2013 Draft Thread

Old
06-08-2013, 08:19 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Ye it's an odd and slightly confusing situation and honestly when you said that I thought "Shirt.... I must have misunderstood" but then I checked a couple articles and they said what the CB post article says.

It's too bad for CB fans to be honest. This day could have had a lot of CB fans thinking "oh wow we got this QMJHL franchise player #1 overall and things are looking up" but instead now they're met with "Oh great we got another french kid who doesn't want to play in our Anglo city" which will be 4 months of bitterness. Definitely won't help season ticket sales the way a #1 overall pick should.
It sucks but that's life.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 08:28 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
It sucks but that's life.
It's a completely avoidable situation.

A- Kid doesn't Lindros the league
B- Draft the "next" player
C- Trade down
D- Any of the above (had to have 4)

The more I think about it the more I think this is a calculated evil genius move by M-A Dumont to get a ton via trade on top of the 5th & 38th overall pick as compensation. It's just so mean to that CB fanbase that needs something to point to as a positive right now (there are plenty there but the fans have been dicked around so much, one peak at that qmjhl proboards and you can see the cynics have risen )

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 08:39 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:

C- Trade down

The more I think about it the more I think this is a calculated evil genius move by M-A Dumont to get a ton via trade on top of the 5th & 38th overall pick as compensation. It's just so mean to that CB fanbase that needs something to point to as a positive right now (there are plenty there but the fans have been dicked around so much, one peak at that qmjhl proboards and you can see the cynics have risen )
A big guy like Roy could fetch a lot and a lot of teams were high on him. Someone will pay up for him.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:39 PM
welcometothebigshow2

Yes, a very smart move on behalf of Dumont. Say if he could land Perron, and a young defenseman like White from Rouyn, in a package for Roy, which would obviously include picks, he could make a fool out of the league. This rule honestly shouldn't be in effect, IMO it should be one or the other.

welcometothebigshow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 08:45 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcometothebigshow2 View Post
Yes, a very smart move on behalf of Dumont. Say if he could land Perron, and a young defenseman like White from Rouyn, in a package for Roy, which would obviously include picks, he could make a fool out of the league. This rule honestly shouldn't be in effect, IMO it should be one or the other.
The OHL makes a mockery out of that rule all the time.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:49 PM
welcometothebigshow2

Quote:
The OHL makes a mockery out of that rule all the time.
Very true, but in reality it just isn't very fair.

welcometothebigshow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 09:11 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
I agree 100%.

Old
06-08-2013, 09:44 PM
tez

vCash: 614
Quote:

C- Trade down

It definitely is frustrating. It's been a while since we've had something to cheer for, and a lot of people will immediately look at this and see another failure, but I for one am really happy with todays results.

Firstly, I'm glad we didn't let Roy dictate who is going to take him. I understand the situation for him, but you should be proud to go and play with the team who drafts you, especially at first overall. Secondly, assuming MA Dumont trades him during that Sept 5 window, we'll get a good deal for him + the 5th overall and 2nd round pick.

That, at the very least, is something to look forward to. At least we got Jason Bell.

As far as the rule itself, I totally agree that it's a joke of a rule that you can keep the compensation picks AND trade the player if it's in that window, but I'm not complaining if it's CBSE taking advantage of it this year.

tez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 10:06 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
I guess everyone in this situation can justifiably say that the situation isn't fair.

It isn't fair that CB dealt with a ton of injuries (their entire first line for a stint) and finished dead last but wasn't able to reap the benefit of such a miserable season (who they consider the #1 overall pick, which in a league with a draft, it's their right to get their #1 overall pick)

It isn't fair to Nicolas Roy because he wants to play in the QMJHL but he might not get to or miss a training camp because he likely won't be traded until Sept 5-15th window.

It isn't fair to anyone who finished 5th last next season because they'll pick 6th or anyone behind them who's draft pick drops back 1 spot

damn I thought I hit submit reply on this earlier.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:10 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysmo View Post
It definitely is frustrating. It's been a while since we've had something to cheer for, and a lot of people will immediately look at this and see another failure, but I for one am really happy with todays results.

Firstly, I'm glad we didn't let Roy dictate who is going to take him. I understand the situation for him, but you should be proud to go and play with the team who drafts you, especially at first overall. Secondly, assuming MA Dumont trades him during that Sept 5 window, we'll get a good deal for him + the 5th overall and 2nd round pick.

That, at the very least, is something to look forward to. At least we got Jason Bell.

As far as the rule itself, I totally agree that it's a joke of a rule that you can keep the compensation picks AND trade the player if it's in that window, but I'm not complaining if it's CBSE taking advantage of it this year.
Well if Dumont does get that #5 (which it looks like he will. It'd be a PR nightmare to have a kid who openly wouldn't report to all of a sudden show up lol) he immediately gets himself in the running for Mitchell Balmas, a Sydney native who looks like an early favorite for a top 5 position if he keeps paying his dues and doesn't become yet another Nova Scotian/Maritimer who gets a big head too quick and all of a sudden vanishes (Luc Dechesnes? Steven Anthony? among many others)

That's the part that intrigues me the most

Old
06-09-2013, 12:26 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
I'm not a fan of all the picks. Hopefully we can convince Eichel to report.
It might not be that hard to convince him, but the price will be steep... Seadogs would have to pay his scholarship at the USNDT which is ridiculous pricey, over 50k I hear.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:35 AM
TA1 Sports
@TA_Stephenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
It might not be that hard to convince him, but the price will be steep... Seadogs would have to pay his scholarship at the USNDT which is ridiculous pricey, over 50k I hear.
You think the Mooseheads wouldn't have tried the same avenue? The kid clearly has his prerogative. I don't see this as an issue of convincing, as much as timing.

From what I've read, he clearly wouldn't commit to coming to the Q this coming season, and Cam Russell couldn't get a firm commit out of him for 2014/2015, and that was when the decision was made to release his rights.

I don't fault SJ for using a 10th on him, well worth the low risk, maybe next season he does come, but it's pretty evident that he isn't willing to say that he will at this point.

TA1 Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:50 AM
MTLScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Can you elaborate on Fortier? I'm curious to what type of game he plays as I know nothing about him.

I also took note of what you were saying being one of the youngest players in the draft. His stats are pretty impressive for being one of the youngest players in the league.
One of the fastest players in the draft; extremely explosive. Can burn d's at will in AAA. We'll see how he fares in the big leagues.

MTLScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 02:34 AM
Raimu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Halifax having their second awful draft in a row.
Well last year it was because they had no picks.

Obviously according to Halifax's list these guys are are worth the picks they're using on them, only time will tell if this draft is good for them or not.

Last year in the first 6 rounds we only had 3 picks.. The Eichel pick was a bit of a waste, but Courville and Alcalde will both play on this team next year.. so we did manage roster players out of our picks.

Raimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 02:48 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
It will take more then that.

Old
06-09-2013, 02:53 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Went over my predictions for this year's draft for the Phoenix, looks like I was pretty bang on.

Predicted that the Phoenix would pick the BPA at #4 and then would aim LW as it is a weakness on the team.

I also had a gut feeling Fontaine would be our pick in the 2nd round.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:17 AM
ClemQ

Quote:

C- Trade down

You sound surprised!!! I think if you go back to last week, i had said this would happen and i had told you it wasnt as hard to do as you made it out to be.

ClemQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:04 AM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
You sound surprised!!! I think if you go back to last week, i had said this would happen and i had told you it wasnt as hard to do as you made it out to be.
It's still not as simple as you make it out to be and an unnecessary headache for that fanbase what if he gets to that trade window (Sept. 5-15) and nobody wants to do the trade because they know CB will get extra compensation on top of the trade? Or what is Nicolas Roy shows up for a week and then leaves (which was done two or three times last season for CB lmao) and demands a trade. There's still a huge risk involved which is what I kept saying before

Old
06-09-2013, 09:22 AM
localfan

Here's a kind off topic question for those in the know...

When do teams start to make any phone calls looking for players as a "walk-on" tryout? They might have their eye on players, but didn't have enough draft picks to use on them but they are interested in their play...

localfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:30 AM
ClemQ

Quote:
It's still not as simple as you make it out to be and an unnecessary headache for that fanbase what if he gets to that trade window (Sept. 5-15) and nobody wants to do the trade because they know CB will get extra compensation on top of the trade? Or what is Nicolas Roy shows up for a week and then leaves (which was done two or three times last season for CB lmao) and demands a trade. There's still a huge risk involved which is what I kept saying before
Il bet whatever you want to bet that wont happen. There are a few things you dont understand.

1. The league wants/needs Roy in the league.
2. The player has publicly stated he wants to play in the league.
3. This is not a Mac situation - this player wants to finish his school in quebec. He would not report in halifax or Moncton either.

I guarantee you the team does not care about the compensation picks. If they keep him until sept to get the picks, then they cant trade him until xmas. And i thought they only get the picks if they relinquish the players rights??

Old
06-09-2013, 09:31 AM
ClemQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by localfan View Post
Here's a kind off topic question for those in the know...

When do teams start to make any phone calls looking for players as a "walk-on" tryout? They might have their eye on players, but didn't have enough draft picks to use on them but they are interested in their play...
Last night about 445 (when the draft finished) !!

Old
06-09-2013, 09:37 AM
localfan

oh, I see.

Thank you.

localfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Hockey Buff

Quote:
Not this much

^^ see

He is sliding because of his give a **** factor though. Everyone figured that but I assumed a team would take a chance in the first round seeing as how many teams had 3 picks lol

Moncton @ 44 maybe? Nope
Should I trademark that....

Hockey Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Hockey Buff

Quote:
Maybe he'll report.
Not a chance.

Old
06-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Hockey Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Can you elaborate on Fortier? I'm curious to what type of game he plays as I know nothing about him.

I also took note of what you were saying being one of the youngest players in the draft. His stats are pretty impressive for being one of the youngest players in the league.
His biggest asset is his speed.