HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs should trade Phil Kessel

Old
06-07-2013, 11:17 AM
The Blue Devil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The Avs don't need a center as they already have 2 young ones of their own. They've also been drafting early recently to get their Duchene and Landeskog building blocks future.

While I agree Jones is a perfect fit, I also could see with Sakic and Roy and new Avs brain trust on board that moving the pick does exist. Patrick Roy even announced it publicly during his press conference.

Kessel was acquired for the #2 pick overall + more originally by the Leafs. Is his present value not = to his original cost?
Kessel was acquired for a 1st round pick that eventually became 2nd overall, it was never traded for Kessel straight up.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:18 AM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
That #2 pick overall is currently lining up in practice on the wing with Rich Peverley and Kaspar Daugavins and has 4 points in 15 playoff games. Three years after being drafted.

Just saying. The plan isn't exactly fool proof either.
Yeah a couple more years and people won't laugh when I say we won the Kessel trade. It will be a given.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:20 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
I agree. Phil has shown he is not part of the problem, he earned what we paid him easily and I think he's a core guy. I'd like him at 6 Mil for however many years. With the Cap going down I think that seems about right, maybe 6.5.
Maybe 6.5mil for someone who has finished top 10 in points 2 years in a row?

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:20 AM
SayWhatAgain

Quote:
What about high picks and prospects ?

Both Colorado and Florida have stated they're willing to move top picks in this years entry draft.

Kessel for #2 over pick in the upcoming draft and taking Nathan MacKinnon with the selection as the basis for a potential deal for example.
While I see the value in that deal I don't see how it fits with the Leafs plan, we just made the playoffs for the first time last year and we are going to trade our best player for a prospect? Really don't know if I would do that deal.

SayWhatAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:21 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
The Avs don't need a center as they already have 2 young ones of their own. They've also been drafting early recently to get their Duchene and Landeskog building blocks future.

While I agree Jones is a perfect fit, I also could see with Sakic and Roy and new Avs brain trust on board that moving the pick does exist. Patrick Roy even announced it publicly during his press conference.

Kessel was acquired for the #2 pick overall + more originally by the Leafs. Is his present value not = to his original cost?
Based on that faulty logic, the Avs would have to add to the Pick to have any chance of obtaining Kessel

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Gutchecktime

This is the Leafs. Toronto. Our best players are never good enough, at least until they've left or retired. We should probably just start over and draft the next biggest thing so that they can not be good enough and we can do it all over again.

I'm really just sick of it. Thankfully, the fans seem to recognize this pattern. Perhaps they listened to far too many nights of people bashing Mats Sundin on Andy Frost's call-in show while we consistently made the playoffs.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:27 AM
eyeball11

Saw the word "feschuk" in the link at the top and didn't even bother reading......

YAWN.

Hey Feschuk, don't you have mommies to call? Would you like I should get Phil's mommy on the line for some inside scoop?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:29 AM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Honestly, is this some sort of sick joke?

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Suntouchable13

It is not such an outrageous idea. It all depends if you think that he is worth whatever he will be asking for. Some people think 'yes' some people think 'no'. It also matters what he wants to do. Let me tell you, if they told me that I had to carry Bozak on my line for a few more years to come, I'd walk.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:32 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone View Post

it's the toronto media. what do you expect?

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:33 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:

just because burke paid 2 firsts and a 2nd doesnt mean thats what kessels value is. burke could have offer sheeted kessel for less.

the aves could easily and justifiably take mackinnon. stastny is likely on the way out, Who knows what ror situation is long term and duchene could be a hit away from be done.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:33 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone View Post
like seriously i cant even believe this topic is even debatable.. i think ive gone crazy along with everyone

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:40 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

"bold vision and savvy manoeuvring"
I like that, it sound's like a stock broker's cliche

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Loosie

So we make the playoffs for the first time in 9 years, were almost through to the second round and instead of 'tinkering' and adding to the lineup to improve Feschuk wants to trade the best player on the team for picks and prospects?

How is that going to the help the Leafs next year?

The Leafs are no longer in a rebuild. Trading top players for highest return (read propects and picks) is no a helpful option anymore. It's a step back. Yeah great we'll get a good player in a deep draft, but are they really going to step in and make an huge impact? Are they going to offset the cost of losing Phil Kessel? No. It'll set us back 2 or 3 years at least.

Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Based on that faulty logic, the Avs would have to add to the Pick to have any chance of obtaining Kessel
Philly traded Mike Richards for Brayden Schenn (#5 overall) & Wayne Simmonds (2nd rounder).

&

Jeff Carter was traded for the #7 overall (Sean Couturier) & Jakub Voracek (former #7 overall) = 2 X top 10 picks.

Phil Kessel was acquired for 2 X 1sts and 2nd originally.

Kessel as a top 10 NHL scorer currently value should be at its highest in trade value.

06-07-2013, 11:44 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepz View Post
Pretty evident the Star is a tabloid rag now.
Employing rags like DiManno, most certainly a tabloid newspaper

Petition to fire blatantly crude columnist Rosie DiManno

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:46 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Maybe 6.5mil for someone who has finished top 10 in points 2 years in a row?
Surely you can't be serious about 6.5 for Kessel. Do you really think he is worth ~$2M a year less than Corey Perry? I would be amazed if Kessel got anything less than $7.5M and if such a deal was for less than the 8 year maximum.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Philly traded Mike Richards for Brayden Schenn (#5 overall) & Wayne Simmonds (2nd rounder).

&

Jeff Carter was traded for the #7 overall (Sean Couturier) & Jakub Voracek (former #7 overall).

Kessel as a top 10 NHL scorer currently value should be at its highest in trade value.
If someone made that argument to you, would you not point out that Carter and Richards are major contributors on the team in the WCF right now and Couturier, Voracek, Schenn, and Simmonds are at home watching the playoffs on television?

Old
06-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:

&

Jeff Carter was traded for the #7 overall (Sean Couturier) & Jakub Voracek (former #7 overall) = 2 X top 10 picks.

And wouldnt you look at the flyers this year... or maybe the kings, i wonder who got the better end of that deal

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:50 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Yeah a couple more years and people won't laugh when I say we won the Kessel trade. It will be a given.
It's amazing that in 35 GP Seguin has yet to put up as many points as Kessel did in 15 by the same age.

14 PTS in 35 GP. 8 PTS in his last 33 GP. Boston has scored 100 goals and Seguin has been in on 8 of them.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:51 AM
VoicexOfxReason
RIP Lounge

I would trade Kessel for Mackinnon and a small-medium plus. And im one of his biggest fan.

VoicexOfxReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
If someone made that argument to you, would you not point out that Carter and Richards are major contributors on the team in the WCF right now and Couturier, Voracek, Schenn, and Simmonds are at home watching the playoffs on television?
What is your point ?

Kessel is at home watching the playoffs also on television, so does that lower his trade value as a result of his teams situation?

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:53 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Seeing articles like that re-enforce why I don't read anything from the Toronto sports media. For every kernel of useful writings they produce (the Raptors name change is one IMO) they vomit out 99 tons of ****. The sooner they're out of business the better.

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
What is your point ?

Kessel is at home watching the playoffs also on television, so does that lower his trade value as a result of his teams situation?
I just found it humorous that in your attempt to argue for trading Kessel, you picked a team that traded two of their better players for futures and got significantly worse. I think you knew my point and are being intentionally obtuse here.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:59 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Lol, not this again

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote