HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Mike Weber will be the next Captain

Old
06-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I watched the video of Ruff handing out the letters in Europe. The atmosphere seemed off to me. I thought it was Ruff giving the C and the As to players. Seemed like his way of forcing the players to buy in. I never liked it.
The weird inter-change with Vanek was only part of that as there seemed to be plenty of uncomfortable folks in that scene, including but not limited to the letter winners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
I'd say give it to Ehrhoff until one of the younger guys (Hodgson, Foligno, Girgensons, etc....) step up and proove they're ready for it. I think I'd be embarrassed to have Mike Weber as our captian.

Ehrhoff is signed long term, vet presence, and has shown a willingness to stand up for his teammates.
Embarrassed? Eh.

06-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Embarrassed? Eh.
There was a time when the Buffalo fan base would've loved a blue collar leader like Mike being named Captain.... sometimes I wonder if Pegula Bucks has something to do with that change

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
There was a time when the Buffalo fan base would've loved a blue collar leader like Mike being named Captain.... sometimes I wonder if Pegula Bucks has something to do with that change
I wouldn't approve of Mike Weber being captain even before Pegula. Mike Weber is not a good enough hockey player. Heart and soul players are great, and natural leaders, but there needs to be more skill there to be given the C, in my opinion.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:39 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
"Blue collar" and "leader" like have nothing to do with people's reaction to Mike Weber. It has everything to do with the fact that he has not yet played a full season as an NHL regular. If he takes half a step backwards in his development, he's in Rochester.

I don't know why you think that doesn't matter. Mike Weber might have future captain written all over him, but it's a ways in the future.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:51 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Let the players vote on who they see as the captain. If that's Weber (he's a better choice than most), so be it. Let them choose from within.
Thread should have stopped here.

I'll never understand the obsession fans have with this stuff. The best people to make the choice about their leader is the players themselves.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Shmuffalo
It's SAMSON, bozo.

This is just a random thought, as for the team picking the next captain, would it be outlandish to have an anonymous vote and for there to be an official captain the elected player needs 85% + of the vote? Otherwise, just name Alternates based off the vote.

Then again, it shouldn't even come down to a vote. The most vocal player and player with the most leadership should already be identifiable. It's not like the team is drowning in leaders.

Bah.

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Costanza View Post
This is just a random thought, as for the team picking the next captain, would it be outlandish to have an anonymous vote and for there to be an official captain the elected player needs 85% + of the vote? Otherwise, just name Alternates based off the vote.

Then again, it shouldn't even come down to a vote. The most vocal player and player with the most leadership should already be identifiable. It's not like the team is drowning in leaders.

Bah.

An interesting point. If the vote went something like 13-10, 14-9, what would Rolston do?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:19 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
Thread should have stopped here.

I'll never understand the obsession fans have with this stuff. The best people to make the choice about their leader is the players themselves.
I don't think it's necessarily so cut and dry.

Remember that the PLAYERS voted for Craig freakin' Rivet as captain.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I don't think it's necessarily so cut and dry.

Remember that the PLAYERS voted for Craig freakin' Rivet as captain.
They voted a guy captain the organization brought in to be captain!? Oh no... Classics sports fan "I only saw him here at the end of his career and he sucked." Peters talks about him as one of the best leaders he played for.

Last edited by Imlach a cup: 06-10-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:28 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
They voted a guy captain the organization brought in to be captain!? Oh no...
....except they didn't?

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I'm not sold on Weber being a regular NHL'er long term. It took his best buddy being here for him to get his game together, which resulted in an average player. What happens if Ott leaves, or Weber get complacent?

Basically he only did OK because Ott was here, and there is still a relatively good chance he's never going to amount to anything.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:05 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
They voted a guy captain the organization brought in to be captain!? Oh no... Classics sports fan "I only saw him here at the end of his career and he sucked." Peters talks about him as one of the best leaders he played for.
What?

"Alright team, we're bringing in this guy to be captain so can you vote for him as captain please? thanks"

Rivet had a good career and a great guy, but he was clearly at the end and didn't have much left to offer. Him being captain is simply because there really wasn't anyone else.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:53 PM
sabres101

Players vote, that's the best way to do it.

I think of the Drury article in Sports Illy a while ago about how he yelled at one of the rooks after a preseason game for not blocking a shot or something. And how he banned music in the room after games until he thought the team earned it back.

So when we're up 5-1 against Calgary in the preseason and Grigerenko has a lazy backcheck or Girgensons takes a dumb retaliation penalty or Armia tries some stupid through the legs toe drag, who's going to yell at them after the game? I don't see Vanek doing it, don't see Otter doing it, don't see Ehrhoff doing it.

Webb might though, so I'd vote for him

sabres101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:07 PM
sabres101

Another thought I just had is that being named captain can sometimes elevate a guy's game. If you make Otter the captain, nothing will change. He'll still chirp and lick visors and play his game.

If you name a guy like Webb captain, maybe he buys in. Then maybe he goes all Drury on the boys, doing squats and riding the bike after games, telling Pegula to stay out of the room because they're having a team meeting after back-to-back losses (well before any 1-6 stretch and this year's team meeting at Pominville's beach house (jk)).

Maybe one night, Tyler Myers sees Webb riding the bike after a 5-1 win and joins him. Then, a week later, Cody Hodgson sees the two of them. Then, next thing you know Gerbe's in there too.

Point being, I don't see any of this happening with Vanek, Otter, Ehrhoff as captain. Not saying it will with Webb, but it might

sabres101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I've missed you guys

In response to Weber being a possible/logical C candidate, I think he buys in. Elevated his play last season. However, it'll be the players' choice. Better be an educated one. Weber seems like he can motivate the guys and be a good C.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Weber = Drury?

There are some pretty romanticized opinions of the guy. I hope you guys are right because we really don't have a captain.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:53 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Name Grigs captain and break him forever

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Do people really think it's going to make much difference who wears the "C"?

What matters a whole lot more is how many dedicated players there are on the roster. That will determine the level of commitment to winning there is. If you have enough of those players it won't matter who actually wears the "C". Wearing the "C" should not determine who leads, who works hard, who holds teammates accountable, etc. Everyone that gives a damn about winning should be doing that anyway, and it shouldn't matter if they wear a letter or not.

This debate is mostly over a moot point.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:46 PM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

I'd rather trade Weber before he gets demoted than make him captain. Disposable plug.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Der Jaeger

My choices:

1.) Rotate the C monthly.

2.) Vote.

3.) Bring someone in with credibility to wear the C. Iginla, Morrow, Koivu, etc. Best bet for this option might be to try and sign Briere if the Flyers buy him out. It'd be less of an outsider coming in to take charge.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
The weird inter-change with Vanek was only part of that as there seemed to be plenty of uncomfortable folks in that scene, including but not limited to the letter winners.
Yeah, the whole handshake thing was weird. These guys are grown men, Lindy, not teenagers.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
My choices:

1.) Rotate the C monthly.

2.) Vote.

3.) Bring someone in with credibility to wear the C. Iginla, Morrow, Koivu, etc. Best bet for this option might be to try and sign Briere if the Flyers buy him out. It'd be less of an outsider coming in to take charge.
I know Iginla's just being used as an example, but I sincerely doubt whether he'd come here for 8m/5. That's not an indictment of how bad Buffalo is as a draw, I just don't see how he'd go anywhere that isn't at least a reasonable contender unless it's Calgary.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Vito_81

Ehrhoff is my choice as captain.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 04:55 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Ehrhoff is my choice as captain.
By default.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 07:01 PM
HogtownSabresfan

One of the silliest threads of all - time. Weber has as good a chance of being captain next year as Gil,Perreault

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote