HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[DAL] Gonchar signs two-year deal ($5M cap hit)

Old
06-07-2013, 05:24 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Did he decide to take a role within the organization though? I know Nill said he would like to keep him around in some capacity if possible.
Nope, not yet.

FrailSwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:26 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
Nill's looking for 2 years.
Well Gonchar said he was looking for two years, they know they better hit the right numbers and term if they are going to convince him. I can't help but think this might have a grander design, I have been skeptical that the Pens would truly shop Malkin, but the Stars are one of the teams with good cap contracts on their star players in Benn and Eriksson, a nice pick at ten and some offensive fire power on the wings in their system. They could put together an aggressive bid on Malkin if Pittsburgh is truly interested in shopping him, which I still doubt. But this is intriguing from that angle.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:26 PM
caley

For anyone who's struggling to see the point of this
#1. Gonchar is close to signing/has a great offer to play in KHL, hence why the deal is being made now, rather than after the finals.
#2. Ottawa, apparently, was not going to bring him back.
#3. Dallas has cap space and more of a chance to outbid/match the KHL offer and bring in Gonchar to mentor their young defencemen.
#4. Presumably, the pick is conditional on if Gonchar signs with Dallas, if not, I'd guess Ottawa gets nothing for a guy they were going for nothing anyway.

06-07-2013, 05:27 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Quote:
Well Gonchar said he was looking for two years, they know they better hit the right numbers and term if they are going to convince him. I can't help but think this might have a grander design, I have been skeptical that the Pens would truly shop Malkin, but the Stars are one of the teams with good cap contracts on their star players in Benn and Eriksson, a nice pick at ten and some offensive fire power on the wings in their system. They could put together an aggressive bid on Malkin if Pittsburgh is truly interested in shopping him, which I still doubt. But this is intriguing from that angle.
Man, I'd love Malkin on this team. But he would cost us soooo much.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:29 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
For anyone who's struggling to see the point of this
#1. Gonchar is close to signing/has a great offer to play in KHL, hence why the deal is being made now, rather than after the finals.
#2. Ottawa, apparently, was not going to bring him back.
#3. Dallas has cap space and more of a chance to outbid/match the KHL offer and bring in Gonchar to mentor their young defencemen.
#4. Presumably, the pick is conditional on if Gonchar signs with Dallas, if not, I'd guess Ottawa gets nothing for a guy they were going for nothing anyway.
@StarsInsiderEdge
Quote:
Stars will send 6th round pick to Senators if Gonchar signs.If he doesn't sign with Dallas, the Stars keep the pick.
Quote:
Gonchar waived his no-trade clause to complete deal. Jim Nill said he's willing to go 2 years on contract, but it will depend on money.
That's tells us everything right there.

Old
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Man, I'd love Malkin on this team. But he would cost us soooo much.
He is worth it, Detroit doesn't have the assets to pull it off. But make no mistake Malkin is worth Benn + or Eriksson ++ as hard as that might be to stomach with your love of the hometown guys. Also Nill has no previous inclination towards them and can put his own stamp on the team in a sizable way.

Old
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
@StarsInsiderEdge
Seems like a no-lose situation.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:30 PM
H2O

Happy to hear Ottawa isn't bringing him back. Hope he signs in Dallas.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

vCash: 57
Quote:
He is worth it, Detroit doesn't have the assets to pull it off. But make no mistake Malkin is worth Benn + or Eriksson ++ as hard as that might be to stomach with your love of the hometown guys. Also Nill has no previous inclination towards them and can put his own stamp on the team in a sizable way.
Nill is quoted saying Benn and Eriksson are part of the core of this team, we won't be trading for Malkin.

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:33 PM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Quote:
Would do Eriksson + Lehtonen+ for Malkin + Fleury

It'd be tough, but Fleury needs the change, and it's Geno f'ing Malkin

oconnor9sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I was really hoping the new CBA had eliminated these trading of rights deals.
Why? Would you rather them sign and trade?

Frodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Malkin is signed for 1 year, unless Nill can secure an extension immediately, I can't see him giving up all those assets with Malkin's future in Dallas clouded.

As for the trade, no-lose situation for either team.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:36 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
Would do Eriksson + Lehtonen+ for Malkin + Fleury

It'd be tough, but Fleury needs the change, and it's Geno f'ing Malkin
You would probably still need to add something.

My only point was Dallas is exactly the kind of trading partner Pittsburgh is looking for should they truly be looking to move Malkin. Established young stars on good contracts, have a feeling Benn would be the target, the add wouldn't need to be as huge then, but it would still be an add. As you say it is Geno ******* Malkin.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
Malkin is signed for 1 year, unless Nill can secure an extension immediately, I can't see him giving up all those assets with Malkin's future in Dallas clouded.

If any team acquires Malkin, it'll be through FA. He has a no-movement clause for 2013-2014.

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Quote:

My only point was Dallas is exactly the kind of trading partner Pittsburgh is looking for should they truly be looking to move Malkin. Established young stars on good contracts, have a feeling Benn would be the target, the add wouldn't need to be as huge then, but it would still be an add. As you say it is Geno ******* Malkin.
I'd add Faksa, but it really is a cloudy situation with the contract ending soon.

Old
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:

Does Malkin strike you as a guy that wants to play in a small market and on a team that is still retooling? Or does he prefer the big lights?

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:39 PM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Quote:

I did say a plus after Lehtonen.

Benn would be too much. He's our soon to be captain and though Malkin is the better player, Lehtonen and Eriksson and say Goligoski/Daley would be about as much as if be willing to go for Malkin + Fleury

oconnor9sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:40 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:

I am sure an extension would be part of it otherwise no sale, was just saying this is a dark horse move. New Owner, New GM looking to put their stamp on the team. I am sure they are fine moving forward with Benn and Eriksson, but Malkin is a guy you move one of them in a package for no question. The new Owner has the deep pockets to pay him the 10 million. You get his best friend on a two year deal. An interesting thing developing here but Pittsburgh has to actually shop him first which I have doubts about in the first place. Had Staal not gone a big package around Eriksson would make tons of sense but guessing it will be Benn.

You can like your core, but Holland and his then head of player development Nill used to say Keith Primeau was a core guy. One of Holland's first actions in the three headed GM system in Detroit was along with Bowman recommending sending out Primeau, a big stamp on the team and one that got him the full GM gig.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:42 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Does Malkin strike you as a guy that wants to play in a small market and on a team that is still retooling? Or does he prefer the big lights?
Not for me to say, don't view Dallas as a true small market either. Malkin does love Pittsburgh. But Dallas is a friendly city to superstars and Malkin would create a lot of buzz and be shown a lot of love as the guy there.

I just think this whole time since Dreger's tweet I have struggled to see a landing spot. Dallas is a team that makes an interesting trading partner. It will cost a lot of assets, but they have those and most importantly for the Pens they have them on good cap contracts.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Dirty Kari

If we are willing to give him 2 years then he probably signs here. Gaglardi really doesn't seem to care about giving money out and 2 years won't hurt us. We have a ton of young d-men who need some guidance and we just can't play them all. Organization has said before it expects 2 of them to play this upcoming season.

Dirty Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:51 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

He'll help Goligoski a lot.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
He'll help Goligoski a lot.
Why? They had the same number of points this season.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
God I hope the Stars bring Zubov out of retirement and pair him up with Gonchar. Would be like a hockey wet dream come true for me.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:04 PM
caley

Why are half the posts in here about Malkin to Dallas?! Please keep all the rest of the Malkin to Dallas chatter in the ongoing Malkin thread, please.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:06 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Why are half the posts in here about Malkin to Dallas?! Please keep all the rest of the Malkin to Dallas chatter in the ongoing Malkin thread, please.
My bad, it popped into my head and I posted it, went to the more appropriate thread after. Gonchar and Malkin are BFFs so that was a part of it.

Really like this move in general by Nill, low risk high reward. Always pull for Nill and Yzerman as a Wings fan.