HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Mike Ribeiro

View Poll Results: Ribeiro
Sign him 69 55.65%
Trade him 55 44.35%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2013, 10:06 AM
  #1
Bananas
****
 
Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Mike Ribeiro

Just so we're all on record, would you keep Ribeiro if he agrees to a 3-4 year market value contract or would you trade him for assets?

Obviously, no one wants him to play out the string and walk for nothing, so I'm just allowing two options.

It's a tough one...but I say trade him.


Last edited by ChibiPooky: 07-03-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:09 AM
  #2
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,206
vCash: 500
I also say trade him. He will fetch a nice return and he is not the long-term answer.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
  #3
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,037
vCash: 50
Trade. His market value salary severely handicaps the team next year. After that, they could afford him again, but two years down the road is entering questionable territory as far as his ability to maintain his play.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:16 AM
  #4
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,086
vCash: 500
Based on his ever increasing value and our ever increasing need to rebuild it should be obvious that we should trade him.

The market is hot due to a couple injuries/signings that moved Ribeiro up the charts. His expiring contract would be mouth watering for a contender that would have cap issues going forward picking up a similar player on a deal with more term.

Also I have less and less faith he would want to resign with us anyhow.

Its the right thing to do since the playoffs look so far out of reach now.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:24 AM
  #5
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,816
vCash: 500
i say keep him. best case scenario mcphee hits like he did on robert lang. a late first which was effectively schultz and a prospect, fleischmann. neither of those players brought impact to the roster for 3 years or 4.

if the caps are going to sit for 3 years waiting on rebuilding pieces to develope, i would suggest more than ribeiro and expiring contracts need to be moved. if ovechkin and backstrom are to be kept and paid, then retool rather than rebuild is the direction.

if retool is the project, the trading ribeiro means the need to replace him. who can be gotten for the same or less than the assets acquired for ribeiro will be as good or better than ribeiro?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:31 AM
  #6
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i say keep him. best case scenario mcphee hits like he did on robert lang. a late first which was effectively schultz and a prospect, fleischmann. neither of those players brought impact to the roster for 3 years or 4.

if the caps are going to sit for 3 years waiting on rebuilding pieces to develope, i would suggest more than ribeiro and expiring contracts need to be moved. if ovechkin and backstrom are to be kept and paid, then retool rather than rebuild is the direction.

if retool is the project, the trading ribeiro means the need to replace him. who can be gotten for the same or less than the assets acquired for ribeiro will be as good or better than ribeiro?
We can draft a replacement in the top 5. Seeing how we'll be in a much tougher division starting next year, we're not going to make the playoffs anyways... We can use a few years to wait for one to develop.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:32 AM
  #7
Chukcha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: mongolian steppes
Country: Mongolia
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
sign at any price
he is our PP dynamo and an "eternal 2C problem" solution.

Chukcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:44 AM
  #8
Ovechkins Wodka
Registered User
 
Ovechkins Wodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
trade is hes not resigned

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:45 AM
  #9
InfernalDark
Blooddrunk
 
InfernalDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hellsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 583
vCash: 50
I'd keep him too.

InfernalDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:34 AM
  #10
sycamore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
We can draft a replacement in the top 5. Seeing how we'll be in a much tougher division starting next year, we're not going to make the playoffs anyways... We can use a few years to wait for one to develop.
And at the age of 33, we should see Ribeiro on the decline in a couple of years anyway.
There really isn't much argument here: trade him.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:49 AM
  #11
AlexBrovechkin8
Registered User
 
AlexBrovechkin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Old Town, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
At this point, I have no faith that we'll make the right decision. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that whatever they decision they make I'll feel they made the wrong one.

But I think he should be traded. 3 years from now should be our window anyway. Wilson, Forsberg, and Kuz will be here, Orlov, Alzner, Carlson, MoJo should all be at their peak, Holtby will hopefully be our veteran netminder; a man can dream, right?

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
  #12
sycamore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
At this point, I have no faith that we'll make the right decision. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that whatever they decision they make I'll feel they made the wrong one.

But I think he should be traded. 3 years from now should be our window anyway. Wilson, Forsberg, and Kuz will be here, Orlov, Alzner, Carlson, MoJo should all be at their peak, Holtby will hopefully be our veteran netminder; a man can dream, right?
+ our top five pick this upcoming draft (a Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov or Lindholm, most likely)

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:56 AM
  #13
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
We can draft a replacement in the top 5. Seeing how we'll be in a much tougher division starting next year, we're not going to make the playoffs anyways... We can use a few years to wait for one to develop.
thats pretty presumsumptive. players as good as mike ribeiro dont grow on trees. players that fit your personel and overperform their numbers as a result are rarer.

how many years will this draft pick take to become a fully developed 1-2c with enough experience to be a playoff performer? my guess is that he will be a rookie at 20 or 21 and will need 3 nhl seasons to be a complete player to the level that ribeiro is now

its a pipe dream to think that the caps will get an eric staal level center with a top 5 pick that will, poof, replace ribeiro. right now....today...ryan nugent-hopkins isnt as good as mike ribeiro

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:59 AM
  #14
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:
 
blokeyhighlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,037
vCash: 500
Trade him now to a fringe team for a first and hope that team falls out of the playoff picture.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:00 PM
  #15
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,389
vCash: 500
If Ribeiro keeps driving his salary skyward, I'd rather sell him now and make a move for someone like Briere or Thornton.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:06 PM
  #16
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,696
vCash: 500
I don't think he'll sign before the offseason for anything that's not absurd, so I'd trade him.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:08 PM
  #17
Ovechkins Wodka
Registered User
 
Ovechkins Wodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
more rumors of leafs interest. That could be a nice 1st rounder

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:08 PM
  #18
Liberati0n
Full Hammock
 
Liberati0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,015
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I don't think he'll sign before the offseason for anything that's not absurd, so I'd trade him.
Yeah, this.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:09 PM
  #19
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
At this point, I have no faith that we'll make the right decision. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that whatever they decision they make I'll feel they made the wrong one.

But I think he should be traded. 3 years from now should be our window anyway. Wilson, Forsberg, and Kuz will be here, Orlov, Alzner, Carlson, MoJo should all be at their peak, Holtby will hopefully be our veteran netminder; a man can dream, right?
I wouldn't call it a dream as that is a very realistic situation.

I'd bet that one of Grubauer or Neuvirth will excel to compete with Holtby as well.

In light of that Ribeiro will certainly be past his prime by then and would be a drag on our cap flexibility.

He is having an abberation of a year (his best production pace in his career at 33 years old) and his value is sky high due to the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
more rumors of leafs interest. That could be a nice 1st rounder
I guarantee you that if we trade Ribeiro that what you say would be the starting point of what we'd get back. He's worth even more than Lang was due to his contract situation and the cap going down next year. He is low hanging fruit for us to trade.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:14 PM
  #20
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
thats pretty presumsumptive. players as good as mike ribeiro dont grow on trees. players that fit your personel and overperform their numbers as a result are rarer.

how many years will this draft pick take to become a fully developed 1-2c with enough experience to be a playoff performer? my guess is that he will be a rookie at 20 or 21 and will need 3 nhl seasons to be a complete player to the level that ribeiro is now

its a pipe dream to think that the caps will get an eric staal level center with a top 5 pick that will, poof, replace ribeiro. right now....today...ryan nugent-hopkins isnt as good as mike ribeiro
Carlson was a late 1st rounder that made a rather quick impact.

The kid Brodin from Minnesota looks dang fine too.

And those are Dmen!

As a forward its much easier to step into the league and make a team than it is being a dman or goalie thats for sure and there are plenty of example of it too. Its not unreasonable to expect that at worst a top 5 pick can come in his 1st or 2nd year and make an impact.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:16 PM
  #21
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
thats pretty presumsumptive. players as good as mike ribeiro dont grow on trees. players that fit your personel and overperform their numbers as a result are rarer.

how many years will this draft pick take to become a fully developed 1-2c with enough experience to be a playoff performer? my guess is that he will be a rookie at 20 or 21 and will need 3 nhl seasons to be a complete player to the level that ribeiro is now

its a pipe dream to think that the caps will get an eric staal level center with a top 5 pick that will, poof, replace ribeiro. right now....today...ryan nugent-hopkins isnt as good as mike ribeiro
Call me crazy, but I think MoJo will be that guy.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:17 PM
  #22
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,037
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Call me crazy, but I think MoJo will be that guy.
He could. Seeing that his play early this season was due to trying to play through a concussion reassures me about his talent and hockey ability. The concern has shifted to injuries and his concussion history.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:21 PM
  #23
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,501
vCash: 500
Mojo has looked good since coming back. He's still young though.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:21 PM
  #24
SDBondra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Trade him. I'm bored of watching this team try and play actual hockey. I'd rather watch GMGM play fantasy hockey for a while.

SDBondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:21 PM
  #25
Roughing
Registered User
 
Roughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Trade. And then sign as FA after the season.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.