HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Maple Leafs should trade Phil Kessel

Old
06-07-2013, 09:40 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Maple Leafs should trade Phil Kessel

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...l_feschuk.html

The Leafs' Phil Kessel is a perimeter-hugging winger in a net-front league, says Dave Feschuk, playing for a team that will need to give up something of value to land its long-sought No. 1 centre.

Quote:
Somewhere, Leafs forward Phil Kessel is on a golf course saying: “Harder? That’s a joke, right?” And somewhere else, GM Dave Nonis and his management team are pounding the phones to bolster a flawed team in need of improvement in nearly every area. It’s exactly what they should be doing. With a little more than three weeks until the June 30 draft, now’s when off-season trade talks traditionally begin their slow build. As Leiweke has made clear, Nonis should talk a lot, since the status quo won’t cut it.

But making big changes to the Toronto roster, with the NHL salary cap shrinking from around $70 million (all figures U.S.) to about $64 million, will require bold vision and savvy manoeuvring that many fans might consider sacrilege.

Example: There’d be no better time to trade Kessel, considering his excellent run of play as the league’s sixth-leading regular-season scorer has put his value at an all-time high. Don’t for a moment believe that Nonis, fresh off delivering a no-Leaf-is-untouchable post-season message, isn’t thinking hard about the possibility.

Why would Kessel be a smart chip to cash in? He’s a perimeter-hugging winger in a net-front league playing for a team that will need to give up something of value to land its long-sought No. 1 centre. He’ll also be an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2014, as will team captain Dion Phaneuf. The latter, a lightning rod of post-season criticism thanks in part to his defensive paralysis in the crucial moments of that Game 7, would be by far the more palatable trade piece in the eyes of many supporters.

But Phaneuf’s stock, weighed down by a hefty $6.5 million salary, is in the tank. Kessel’s, by contrast, is soaring. Given the local wont to buy high and bail low, it’d be a welcome change for a Toronto GM to recoup a decent haul on an investment as costly as Kessel.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:43 AM
The Blue Devil

Is he really that stupid?

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:44 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Wait! I've heard this all before! i think it ends with us getting Dumba.(because he's better than Brodin)... And picks!

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Joey Hoser

Just stirring the pot with nothing really to write about, which is understandable, but at least try to make sense Dave and not be so blatantly, purposefully ****in' ridiculous.

"He’s a perimeter-hugging winger in a net-front league"

Like seriously... Guy finishes in the top 10 in scoring in back to back years and you try to make it sound like he can't complete in this league? WTF?

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:54 AM
StuckOutHere

I like Kessel, but no player is untouchable. I am comfortable with a wing core around Lupul, JVR, Kulemin, and Clarkson (hypothetically) if it means we have a real number one center.

StuckOutHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Cor
GOAT Poster

vCash: 50
Top 10 player offensively (last two seasons he has proven that) and even defensively he has grown by miles under 1 season of Carlyle.

After that series against the Bruins, I am convinced next season will be Phil Kessel's year. The year where there will no longer be doubt that Kessel is an elite player

Last edited by Epictetus: 06-07-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Can't make sweeping generalizations like that.
Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:55 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankuptheSnakes View Post
Wait! I've heard this all before! i think it ends with us getting Dumba.(because he's better than Brodin)... And picks!

Lol. It does sound familiar.

For Malkin, I'd do it. I'd rather not, but I would. I'd rather see Malkin play with Kessel and have an elite winger to play with that can pass and shoot as well as him. But Malkin would still succeed here with JVR and Kulemin as his wingers.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:00 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Here we go again, first Cox now him. Why even read The Star?

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:05 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

is this sarcasm or stupidity? i have a hard time detecting it

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:06 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

It's a shame these media "analysts" can't think any deeper or more creatively than suggesting trading the team's best player because he will bring the highest return. No **** Sherlock.

How about coming up with ways to use some MLSE's financial muscle to take advantage of a falling cap, or using the compliance buyouts to our advantage? No, the writer just feeds the readers the easy to swallow pablum rather than serve up anything would take some effort to prepare.

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Lol. It does sound familiar.

For Malkin, I'd do it. I'd rather not, but I would. I'd rather see Malkin play with Kessel and have an elite winger to play with that can pass and shoot as well as him. But Malkin would still succeed here with JVR and Kulemin as his wingers.
Exactly. Unless Malkin IS the #1 C coming back in a Kessel trade, no way do I trade Kessel.

Kessel is still young enough that I wouldn't even trade him straight up for Getzlaf at this point (not that Anaheim would make that offer).

As far as Malkin playing with Kessel in Toronto, it's a nice dream. But unless Kessel is going the other way, I don't think Pittsburgh makes the deal.

Kenadyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:08 AM
mrheat*

faking a rob ford story and now this crap.

Are monkeys running the show at the toronto star mill ?

mrheat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:10 AM
KeziaTML

vCash: 279
My eyes hurt, they rolled so hard.

KeziaTML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

I think Kessel did a good job in this years playoffs removing the doubt that he couldn't perform against a big physical team like the Bruins.

His history prior to the playoffs, and or a poor playoff performance would open the door for this type of discussion. However I think he solidified his Leaf future by exercising prior doubts.

Now it really comes down to money and how much it would cost and make sense to re-sign him. The Bruins traded a 21 year old player previously because he demanded too much money for the role he was expected to play, and that situation is now upon Nonis to determine what is best for the team.

06-07-2013, 10:13 AM
deepz

Pretty evident the Star is a tabloid rag now.

deepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:15 AM
araisarena

The Star is a joke. Trade a player instrumental to get into the playoffs and is a star player in this league and top 10? Piss off. Kessel will finish his career a leaf.

araisarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Neas Olc
Registered Abuser

I stopped reading at "Feschuk". Rob Ford's left nut would be a better sports writer than this guy.

Neas Olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:19 AM
416Leafer

I'm open to anything. If a trade comes along that makes this team better, then sure, why not.

I just don't think it's likely at all that someones going to offer up that type of deal to Toronto for Kessel. So resigning him is the most likely option.

The only reason we should be "shopping" him is if he doesn't want to resign. I'm not Dave Nonis, so I have no clue if Kessel does or doesn't want to.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Smif

We should trade him for a JVR clone and sign Clarkson so we could have our top line in front of the net at all times. We don't need good players on the rush or good shooters, must have everyone in front of the net.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Remuskokafication

they have another article on there saying the raptors should change the team's name

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ame_kelly.html

so silly

Remuskokafication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Stephen

I just wanted to point this point for ***** and giggles:

Phil Kessel 7 GP 4 G 2 A 6 PTS vs the 2013 Playoff Bruins

Sidney Crosby 3 GP 0 G 0 A 0 PTS
Evgeni Malkin 3 GP 0 G 0 A 0 PTS
Kris Letang 3 GP 0 G 0 A 0 PTS
James Neal 3 GP 0 G 0 A 0 PTS
Jarome Iginla 3 GP 0 G 0 A 0 PTS
Chris Kunitz 3 GP 1 G 0 A 1 PTS
Pascal Dupuis 3 GP 0 G 1 A 1 PTS
Paul Martin 3 GP 0 G 2 A 2 PTS
----------------------------------

Combined 24 GP 1 G 3 A 4 PTS vs the 2013 Playoff Bruins

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demuskokafication View Post
they have another article on there saying the raptors should change the team's name

so silly
I would definitely go for that. They named them the Raptors because of the fad going on in the entertainment industry (Jurassic Park). The name was amazing to me when I was in grade 5, now it means nothing.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demuskokafication View Post

so silly
Read the article. Smh.

I suppose next week the Star will have an article stating that Toronto should change it's name to "New Dork City".

Kenadyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:28 AM
cynicism

A journey through past Star headlines

2003: Leafs should trade Sundin, Joseph, Roberts

1993: Leafs should trade Gilmour, Potvin, Andreychuk

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Player is performing well? Let's trade him while his value is high!

Idiotic

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote