HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the Stars bought out Erik Cole.....

Old
06-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivebytrucker View Post
Really surprised to see that many people who wouldn't want him back.

Cole's always got a spot on the Canes Roster for me personally. He was here for 2001-2002 run to the Finals, was a huge story with his comeback in the Cup Win in 05/06 and came back to help during the Conference Final Run in 2008/2009.

It seems like anytime we've had something to cheer about as Canes Fans, Erik Cole was a part of it.

Maybe I'm just being no*Staal*gic.
His "help" in the 09 run was a whopping zero goals and five assists in 18 games. The best thing Cole has contributed to this franchise was being traded for Pitkanen. And don't forget what he said when he signed with Montreal. Something about it being nice to be on a consistent playoff team for once.

Love the guy for all the work hes put in, but hes not someone I'm eager to see back.

Tank King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Jussijuice

If he will take $1.5 million a year short term, I'd welcome him back for a 3rd line role. Would be decent to give Skinner and/or the Draft pick some talent to work with.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:15 PM
wallym

Hockey is a business. And Erik cole on a cheap contract would be good for the business of winning games.

If he were some alternative player of the same skillset, named Blerik Blole, we'd be drooling all over him. Fits all the needs we have. Would be a huge pickup if the price was right.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:10 AM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
Hockey is a business. And Erik cole on a cheap contract would be good for the business of winning games.

If he were some alternative player of the same skillset, named Blerik Blole, we'd be drooling all over him. Fits all the needs we have. Would be a huge pickup if the price was right.
You're right, we need more guys who can fly down the wing at a million miles an hour and posses the elite ability to cut to the net and lift a back hand precisely 1.5 inches off the ice right into the goalies pads

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:10 PM
McLirium

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonfortheHart View Post
And don't forget what he said when he signed with Montreal. Something about it being nice to be on a consistent playoff team for once.
I never understood why people are so angry about this. Sutter said nearly the same exact thing. As a fan, I know it'd be nice to cheer for a consistent playoff team for once.

McLirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:39 PM
wallym

I think it'd be nice to cheer for a team that made the playoffs, for a change.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:20 PM
LVwrangler

What is it about people wanting old Canes back on the team. First Whitney a while back now Cole and before long Jokinen will be among the talks. We need to build long term not short term. There are younger players out there that can turn into the next Cole we need to go after not old players. Otherwise we will be doing the exact same thing next year and the year after that.

LVwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Drivebytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVwrangler View Post
What is it about people wanting old Canes back on the team. First Whitney a while back now Cole and before long Jokinen will be among the talks. We need to build long term not short term. There are younger players out there that can turn into the next Cole we need to go after not old players. Otherwise we will be doing the exact same thing next year and the year after that.

If we had a 23 year old version of Erik Cole that earned his way onto the team, I doubt people would want to bring him back. Sadly, we don't.

As of now, we're short wingers that are big, tough, skilled and tough to play against.

Drivebytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 01:45 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonfortheHart View Post
His "help" in the 09 run was a whopping zero goals and five assists in 18 games.
It's even worse than that. He hasn't scored a playoff goal since this series:

Since that series, he's got 5 assists in 31 games and a -11.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 01:50 PM
impeach estaalo

Five consecutive playoff series without a goal (and I'm not counting the Edmonton series), averaging one assist per series.

That's what Alex Semin needs to do to shake playoff choker label. Not score ever, but hit people and lose the puck driving down the wing.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 01:55 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
If that were the case, I'd wonder why we would even consider acquiring Blerik Blole after the season he just had.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 02:09 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
If that were the case, I'd wonder why we would even consider acquiring Blerik Blole after the season he just had.
It's the typical Erik Cole Fan Club behavior. Nothing he ever does is wrong. He can have terrible seasons whenever he wants to, disappear in the playoffs and nobody cares because he skates fast. Same with the people who like Brandon Sutter and Zac Dalpe...I'd bet the overlap wtih Cole fans is near 100%. All terrible hockey players who do contribute next to nothing, but they are aesthetically pleasing.

I will say that I'm glad that for once people on this board want to buy low on someone instead of signing Bryan Bickell for $5M/yr, but of course it's for all the wrong reasons. He played for our team and we want him back.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Formerly CMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
Brandon Sutter
Quote:
terrible hockey players who do contribute next to nothing
lol.

Stephen Goalbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 02:48 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
What is it about people wanting old Canes back on the team.

Just wait until Rosie is gone! It'll make the Whitney/Cole whiners look great!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 03:02 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Quote:
They met said players at Harris Teeter once and became attached to them.

Just a theory.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
. All terrible hockey players who do contribute next to nothing, but they are aesthetically pleasing.
Sometimes you make great points and I agree with you. Here I must disagree. You seem to be of the opinion (and I've seen you advocate this many times) that you can just fill your third, and especially your fourth, lines with any random free agents that are available at bargain basement prices, and they'll succeed "just because." There is such a thing as continuity, team chemistry, etc. I'm sure you think of Dave Bolland as a useless, terrible hockey player that could be replaced by virtually anyone, but in reality the Blackhawks seem To think he's an important player, even though he (gasp) plays on the third line.

Same with Sutter. He's *ok.* He might score 15 or 20 goals a few times in his career. That doesn't mean that someone wanting him on their team is crazy. He fills a role, and fills it well.

As for Cole...if he signed for a year at 1.5, that's a hell of a lot better than signing LaRose for the same.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:41 PM
wallym

Quote:
Blerik Blole's crummy lockout shortened pout fest of a year, which ended with 9 goals, is still better than what the scrubs we'd be using instead of Blerik Blole were putting up. If it were for 2 million or less, it'd be pretty good value even if he didn't go back to the pace from the two full years before.

Compared to the offseason, when everybody was drooling over Blustin Blenner who was coming off a 7 goal 65 game season. And followed it up with a 2 goal 2012-2013.

If we were talking about him coming in and taking the spot of a talented young player for 4 million a year, this would be a no brainer no. But the hypothetical is 1.5 million a season. For a guy who put up 35 2 years ago, and can still skate and bang.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:23 PM
snakepliskin

i think next year should br an "up" year in the erik cole career roller coaster! so 1 yr deal if he is available would be ok w/ me

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:52 AM
QuitStaaling

Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
Oh Gawd no. Why in the heck do many, many Canes' fans have such a hard time releasing the past? Using history to blanket a lack of player knowledge? A genuine "love" of the ex-Cane? This pro-recycle philosophy baffles me.

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
This kind of philosophy really irks me. Why does somebody have to be either an idiot or a nostalgic-results-be-damned fan? You have a player that has played here. Has a familiarity with some guys on the roster. You have a guy that fits a criteria that we need in terms of a physical player with enough speed and hands to contribute on a third line, and all those positives about generating good feelings in the fanbase are just bonuses. It doesn't make somebody a bad fan to want a player back that used to play here, provided that player still has some value to provide. Not a single thing with wanting Erik Cole back if he was bought out is shameful from a hockey only standpoint no matter what some people would have you believe. He would be a good fit on a small contract right now and had things gone according to script for JR, we'd be on the hook for $4-5 million for him this season anyways according to the extra year that Montreal gave him.

Put down the irrational hate and stop trying to distance yourselves from the "facebook fans", because there are times when as hard as it is to believe they are right about things for the wrong reasons. Erik Cole could help this team. Not because he did so many years, but because he still has the set of skills that made him useful to start with.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:50 AM
bleedgreen

We suck. We deserved the 5th pick. This team pales in comparison to the cup team in terms of both forward quality depth and defense. Cole would/should be welcome. How many players do we have that are better than him even in his current form? Not nine. He also is a pure winger with size and general speed. Instead of welsh and rask playing out of position. If skinner does play center it gives us three lines made of solid pairs. Estaal/semin, jstaal/ruut, skinner/cole. Doesn't matter who gets the 3rd line tag to me. Make them 2a/2b. That's how the cup team was built. We need more quality players on the wings, and we need them relatively cheap. If we want to compete anyways. Cole, stillman, Williams, Whitney, Ladd, larose, Adams. Recchi thrown in. That team could at least play against today's B's. Right now? The team we have now is bantha fodder past the second line, and only if we figure the second line out.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:53 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Blerik Blole's crummy lockout shortened pout fest of a year, which ended with 9 goals, is still better than what the scrubs we'd be using instead of Blerik Blole were putting up. If it were for 2 million or less, it'd be pretty good value even if he didn't go back to the pace from the two full years before.
Yeah, he's better than our current options if he's on a 1-year, sub-$2m contract to play a bottom 6 support role.

The problem is that nothing in Erik Cole's career history suggests he is going to come here to take that contract or play that role. I'll believe he is willing to do that when I see it.

And yes, I am saying that Cole is going to chase the dollars and stats somewhere in the wake of being bought out. That's who he is.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Joe McGrath

Isn't Cole the guy that said he was going to retire because the Escrow was too high or some similar BS? Sounds a lot like a guy who is going to take a low money deal to me.....

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:14 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Yeah, he's better than our current options if he's on a 1-year, sub-$2m contract to play a bottom 6 support role.

The problem is that nothing in Erik Cole's career history suggests he is going to come here to take that contract or play that role. I'll believe he is willing to do that when I see it.

And yes, I am saying that Cole is going to chase the dollars and stats somewhere in the wake of being bought out. That's who he is.
Given his quotes during the lockout, it seems he better recognizes the role family plays in decision-making.

I personally don't have a problem with the guy if he comes here on a bargain deal. He did leave for more money but so what? People here forget that he got re-upped a couple of times by the Canes at the minimum allowable when he was an RFA. He may not have taken a hometown discount willingly but the Canes got him for a bargain when they had the leverage.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
We suck. We deserved the 5th pick. This team pales in comparison to the cup team in terms of both forward quality depth and defense. Cole would/should be welcome. How many players do we have that are better than him even in his current form? Not nine. He also is a pure winger with size and general speed. Instead of welsh and rask playing out of position. If skinner does play center it gives us three lines made of solid pairs. Estaal/semin, jstaal/ruut, skinner/cole. Doesn't matter who gets the 3rd line tag to me. Make them 2a/2b. That's how the cup team was built. We need more quality players on the wings, and we need them relatively cheap. If we want to compete anyways. Cole, stillman, Williams, Whitney, Ladd, larose, Adams. Recchi thrown in. That team could at least play against today's B's. Right now? The team we have now is bantha fodder past the second line, and only if we figure the second line out.
Interesting...so to elaborate to the top nine:

Blusty/BleBlaal/Blemin
Blufa?/BloBlaal/Bluutu
(Blwyer,Blalpe, Blask, or 5th?)/Blinner/Blole

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote