Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evander Kane all fired up on twitter

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 08:46 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Never read this much dislike for Hefney after he was arrested for doing something illegal

Kane would get **** on for having black laces on his shoes instead of white ones

Old
06-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Jet
GO JETS GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
Never read this much dislike for Hefney after he was arrested for doing something illegal

Kane would get **** on for having black laces on his shoes instead of white ones
I have been 100 percent on Kanes side the entire time he has been a Jet. This is different. You may not understand that because you don't know what it feels like to be a victim of bigotry.

Again, I am not saying that Kane meant it that way, but if you were constantly treated like a lesser person because of a personal trait, you would be sensitive to someone mocking that trait.

If you actually read what most are saying here, it's not HATE for Kane, it's the logical realization that he needs to be wary of what he is putting out there on social media, or he will face the wrath of people he offends.

Seems pretty simple.

06-14-2013, 11:18 PM
bazaaa*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Way too many over sensitive cry babies on the planet. Really sad too see.
Agree. We live in such a joke of a society, it's depressing.

Kids doing bad in school, but we can't keep him back a grade, that wouldn't be right!

Can't keep score in kids sports, that isn't right, they might get upset! Because in the real world, everything is fair, you know!

No bodychecking in hockey, soon it will be removed until they are 20!

Makes me sick how sensitive society has become. Suck it up. If thise happened ten years ago, no one would have even blinked an eye. People are sheep today, one person will get going on twitter, "Hey that's not right", people get brainwashed, become sheep and join in.

Embarrassing.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:22 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I have been 100 percent on Kanes side the entire time he has been a Jet. This is different. You may not understand that because you don't know what it feels like to be a victim of bigotry.
So if you weren't gay, you wouldn't care, and it wouldn't be 'different'?
But because you're gay and all the sudden you feel involved because it was directed at gay people, this is 'diffrent'?

Before you say, even if you weren't gay you'd still feel the same way, I say that's highly doubtful because you just followed up with "You may not understand that because you don't know what it feels like..."

Old
06-14-2013, 11:27 PM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
But because you're gay and all the sudden you feel involved because it was directed at gay people, this is 'diffrent'?

Before you say, even if you weren't gay you'd still feel the same way, I say that's highly doubtful because you just followed up with "You may not understand that because you don't know what it feels like..."
So basically, when people get offended about something that they don't and can't relate to, they are dubbed the 'PC Police' for getting offended for someone else. Then when someone comes out and say 'This directly offends me because I'm part of the group that is affected', it's "But if you weren't part of the group, you wouldn't be offended."

Can't win, I guess.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:29 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
So basically, when people get offended about something that they don't and can't relate to, they are dubbed the 'PC Police' for getting offended for someone else. Then when someone comes out and say 'This directly offends me because I'm part of the group that is affected', it's "But if you weren't part of the group, you wouldn't be offended."

Can't win, I guess.
Fair point. However, I think it's stupid to cry about this, no matter if you were directly(not you personally) effected or not. For christ sake they are words, and you're a grown man. Ask yourself, 'why am I bothered by some words a stranger said that I will never meet or have a conversation with in my life, and the comments weren't even directed at me personally?'

This video is relevant for this thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02eY6h6Vqjc

Last edited by bazaaa*: 06-14-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old
06-15-2013, 12:35 AM
epo

I see fairy as a PG version of p****. I can see You Can Play's desire to totally remove the word fairy as a derogatory word from people vocabulary, if it is an anti-gay slur, but it sort of sits funny with there own goal. They are making an associating between soft play and being gay, which goes against "if you can play, you can play", when Evander never intended one.

I find it odd that there is more backlash when a male athlete is referred to be effeminate, than when a dominant female athlete is called manly, considering that winning in much of female athletics pretty much requires the athlete to be susceptible to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
First of all the nazi swastika was, as I have always understood, backwards to the previous historical one, so in a technically correct sense, you aren't "misreading a symbol"
Both are historical, but the one at 45 degrees is nazi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
What the hell does political affiliation have to do with this?
Liberal isn't just a political party, and what he referred to as liberal exists within the liberal movement.

Last edited by epo: 06-15-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old
06-15-2013, 12:44 AM
jimmycarter

he was probably drunk.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Gnova
CowboysR^2

This ties loosely into the OT thread discussion from today.

I was playing "The Last Of Us" this evening and the fourteen year old girl said she hated fairies during dialogue.

I immediately thought of this thread lol.

She did say it in a statement directly after discussing garden gnomes but still..... How dare they use such a taboo word.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:54 AM
Duke749
Formerly "BigTuna49"

vCash: 615
So what was the actual tweet?

Old
06-15-2013, 04:07 AM
Hawker14

Geez, it's not rocket science for a hockey player. It's time tested.

Do your job. Carry yourself with humility. Don't offend people.

Milque toast ? No. It's common decency.

Either admit to, or Quit, being stupid.

Old
06-15-2013, 05:49 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke89 View Post
So what was the actual tweet?
He said something along the lines of Bosh driving to the hoop like a fairy.

People started freaking out oddly enough (I get not liking or whatever but why freek out at him ).

Kane said a bunch that he's not a homophob.

Arby (from AIH) tattle-taled Kane to Burkie from YCP.

Burkie told Arby that he's on it.

Kane later tweeted saying something along the lines of sorry, wasn't how I wanted the comment to be read as, he's not a homophob and that he's sorry.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:10 AM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post

Again, I am not saying that Kane meant it that way, but if you were constantly treated like a lesser person because of a personal trait, you would be sensitive to someone mocking that trait.

If you actually read what most are saying here, it's not HATE for Kane, it's the logical realization that he needs to be wary of what he is putting out there on social media, or he will face the wrath of people he offends.

Seems pretty simple.
How do you know that I have never been a victim if bigotry?

I get called fat, or pork chop all the time, and you know what, I don't go crying to mommy when it happens.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:36 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 371
Quote:

That's cause hefney is black. Evander Kane is half black and half white. Unfortunately there are still people in society who have a problem with inter racial relationships. They like to hide their hate behind outrage over his comments when the reality is they are the bigots, not eveander Kane.

Old
06-15-2013, 08:56 AM
tacogeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
That's cause hefney is black. Evander Kane is half black and half white. Unfortunately there are still people in society who have a problem with inter racial relationships. They like to hide their hate behind outrage over his comments when the reality is they are the bigots, not eveander Kane.
lol good conspiracy theory right here. thanks for the morning chuckle. everyone is just reading to deep into this. kane made another twitter oops and has corrected the situation once again. no biggie. he just may have to hire a friend to analyze the tweets for him before he hits send lol

Old
06-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Potrzebie

Quote:
People are sheep today, one person will get going on twitter, "Hey that's not right", people get brainwashed, become sheep and join in.

Embarrassing.
This is a large part of the problem. Years ago in the time it took to make your thoughts known to the world either on the internet or to the media it might occur to someone like Evander "oh maybe this isn't such a good idea"... twitter on a phone and poor impulse control is a deadly mixture... like an unfiltered instant look into someone's stream of consciousness... in a lot of cases it's not pretty.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:45 AM
scelaton

Quote:
How do you know that I have never been a victim if bigotry?

I get called fat, or pork chop all the time, and you know what, I don't go crying to mommy when it happens.
What if your gay son, instead of crying to mommy or talking to his tough, insensitive father, killed himself? You have just shown that you have no idea of the toll that true bigotry takes on individuals and families.

Quote:
So, those pointing out the insensitivity in Kane's tweet are actually closet bigots? Really??
I believe that people who have experienced bigotry should be especially sensitive to the plight of others in the same position. And you know what--I think Kane, now that he has been educated, will feel the same way. There is really no need to defend his honest mistake or attack his critics on this one.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:02 AM
JetsFlyHigh

This is the first time I'll ever agree with Kane.

To me it's a matter of perspective. Since when did being called a fairy a gay slur? When I first heard about the tweet, I imagined CB in a tutu with wings and blonde hair, and it wasn't because I see him as soft, it's because when CB flopped I immediately thought that he should be wearing a tutu with THAT move. It wasn't anything but singling out that specific action, not his whole image as a player. He could've been called JIGGLYPUFF and people would still get offended, even if they don't know who JIGGLYPUFF is.

To me, what your brain suggests is your own problem, especially in a general term 'fairy'. It could've been because Kane thought CB was so beautiful I don't know. lol

Old
06-15-2013, 10:04 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post

So, those pointing out the insensitivity in Kane's tweet are actually closet bigots? Really??
I believe that people who have experienced bigotry should be especially sensitive to the plight of others in the same position. And you know what--I think Kane, now that he has been educated, will feel the same way. There is really no need to defend his honest mistake or attack his critics on this one.
Yes I was completely serious. The inability of certain people to ascertain when someone is joking is honestly incredibly astounding to me.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:22 AM
scelaton

Quote:
Quote:
I heard on the radio that he used a homophobic slur on twitter, obviously I thought he used the British term for cigarette. But fairy? I'm no Kane defender but whatever. Sick of the everyone jumping on anyone that isn't completely PC. Its becoming ridiculous.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I was completely serious. The inability of certain people to ascertain when someone is joking is honestly incredibly astounding to me.
Really, so all of the above was just a joke?
That's quite funny.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:11 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Really, so all of the above was just a joke?
That's quite funny.
Lol did you just go through the whole thread looking for posts by me? Clearly the first one was a joke. Like is that even questionable? As was the one implying people were picking on Kane cause he's of mixed race. Not quite sure what you're point is here. I made a joke and you didn't understand it was a joke. Are you the same guy who thought that guys post about wearing swastikas was serious? Cause that was clearly not serious yet someone thought it was. Just drop it buddy.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:01 PM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

Quote:
Lol did you just go through the whole thread looking for posts by me? Clearly the first one was a joke. Like is that even questionable? As was the one implying people were picking on Kane cause he's of mixed race. Not quite sure what you're point is here. I made a joke and you didn't understand it was a joke. Are you the same guy who thought that guys post about wearing swastikas was serious? Cause that was clearly not serious yet someone thought it was. Just drop it buddy.
To be fair, all one has to do is click 'find all posts from user' under your profile page.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Duke749
Formerly "BigTuna49"

vCash: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
He said something along the lines of Bosh driving to the hoop like a fairy.

People started freaking out oddly enough (I get not liking or whatever but why freek out at him ).

Kane said a bunch that he's not a homophob.

Arby (from AIH) tattle-taled Kane to Burkie from YCP.

Burkie told Arby that he's on it.

Kane later tweeted saying something along the lines of sorry, wasn't how I wanted the comment to be read as, he's not a homophob and that he's sorry.
That's it? Oh good lord people. We're making this much out of something this little?

And I saw somewhere someone said that fairy is another term for gay? News to me. But I'm only 23. When I hear fairy I think Tinkerbell, not gay.

Don't understand why we're having such an in depth discussion on this. Seems like a huge overreaction.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:47 PM
KCjetsfan

Quote:
i'm with scaleton. those did not come off as jokes.

Old
06-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Jet
GO JETS GO!

Quote:

Well, to be honest I have not felt what it was like to be discriminated against or bullied because I am gay. I only came out when I was a confident adult, and you wouldn't know I was gay unless I told you. Unfortunately, the side effect to this is being able to hear all of the vitriol and hate spewed at gay people in plain ear. Thankfully things have changed immensely over the past 15 or so years.

Knowing people who have gone through this hate directed squarely at them, and hearing heartbreaking stories of kids harming and killing themselves because of the way they are treated because of sexual orientation sure does change your opinion on the subject.

I am not here to carry some torch for gay people. I am trying to shed some light on why that type of language is hurtful and really does affect people in tangible ways. By tangible I mean LIFE THREATENING, not THE SEASON HASN'T STARTED PUT YOUR MONEY AWAY.

Whether or not people are open minded enough to try and understand is another story altogether.

As for your first comment? I do not have down's syndrome but sure as hell if you are throwing around the word '********' I will say something about it. It's called human compassion ffs.

People running their mouths saying we are all crybabies etc etc just smacks of a lack of understanding of the wider scope of action/ reaction in society. It's intolerant and, IMHO just plain ignorant. Hopefully that is more clear to you.

Closed Thread