Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

vCash: 500
So, fro my previous post - with 7,7 M i would try to make these moves:
(NO POSSIBLE TRADES AND BUYOUTS)

Sign Koivu for 3,0 M
Sign Beleskey for 1,5 M
Sign Palmieri for 2,5 M
Sign Lovejoy for 1,5 M (dammit, he deserves it)
Sign Steckel for 1,1 M

That ads a lot of good role players. Our defense is still kind of crappy and Allen - Souray are still overpaid, but i doubt we have money to buy them out. Souray has a NTC and Allen will be hard to move in this tight cap space this offseason.

These players i signed fill important roles and they already know the system and organization. So, no new faces, basically.

This allows to make a roster of:

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Beleskey - Bonino - Etem
Cogliano - Koivu - Winnik
Maroon - Steckel - Palmieri
Staubitz

Beauchemin - Fowler
Souray - Sbisa
Allen - Vatanen
Lovejoy

Hiller
Fasth

We have still 910k of cap space. This is not a contenders team, but still a pretty solid playoff team that now each other well and have a very good depth in Norfolk, which should be a playoff team too with talent down there. Ducklings can build up a winning environment in Norfolk while some may get a few callups since injuries are gonna happen anyways.

Etem - Palmieri swap and few other minor elements could change, but i would definately love to see this lineup. And again - this would make Norfolk that much stronger also.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
So, fro my previous post - with 7,7 M i would try to make these moves:
(NO POSSIBLE TRADES AND BUYOUTS)

Sign Koivu for 3,0 M
Sign Beleskey for 1,5 M
Sign Palmieri for 2,5 M
Sign Lovejoy for 1,5 M (dammit, he deserves it)

Sign Steckel for 1,1 M
The bolded are too high. Palmieri has no leverage - he gets $2.5M only if he signs a fairly long deal(4 yrs+). Beleskey is turning into a great bottom 6 player but those guys don't get paid until UFA generally. Lovejoy exceeded my expectations but at the end of the day he's a #6-7 guy, we can't afford to give him $1.5M to sit on the bench/play 14 mins a night and I don't want to see him in the top 4 again.

And on second thought - Steckel is lucky to be in the NHL after his stint with Toronto - he may re-sign with us for less because we rescued him from 13th forward duty.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
The bolded are too high. Palmieri has no leverage - he gets $2.5M only if he signs a fairly long deal(4 yrs+). Beleskey is turning into a great bottom 6 player but those guys don't get paid until UFA generally. Lovejoy exceeded my expectations but at the end of the day he's a #6-7 guy, we can't afford to give him $1.5M to sit on the bench/play 14 mins a night and I don't want to see him in the top 4 again.

And on second thought - Steckel is lucky to be in the NHL after his stint with Toronto - he may re-sign with us for less because we rescued him from 13th forward duty.
I gave them a bit more than i was willing, but i thought that it was somewhat fair after all.
Palmieri had 0,5 PPG pace last season and is getting better each season. I think he`ll get something between 2-2,5
Beleskey scored 8 goals in 42 games last season (although many of the with Getz) and you made a fair point about bottom 6 players. Around 1 M could be right, though.
Lovejoy played 18+ minutes and scored 10 points, he vas very good. The rest of our defense sucks, but i doubt we can change it right now without buying out something. I still think it is a fair amount.
And as for Steckel, i don`t think he can be thankfull to us he`s NHL player. He could easily land a job on ~15-20 NHL teams, imo. But probably he would agree on a bit less than last seasons salary.

I was trying to be realistic. Some of them will require a raise.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:15 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Palmieri on the 4th line and Beleskey on the 2nd line?

I think we will see both Palmieri and Etem get top6 minutes.

As long as BB rolls four lines I'm confident to start Rakell as 4th line C. Having him with players like Beleskey and Maroon would give us a 4th line with grit, hitting, possible scoring and some playmaking. Just what I personally would want from a 4th line. Also worth noting that Rakell was 50% or better in FOs in 3 out of his 4 games during his stint this season. Small sample size, but still.

Last edited by quentez: 06-07-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old
06-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Palmieri on the 4th line and Beleskey on the 2nd line?

I think we will see both Palmieri and Etem get top6 minutes.

As long as BB rolls four lines I'm confident to start Rakell as 4th line C.
It`s because both Maroon and Beleskey both play left wing. Then we have to keep Palms and Etem on the right side, them sharing 2nd and 4th lines. Palms on the 2nd and Etem on the 4th could be the right choice there, as i said it in my post. It all depends on Bruce.

And as for Rakell, i would like to see him develop physically a bit more in the pro league (AHL). He wasn`t able to go there last year because of the rules, but he is available now.

Old
06-09-2013, 07:51 PM
OCSportsfan

Assuming we sign Beleskey and Palmieri, we are not going to have very much room for a prospect on offense.

Already signed
Palmieri-Getz-Perry
Ryan-Bonino-Etem
Cogs-open-Winnick
Beleskey-open-maroon

We have two center positions open, Koivu and Steckel. Holland could take one, but Rakell is going to the AHL. Even if he does great in preseason, I dont think they will keep him up unless Holland is not ready. I could see us signing Steckel and Koivu again, but who knows. As far as DSP, I think he will be in the AHL again for one more year.

Defense
Already signed
Beauch-Souray
Allen-fowler
Sbisa-open

I could see Vatanen taking that spot in place of Lovejoy and maybe signing a 7th defensemen or bringing up a Clark type player to begin the year.

Unless there is a trade or a potential second line center available in FA, I dont see us doing to much prior to the beginning of the season.

Old
06-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
If we go into the next season with Allen as Fowler's D partner, I'm going to be pissed.

06-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
If we go into the next season with Allen as Fowler's D partner, I'm going to be pissed.
And yet I think they could be a great pair if Allen would only realize Fowler exists.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
And yet I think they could be a great pair if Allen would only realize Fowler exists.
I guess I don't expect that to change. It felt like the only time Allen was willing to pass Fowler the puck was when Allen was in trouble, and he'd use Fowler as an outlet whether he was open or not.

Cam needs a partner who has strengths that can complement his own, which Allen may qualify for, but he also needs someone who knows what those strengths are, and is able to help put him into situations where he can use those strengths. Allen definitely doesn't qualify for that, based on what we saw.

Basically, I think Allen works with Fowler when Allen doesn't have the puck. He makes good decisions, works hard, and plays a good positional game. Not to mention he has the size and strength to aid Fowler in areas he has trouble in. When Allen does have the puck, though, he seems as dumb as a bag of bricks. He just doesn't seem to think quickly, his entire game seems to slow down when the puck is on his stick(and not in a good way), and he just scares me when he's under pressure from a strong forecheck. Fowler looks like he's ready for more responsibility, but we definitely need to give him a D partner who can handle that (even strength) responsibility, too. I just don't trust Allen with top pairing responsibility at even strength, and I don't think we'd be doing Fowler any favors by asking him to do more without giving him a proper D partner.

(I know you weren't trying to imply Allen should be that guy, I was just thinking out loud)

Old
06-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Yeah, Allen is one half of a great defenseman.

I feel like Lydman could be a good partner for Fowler, at least good Lydman. I dunno what the hell happened to him earlier in the year.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:38 PM
DaDucks

What about the prospect of targeting a number 2 Dman that can turn into a number 1..

Hjalmarsson?

Old
06-09-2013, 08:42 PM
AngelDuck

I'd love Hjammer, but would CHI really look to move him? Do they even have a need for Bobby?

Old
06-09-2013, 08:45 PM
DaDucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I'd love Hjammer, but would CHI really look to move him? Do they even have a need for Bobby?
Ya I've been drooling over

Ryan +

For

Saad jhammer LOL like chi would do that...

There's a thread up about jhammer in the Chicago forum.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:59 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
Ya I've been drooling over

Ryan +

For

Saad jhammer LOL like chi would do that...

There's a thread up about jhammer in the Chicago forum.
If I'm BM, I'm asking about Seabrook. Fowler-Seabrook would be nice.

Old
06-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Are they looking at cap problems or something?

Old
06-09-2013, 09:14 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Are they looking at cap problems or something?
Yeah, with Kane and Toews needing new deals they might not be able to keep Seabrook and Hjalmarsson passed next year.

Old
06-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Ah. Well obviously Ryan's going to be too rich for their blood, then.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
What about the prospect of targeting a number 2 Dman that can turn into a number 1..

Hjalmarsson?
Top pairing is about the limit of Hjalmarsson's potential.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Ah. Well obviously Ryan's going to be too rich for their blood, then.
Yup. I'd expect them to want a blue chip prospect(or as close as they can get) as a big piece heading their way. Someone who will be cost controlled, and can likely fill a secondary role with the expectation that they can develop into a primary one. Lindholm, Etem, Karlsson, Rakell, well, you get the idea. Basically one of our best prospects would be where we'd start.

Those are the type of additions that, I think, are necessary to maintain a competitive team in the salary cap era. That is, if you want to hold on to your core players.

Old
06-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSportsfan View Post
Assuming we sign Beleskey and Palmieri, we are not going to have very much room for a prospect on offense.

Already signed
Palmieri-Getz-Perry
Ryan-Bonino-Etem
Cogs-open-Winnick
Beleskey-open-maroon

We have two center positions open, Koivu and Steckel. Holland could take one, but Rakell is going to the AHL. Even if he does great in preseason, I dont think they will keep him up unless Holland is not ready. I could see us signing Steckel and Koivu again, but who knows. As far as DSP, I think he will be in the AHL again for one more year.

Defense
Already signed
Beauch-Souray
Allen-fowler
Sbisa-open

I could see Vatanen taking that spot in place of Lovejoy and maybe signing a 7th defensemen or bringing up a Clark type player to begin the year.

Unless there is a trade or a potential second line center available in FA, I dont see us doing to much prior to the beginning of the season.
Are you sure that Maroon can play right wing?
In my lineup i put one of them on 2nd and other - on 4th line, because i can`t recall the playing on right wing. That leaves Palms and Etem splitting 2nd and 4th line RW (if Ryan is on the top line).

Old
06-10-2013, 07:16 AM
idiroft

Palmieri - Getzlaf - Perry
Etem - Bonino - Ryan
Winnik - Koivu - Cogliano
Beleskey - Holland - Smith-Pelly

Fowler - Beauchemin
Souray - Sbisa
Allen - Vataten

Hiller
Fasth

Of course signing Lydman or Lovejoy would be great and ease, but BM really need to look for another top 4 D. Souray and Sbisa at this point do not give guarantees of being up to the task next year.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:11 AM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
If I'm BM, I'm asking about Seabrook. Fowler-Seabrook would be nice.
Fowler and Seabrook would be a luxury. And then we'd be able to back it up with Beauchemin on a second pair? I'd kill for a move like that because that would mean we could put Sbisa together with Beauchmein again (the best he's ever played in his career.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:45 AM
DigitalSea
#50in15

Do you guys think we see Lindholm at all next year? Prior to this season I would have pegged him as making the jump to the NHL before Vatanen.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueLinee View Post
Do you guys think we see Lindholm at all next year? Prior to this season I would have pegged him as making the jump to the NHL before Vatanen.
At least a callup for sure, if he stays away from injuries, i think.

Beauch will be injured to start the season (?), we all know that Souray could use a game off at some times etc.

I think he will get an opportunity.

Old
07-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Bump....With the new additions what do you say now?

Closed Thread