HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Richards, Eager supsended

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2005, 04:00 PM
RoDu

vCash: 500
Richards, Eager supsended

http://www.theahl.com/AHL/News/2005/05/24/1053784.html

Old
05-24-2005, 04:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Not good, but I'll take that trade off. I'd have to actually see what happened. Ben Eager hasn't exactly been a good influence. The Phantoms are in better shape with this than the Bruins are. This just means R.J. Umberger gets more ice time, and Patrick Sharp needs to show up.

Old
05-24-2005, 04:12 PM
mercury

That blows.

Old
05-24-2005, 04:15 PM
MojoJojo

OK, I get that Richards and Boyes were suspended. They did fight willingly after the game was over. But what did Ben Eager do that was so terrible? I understand that was barely even a fight, and if memory serves, both benches emptied.

Anyway, we have enough depth without Eager, and while losing Richards hurts, it is more or less equivelent to the Bruins losing Boyes. Next game is going to be Veeerrrryy interesting.

Personally, without the fear of having a bloodbath scare away the casual American TV audience, I dont see why they wont let them duke it out. Fans who go and watch minor league hockey LOVE to watch fights, and are disappointed if they dont get at least one or two per game. Legal issues?

Old
05-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Eat It

I read a description of the end of the game scrum that said Eager sparked the whole thing by crosschecking Hilbert from behind after the goal was scored. If that's the case it'd explain the suspension.

Old
05-24-2005, 04:47 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Ben Eager hasn't exactly been a good influence.
As I asked in another thread, how's that?

Last edited by GKJ: 05-24-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old
05-24-2005, 05:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Quote:
Ben Eager hasn't exactly been a good influence.
As I asked in another thread, how's that?

He's been rather undisciplined.

Old
05-24-2005, 06:27 PM
paxtang

Quote:
He's been rather undisciplined.
He has two minors this series. For a guy that is as physical as him, that's not bad.

Old
05-24-2005, 06:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
He has two minors this series. For a guy that is as physical as him, that's not bad.

Well he just got suspended for a game, I call that undisciplined too. This is the playoffs, we don't have time for those kind of antics. I guarentee Todd Fedoruk will make some smarter decisions.

Why was he being scratched to begin with? Must be a real confidence-builder for a regular enforcer on the Flyers to now be in the AHL and still be getting scratched in the playoffs.

Old
05-24-2005, 06:39 PM
paxtang

The vet rule.

Fedoruk is the one vet to not play on special teams, so when they wanted to put Murphy back in, he was the guy to sit. Sim is their second best goal scorer. Kane is the captain (for some reason). Meloche is a top PK guy. Ready is a pk, pp guy and on the top line. Fedoruk has played well in the playoffs, but he was the guy to sit.

I don't think you can really blame Eager for being undisciplined while being in a line brawl.

Old
05-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I said it once and I'll say it again, this is BS. But on a positive note we have these two resting up and getting ever more anxious to play.

Old
05-24-2005, 09:54 PM
goodrev

look at it this way, at least richards won his fight convicingly... from what i heard on the radio he put a pretty good beating on the guy and was even punching him while on his knees after the fight was won lol.... its good to have a smaller guy who can scrap and score, as well as show a great amount of spirit and skill

Old
05-24-2005, 09:59 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I said it once and I'll say it again, this is BS. But on a positive note we have these two resting up and getting ever more anxious to play.
Good point... I don't know AHL rules, but in the OHL a second fight in the same stoppage results in a suspension - would this be the case here?

FYI - the last time Richards returned from a 2-game suspension, he lit the place up - here's hoping he does that again!

Old
05-24-2005, 10:32 PM
RoDu

The loss of Richards shouldn't hurt much at all. Remember he only joined the team in round 2. The team got that far without him, they can survive one game

Old
05-25-2005, 12:06 AM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
The vet rule.

Fedoruk is the one vet to not play on special teams, so when they wanted to put Murphy back in, he was the guy to sit. Sim is their second best goal scorer. Kane is the captain (for some reason). Meloche is a top PK guy. Ready is a pk, pp guy and on the top line. Fedoruk has played well in the playoffs, but he was the guy to sit.

I don't think you can really blame Eager for being undisciplined while being in a line brawl.
In games 1 and 2 of the 3rd round both Mark Murphy and Todd Fedoruk were scratched. That leaves Riley Cote playing over Todd Fedoruk

Old
05-25-2005, 08:24 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
In games 1 and 2 of the 3rd round both Mark Murphy and Todd Fedoruk were scratched. That leaves Riley Cote playing over Todd Fedoruk
Cote and Gratton's line were the line that got the team going in that comback game in the WB/S series. The really brought a lot of energy, and Stevens rewarded Cote with keeping him in the line up for the next few games.

Old
05-26-2005, 01:49 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Personally, without the fear of having a bloodbath scare away the casual American TV audience, I dont see why they wont let them duke it out. Fans who go and watch minor league hockey LOVE to watch fights, and are disappointed if they dont get at least one or two per game. Legal issues?
Seriously fighting is better than cheap shots. The American audience likes watching wrestling,boxing, UFC, etc. "so do I" so why Hockey fights are looked so down upon is beyond me I enjoy the toughness and guts of hockey players, and I respect the fact that if someone steps out of line, they get put into their place. IMO there isn't enough of that in everday life, let alone sports!!! And yeah I'm a blood thirsty American!!!

Old
05-26-2005, 11:15 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev
look at it this way, at least richards won his fight convicingly... from what i heard on the radio he put a pretty good beating on the guy and was even punching him while on his knees after the fight was won lol.... its good to have a smaller guy who can scrap and score, as well as show a great amount of spirit and skill

It was Brad Boyes. Not exactly known for his fighting. Anyway I think they both got suspended for fighting after the referee broke it up the fight the first time(thats what I am guessing anyway) I didnt see the game and the ahl site very rarely gets into details. I was reading the Boston Globe and they didnt even have the fights and Eager's penaly after the GWG was scored in game 3. I am sure Eager took his frustrations out on Hilbert because of all the hacking on the back of the legs Hilbert does. Having seen him enough this season I know he gets away with it all the time.

Old
05-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Eat It

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev
look at it this way, at least richards won his fight convicingly... from what i heard on the radio he put a pretty good beating on the guy and was even punching him while on his knees after the fight was won lol....
That is hardly something to be proud of.

Old
05-26-2005, 02:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

If you can't beat Brad Boyes in a fight, you shouldn't be fighting.

Closed Thread