.

sharkie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:15 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

He's directly in competition with guys like Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo, Coburn, Staal and Girardi as shutdown/minute munching defensive guys, and really all those guys either have a more diverse skillset, a more prestigious reputation, or both. I think he's a guy who could go to the Olympics and have a surprisingly impressive tourny, but I just sincerely doubt he gets that opportunity. He'd make most other national D-Corps.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Ricky Bobby

Won't get invited.

Piet is a star # 1 dman.

Aside from the othe lock you mentioned can you honestly see Methot even being considered before defence first defencemen in Seabrook, Girardi, Staal, Hamhuis let alone Beauchemin who won't even probably get invited despite being talked about a Norris candidate in some circles this past season.

Then there are more offensive players like Phaneuf, Campbell, Boyle, Burns, Green.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:21 PM
BigZKingK

Subban, Letang, Doughty, Keith, Pie, Seabrook and Weber are almost all locks....

But he`ll get invited because most of those elite D-man are on the same side won`t make it thou

BigZKingK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back

I thought under the right circumstances he could be invited. It's on big ice so his skating will be a big plus, and if MacLean ends up being one of the assistant coaches I'm sure he knows the value of Methot better than anyone. Then consider that he's been a good 'soldier' for hockey Canada of late and I thought there might be a possibility to at least get an invite.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:29 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I thought under the right circumstances he could be invited. It's on big ice so his skating will be a big plus, and if MacLean ends up being one of the assistant coaches I'm sure he knows the value of Methot better than anyone. Then consider that he's been a good 'soldier' for hockey Canada of late and I thought there might be a possibility to at least get an invite.
There's too many "bubble" guys ahead of him. Hamhuis, Staal, Burns, Campbell, etc etc etc. He's good and is getting better, but Canada just has way too many great dmen to chose from.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Bob Kudelski

I agree he was Ottawa's MVP and most consistent player all season long, and is still very underrated. However, he should not be invited to camp. There's just too much talent ahead of him.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:48 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Not invited.

He's played for World Championship teams but won't make the cut IMO.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:50 PM
The Fuhr*

He's basically Robyn Regehr in his prime... should he dominate the start of the season he has a legit shot at making the team.

Would look good paired with Keith or Subban

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:51 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZKingK View Post
Subban, Letang, Doughty, Keith, Pie, Seabrook and Weber are almost all locks....

But he`ll get invited because most of those elite D-man are on the same side won`t make it thou
I could see him taking Seabrooks spot

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!

Really it all depends on how he is playing next year, I don't think he'll make it, but he does have a chance, it can't be just offense.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

No, but probably an invite.

Didn't they invite like 90 players last time??.. if they do that, for sure invite

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:07 PM
PAZ

Team Canada? No.
Team Anything but Canada? Possibly.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:26 PM
86Habs

I think he'll get invited to the summer camp. He's the kind of guy the current iteration of Hockey Canada loves - big, good skater (for a defensive d-man), very strong defensively, and has represented Canada a few times at the Worlds and played well. Had an excellent season in Ottawa. His lack of a 2-way game will keep him off the team IMO. The others that are clearly ahead of him on Team Canada's depth chart are either:

1) better all-around players - Weber, Keith, Doughty, Pietrangelo;
2) will be there for their offense - Letang, Subban; or
3) great defensively (and arguably better defensively than Methot), but more experienced and a little more well-rounded - Bouwmeester, Hamhuis, Staal, Seabrook.

Remember that Yzerman made some surprise picks at the 2009 summer camp, MacDonald and Robidas to name a few, so no one should be surprised if Methot's name comes up in August.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Benny FTW
k

I doubt it but you never know.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Sureves

No. Won't be invited.

Great player though.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:14 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Keith
Hamhuis
Bouwmeester
Phaneuf
Methot

We don't have much depth as far as left hand defensemen are concerned with only 3 of those players who will most likely make it. With his play in the playoffs and his impact at the Worlds last year he definitely deserves an invite to camp. You can't have all your dmen play offensively, with his size and shutdown ability he deserves a chance.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Methot for Team Canada? No way, the depth is just insane... maybe if there was a 2nd or a 3rd team.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote