HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec

Old
10-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Not sure I agree with this at all...I think his play the last 2 years has been average at best, I've become accustomed to much better play from Plekanec than he's shown recently.

But this wasn't all his fault, the coaching staff has been asking him to do way too much...and I think the reason why we've seen him play better the last 5-6 games is because the coaching staff has decided to give Eller a lot more responsibility (and Desharnais, a lot less).

Eller has lessened the burden on Plekanec...he can focus on doing more offensively because he's not always constantly matched up against the oppositions best or in the other sense, the oppositions best aren't always constantly matched up against him.
When you evaluate a player like him you can't just look at offense, his responsibilities are much deeper. Plus 2 years ago he played half the year with AHLers and 4th liners due to trades and injuries.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 02:32 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Imagine if we keep him and fast forward time to 5 years into the future...

Galchenyuk #1 Center
Eller #2 Center
Plekanec #3 Center.

Pretty solid.
Except that Plek will be 35. Not solid. At all. Go check how many effective NHLers are over 32 now. You'd be surprised.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 02:38 AM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Except that Plek will be 35. Not solid. At all. Go check how many effective NHLers are over 32 now. You'd be surprised.
Pretty foolish comment imo. So far, Plekanec has played 8 seasons in the NHL and probably hasn't missed more than 15 games collectively. If that continues, he would be a fantastic 3rd line checking center with offensive upside at that age.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 02:40 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Hawks won the Cup with 35 years old Handzus as their 2nd line C,

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 02:47 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I don't think we should trade Pleks, way to important to the team and should still have a few years left in him while on top of his game. I understand why some suggest trading him, but the Habs are in this weird spot. Their cup contending window looks a couple years away when the current young core gets to their prime, but they're still a good team now and need Pleks to keep the current pace. Trading him away now is taking a step backwards while hoping to take two steps forward in the future.
The sentimentality here is understandable, but there is no place for it if you want a cup.

Pleks will not be key in our cup window. He is getting too old.

We badly need a young RW very good sniper/net driver for our cup window and Pleks is possibly the only replaceable trade bait we have that is good enough to get this, in a package. Replaceable. That is key. Remember that.

Good free agent RW available in 2014 are too old, and too expensive. If they are younger, they will be locked up. Go look at the list. FA officially sucks.

Further, Pleks can be replaced at least decently by Eller next year, and Chucky the year after.

Finally, we have no prospects in the system that look assured to become 1st line RW in the next 2 years. Thomas, LL, Collberg...not happening.

All of the above is really obvious. It's frustrating people do not see it.

It is not about Pleks in the past, it is about Pleks in the next 5 years. And it will be decline.

No one lasts. Especially the NHL now, where 30 is getting old. It is sad. But there it is.

Pleks should be packaged at the deadline or this summer for a good young NHL RW scorer, if even possible. It will not be possible after this year.

Last edited by bsl: 10-31-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old
10-31-2013, 03:02 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
The sentimentality here is understandable, but there is no place for it if you want a cup.

We badly need a young RW very good sniper/net driver for our cup window and Pleks is possibly the only replaceable trade bait we have that is good enough to get this, in a package.

Good free agent RW available in 2014 are to old, and too expensive. If they are younger, they will be locked up. Go look at the list. FA officially sucks.

Further, Pleks can be replaced at least decently by Eller next year, and Chucky the year after.

Finally, we have no prospects in the system that look assured to become 1st line RW in the next 2 years. Thomas, LL, Collberg...not happening.

This is really obvious. It's frustrating people do not see it. It is not about Pleks in the past, it is about Pleks in the next 5 years. And it will be decline.

No one lasts. Especially the NHL now, where 30 is getting old. It is sad. But there it is.

Pleks should be packaged at the deadline or this summer for a good young NHL RW scorer, if even possible. It will not be possible after this year.
werent you talking about Oct 2014 as beginning of cup window in a previous post ? I mean, if the best Eller can do is replace Plekanec "decently", no way we're contenders...

come on man...

Old
10-31-2013, 03:03 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

We badly need a young RW very good sniper/net driver for our cup window and Pleks is possibly the only replaceable trade bait we have that is good enough to get this, in a package.

Good free agent RW available in 2014 are too old, and too expensive. If they are younger, they will be locked up. Go look at the list. FA officially sucks.

All of the above is really obvious. It's frustrating people do not see it.

It is not about Pleks in the past, it is about Pleks in the next 5 years. And it will be decline.

last Cup winners, three 30+ years old in their top 6...

Old
10-31-2013, 03:15 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
werent you talking about Oct 2014 as beginning of cup window in a previous post ? I mean, if the best Eller can do is replace Plekanec "decently", no way we're contenders...

come on man...
Yes true, and losing Pleks will weaken us in that first window year. No question. But you have to balance that with the need to trade him while he still has high enough value to get us a good quality RW. A much more pressing need going forward.

We have nothing at Top RW, whereas we have Eller next year and especially Chuckie in 2 years to replace Pleks.

And we could luck a cup next year with likely improvement on D, with the addition of a very good top RW, and with Price standing on his head. Not likely, but possible.

All of this is just so obvious, i don't know why anyone would disagree. And it has nothing to do with how fantastic Pleks is, and has been for Habs. Of course he is and has been great. But we have greater needs, and he is key to filling them.

Last edited by bsl: 10-31-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old
10-31-2013, 03:21 AM
bsl

Quote:
last Cup winners, three 30+ years old in their top 6...
And a lot of 25 year olds... How many of the 30 plus were on line 1?

I never said no one over 30, it is just that Pleks at 32 on line 1 with LL is WAY less effective than a gifted 26 year RW sniper playing with a 22 year old Chuckie on line 1...

And BTW, I think Marky at 37 will still be very effective on the second pairing, and I've been saying that for 2 years. Looks like it's coming true too.

But this is very rare. And not for 1st O line. No. Need youth and speed. and we need a RW, badly.

and that 26 year old sniper will require a very good player like Pleks to obtain.

Nothing is for free man!

Have a couple of Recchis on the 2nd and third line, fine. If you are lucky, because that is really rare, and becoming more so. But you need the youth and stamina on all lines now to win a cup, I really believe this.

Last edited by bsl: 10-31-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old
10-31-2013, 03:25 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Yes true, and losing Pleks will weaken us in that first window year. No question. But you have to balance that with the need to trade him while he still has high enough value to get us a good quality RW. A much more pressing need going forward.

We have nothing at Top RW, whereas we have Eller next year and especially Chuckie in 2 years to replace Pleks.

And we could luck a cup next year with likely improvement on D, with the addition of a very good top RW, and with Price standing on his head. Not likely, but possible.

All of this is just so obvious, i don't know why anyone would disagree. And it has nothing to do with how fantastic Pleks is, and has been for Habs. Of course he is and has been great. Bit we have greater needs, and he is key to filling them.
balance ? what balance are you talking about... Eller replacing Plekanec "decently", Galchenyuk with barely any experience at C...

you should doublecheck your theory mate... Plekanec replaced only decently, Price standing on his head... that's the requirement for your "cup window theory" ? and you wonder why others dont see the obvious ? seriously ?

you are providing arguments against your own cup window theory yourself... THAT is obvious

Old
10-31-2013, 03:59 AM
bsl

Quote:
balance ? what balance are you talking about... Eller replacing Plekanec "decently", Galchenyuk with barely any experience at C...

you should doublecheck your theory mate... Plekanec replaced only decently, Price standing on his head... that's the requirement for your "cup window theory" ? and you wonder why others dont see the obvious ? seriously ?

you are providing arguments against your own cup window theory yourself... THAT is obvious
I've enjoyed this debate and if you are in America you are up really late dude.

Eller replacing Pleks and Price having to stand on his head was not about the entire cup window, only next year man.

Meanwhile, we would have a great top RW going forward into the remaining 4 +- years of cup window...

Anyway I enjoyed our debate, and respect your opinion...going on to another thread to irritate guys there... It's only 5PM here...

Old
10-31-2013, 04:17 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I've enjoyed this debate and if you are in America you are up really late dude.

Eller replacing Pleks and Price having to stand on his head was not about the entire cup window, only next year man.

Meanwhile, we would have a great top RW going forward into the remaining 4 +- years of cup window...

Anyway I enjoyed our debate, and respect your opinion...going on to another thread to irritate guys there... It's only 5PM here...
happens when you work till 3 AM

better at wing, worst at C... the window thingie sure isnt getting any bigger

and then, the ONLY regular D signed past this season is Gorges... so...

Old
10-31-2013, 04:56 AM
Spearmint Rhino

I've been guilty of shopping Pleks cause he is one of our best trade assets and we have some depth at C not cause I want to get rid of him or don't respect his 2 way game or that I think anyone can replace him, especially not DD

Any move involving Tomas would be contingent on upgrading for a #3 shut down C prior to trading him

The way he's playing now it would take a bonafide top 2 LHD for me to even consider it though

Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Dagistitsyn

Wow, I just thought about how horribly depressing today must be for Plekanec. Today is his birthday, but it's also the first time the Habs org. has done this Father/Son trip. All players fathers are traveling with the team. Plekanec's father died just before the season started.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:07 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Wow, I just thought about how horribly depressing today must be for Plekanec. Today is his birthday, but it's also the first time the Habs org. has done this Father/Son trip. All players fathers are traveling with the team. Plekanec's father died just before the season started.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:28 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Oh ****.

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 07:52 PM
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al

This guy is a gamer, got to think he will be motivated on this roadtrip. Also have to think the organization did something or asked him or something.

On a happier note, I just lost it when plekanec gets the voice changer
http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...72520&catid=66

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 09:18 PM
dutchy29

The most.... consistently great players on the habs since the departure of Saku Koivu, never gets enough credit because hes small and not flashy type. Love him. would hate to see him go.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Et le But

According to Extra Skater's stats, Plekanec currently has the 3rd highest quality of competition among centers in the NHL, and is 17th in fewest percentage of shifts starting in the offensive zone.

Yet once again he's the leading forward in points and is tied with Pacioretty and Gallagher for points scored.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 09:27 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
According to Extra Skater's stats, Plekanec currently has the 3rd highest quality of competition among centers in the NHL, and is 17th in fewest percentage of shifts starting in the offensive zone.

Yet once again he's the leading forward in points and is tied with Pacioretty and Gallagher for points scored.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 06:47 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

my long time fave player. does what is asked of him often at the loss of flashy stats. never complains. is his own biggest critic. serious gamer. steady and rarely injured. class guy with dry sense of humor.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Clumsyhab

Hope he gets a nomination for the Selke this season.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Craig71

Plekanec is our most complete forward ainec and some of you would trade Crosby or Malkin so you are easily over looked.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Do you know any other website like the one you're talking? I love that kind of stats. I know Behind the net too. What are the others?

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:51 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Mon Amour View Post
Do you know any other website like the one you're talking? I love that kind of stats. I know Behind the net too. What are the others?
enattendantlesnordiques.blogspot.com is a great site. Not pure stats, but statistical analysis of each game. Very interesting stuff.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote