HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the Stars bought out Erik Cole.....

Old
06-10-2013, 11:33 AM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
Tlusty/estaal/semin
Ruutu/jstaal/nichushkin
Whoever shows in camp/skinner/cole

If you were being serious.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
Isn't Cole the guy that said he was going to retire because the Escrow was too high or some similar BS? Sounds a lot like a guy who is going to take a low money deal to me.....
He'll take what he can get and what the market bears. And if he's smart, he'll go somewhere he has a history of producing. That place would be here. Not saying it's a foregone conclusion or anything of the sort, but if you are a player that wants to reestablish your value it's in your best interest to find a situation where you don't have to fight tooth and nail for every shred of favor you get.... a place you have a history.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
He'll take what he can get and what the market bears. And if he's smart, he'll go somewhere he has a history of producing. That place would be here. Not saying it's a foregone conclusion or anything of the sort, but if you are a player that wants to reestablish your value it's in your best interest to find a situation where you don't have to fight tooth and nail for every shred of favor you get.... a place you have a history.
If his goal was to come in for a 1 year, $1.5-2 million contract, put up some points on a familiar team, and take the biggest check that comes as a UFA in 2014 I would be absolutely OK with that. In no way is that a bad hockey move, especially if it helps the team go to the Playoffs next year and brings in at least another couple million in revenue.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Tlusty/estaal/semin
Ruutu/jstaal/nichushkin
Whoever shows in camp/skinner/cole

If you were being serious.
Yes, I was. However, I initially read your one line as "Whoever shows up in camp."

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Blown Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
If his goal was to come in for a 1 year, $1.5-2 million contract, put up some points on a familiar team, and take the biggest check that comes as a UFA in 2014 I would be absolutely OK with that.
I would agree. However, I suspect Cole will be looking for a multi-year deal at a higher salary. Whether or not he can get it is another question. Cole turns 35 this fall. I would not be in favor of anything beyond a one year deal.

Blown Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:38 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bubchuk View Post
Yes, I was. However, I initially read your one line as "Whoever shows up in camp."
Matt Marquardt, come on down!

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:59 PM
dammit100

Is Cole the McRib?

dammit100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Oenatzu
#DirectorOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Matt Marquardt, come on down!
I choose you, Blancharizard!

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenatzu View Post
I choose you, Blancharizard!
I'm pretty sure I copyrighted that (on this board) back during the season. You owe me approximately $22.13.

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
I'm pretty sure I copyrighted that (on this board) back during the season. You owe me approximately $22.13.
If I can't get royalties on Sluty, Blancharizard is public domain. My much less successful dub of MA Bergeron as "Mr. Bojangles", was not quite as effective as I had hoped it would be.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
If I can't get royalties on Sluty, Blancharizard is public domain. My much less successful dub of MA Bergeron as "Mr. Bojangles", was not quite as effective as I had hoped it would be.
Ah, but did you claim copyright of the Tlusty moniker in a thread? I did. I'll look for it for proof.

EDIT: Well, I guess I didn't officially claim copyright. Carry on then, Oenatzu.

Last edited by Head Goose: 06-10-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 05:39 AM
Boom Boom Anton

I think people complaining about fans wanting Cole back because he is an "ex-Cane" would have a more valid complaint if people were suggesting signing him for a lot of money and putting him on the top line. But that's not what's being suggested here (for the most part). The posters in favor of it are talking about a 3rd line role at low salary. Now, weather or not Cole would take an offer like that remains to be seen as he has chased money in the past, but thinks could be a bit different now.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 06:30 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
$2M/yr on a multi-year contract isn't a low salary on this team with the little money we have left to spend that should be going towards defense, not another winger, especially someone like Cole who has off seasons half the time. You really think we are going to get two good years out of Cole in the span of two years? We don't have the money to risk on a guy who chooses when he wants to play. There are few players who float and take as many games off as Cole, and one of them is already on the team.

And you are kidding yourself if you think this isn't going to turn into a Staal-Cole nostalgia trip at the drop of a hat. You really think the years of pathetic, demonstrably false "Staal needs Cole" nonsense (sample argument: Me - "Here's a 300-game sample size where Staal produced more without Cole than he did with Cole"; ErikColeNASCARFan26 - "Stats are bad") is just gone? Four games into the season people will demand we take Tlusty off the top line because the top line has only scored 3/4ths of our goals and Kirk Muller will oblige. I think some underestimate just how dumb coaches are...you don't think Muller hasn't already personally listened to Jim Rutherford painstakingly detailing his crush on Cole for hours on end? I watched Paul Maurice take Jussi Jokinen in the midst of a 30-goal season on Staal's line and bump him down the lineup in favor of Erik Cole's figure skating display. Then I watched Paul Maurice put Cory Stillman on the same powerplay unit as Joni Pitkanen and Jussi Jokinen, because having three left-handed pass first players on the ice at the same idea is a great idea. I've seen no indication that Muller is any brighter than Mo. If he'll put Chad on the top line he won't hesitate to put Cole. And this will inevitably end up with Staal scoring his usual 70 points, which will be credited to Cole because he'll factor in on a significant percentage of those points (as would anyone), leading to a multi-year contract extension. When it's all said and done we'll have given Cole around $15M or so for a few 40 point seasons.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Are there even any rumors that Cole is being bought out? or is that just being thrown out in this thread? I though the whole reason Dallas made the trade was because they wanted a guy who had more than 1 year on their contract (vs. Ryder who was a UFA)?

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:39 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Are there even any rumors that Cole is being bought out? or is that just being thrown out in this thread? I though the whole reason Dallas made the trade was because they wanted a guy who had more than 1 year on their contract (vs. Ryder who was a UFA)?
No, just one writer's opinion, and you can note that the same writer thought Justin Williams was going to be bought out. Of course everyone here has taken it and ran with it, because they salivate at the thought of any former 'Cane going on a pointless reunion tour.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:42 PM
bleedgreen

im one of the biggest haters on this board of the retread factory. always have been.

i still think cole would make sense for this team. more than any other retread i can think of for sure. even if he didnt have history here, if he was bought out he would be a logical choice for our third line.

i agree that he is unlikely to get bought out though. this was obviously a hypothetical conversation from the get go.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:12 AM
agent22red
10/10/14

vCash: 206
I am on the fence, so if its not a "must" than no. Someone mentioned "recycling" players and I think thats a good point. He is 34 and still injury prone.

agent22red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Timani

Stars fan here. I haven't heard anything on Cole being bought out, and Boom is right that he was brought in due to not being an UFA, plus Ray Whitney recommended him to Nieuwendyk.

Having said that, we've got Jim Nill now and he's expected to really push for roster upgrades to make the playoffs this year after five out and we need a Center. How has Ruutu been? I'm wondering if Nill is looking to bring in someone like Ruutu while our young guys develop or if he'll trade some of the young guys for other slightly more established guys.

Is Ruutu available or one of your young C's for defensive help?

Did Ruutu ever play with Cole?

Timani is offline   Reply With Quote