HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Rask vs Price.

View Poll Results: Who do you think will be better?
Price 45 26.47%
Rask 125 73.53%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-08-2013, 01:50 PM
CP31

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Rask and it really isn't close. I don't even think Price will ever be a top tier goalie in the NHL, and that horrendous playoff record, when it matters most, doesn't help
Just Like Lunqvist doesn't have a good playoff record? Is he not a good goalie? The goalies arent the only players on a team you know.

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Franky Gee

Dat timing.

Franky Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Depends on the year, obviously it's Rask right now. Both will be top 5 or 10 goalies in the NHL every year for many years.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 02:09 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If Price had Rasks demeanor in net (I.E. more acrobatic plus more hungry to do anything possible to make a save) he'd be far and away better than Rask.

Since Price hasn't had that in his game except for his best season to date, I'd have to rank Rask as the better goalie currently unless Price rediscovers that fire.
Catch 22, when Price plays badly ppl say he just doesn't care and has no fire, but when he plays well, he is calm cool and collected.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 02:12 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
When you're arguing something as subjective as poise and ability to get back in position, no one can prove you wrong.

It's weird to me Price's best season as a goalie in his career just barely tops Rasks' worst.
It's kinda though to only look at the stats, Rask has 1 NHL season where he has played more than 40 games, Price has done that 5 times already.

For me flip a coin, last 2 years everyone was saying Price, now it's Rask, look for it to be the same debate for the next 10+ years IMO

Last edited by habs03: 06-08-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old
06-08-2013, 02:19 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Rask and it really isn't close. I don't even think Price will ever be a top tier goalie in the NHL, and that horrendous playoff record, when it matters most, doesn't help
Price's playoff numbers have to taken with a gain of salt, he was put into the fire at a young age, 20-21, if you look at Lundqvist, Quicks, and look at Rask playoff before their were 25-26 it wasn't anything special.

Old
06-08-2013, 02:20 PM
blueNwhite89

Rask is far superior.

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin9 View Post
The OP thinks that they both have been hyped from time to times, and have both had their moments. He also thinks that they are very close in terms of value but cant decide it himself. The OP also thinks, that you have a very hard buttpain. Something that cant be handled on medicine. Welp
The OP would be wrong. Also, the term you're looking for is ********. Don't act you didn't have some ulterior motive behind this thread. The mere fact you made it a few HOURS after Rask had an amazing series speaks volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLblue75 View Post
Rask is far superior.
He's certainly playing that way. Too bad you traded him for Andrew Raycroft.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 03:39 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If Price had Rasks demeanor in net (I.E. more acrobatic plus more hungry to do anything possible to make a save) he'd be far and away better than Rask.

Since Price hasn't had that in his game except for his best season to date, I'd have to rank Rask as the better goalie currently unless Price rediscovers that fire.
Price style isn't acrobatic or erratic, it's playing the angles. Neither one is better

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
Price style isn't acrobatic or erratic, it's playing the angles. Neither one is better
Pretty much the same as Rask.

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:46 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
why? he is putting his game together,
Carey Price's best year was 2010-2011, when he had a 0.931sv% at even strength.

His second best year was 2007-2008, when he posted a 0.929sv% at even strength.

Both of those are in "elite" territory - guys like Luongo, Lundqvist, and Rinne are at or near that mark very consistently. Jonathan Quick had a 0.933sv% at even strength last year when he won the Vezina.

The problem is that every other year he's been in the NHL, Carey Price has been nothing more than a very average goaltender. In fact, other than those 2 seasons, he's been extremely consistent: In 4 of the last 5 years, his evsv% has been between 0.918 and 0.921.

If Price's game is "coming together", how come his 2 best seasons came 3 years ago and when he was a rookie?

Quote:
his lower body strength to push and get back in position, his rebound control, his poise.
The first two are legitimate things a goaltender needs.

Poise? Poise in hockey is a phrase that was invented by people who were looking for imaginary ways to claim one player is better than another. Having more poise doesn't help you react faster to 100mph pucks, it doesn't put you in better position for rebounds or screened shots, and it doesn't stop the puck when you don't.

Quote:
They are all elite and better than rask,
I'm not sure how you measure the differences in Rask/Price's lower body strength (have you measured their calves or something?), or their rebound control really. How many odd-man rushes does Montreal give up in an average game? Don't know? Then how do you know Price is better than Rask at rebound control? How often does either goalie allow a rebound on a point shot? I bet you nor anyone on HFBoards has any idea - so how can you definitively state that Price is better at it?

I'm not saying Price ISN'T better at rebound control.. I'm saying that nobody has any way to prove it other than "well I watched the games" and I know stuff about hockey because I watched the games and I know what I know is right because I know it.

Quote:
he just has had a tough time playing in a market like montreal with a inconsistent montreal team.
The possibility different markets have different effects on goalies is an interesting one. Do you have any evidence to suggest that might be true, or did a media guy say it and it just sounded true?

I don't claim to know how Rask is better than Price... but I do seriously question people who think Price is better when Rask has been significantly better than Price 3 of the 4 years he's been in the league.

10 years from now I bet this conversation looks pretty stupid; the talent difference between these two goalies is the difference between consistently elite and consistently average, and it is not going to shrink.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Just Like Lunqvist doesn't have a good playoff record? Is he not a good goalie? The goalies arent the only players on a team you know.
It's almost like the Bruins during Rask's career have been a substantially better team than the Habs during Price's!

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Price's S% drops from .915 to .905 in the playoffs

Lundqvist's stays exactly at .920

06-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
It's almost like the Bruins during Rask's career have been a substantially better team than the Habs during Price's!
The Canadiens pushed the Bruins to a game 7 OT

Old
06-08-2013, 06:15 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Carey Price's best year was 2010-2011, when he had a 0.931sv% at even strength.

His second best year was 2007-2008, when he posted a 0.929sv% at even strength.

Both of those are in "elite" territory - guys like Luongo, Lundqvist, and Rinne are at or near that mark very consistently. Jonathan Quick had a 0.933sv% at even strength last year when he won the Vezina.

The problem is that every other year he's been in the NHL, Carey Price has been nothing more than a very average goaltender. In fact, other than those 2 seasons, he's been extremely consistent: In 4 of the last 5 years, his evsv% has been between 0.918 and 0.921.

If Price's game is "coming together", how come his 2 best seasons came 3 years ago and when he was a rookie?

The first two are legitimate things a goaltender needs.

Poise? Poise in hockey is a phrase that was invented by people who were looking for imaginary ways to claim one player is better than another. Having more poise doesn't help you react faster to 100mph pucks, it doesn't put you in better position for rebounds or screened shots, and it doesn't stop the puck when you don't.

I'm not sure how you measure the differences in Rask/Price's lower body strength (have you measured their calves or something?), or their rebound control really. How many odd-man rushes does Montreal give up in an average game? Don't know? Then how do you know Price is better than Rask at rebound control? How often does either goalie allow a rebound on a point shot? I bet you nor anyone on HFBoards has any idea - so how can you definitively state that Price is better at it?

I'm not saying Price ISN'T better at rebound control.. I'm saying that nobody has any way to prove it other than "well I watched the games" and I know stuff about hockey because I watched the games and I know what I know is right because I know it.

The possibility different markets have different effects on goalies is an interesting one. Do you have any evidence to suggest that might be true, or did a media guy say it and it just sounded true?

I don't claim to know how Rask is better than Price... but I do seriously question people who think Price is better when Rask has been significantly better than Price 3 of the 4 years he's been in the league.

10 years from now I bet this conversation looks pretty stupid; the talent difference between these two goalies is the difference between consistently elite and consistently average, and it is not going to shrink.
Revisionist history?

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Someone will start that poll all over again when Price plays outstanding and Rask goes through a bit of a slump. Watch...

Timing is everything.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Someone will start that poll all over again when Price plays outstanding and Rask goes through a bit of a slump. Watch...

Timing is everything.
I don't think that will happen, and if it does, not long enough for someone to make a thread about it

Old
06-08-2013, 11:01 PM
sharks9

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ght=price+rask
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1084601

What have you done for me lately is all that matters on this board.

EDIT: I realize they're talking about upside and not who's better, but I bet if you asked who has higher upside now Rask would win the poll because hes been better recently.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

vCash: 592
Hard to argue against the guy in the SCF. Rask easily for me.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ght=price+rask
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1084601

What have you done for me lately is all that matters on this board.

EDIT: I realize they're talking about upside and not who's better, but I bet if you asked who has higher upside now Rask would win the poll because hes been better recently.
So earlier on, Price was pretty much confirmed to be better
Later, Price and Rask were a little more even
Now, Rask had solidified being better than Price

I don't think this is "what have you done for me lately"(though it absolutely helps), but more of a realization Rask has always been this good and Price just didn't become what most thought he would.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:02 AM
reffree

Quote:
Of course if your team is bad your chance to win are smaller. But,to give you an exemple:

To have acces to at least 7 games in the playoff in 2013 the goalies needed a minimum of .917 save %. Not to win the Conn Smythe, only to play 7 games. No goalies with a lesser save % reach 7 games. Price took part in 5 post season run with the habs registering a save % of .901-.878-.890-.934-.894 for a carrer playoff save % of .905. Say what you want but that's not Lundquvist like (.920), it's Fleury territory (.903).

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:03 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Rollins View Post
Lol the timing of this. Rask just came off a terrific 2 shutout series and Price struggled at the end of his season. Rask will win overwhelmingly. Makes me wonder if the OP is seeking validation for his fellow Finn.
That's exactly what it is.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 01:03 AM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Quote:
Lol the timing of this. Rask just came off a terrific 2 shutout series and Price struggled at the end of his season. Rask will win overwhelmingly. Makes me wonder if the OP is seeking validation for his fellow Finn.
Not like Rask absolutely smoked Price during the regular season or anything too...

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 01:11 AM
blueNwhite89

Quote:
The OP would be wrong. Also, the term you're looking for is ********. Don't act you didn't have some ulterior motive behind this thread. The mere fact you made it a few HOURS after Rask had an amazing series speaks volumes.

He's certainly playing that way. Too bad you traded him for Andrew Raycroft.
I traded who now?

Pretty ironic post. You sound fairly "********" yourself.

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:09 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
So earlier on, Price was pretty much confirmed to be better
Later, Price and Rask were a little more even
Now, Rask had solidified being better than Price

I don't think this is "what have you done for me lately"(though it absolutely helps), but more of a realization Rask has always been this good and Price just didn't become what most thought he would.
I think you're reading the dates wrong.

The poll where it was close was halfway through last season.
The poll where Price overwhelmingly won was during this offseason.

And didn't become what he thought he would? Well he certainly didn't expect him to play injured the last stretch of the season. And if you think Rask's career SV% will stay at .927 when he starts playing an actual starter's workload you're dreaming.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote