HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

MacTavish Shopping/Looking To Move Horcoff & Hemsky

Old
06-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
MacTavish Shopping/Looking To Move Horcoff & Hemsky

Willis who writes for the Edmonton Journal

Quote:
MacTavish on Hemsky, Horcoff: "Ideal scenario would be to move them on and wish them the best."
https://twitter.com/JonathanWillis/s...21160326303744

Quote:
Also: "Would we welcome those players back if the right circumstance doesn't present itself, absolutely."
https://twitter.com/JonathanWillis/s...21271496327168

Last edited by Marlo Stanfield: 06-06-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

vCash: 500
Obviously he would. The problem is no one else wants them

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

I like Horcoff and think he'd be great on the Yotes' 3rd line, but he's overpaid by about 3 million. Would not make a move for him and would rather just wait and see if EDM buys him out.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
I would take Hemsky on the Jets for the right return. I don't know if there would be an agreement on the right return that would satisfy both sides though.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
Obviously he would. The problem is no one else wants them
Well saying "Ideal scenario would be to move them on and wish them the best." means he'd REALLY like to get rid of them lol. Figure Hemsky still has some value. As for Horcoff? Might be a bad contract for bad contract swap (Jovanovski?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
I like Horcoff and think he'd be great on the Yotes' 3rd line, but he's overpaid by about 3 million. Would not make a move for him and would rather just wait and see if EDM buys him out.
Horcoff has one of those deals where the cap hit is higher than the payout for the next two years; http://www.capgeek.com/player/11

Edmonton could always retain a million.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:25 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd take both in Phoenix, provided both come with 50% salary retention.

06-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Vajakki

Hemsky has some value I guess. One year left in contract at 5mil, VERY injury prone. Maybe late first rounder or average prospect and 2nd rounder.

Would be surprised if Horcoff is picked off waivers.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:26 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Well saying "Ideal scenario would be to move them on and wish them the best." means he'd REALLY like to get rid of them lol. Figure Hemsky still has some value. As for Horcoff? Might be a bad contract for bad contract swap (Jovanovski?)
Hemsky might get decent return. 1 year left at million isn't too bad as maybe a deadline acquisition or something.

Horcoff is likely to be bought out, traded for another bad contract like you said, or salary retained and traded. Thing is, he's actually a good 3rd line C. He's just overpaid.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:26 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post

Horcoff has one of those deals where the cap hit is higher than the payout for the next two years; http://www.capgeek.com/player/11

Edmonton could always retain a million.
True, his salary dips to $4M next year. But that's still way too much for the Yotes. Edmonton would have to eat half for us to consider a move, and I'd still rather play the waiting game and try to acquire him without giving up anything.

EDIT: If I had to make an offer, it'd probably be like Horcoff + 1/2 salary retention for a late-round pick + Gordon's UFA rights.

Last edited by IPreferPi: 06-06-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old
06-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Ricky Bobby

Horcoff should still be tradeable as his actual salary (4/3 the next two seasons) is less then his cap hit of 5.5 per.

Horcoff can still be a useful 3rd liner.

Look for a floor team like the Islanders, Panthers, Coyotes, Preds to inquire.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:28 PM
topchowda

Horcoffs $ is bad, but term (2 more years I think) is easy to eat for the Oilers (no financial or cap troubles). I am perfectly happy with Horcoff playing 3rd line center. He fills a need and does it well.

Hemsky is still a top 6 guy in my opinion, he was playing like it first 20 games of last season, before the broken foot. Too bad hes so injury prone. Yakupov has taken his spot on 2nd line RW and hes not the guy we need for the 3rd line. I think a team will take a chance and give up a late 1st if they are looking to inject skill into the line up

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Reign Nateo

If they were willing to eat some salary, they may get a couple picks. I don't see a lot of interest around the league in either of these guys. MacT is doing his due dilligence in making them available, but neither is a very attractive asset.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Kershaw

I think both have a market as long as the Oil eat up some money.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
seafoam

In before Horcoff for DiPi

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

I'd take Horcoff at half price in Calgary. I actually really like his game, just not his contract. He'd be a nice stop gap measure. Plays the whole 200 feet. Honestly, Horcoff is not the problem in Edmonton, the lack of defensive accountability is. Horcoff is a very accountable player.

I'd have no use for Hemsky even at half price. He's basically an injured version of Tanguay or Hudler. We have enough of that type of player.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Why in the world did MacTavish give Hemsky $5 mil there is no way in the world he's worth that kind of money and any team that makes the trade from him will want Edmonton to eat half of his salary he's to injured prone for that kind of money. Last season there was tons of speculation about Hemsky being available and then MacTavish resigns him for 2 years at $5 million a year I'm sure that any team needing help to reach the cap floor like the Islanders would take Hemskys contract.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Why in the world did MacTavish give Hemsky $5 mil ...and then MacTavish resigns him for 2 years at $5 million a year

Old
06-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Ricky Bobby

To Panthers:

Horcoff (7 million over next two seasons in real salary. 5.5 cap hit which won't be an issue for the Panthers).

Gives the Panthers a center to help replace the loss of Weiss and possibly Goc next off-season as well as mentor their youngsters.

To Oilers:

Kuba (4.2 million next season in real salary. 4 cap hit next season).

Gives the Oilers a vet D whose still capable of playing 20 minutes a night and they save 1.3 million cap space.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:36 PM
bucks_oil

So if the Oilers kept $1.0M each of Hemsky and Horcoff, what would your team offer?

Rationale for only keeping $1M: Hemsky --> could just wait till deadline and trade him as a rental, Horcoff --> actual salary already higher than cap, so there will be teams wanting/willing to eat cap.

We'd need NHL roster players, defensively oriented and tough to play against.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:37 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
To Panthers:

Horcoff (7 million over next two seasons in real salary. 5.5 cap hit which won't be an issue for the Panthers).

Gives the Panthers a center to help replace the loss of Weiss and possibly Goc next off-season.

To Oilers:

Kuba (4.2 million next season in real salary. 4 cap hit next season).

Gives the Oilers a vet D whose still capable of playing 20 minutes a night and they save 1.3 million cap space.
Good offer

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Why in the world did MacTavish give Hemsky $5 mil there is no way in the world he's worth that kind of money and any team that makes the trade from him will want Edmonton to eat half of his salary he's to injured prone for that kind of money. Last season there was tons of speculation about Hemsky being available and then MacTavish resigns him for 2 years at $5 million a year I'm sure that any team needing help to reach the cap floor like the Islanders would take Hemskys contract.
Tambellini gave him that contract not Mac T. Even then there's 1 year left so it's not TOO bad. I agree though salary will likely have to be retained.

Old
tucker3434

Why on earth would a GM say that to a reporter? Now that I know he wants to get rid of them, I'd offer some scraps for Hemsky.

It might get a little awkward in the clubhouse now if they don't get traded.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:38 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
So if the Oilers kept $1.0M each of Hemsky and Horcoff, what would your team offer?

Rationale for only keeping $1M: Hemsky --> could just wait till deadline and trade him as a rental, Horcoff --> actual salary already higher than cap, so there will be teams wanting/willing to eat cap.

We'd need NHL roster players, defensively oriented and tough to play against.
Already posted this above, but my offer would be a mid/late-round pick + Gordon's UFA rights for Horcoff at 50% salary retention.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

I've always pictured Hemsky on the Blue Jackets for some reason.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:40 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
Why on earth would a GM say that to a reporter? Now that I know he wants to get rid of them, I'd offer some scraps for Hemsky.

It might get a little awkward in the clubhouse now if they don't get traded.
Does it really matter? Everyone and their dog has known Hemsky has been available for years.

Horcoff is likely bought out anyway. Besides, you don't think he's talked to EVERY SINGLE TEAM before saying something like this? No big deal IMO.