HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First annual HF Jets mock draft (WPG on the clock)

Old
06-22-2013, 05:32 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Yeah, teams have always shown a tendency to reach for the offensive guys. I think as Jets fans we're just predisposed to looking at the defensemen with better defensive abilities, so that's why they were taken ahead.

Given Theo's height and his production I have to agree, pick 30 at the latest.

I was a little surprised that Subban was not only picked ahead of him, but that no one grabbed him directly after either.
Let's see what the actual draft brings. On forums you know that the NAMES will hold waay more value than they should. Yes occasionaly we will see things like Jared Staal taken in the 2nd round (like wtf, I had him in the 6th/7th round) from teams, but more often than not we see real NHL scouts not burying the name hype compared to internet hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingchris View Post
The Washington Capitals select Jimmy Lodge, C, Saginaw (OHL)
Lodge is an interesting pick. Honestly I can see him anywhere from 35 to 200. He struggled alot from in his rookie OHL season, but had a breakout year this year. What is his upside. And more importantly, what might be his downside? He is very hit and miss, he has decent upside but he has a huge bust potential, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 05:54 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Let's see what the actual draft brings. On forums you know that the NAMES will hold waay more value than they should. Yes occasionaly we will see things like Jared Staal taken in the 2nd round (like wtf, I had him in the 6th/7th round) from teams, but more often than not we see real NHL scouts not burying the name hype compared to internet hype.

Lodge is an interesting pick. Honestly I can see him anywhere from 35 to 200. He struggled alot from in his rookie OHL season, but had a breakout year this year. What is his upside. And more importantly, what might be his downside? He is very hit and miss, he has decent upside but he has a huge bust potential, IMO.
Every pick outside the 1st round has huge bust potential. I like his offensive upside for a guy who may be there at 60.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:59 AM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs are shocked to find talented KalPa RW Artturi Lehkonen on the board and will gladly rectify that situation.
Only reason I didn't take him at #50 is he has a history of concussions.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:26 AM
ps241
atta boy JMo

Quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs are shocked to find talented KalPa RW Artturi Lehkonen on the board and will gladly rectify that situation.

skilled but smallish......how do you see him slotting into the Jets (if we selected him) and who would his NHL comp be IYO?

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Basalt13

The Dallas Stars select my namesake - Anthony Duclair - LW - Quebec (QMJHL)

Basalt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Mossy Oak
Serenity

vCash: 50
With the 55th pick the Montreal Canadiens select from the OHL's Kingston Frontenacs Ryan Kujawinski.

Last edited by Mossy Oak: 06-22-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Mossy Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:49 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

With the 56th pick the Edmonton Oilers select Anton Slepyshev, Left Wing, Salavat Yulaev (KHL). Was considered 1st round talent last year. Has a great shot, good skater, developed a physical game playing against men. Potential friend and linemate for Yakupov? The Oilers take a gamble on the KHL risk.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Los Angeles Kings are excited to announce they will select Slovan Bratislava LW Marko Dano!

Old
06-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
skilled but smallish......how do you see him slotting into the Jets (if we selected him) and who would his NHL comp be IYO?
He is still quite a ways from NHL, so it would be basically impossible to see where he would fit in with the Jets. He has a really high skill level though.

As for NHL comp, he top end potential comp would be even a Mike Cammalleri. He is a very fast and elusive skater, with good vision. I like him as a first rounder even. Lots of potential, already a prolific scorer in the SM-Liiga at just 17.

Old
06-22-2013, 06:12 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

With the 58th pick, the San Jose Sharks select Justin Bailey, Right Wing, Kitchener (OHL). Has a lot of upside and the Sharks really need some RW's in their system. Especially depth guys with offensive potential like Bailey. He's a playmaker with good puck skills, great shot, good size frame at 6'3". Injuries have limited his development, so he's a boom or bust pick. But I could easily see him slotting into the 2nd line RW spot if given enough development time.

Old
06-22-2013, 06:44 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Los Angeles Kings are excited to announce they will select Slovan Bratislava LW Marko Dano!
I like this pick. Am sort of hoping he falls in Winnipeg's hands. But...you know...Chevy doesn't draft non-North Americans.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:19 PM
ps241
atta boy JMo

Quote:

Ok I new this was happening...notice you saved him for the kings!

Old
06-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Huffer

vCash: 590
Don't have a draft list in front of me, but would Carrier be a good option for the Jets here?

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Ok I new this was happening...notice you saved him for the kings!
Well I wasn't making the picks before me, so I didn't "save" him . And all the picks I made in this mock were exactly in line with my draft list I put out earlier, I have Lehkonen one spot ahead of Dano (Lehkonen has a better top end speed which is why he is barely ahead of Dano in my lists).

Old
06-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Wpgpage

Sorry about that guys, had some family stuff come up yesterday.

Wpgpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:27 PM
ps241
atta boy JMo

Quote:
Well I wasn't making the picks before me, so I didn't "save" him . And all the picks I made in this mock were exactly in line with my draft list I put out earlier, I have Lehkonen one spot ahead of Dano (Lehkonen has a better top end speed which is why he is barely ahead of Dano in my lists).
Fair enough.....I know your affection for Dano from the WJC draft. I think he is a solid prospect as well I was just funning.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Whileee

Ummmm.... did the Jets forfeit their pick, or are we expecting some sort of blockbuster trade? Should we start making some suggestions to nudge things along here?

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:52 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

I sent Jet Bomber a PM when I picked but last activity was 4 days ago.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Ummmm.... did the Jets forfeit their pick, or are we expecting some sort of blockbuster trade? Should we start making some suggestions to nudge things along here?
My goal was to have this wrapped up before the real life draft, so we're making good time.

I'll give JB another day. I'm the only other GM left to pick.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 4785
With JB's disappearance and the Greenlight from Hank I'll sub in for the Jet's pick.

With the compensatory 59th pick of the 2013 HFJets NHL Mock Draft, the Winnipeg Jets select: William Carrier, C, Cape Breton (QMJHL)

I'll be honest, Carrier isn't actually the next guy on my list. He's also someone I've had a lot of mental duels with myself over. Yet, I feel with 4 picks in the first two rounds I can go with a boom/bust type pick here. Also, my list should be just fine, I have a pocket of defensemen who I value similarly and with only one pick before our next one (where I'll use it on one of the d-men) I took the liberty in taking my next rated forward in Carrier.

Carrier has obvious physical attributes and offensive skills, what he really needs to develop are team skills and I'm really hoping Cape Breton will trade him so he won't be a one man army. Especially as he nosedived after the Lavoie trade. Which is also what worried me in his U18's as he didn't really play the team game once again, but I think I may be overanalyzing the performance a bit as he didn't have much time to gel with the team anyway.

Overall he has the attributes to be an absolute steal at #59 and he plays the game Chevy and Noel like, so I'm taking a swing at him here.

Last edited by Sweech: 06-25-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

With their first pick of the draft, the Boston Bruins select Hudson Fasching, RW, U.S. National U18 Team.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:39 AM
truck
HFB Partner

I love Carrier's upside at 59 and I don't see him as pure boom bust. I'd be very happy with the mix of players that the Jets have in this mock (so far).

Fun aside on Artturi Lehkonen, the dude from coppernblue.com who is doing stat comparables ended up slotting Lehkonen in at 14th. Obviously size and injuries will be his obstacles.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/6/22...ft-comparables

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Agree, Carrier is a hell of a value pick at #59.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Mossy Oak
Serenity

vCash: 50
With the 61st pick in the draft the Winnipeg Jets are proud to select from the Tri-City Americans, defenceman Zach Yuen.

Kidding.

Alan Quine

The Winnipeg Jets are going to take a bit of a flyer pick with our final selection here in the 2nd round, and are proud to select Alan Quine from the OHL's Belleville Bulls. Quine, the 2nd Overall pick in the 2009 OHL Entry Draft (ahead in the top 10 of that draft of worthy NHL prospects in Ryan Murphy, Ryan Strome, Boone Jenner, Matt Puempel) has grown his offensive game by leaps and bounds each year in the OHL. Polished offensively, he could dedicate himself more to the defensive side of the game but if he does, he could be a Matt Cullen type centerman, 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Detroit did draft Quine in the 3rd round, 85th overall in 2011 before his game really took off in the OHL. He had an excellent end to the 2013 season in Belleville after being dealt there at the trade deadline in January, followed up with a strong playoff performance.

Quine, a '93 born player who could return for his Overage season in the OHL will step in to the AHL in 2013-2014, a great fit for the Jets in my opinion as in two or so years Quine could be NHL ready.

A nice recent article from a few days ago on Alan Quine,

Quote:
Alan Quine spent part of Friday in the gym working on his boxing skills, just in case there’s a need to add that physical touch during the next stage of his hockey career.

It’s also a sign that he’s not just sitting idly around, even while waiting in limbo.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...757/story.html

Mossy Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Posted to the Mock Draft board:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1453493