HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs should trade Phil Kessel

Old
06-07-2013, 02:11 PM
ACC1224
Working too much

vCash: 500
when can the Leafs begin negotiating with Kessel?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
This only makes sense if Kessel intends to explore free agency. Then the title, "Maple Leafs should trade Phil Kessel" becomes less prone to a critique. I don't think anyone would deny that.

I was previously in the "If Kessel wants too much, trade him" camp. But after this post-season, and seeing his continued improvement throughout his time here, he is worthy of top dollar. I would now much rather get him signed long-term than trade him.

However, for discussion sake, if we assume that Kessel wants to explore free agency, and the logical option then becomes to trade him (i.e., you don't want to lose a prime asset for nothing), then I wonder what the market price will be for Kessel.

I think perhaps instead of tearing apart this article, we should be pondering that question. Maybe if Feschuk worked his article from this angle, it would be more convincing.
So if Feschuk made a better argument he would have a better article? Yea but he didn't. Lazy journalism deserves ridicule.

Guy Boucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Loosie

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
MacKinnon could be that future #1 center that Leafs have been seeking his Mats left.

If MacKinnon became like John Taraves, could you not see the value to move offense from the wing to address the center ice position? Most top line NHL centers are obtained by teams drafting and developing them and seldom trading them.

Kessel has 1 year left on a contract that could see him become a UFA one year from now, and walk away leaving the Leafs with nothing.. So are you prepared for that potential outcome, or giving Kessel whatever he wants to stay the best possible outcome all things considered as well as trade?.

These are the very things that Nonis is presently dealing with when keep or trade and for how much are concerned.
But then we have a #1 centre with no top winger to play with. Back to the problem we had when we HAD Mats.

Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Leafs can begin negotiating now, but the official new contract can't be put in place until July 1st.

At least that is how the old CBA worked that a player coming out of multi-year contract can't sign a new deal until the final year of his present one has begun. All contract years run from July 1st until June 30th of the following year.

Nonis can certainly explore contract talks today and get a gauge on asking price in $$ from Kessel. In fact its likely only toooooo much money that would initiate the potential of trading him being explored, as re-signing the likely first priority at present.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:30 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever

The one thing which the Leafs have on their side is that they are the only team who can offer Kessel the most amount of years which is eight, so he would also make the money possible if he signs an extension in Toronto.

I'm sure getting a maxium eight year contract was part of the reason both Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf re-signed in Anaheim, when everyone thought they would test the UFA market. Even Travis Zajac got an eight year contract from New Jersey prior to this past season and was the first player to sign that type of deal under the current CBA.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Durkin67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Top 10 player offensively (last two seasons he has proven that) and even defensively he has grown by miles under 1 season of Carlyle.

After that series against the Bruins, I am convinced next season will be Phil Kessel's year. The year where there will no longer be doubt that Kessel is an elite player
Kessel, being in a contract year, will probably have a career year next season. It's what happens the following two or three that really matters because that's when the Leafs will most likely be ready to really contend.

Strip mining the team of the first roster to make the playoffs in nine years sounds sorta dumb. Talking about usurping Reimer as the starter, trading Kessel and moving away from Phaneuf sounds like strip-mining to me. CHI had to drastically retool after their championship. Still, they kept their nucleus together, and created a buffer for Crawford to work out the kinks by acquiring Emery. I think they may be able to use their speed and skill to beat Boston in the final.

While I'm not opposed to recycling Phil Kessel if the return clearly outweighs the advantage of retaining him for at least 35 million over the next 5 years, I dont particularly like the Leafs track record when trading away talent in the last decade or so. That said, let's not forget that the price of landing Mats Sundin - the Leafs' all-time leader in numerous stat cats - was former first overall pick Wendel Clark.

Food for thought...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:43 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I think it's July 5th this year.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:47 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Will be so happy when we re-sign him and all this crap ends. Unless we are getting a number one centre or top defender. There is no reason to trade the main piece to our offense and powerplay. He was excellent in the playoffs and I could get used to having him on this team for years to come.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
But then we have a #1 centre with no top winger to play with. Back to the problem we had when we HAD Mats.
The most obvious comparison when evaluating the current final 4 teams in the playoffs is the epitome of "Good teams are built with strength down the middle" team building practices. Richards, Kopitar, Toews, Sharp, Bergeron, Krecji, Malkin & Crosby demonstrate the importance of top line centers on past winning cup teams and currently competing teams.

None of these last 4 cup winners are built from the wings on in, but from the center out.

Eric Staal in Carolina made Jiri Tlusty (23 goals) into a more productive goal scorer this season than Kessel (20). Good centers make wingers just ask Dupuis and Kunitz if Pens are worried about who plays with Crosby?.

If the Leafs had a #1 center then I bet Lupul and JVR on his wings would both be 20+ goal scorers and replace a traded Kessel to obtain him.

Old
06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
I think it's July 5th this year.
I'd be starting negotiations immediately if I'm Dave Nonis

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Gretzky View Post
Player is performing well? Let's trade him while his value is high!

Idiotic
It's a team sport, FYI.

Old
06-07-2013, 03:11 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever

Quote:
Eric Staal in Carolina made Jiri Tlusty (23 goals) into a more productive goal scorer this season than Kessel (20). Good centers make wingers just ask Dupuis and Kunitz if Pens are worried about who plays with Crosby?.
I wouldn't use Jiri Tlusty as an example just because he scored 3 more goals then Kessel. If it wasn't for bad luck like Kessel hitting a lot of posts this season he would have more then 20 goals. His 30, 32, and 37 goal seasons with Toronto proves he can score a lot more during an 82 game schedule.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:16 PM
ACC1224
Working too much

Quote:
The most obvious comparison when evaluating the current final 4 teams in the playoffs is the epitome of "Good teams are built with strength down the middle" team building practices. Richards, Kopitar, Toews, Sharp, Bergeron, Krecji, Malkin & Crosby demonstrate the importance of top line centers on past winning cup teams and currently competing teams.

None of these last 4 cup winners are built from the wings on in, but from the center out.

If the Leafs had a #1 center then I bet Lupul and JVR on his wings would both be 20+ goal scorers and replace a traded Kessel to obtain him.
It's about winning the Cup not how many 20 goal scorers you have. Sundin created a few 20 Goal scorers and led the Leafs to as many Cups as Kessel has.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:19 PM
WTFMAN99

Joke of an article from a joke of a writer. Not a lot of good media types in this town, we should resign him to a deal around 6.5 per long term. Great player just need to give him better support around him.

WTFMAN99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
Joke of an article from a joke of a writer. Not a lot of good media types in this town, we should resign him to a deal around 6.5 per long term. Great player just need to give him better support around him.

I don't think 6.5 gets it done.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

And then well be left with Lupul as our best forward..... What a stupid article, is he just writing to let people know he still exists

Leafs87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
I agree with the price. Just don't see a viable way to get a better player than Phil Kessel on to the team without breaking the bank in terms of future assets or free agency. Kessel cost us two juicy picks. What's the price of a player better than Kessel? Can't be draft picks anymore because the Leafs don't have valuable ones since they are in that middling position of the league.

Old
06-07-2013, 03:52 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Idiot.

All the team needed was a center who could win faceoffs and a couple of wingers that know how to block point shots and the leafs are the ones playing the Penguins right now.

It is **** like this that IS going to make Phil bolt when his deal is up. He is a top ****ing player. We are lucky to have someone so talented. So quit trying to run him out of town. ****ing media idiots.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Billy6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
A journey through past Star headlines

2003: Leafs should trade Sundin, Joseph, Roberts

1993: Leafs should trade Gilmour, Potvin, Andreychuk
The Leafs should have traded Sundin, Joseph and Roberts in 2003. It was an aging team whose best chance at winning had passed them by and they should have re-tooled. They all left in free agency with the Leafs getting nothing in return and the Leafs missed the playoffs for 9 years after that. It's amazing how quickly people forget that.

I get that fans fall in love with players, but sometimes it just makes more sense in the long run to make some tough decisions and trade some guys.

With Kessel it comes down to this: Does he want to play in Toronto? And secondly will he sign here for a reasonable salary? The Leafs can find out the answer to those questions this summer and if the answer to either is no then he should be traded.

It's one thing to risk losing a guy like Bozak for nothing, but to lose Kessel for nothing would be a disaster.

Billy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:57 PM
KLM-Line

vCash: 530
Leafs won't trade Kessel for futures anymore now as they finally made the playoffs. They would have to find a dancing partner who would willingly part with a #1 center or d-man. Additionally said team would have to be a desired destination for Phil (contract extension). In other words - not happening.

We will have to find other means to tinker with our deficiencies down the middle and Feschuk could use a heavy dose of creativity and reality check.

KLM-Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Atomos2
Auston 20:16

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...l_feschuk.html

The Leafs' Phil Kessel is a perimeter-hugging winger in a net-front league, says Dave Feschuk, playing for a team that will need to give up something of value to land its long-sought No. 1 centre.
Please tell me he doesnt get paid for this....

I'm surprised he could even spell Kessel's name properly, since he knows little to nothing else about hockey. I'm down for a Toronto Star bonfire if anyone's interested.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Is money no option when considering Kessel's future in Toronto?

If Kessel says "I've been a top 10 scorer the past 2 seasons and expect to get paid like one" .

Is give Kessel whatever he wants Nonis only option here?

Old
06-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Is money no option when considering Kessel's future in Toronto?

If Kessel says "I've been a top 10 scorer the past 2 seasons and expect to get paid like one" .

Is give Kessel whatever he wants Nonis only option here?
If that is what happens, I am sure Nonis will give himself other options to use as leverage against Kessel...such as trading him.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:16 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...l_feschuk.html

The Leafs' Phil Kessel is a perimeter-hugging winger in a net-front league, says Dave Feschuk, playing for a team that will need to give up something of value to land its long-sought No. 1 centre.
I would trade him for Getzlaf maybe. Not a lot of other guys I like. Once the Pens get bounced cue the Malkin trade rumours but the + they would have to include would wipe out their depth. Kessel played well this season and badly outscored his linemates. I also think he showed up well in the playoffs.

If the guy actually does like it in TO and can handle the heat and still perform, he isn't someone they should be motivated to replace. If he scored 90 points next year, and won't cost 8.5 to resign, how many better options are out there?

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
If that is what happens, I am sure Nonis will give himself other options to use as leverage against Kessel...such as trading him.
I agree

"In Nonis we trust", as there should be a price point at which it becomes too much money and walking as a UFA is certainly not an option either worth considering.