Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Wait. BM said that after the season was over, didn't he? How does that translate to Bobby being shopped during the season? That seems to be what you're implying(and Noire seems to be suggesting that, too).
No, I only meant he absolutely was shopped after the season was over and BM made his big statement. At that point BM had to know Bobby was gone. Although many people here continued the "he's not being shopped" argument in every proposal on HF.

Although with all the drama the last year it becomes pretty semantical between "shopping" and "I listen to anything". Considering all the drama over Bobby the last year, of course people are going to call and ask if he's available. Knowing how many calls he is going to get, BM does not have to initiate anything to end up making a deal for Bobby. It obviously even looks better for him if he doesn't. But I'm not really looking to argue semantics at this point in time. Bobby's gone and it's time to move forward.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
No, I only meant he absolutely was shopped after the season was over and BM made his big statement. At that point BM had to know Bobby was gone. Although many people here continued the "he's not being shopped" argument in every proposal on HF.
You're guessing that's the case, but that doesn't mean it was the case. As was mentioned before, the part of those exit interviews everyone conveniently ignored is the part where he said he was going to take some time off to clear his head and then figure out what the best course of action was. Instead, many chose to project their pet idea into that statement that you quoted, but that was all speculation and should be treated as such. If Ryan was being shopped, then I have to take my hat off for keeping it under wraps the way he did. There wasn't anything like what we saw in the lead up to the Gaborik trade that tipped it off.

Old
08-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
Only thing that buffles me is how many RWs we have in out system. One would think there is a more pressing need at LW and the 2C position. The latter because I am not comfortable with Holland or Bonino at that position at the moment. This is not me ranting on the Ryan trade btw.
I don't think it's the case anymore. Murray was quoted recently in an nhl.com interview saying he likes Palmieri on his off wing but he still has some adapting to do defensively. We also now have Silfverberg who seems to be able to play any position as well as Penner, Maroon and Beleskey. As far as prospects go we have Kerdiles, Roy, DSP (can play both) and I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

Old
08-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
You're guessing that's the case, but that doesn't mean it was the case. As was mentioned before, the part of those exit interviews everyone conveniently ignored is the part where he said he was going to take some time off to clear his head and then figure out what the best course of action was. Instead, many chose to project their pet idea into that statement that you quoted, but that was all speculation and should be treated as such. If Ryan was being shopped, then I have to take my hat off for keeping it under wraps the way he did. There wasn't anything like what we saw in the lead up to the Gaborik trade that tipped it off.
Yes, I'm guessing. But it still seems to come down to the semantics of "being shopped" versus "listening to offers". Being shopped, to me, does not mean dump him at all costs. Bob knew what the market was on Ryan. He'd had a year of phone calls already. I think at season's end he finally decided Bobby wasn't going to take it to the next level here and decided to move Bobby. At that point he already had a pretty good idea what he could get.

I certainly don't equate all players being shopped as being in Gaborik like situations. I also don't see it as a negative if a player is being shopped. My saying that was not meant as a negative towards Bobby. Players are nothing more than assets to teams. Sometimes you're tired of the Camero and think a Mustang is a better car for you. I think BM finally decided he was tired of his Chevy and went looking at Fords, Toyotas, Hondas, etc, and ended up trading his Chevy for a Volvo and a Ford.

Old
08-07-2013, 02:22 AM
Paul4587

FWIW I saw an interview with the other BM - maybe on TSN or CBC I can't recall exactly. Anyway in the interview he heavily implied Ryan was in play. I think he said something along the lines of that he knew Ryan was available and he wanted to acquire him and sign Alfredsson but obviously couldn't get the latter done.

I'll try dig it up but my memory is hazy as to the source and how long ago I heard it - it was likely early July.

Old
08-29-2013, 07:00 AM
jayck

If Selanne return, do you guys think there's still place for Etem to play top6 ?
And even if Selanne dosnt' come back, what's ceiling for this Kid ? Will he continue to the pace he had in the playoff or he won't be that good?

Old
08-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Exit Dose

Etem playing in our top six isn't guaranteed if Selanne doesn't come back. Palmieri and Silfverberg are the likely guys for the new spots.

I doubt he'll be on the pace he was on during the playoffs, but I suspect he'll be on a higher pace than he was over last season. If he's here, I figure he'll be on pace for 25-35 points depending on opportunities and development.

Old
08-29-2013, 10:35 AM
jayck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Etem playing in our top six isn't guaranteed if Selanne doesn't come back. Palmieri and Silfverberg are the likely guys for the new spots.

I doubt he'll be on the pace he was on during the playoffs, but I suspect he'll be on a higher pace than he was over last season. If he's here, I figure he'll be on pace for 25-35 points depending on opportunities and development.
So you place Palmieri RW this year? Because he can play LW. I though it would be good to have them 3 on top 6 IMO (Etem, Palmieri and Silf)
I love Palmieri's game but I don't know that much about Etem. Everything I read about him seems to be optimistic (speed, scoring ability, tough) but in here you guys seems not to have the same opinion?

Old
08-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayck View Post
So you place Palmieri RW this year? Because he can play LW. I though it would be good to have them 3 on top 6 IMO (Etem, Palmieri and Silf)
I love Palmieri's game but I don't know that much about Etem. Everything I read about him seems to be optimistic (speed, scoring ability, tough) but in here you guys seems not to have the same opinion?

Minus Selanne, its Penner, Silfverberg and Palmieri with Perry as the Top 6 wingers. But obviously outside of CP none of those three will be gifted spots, leaving a guy like Etem a chance to steal a place if he earns it in training camp/preseason.

Etem was very impressive last season, showing a lot more than I thought he would playing in a 4th line role. Kid's speed was incredible and he was so tenacious on the forecheck. But the offensive game didn't really show until the playoffs, and that's a really small sample size. There's every reason to be excited about him though, because the offense was there at every other level.

Old
08-29-2013, 04:59 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Minus Selanne, its Penner, Silfverberg and Palmieri with Perry as the Top 6 wingers. But obviously outside of CP none of those three will be gifted spots, leaving a guy like Etem a chance to steal a place if he earns it in training camp/preseason.

Etem was very impressive last season, showing a lot more than I thought he would playing in a 4th line role. Kid's speed was incredible and he was so tenacious on the forecheck. But the offensive game didn't really show until the playoffs, and that's a really small sample size. There's every reason to be excited about him though, because the offense was there at every other level.
If anything that should be even more impressive (especially against a good Red Wings team).

Old
08-29-2013, 05:05 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Palmieri - Getzlaf - Perry
Silfverberg - Koivu - Selanne*
Penner - Bonino - Cogliano
Beleskey - Holland - Winnik
Maroon - Smithson**

Fowler - Beauchemin
Sbisa - Lovejoy
Allen - Vatanen
Fistric

Hiller
Fasth

* If Selanne doesn't return, Etem should make the team
** Need a 4th/5th center, Rakell should start in the AHL.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post
If anything that should be even more impressive (especially against a good Red Wings team).
More impressive than if it had been there all season? I'm not so sure. 7 games is still only 7 games.

08-29-2013, 05:38 PM
AngelDuck

It makes so much sense for Etem to start in the AHL on a line with Noesen and Rakell. Let all 3 of them play big minutes and develop together

Old
08-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Chris Kreider says "hi, sample size matters".

Old
08-29-2013, 05:49 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
More impressive than if it had been there all season? I'm not so sure. 7 games is still only 7 games.
Fair enough. I should have been more specific. Considering that we saw his progression from an 'energy' player on the fourth line to a scoring threat (I am using this term a bit loosely) in the playoffs, I was pretty impressed about that.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Fair enough. I should have been more specific. Considering that we saw his progression from an 'energy' player on the fourth line to a scoring threat (I am using this term a bit loosely) in the playoffs, I was pretty impressed about that.
Yeah, no argument from me there. Now we just need to see if he can keep doing it, and for sustained periods.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:59 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
To start the year...assuming Beauchemin is recovering and Selanne doesn't come back

Silfverberg-Getzlaf-Perry
Palmieri-Bonino-Etem
Penner-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Holland-Winnik

Fowler-Fistric
Sbisa-Lovejoy
Allen-Vatanen/Lindholm

Hiller
Fasth

Old
08-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

I would be really uncomfortable with Fistric getting that kind of responsibility.

Old
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
I would be really uncomfortable with Fistric getting that kind of responsibility.
For a couple weeks? I thought about Sbisa...but no one is really reliable.

Old
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Fistric playing top pairing minutes?

With both Souray and Beauchemin out there should in my mind be no doubt about our temporary top pairing. It should be Fowler-Lovejoy.

For the rest I'd put up Sbisa with Lindholm and Allen with Vatanen.

Old
08-29-2013, 06:43 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Fistric playing top pairing minutes?

With both Souray and Beauchemin out there should in my mind be no doubt about our temporary top pairing. It should be Fowler-Lovejoy.

For the rest I'd put up Sbisa with Lindholm and Allen with Vatanen.
Yeah I guess.

I was just envisioning a physical partner for Fowler. Didn't think that one through.

Old
08-30-2013, 03:57 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

So now I guess we're looking at Penner, Perry, Teemu and Silfverberg for the wings in our top6. It's a shame if Palmieri have to play on the 4th line again this season. On the other hand it also illustrates our depth.

Penner-Getzlaf-Perry
Silfverberg-Bonino-Selanne
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Rakell/Holland-Palmieri

I would go as far as saying we have four scoring lines. Maroon/Staubitz could be added to our 4th line for additional toughness.

Old
08-30-2013, 04:06 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Contrary to popular belief Teemu re-signing doesn't endanger Etem's roster spot, it endangers Penner's. If you look at this forward group compared to it in May the only differences are Silfverberg and Penner. Silfverberg obviously replaces Bobby and Penner was, in my mind, brought in just in case Teemu didn't come back. Teemu might bump Etem from the top-6 at least to start but there's no reason Penner bumps him from the lineup. He's slow, lost his scoring touch and doesn't kill penalties. Etem is better than him, right now, in just about every aspect of the game. I would love it if Murph just acknowledged that he was an insurance policy and trade him but I highly doubt that. I think Staubitz gets traded or waived for sure. I can't conceivably imagine how he stays on this team.

Bottom line I think sending Etem down in favor of Penner hurts this team. Regardless though based on how he finished the year you can't pencil him in to be demoted. His play will dictate that and if he continues to play like he did in April and May he isn't going anywhere.

Old
08-30-2013, 04:10 PM
jayck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Contrary to popular belief Teemu re-signing doesn't endanger Etem's roster spot, it endangers Penner's. If you look at this forward group compared to it in May the only differences are Silfverberg and Penner. Silfverberg obviously replaces Bobby and Penner was, in my mind, brought in just in case Teemu didn't come back. Teemu might bump Etem from the top-6 at least to start but there's no reason Penner bumps him from the lineup. He's slow, lost his scoring touch and doesn't kill penalties. Etem is better than him, right now, in just about every aspect of the game. I would love it if Murph just acknowledged that he was an insurance policy and trade him but I highly doubt that. I think Staubitz gets traded or waived for sure. I can't conceivably imagine how he stays on this team.

Bottom line I think sending Etem down in favor of Penner hurts this team. Regardless though based on how he finished the year you can't pencil him in to be demoted. His play will dictate that and if he continues to play like he did in April and May he isn't going anywhere.
Amen

Old
08-30-2013, 04:26 PM
AngelDuck

Even in an extreme down year Penner still scored more than Etem. Penner is also a proven 20 goal scorer in the NHL. Etem will start in the AHL where he belongs

Closed Thread