HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penguins Firesale

Old
06-07-2013, 10:58 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
you're posting this at a very lousy time, in my opinion. just an hour after one of the worst SCP performances in league history and you are asking for what the Pens' lines will be next year. sorry, but few people still awake at this hour who are upset with the way things turned out won't have much patience to cooperate with your concern.

in my opinion, it's FAR too early to make a decent prediction on what the Pens' lineup will look like. all i can say is what i HOPE will happen:

- Bylsma will get fired as well as a few of his cronies.
- Either the Pens hire a real candidate for the job or they promote John Hynes and continue the madness that is promoting from within.
- Fleury will either be traded for two picks or bought out with one of their amnesty buyouts.
- Pens will look to sign an affordable goaltender like Mike Smith.
- Letang and Malkin will be asked for what they want on their next contracts. They will accommodate whatever Malkin wants. If Letang wants more than, say, $5M per year, they may look to trade him.
- Morrow, Iginla, Kennedy, and Murray will be let go and i think the Pens will try their damnedest to re-sign Dupuis and Cooke. They may try to re-sign Kunitz but if he costs too much, they let him walk.

that's all i can guess right now.
That's cool. It is very early and I was under the understanding that a Pens fan started this thread and that is why I asked. I don't mean to be out of line. Just curious is all. As a total outsider who doesn't follow the Pens too much during the regular season (been a busy couple of seasons for us) I am just curious as to who and how it will come together without moving Malkin.

You have given me some things to chew on and sorry for the timing.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:59 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Pittsburgh would need to add to Martin to get Gunnar alone..
so that makes two people tonight who haven't watched an ounce of Paul Martin's play this season.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:00 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.200m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Matt Cooke ($1.800m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.900m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,073,333; BONUSES: $85,000
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $9,311,667

Over 9 million in cap space to sign a defenseman, another forward, and a backup goalie.
Thanks.

This is the team that you see going into next season including improvements. That is also good information.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Drew311
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilySmoov View Post
Ehh. From what I've read, Martin was excellent this year whereas Gunnar wasn't his usual, dependable self (despite being solid in the playoffs as far as I'm concerned). Plus, a veteran blue-liner couldn't hurt.
Gunnarsson was playing hurt for 80% of the season. He opted to play through a nagging injury instead of shutting it down long term to heal. That said, he still played half decent defensive hockey for the most part. Taking into consideration salary and performance, I would keep Gunnarsson over trading for Martin.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Zrhutch

Stars fan here. And I don't want to talk about Malkin. Also, can we just put a moratorium on those proposals? Cause every single one is absolutely ridiculous. Anyway.

If there's actually going to be a fire sale (which I seriously doubt), I'd like to kick the tires on Orpik, Jokinen, and possibly Kunitz. Also Bylsma, but that's unrelated.

So what would you want from Dallas for any of those 3?

Zrhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 152
Quote:
so that makes two people tonight who haven't watched an ounce of Paul Martin's play this season.
I'd rather have Gunnarsson at 1.35-2 million (depends on what he signs for) than Paul Martin at 5 million. Not even close.

Paul Martin is not a bad hockey player if that's what you think I'm saying. I understand you're a little touchy since the dream team was just eliminated tonight so I'll forgive your homerism this time.

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:03 PM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Thanks.

This is the team that you see going into next season including improvements. That is also good information.
Hopefully we can sign some sort of top 4 Dman in free agency. The biggest improvements will be hopefully firing our coach and letting Bennett and Despres play, instead of benching them for 80% of the playoffs since they are clearly better than their deadline replacements.

bambamcam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:04 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrhutch View Post
Stars fan here. And I don't want to talk about Malkin. Also, can we just put a moratorium on those proposals? Cause every single one is absolutely ridiculous. Anyway.

If there's actually going to be a fire sale (which I seriously doubt), I'd like to kick the tires on Orpik, Jokinen, and possibly Kunitz. Also Bylsma, but that's unrelated.

Kunitz: not really sure. he's big for Crosby. probably not available for anything less than a 1st/gritty, strong NHL winger.

Jokinen: probably a 4th/5th, although he's been money in faceoffs and the Pens desperately need that.

Orpik: probably not available either, but i wouldn't be upset with a 2nd-round pick or something if they had someone that could step in immediately as a stay-at-home defenseman.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Drew311
Van Man

Quote:
It has nothing to do with Martin's play this year. There would be no reason to trade Gunnarsson + assets for Martin. Gunnarsson will be making half as much as Martin next season and beyond, while playing very comparable two-way hockey. Make no sense from a Leafs perspective.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Kenny G

Wild: Letang and Fleury
Penguins: Pominville and Harding

Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:05 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
I'd rather have Gunnarsson at 1.35-2 million (depends on what he signs for) than Paul Martin at 5 million. Not even close.

Paul Martin is not a bad hockey player if that's what you think I'm saying. I understand you're a little touchy since the dream team was just eliminated tonight so I'll forgive your homerism this time.
homerism? he was one of the best Penguins defensemen this season! you keep showing that you have no idea what you're talking about. stick with the Habs, please, because you're clueless when it comes to the Pens/probably any other team.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Roof Daddy

Considering he is only under contract for one more year, I'd offer Petry + 7th overall for Letang and just hope he likes E-Town enough to sign an extension. Pair him with Klefbom and Smid with JSchultz and our top 4 is set for a while.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:08 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
Hopefully we can sign some sort of top 4 Dman in free agency. The biggest improvements will be hopefully firing our coach and letting Bennett and Despres play, instead of benching them for 80% of the playoffs since they are clearly better than their deadline replacements.
Bums me out about Bylsma. He did such a great job for you guys before (or it seemed like he did) only to come to this. I like Despres and think that kid can play. Bennett looks good too but I want to see him continue making the jump. I see a ton of win in him but after watching him a bunch while he was developing I have a couple of questions about his ability to be effective at both ends of the ice.

Likely nothing and he will probably be fine. Just a nagging doubt here and there. If it all works out for him he could be pretty special.

I agree on the deadline replacements. Who knew? I though Iginla seemed to be fitting in alright for a bit there.

Interesting offseason for sure but not as much as I thought it could be by the looks of things.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 152
Quote:
homerism? he was one of the best Penguins defensemen this season! you keep showing that you have no idea what you're talking about. stick with the Habs, please.
So he goes from people wanting to run him out of town to having a decent shortened season and all of a sudden he's worth a bunch of assets?

I'm sorry but he's not worth 5 million dollars no matter if he was one of Pittsburgh's best defenseman or not. He was solid from what I watched this year, but he's making 5 million dollars on a team that doesn't spend much on the blue line. Not good enough, and certainly not worth a younger player who is just as good at 1/3 the price.

also just add, just because someone doesnt agree with you, you shouldn't automatically assume they know nothing about hockey and don't have a valid opinion.

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:09 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
It has nothing to do with Martin's play this year. There would be no reason to trade Gunnarsson + assets for Martin. Gunnarsson will be making half as much as Martin next season and beyond, while playing very comparable two-way hockey. Make no sense from a Leafs perspective.
from that angle, it's understandable. i just think it's hilarious when people keep saying Martin is garbage. he's been one of the Pens' best defensemen this year, if not their best. he's completely turned his ****** game around since last year.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrhutch View Post

For orpik on of Young powerforward prospect/goaltender with good potential/ a 2nd+3rd

For jokinen 3rd/4th

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:10 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Kessel+Kadri for Malkin

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:11 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
So he goes from people wanting to run him out of town to having a decent shortened season and all of a sudden he's worth a bunch of assets?

I'm sorry but he's not worth 5 million dollars no matter if he was one of Pittsburgh's best defenseman or not. He was solid from what I watched this year, but he's making 5 million dollars on a team that doesn't spend much on the blue line. Not good enough, and certainly not worth a younger player who is just as good at 1/3 the price.

also just add, just because someone doesnt agree with you, you shouldn't automatically assume they know nothing about hockey and don't have a valid opinion.
when did i say he should even be traded? i hope they keep him. he's been consistently good this season. that's way more than i can say for "Mr. Norris Candidate" Letang. and i didn't say you didn't know anything about hockey, so thanks for somehow putting words in my posts that weren't there. i said you clearly didn't watch the Pens play, and that was obvious with your ridiculous assessment of Martin's play.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Drew311
Van Man

Quote:
from that angle, it's understandable. i just think it's hilarious when people keep saying Martin is garbage. he's been one of the Pens' best defensemen this year, if not their best. he's completely turned his ****** game around since last year.
You're preaching to the choir my friend. For whatever reason, Leafs players are considered useless around these parts, regardless of how they play.

Martin is a bonafide two-way defenseman that a lot of teams would like to get their hands on. If he was making 3.5 people would be gushing over him right now. Funny how 1.5 million makes such a difference in today's NHL.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:22 PM
ANDI P IS CUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenBartschi27 View Post
Wow, you lose one series in the THIRD round and you blow it up? No, that is absolutely the wrong mentality, you should be adding pieces and targeting people that can get you past that 3rd round.
no. You got KILLED and score 2 goals and got swept.

ANDI P IS CUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Letang to Vancouver for Schneider + Bieksa or Luongo, Bieksa, plus something.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Sam Pollock

How about Ben Hanowski, Kenny Agostino and a conditional 2014 1st round pick (if we make the playoffs otherwise 2014 2nd round pick) for Malkin?

Sam Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:29 PM
tntkid

We will give you Olli Jokinen & Nik Antropov & Ron Hainsey for Chris Kunitz.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Pollock View Post
How about Ben Hanowski, Kenny Agostino and a conditional 2014 1st round pick (if we make the playoffs otherwise 2014 2nd round pick) for Malkin?
no thanks. Malkin >>>>>>>>>> Iginla, (and to use an already exaggerated HFBoards quip) AINEC

Old
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
I know Letang has been singled out by Pens fans as being a playoff liability, so I'd be interested in what he'd be worth. Fleury should be obvious tradebait as well.
For all the crap those guys are taking, outside the one game the team allowed less than 2 GAA. Letang and goaltending were not Pittsburgh's problem.

The problems were the Malkin and Crosby lines not scoring.