HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Motzko leaving Minnesota for SCSU?

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Motzko leaving Minnesota for SCSU?

In today's Star-Tribune, Sid Hartman made some mention that Gophers assistant, Bob Motzko would be taking over the head coaching duties at SCSU. According to Hartman's article, he mentioned that long time Huskies coach Craig Dahl will likely be retiring, with Motzko likely succeeding him. I know that Motzko is one of the nation's top recruiters, helping to bring Thomas Vanek (among many others) to the "U". He's also SCSU alum and previous served as an assistant coach there.

Anyone think that this could be a reality or is Hartman off his rocker? If indeed it does happen, who do you see as possibly succeeding Motzko at the "U"?

Old
05-26-2005, 06:14 PM
kalehr

This has been rumored for a long time, it is highly likely that Motzko will be leaving Minnesota for SCSU for a number of reasons, including the fact that SCSU is Motzko's alma mater. Who knows who will replace him @ the U. Speculation has included Hill @ UAA, Tom Ward @ Shattuck, and a few others. It will be very interesting to see who Lucia brings in, as Motzko will be a huge loss on the recruiting side of things.

Old
05-26-2005, 08:19 PM
PuckFan01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalehr
It will be very interesting to see who Lucia brings in, as Motzko will be a huge loss on the recruiting side of things.
The advantages offered by major programs means replacing a recruiting coordinator is not as big of an issue as it would be at a smaller program. Minnesota, Michigan, and BC (and a few other programs) really wouldn't miss much of a beat when an assistant goes elsewhere. No disrespect meant to him but Motzko won't be any different in that regard.

Old
05-27-2005, 08:52 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Due ****** to his recruiting at Minnesota, but he's going to have a harder time of it at the Cloud. Getting into the Tourney is going to be a challenge in the WCHA. Excelent hire by SCSU!

A girl I work with is from there she should be stoked. Surprised we haven't seen Rabid Husky here dancing a jig.

Old
05-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Schlep Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Due ****** to his recruiting at Minnesota, but he's going to have a harder time of it at the Cloud. Getting into the Tourney is going to be a challenge in the WCHA. Excelent hire by SCSU!

A girl I work with is from there she should be stoked. Surprised we haven't seen Rabid Husky here dancing a jig.
First, he hasn't been hired... it's simply a rumor that's been floating around for months.

Second, yes the WCHA is the best league but remember, St. Cloud won the WCHA back in 01-02 and went to the NCAA tournament from the 99-00 season through the 02-03 season.

WCHA is good but Denver won't win every year and good recruiting will go a long way into determining who can win the WCHA. Recruiting is something Motzo can certainly bring to the table. Harbinson has done a good job to date but having a strong 1-2 punch dealing with recruits will help even more.

Old
05-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

I know. Denver didn't win the WCHA two years ago.

Last edited by Hasbro: 05-27-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old
05-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Quote:
Surprised we haven't seen Rabid Husky here dancing a jig.

You know me well

He hasn't been hired as anything yet, he just put his name in to be the new assistant replacing Brad Wilner. He is a finalist along with Richie Larson, Scott Meyer and Eric Rud.
Larson and Meyer are former Husky players who just completed their first seasons as assistants in the USHL and Rud was an assistant in CC. Motzko is the best qulified but there are some issue first of which is money. He'd be taking a possible pay cut of 50% to come back to his alma mater and there is no guarantee that he would be hired as the head coach when Dahl is ultimately canned or quits (either of which will hopefully be after or during this season, looking at the Huskies schedule, it is very possible they could start 2-10) because they have to do the whole open search thing. But he should be the one hired and he should be the next head coach at SCSU.

Old
05-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky
You know me well

He hasn't been hired as anything yet, he just put his name in to be the new assistant replacing Brad Wilner. He is a finalist along with Richie Larson, Scott Meyer and Eric Rud.
Larson and Meyer are former Husky players who just completed their first seasons as assistants in the USHL and Rud was an assistant in CC. Motzko is the best qulified but there are some issue first of which is money. He'd be taking a possible pay cut of 50% to come back to his alma mater and there is no guarantee that he would be hired as the head coach when Dahl is ultimately canned or quits (either of which will hopefully be after or during this season, looking at the Huskies schedule, it is very possible they could start 2-10) because they have to do the whole open search thing. But he should be the one hired and he should be the next head coach at SCSU.
Rabid: Maybe I'm reading into it incorrectly, but Hartman's article seems to be implying that coach Dahl maybe leaving very soon....like within the next few weeks.

Old
05-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Rabid: Maybe I'm reading into it incorrectly, but Hartman's article seems to be implying that coach Dahl maybe leaving very soon....like within the next few weeks.
Hunting accident?

Old
05-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Rabid Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick

One thing you have to know abouit Hartman.....he's kind of a figure head here and yes he gets info but he's usually wrong. Dahl will be the head coach at least to start the season and article in the local paper in cloud say he's not retiring anytime soon. But he does have "academic and comeptative standards" set down by the AD for this season and if he doesn't meet them he'll probably be fired. My guess is the competative standards mean top five finish or at least a Final Five appearence or an NCAA birth. And i don't think any of them are likely with next years team, so its probably a good bet that this is Dahl's last year

Old
05-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Greyeagle

Quote:
One thing you have to know abouit Hartman.....he's kind of a figure head here and yes he gets info but he's usually wrong. Dahl will be the head coach at least to start the season and article in the local paper in cloud say he's not retiring anytime soon. But he does have "academic and comeptative standards" set down by the AD for this season and if he doesn't meet them he'll probably be fired. My guess is the competative standards mean top five finish or at least a Final Five appearence or an NCAA birth. And i don't think any of them are likely with next years team, so its probably a good bet that this is Dahl's last year

Rabid - I assume if/when Dahl leaves the head coaching job at SCSU there would need to be some sort of an open process or search committee to hire a new coach. Would hiring an existing asst. coach (read: Motzko) allow SCSU to circumvent this process and get their man?

Old
05-28-2005, 01:50 PM
kalehr

SCSU is a public school, so they have the option of hiring internally before opening it up to external applicants. So technically Dahl could retire and the school could interview Motzko and give him the job before they would have to open up the job search to include anybody outside SCSU.

Old
05-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Rabid Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyeagle
Rabid - I assume if/when Dahl leaves the head coaching job at SCSU there would need to be some sort of an open process or search committee to hire a new coach. Would hiring an existing asst. coach (read: Motzko) allow SCSU to circumvent this process and get their man?
No, they can't ever come out and say Motzko is their man until he actually gets hired. They have to do one of the open searches even though almost everyone knows that Motz would get the job. Think NFL and the hiring of coaches, same type of thing, everyone knows who will get it but they have to look at everyone in order to say they did.

Old
05-31-2005, 02:55 PM
Greyeagle

It's a done deal, Bob Motzko is the new asst. coach and (probably future head coach) at SCSU. Good luck Bob and thanks for everything you did at MN!
http://miva.sctimes.com/miva/cgi-bin...20050531152607

Last edited by Greyeagle: 05-31-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old
05-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Rabid Husky

Shame he couldn't just be our head coach now...but i do wonder this....

Motzko now comes in and it is pretty much known that he will be the head man in 1-2 years. Is it possible that he starts trying to phase in his systems now so that the players have an easier transition from him as assistant to him as coach? I would think that would be the smart thing to do, start adding some things his way (power plays and breakouts come to mind) so that when the full change is made, the players are ready. I sure hope that happens and that Dahl's ego deflates enough to allow it to happen

Old
06-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Greyeagle

Rumor has it John Hill may be inclined to leave the UAA job to return to MN....as an assistant. Stay tuned.......

Last edited by Greyeagle: 06-01-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old
06-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Rumor has it John Hill may be inclined to leave the UAA job to return to MN....as an assitant. Stay tuned.......
Be a shame I thought he did a good job with UAA this year considering all the crap.

Of course, his whine about Carle going to DU came off as grating

Old
06-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Rabid Husky

Quote:
Rumor has it John Hill may be inclined to leave the UAA job to return to MN....as an assitant. Stay tuned.......

He's been through a lot of crap up there at UAA so it wouldn't be that surprising if he took the job, he just may want a change of scenery and get the hell out of Alaska.

Old
06-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's been through a lot of crap up there at UAA so it wouldn't be that surprising if he took the job, he just may want a change of scenery and get the hell out of Alaska.
Yeah it is a tough job. Recruiting gets a whole lot easier with the Gophers

Old
06-02-2005, 06:25 AM
Rabid Husky

Quote:
Yeah it is a tough job. Recruiting gets a whole lot easier with the Gophers

Its not just recruiting, there was the 1 win season and then last off-seaason with the fight and the ultimate dismisal of Arcand-Kootney, he deserves a break

Old
06-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Greyeagle

A note in Charley Walters' column (St. Paul Pioneer Press) today anticipating an annoucemnt soon naming Hill as the new asst. coach for MN.

Closed Thread