Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

2013 Draft Thread

Old
06-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Breakfast of Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
I am a big fan of Fortier. He would have put far more impressive stats on almost any other team as he was stuck behind many AAA veterans on LSL. One of the youngest players available in this draft too.
Can you elaborate on Fortier? I'm curious to what type of game he plays as I know nothing about him.

I also took note of what you were saying being one of the youngest players in the draft. His stats are pretty impressive for being one of the youngest players in the league.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:53 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Can you elaborate on Fortier? I'm curious to what type of game he plays as I know nothing about him.

I also took note of what you were saying being one of the youngest players in the draft. His stats are pretty impressive for being one of the youngest players in the league.
He's all around good, got stuck behind a few guys, he's got some grit and plays really hard.

IHaveNoCreativity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Are any of their drafted Americans that good ?
Jonathan MacLeod, yes. Rest, no idea.

Could be starting their pitch for Chad Krys. Snag 2 or 3 Americans on top of Garland to ease the transition

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:55 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Can't believe there isn't a thread.

The draft went as expected at the top. Roy went #1 to CBSE.

The Foreurs traded the 9th AND 10th picks for the 6th.
There must have been more to it. Like this was the first part of the trade only and there was to be a compensation other than the Dunn trade if Henley was not available at pick no. 8 (assuming VD really wanted both Gauthier and Henley). If you combine both trades, it actually makes a lot of sense for VD. Dunn + pick 9 + pick 10 for picks 6, 8 and 19. By trading pick 19 for Marcotte (who should be back as a 20 year old), VD replaced Dunn's offensive outpout while using picks 6 and 8 to get the two big guys that they might not have gotten at 9 and 10 (certainly hot Gauthier with Chicoutimi picking 7 anyway).

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:58 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
He's all around good, got stuck behind a few guys, he's got some grit and plays really hard.
Exactly. No weakness in his two-way game and does possess goodoffensive upside. One of my sleeper picks in this draft and I thought he would go10 spots before where he went

Old
06-08-2013, 05:01 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post

Could be starting their pitch for Chad Krys. Snag 2 or 3 Americans on top of Garland to ease the transition
Is Krys better then Garland ?

If they all report where does that put Moncton ?

Old
06-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Exactly. No weakness in his two-way game and does possess goodoffensive upside. One of my sleeper picks in this draft and I thought he would go10 spots before where he went
What are the chances he plays for the Mooseheads next season?/if so what type of season can we expect as a 16 yo?

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:03 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:

Very solid , physical ,stay at home defenceman. Can be an impact player next season. Captained the U17 or U18s too.

Good move on Moncton. Easier to sway some American kids when there potentially 6 or 7 on the team. I know Flynn spend all last week in the states, probably taking to these kids and their families.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:03 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
He's not flashy and cute, it's rare that the Lions have or even produce this type of player, Founier and Watt are similar.

He doesn't get much love cause the Lions usually have a star or 3..

Old
06-08-2013, 05:05 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:

He plays defence and is very talented.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:

Lets put it this way, if Krys was Canadian he'd probably be a lock for #1 in the Q draft already

Old
06-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Trying to peg the early "draft winner" and I'm torn between a few teams right now. Someone between:
Saint John
Charlottetown
Quebec (if the both Hanifin and Booth report they're the clear cut winners)
Rimouski

I had another team in mind but forgot them

Old
06-08-2013, 05:20 PM
hab 4ever

Best move in the draft?

I say Tourigny's parting gift to Rouyn, trading down 8 spots in the first round while picking up Cape Breton's first round pick in 2014!! Wow! CB should make the playoffs but that could very well end up being top-5 overall!!

Old
06-08-2013, 05:20 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Lets put it this way, if Krys was Canadian he'd probably be a lock for #1 in the Q draft already
That's the story with most of them.

Old
06-08-2013, 05:43 PM
VanNistelrooy

Quote:
Rimouski
What makes you think Rimouski is a winner?

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Best move in the draft?

I say Tourigny's parting gift to Rouyn, trading down 8 spots in the first round while picking up Cape Breton's first round pick in 2014!! Wow! CB should make the playoffs but that could very well end up being top-5 overall!!
They don't care lol they got a top 5 quality player & they'll get a top 5 pick as compensation for Nicolas Roy not reporting

Old
06-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
What makes you think Rimouski is a winner?
I just like the picks they made. Guys like J-M Leblanc and Picco being picked where they were could be steals. They picked a duo of solid '97 D-men earlier with Drapeau & Bourque. Poulin will make the team out of camp on fwd and Olivier Tremblay is small but one of the better goalies in the draft - definitely outplayed Keven Bouchard this year

Edit: Also they picked Ted Donato's son, automatic win (He'll never come to the Q lol)

Old
06-08-2013, 05:59 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Trying to peg the early "draft winner" and I'm torn between a few teams right now. Someone between:
Saint John
Charlottetown
Quebec (if the both Hanifin and Booth report they're the clear cut winners)
Rimouski

I had another team in mind but forgot them
Why do you say SJ and Charlottetown ?

Old
06-08-2013, 06:22 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
They don't care lol they got a top 5 quality player & they'll get a top 5 pick as compensation for Nicolas Roy not reporting
They will only get a top-5 pick if they don't trade Roy and he re-enters. And regardless of compensation pick, they traded a lot of value for Bell, regardless of how high Iam on him. Not the best asset management...

Old
06-08-2013, 06:25 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
I just like the picks they made. Guys like J-M Leblanc and Picco being picked where they were could be steals. They picked a duo of solid '97 D-men earlier with Drapeau & Bourque. Poulin will make the team out of camp on fwd and Olivier Tremblay is small but one of the better goalies in the draft - definitely outplayed Keven Bouchard this year

Edit: Also they picked Ted Donato's son, automatic win (He'll never come to the Q lol)
I am still high on Bouchard. Tremblay outplayed him beore Christmas but Bouchard stepped up in the second half + playoffs.

Old
06-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Why do you say SJ and Charlottetown ?
Saint John got Noel at 3 and I saw him as #1 so that's a quick win. Will Thompson is a good pick. You don't know who he is based off what you said earlier but Joey Richard is a going to be a really good pickup. Looks like a man against infants in the playoffs - couldn't decide whether I should laugh cry or sit silently... I chose sit silently but laughed a lot inside Thomas Chabot isn't bad either.

They just really didn't waste any picks imo

Charlottetown got Daniel Sprong at 13.... I was never high on Sprong but I know he's waaaaaaaaay better than 13. Layton Parsons in the 8th round could be quality. He was buried on Halifax this season and will likely be better than an 8th rounder. I really liked the Duncan McKie pick as well. But Sprong at 13 is an automatic win lol

Old
06-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
They will only get a top-5 pick if they don't trade Roy and he re-enters. And regardless of compensation pick, they traded a lot of value for Bell, regardless of how high Iam on him. Not the best asset management...
Either your confused or reporters & I am confused.

Best English article I could find was CB Post (Obviously I guess but sadly I didn't look their first )

Quote:
If Roy doesn’t report, the Screaming Eagles would receive the No. 5 overall pick in the 2014 draft as compensation. If they trade him between Sept. 5-15, 2013, Cape Breton would still receive next year’s No. 5 pick, as well as the last pick of the second round in 2014, along with whatever assets they would acquire in a trade.

Old
06-08-2013, 06:54 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Saint John got Noel at 3 and I saw him as #1 so that's a quick win. Will Thompson is a good pick. You don't know who he is based off what you said earlier but Joey Richard is a going to be a really good pickup. Looks like a man against infants in the playoffs - couldn't decide whether I should laugh cry or sit silently... I chose sit silently but laughed a lot inside Thomas Chabot isn't bad either.

They just really didn't waste any picks imo

Charlottetown got Daniel Sprong at 13.... I was never high on Sprong but I know he's waaaaaaaaay better than 13. Layton Parsons in the 8th round could be quality. He was buried on Halifax this season and will likely be better than an 8th rounder. I really liked the Duncan McKie pick as well. But Sprong at 13 is an automatic win lol
I'm not a fan of all the picks. Hopefully we can convince Eichel to report.

Old
06-08-2013, 07:09 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Either your confused or reporters & I am confused.

Best English article I could find was CB Post (Obviously I guess but sadly I didn't look their first )
I guess I was confused by the Sept 5-15 window which allows them to keep both compensation picks, I thought it was either no. 5 sans trade OR trade assets + last pick of the second round. Looks like they will make that trade in early September...

Old
06-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
I guess I was confused by the Sept 5-15 window which allows them to keep both compensation picks, I thought it was either no. 5 sans trade OR trade assets + last pick of the second round. Looks like they will make that trade in early September...
Ye it's an odd and slightly confusing situation and honestly when you said that I thought "Shirt.... I must have misunderstood" but then I checked a couple articles and they said what the CB post article says.

It's too bad for CB fans to be honest. This day could have had a lot of CB fans thinking "oh wow we got this QMJHL franchise player #1 overall and things are looking up" but instead now they're met with "Oh great we got another french kid who doesn't want to play in our Anglo city" which will be 4 months of bitterness. Definitely won't help season ticket sales the way a #1 overall pick should.