HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: Ottawa CFL Team offically named RedBlacks

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 02:53 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
Are you for real?

From a sports perspective (and that is the only perspective of value on a sports forum like this), Ottawa is horrible compared to all 6 of the other big Canadian cities. BY FAR the worst.

No second pro team, a venue in the middle of nowhere, no live spectator summer sports. Are you kidding me.

Terrible haha.

That being said, ask me in a year and I'll of course have a different opinion.

But yah if you don't think Ottawa is boring compared to the others, you need
I thought we were comparing livability. If it is sport team support, Ottawa is near the bottom.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE RETURN OF FOOTBALL TO OTTAWA.

Will likely drive there, with a few friends, to watch the Ticats play.

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan*: 06-13-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old
06-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I thought we were comparing livability. If it is sports team support, Ottawa is near the bottom.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE RETURN OF FOOTBALL TO OTTAWA.

Will likely drive there, with a few friends, to watch the Ticats play.

my plan as well.. the stadium design looks pretty nice. cant wait to see Ottawa back in the league

go Cats

Old
06-13-2013, 03:24 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

If we could just get a 10th team down east, life would be perfect in the CFL.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:32 PM
David_99

Quote:

You should try to make it down for a Touchdown Atlantic sometime

Old
06-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:

any chance they put another team in BC? they're without a date now for labour day classics..

Old
06-13-2013, 04:55 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
any chance they put another team in BC? they're without a date now for labour day classics..
Not a B.C. "Lions" fan. Name is sooooo dull. So happy Ottawa is back.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Not a B.C. "Lions" fan.
oh I know.. you're a GreenRider's fan

Old
06-13-2013, 05:03 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
oh I know.. you're a GreenRider's fan
Use to be... not anymore.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Brodie
voted best

the Lions name is great, so long as you get that they're named after a prominent feature of the local geography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lions_(peaks)

Old
06-13-2013, 05:19 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
the Lions name is great, so long as you get that they're named after a prominent feature of the local geography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lions_(peaks)

Did not know that. Pretty pic. Lousy name.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Did not know that. Pretty pic. Lousy name.
Im looking at the Lions right now. Out my open windows. Different angle than that photo but there they be. We have large predatory cats out here as your aware, Cougars, who once they reach the age of 45 are then called Panthers, Housewives of Vancouver types. Lots of em. Great name for a football team... a lot better than just going to the pub & picking up a pizza, deciding what you want on it Kevy.

Lots more fun.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Evil Doctor
Cryin' Hank crying

Found this...

The List: Completely reasonable requests made by the Ottawa REDBLACKS

My favourite among them...

Quote:
8. If you accidentally type "Redblacks" instead of "REDBLACKS" outside of the purposes of example, please instruct everyone to leave the building you are in, burn it to the ground, and then chop your arms off and jump off a cliff.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
hahah #9

Old
06-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
My favourite among them...
Ya, #8. Sort of like this...

Old
06-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Pilky01

The all caps thing....it is just so stupid, they must have done it for an 'Amy press is good press' kind of approach.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:50 PM
DyerMaker66*

vCash: 547
Quote:
Are you for real?

From a sports perspective (and that is the only perspective of value on a sports forum like this), Ottawa is horrible compared to all 6 of the other big Canadian cities. BY FAR the worst.

No second pro team, a venue in the middle of nowhere, no live spectator summer sports. Are you kidding me.

Terrible haha.

That being said, ask me in a year and I'll of course have a different opinion.

But yah if you don't think Ottawa is boring compared to the others, you need
You have an NHL team, an OHL team, and have soccer and football teams on the way.

That is 100 per cent false, and is mostly of the basis of my opinion: The beauty of Ottawa has very little to do with Sports, they're merely icing on the cake.

Old
06-14-2013, 06:43 AM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
You have an NHL team, an OHL team, and have soccer and football teams on the way.

That is 100 per cent false, and is mostly of the basis of my opinion: The beauty of Ottawa has very little to do with Sports, they're merely icing on the cake.
Even with those things, Ottawa still lags behind Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto.

And they're not here yet. If you'd actually read my post, you'd see I said it was boring today. So yah it's not 100% false that you literally cannot walk out into a summer's afternoon in Ottawa and watch an entertaining live game of anything played professionally. That is scientifically not 100% false actually.

And the beauty thing is 100% subjective. I think Ottawa is pretty dirty and lack lustre to be honest. Absolutely no imagination in architecture outside parliament hill area.

When you start getting into real, quantitative stats (i.e. number of pro sports teams, number of events per year, number of venues for performances/activities), you start to see Ottawa just completely fall off the radar.

Even Astana, capital of Kazakhstan, has a better stadium than us.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:21 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
Even with those things, Ottawa still lags behind Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto.
As someone that's lived in two of those three cities, your'e observation is 100% subjective (and IMO wrong), but there it is. Also...

Quote:
When you start getting into real, quantitative stats (i.e. number of pro sports teams, number of events per year, number of venues for performances/activities), you start to see Ottawa just completely fall off the radar.
Toronto - 5.5mil
Montreal - 3.8mil
Vancouver - 2.3mil

Ottawa - 1.2mil (and I was surprised it was that high)

There's less events because it's a smaller population, and you're within driving distance to a city that's over three times your size. There's less venues because there's less people, hence less venues are needed to service them. As for sport teams...well here's a comparison with cities larger, at the same size as Ottawa, and the three cities below it.

Toronto - MLB, CFL, NBA, NHL, MLS
Montreal - CFL, NHL, MLS
Vancouver - CFL, NHL, MLS
Ottawa - CFL*, NHL
Calgary - CFL, NHL
Edmonton - CFL, NHL
Quebec City - None
Winnipeg - CFL, NHL
Hamilton - CFL

* - start playing next year

Less representation then other cities at the same population level? You did have yes. Completely off the radar? ********.

Quote:
So yah it's not 100% false that you literally cannot walk out into a summer's afternoon in Ottawa and watch an entertaining live game of anything played professionally.
Ottawa did have an option for quite a while. Multiple ones in fact. They all floundered. Why would folks keep throwing money into ventures that have a history of failing? Does it suck? Sure it does. But as you can see from my list above, the only three cities that have that option above Ottawa (for early summer at least) are much larger. So track record of teams failing = a market half the size? What do you think someone looking for profitable business ventures is going to do?

Quote:
I think Ottawa is pretty dirty and lack lustre to be honest. Absolutely no imagination in architecture outside parliament hill area.
You need to get out more then. Toronto is much dirtier I've found then Ottawa ever was (although some spots in Vanier might give it a run), and crops of subdivisions and condo tower cubes for miles. If your'e looking for architecture that had quality, you're too late, that was mostly torn down by the 70's. Montreal a bit better (Old Port area), but it has the same thing going on elsewhere. It's the way of the world, boring cubes with minimalist design is cheaper then building something that looks like it'll last forever.

Quote:
Bit of advice; dial back on the hyperbole. It'll help your talking points not be disregarded out of hand.

Last edited by canadiancreed: 06-14-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: creed don't know soccer.
Old
06-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Pilky01

Since when is Ottawa getting an MLS team next year?

Or are you confusing NASL with MLS? In which case, you forgot to add that Edmonton has had a team for a few years now.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:13 AM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post

Bit of advice; dial back on the hyperbole. It'll help your talking points not be disregarded out of hand.
Bit of advice; do a little research before you start getting into your argument. Ottawa won't be getting an MLS team next year. The Ottawa Fury will play in the NASL, a second tier league which is represented in Edmonton already. Not taking anything away from that as they will be professional and will play games against TFC, Vancouver Whitecaps, Montreal Impact etc... for the domestic cup, but can hardly be used as a point of professional comparison.

Also, while I agree that the future looks bright sports wise, at this exact minute, Ottawa lags behind.

That being said, I appreciate your measured counter-argument. Far far better than those above who stated without qualification that Ottawa is the best city in Canada.

Here's my very simple method of determining whether a city is the best in a country: is the city able to bid/host for the olympics or another similarly sized international event/competititon? If no, can't be considered in the running for the best from an objective standpoint. The best cities are showcase cities.

And for the record as a point of comparison; Astana IS a showcase city: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astana (comparatively speaking).

Old
06-14-2013, 10:20 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Since when is Ottawa getting an MLS team next year?

Or are you confusing NASL with MLS? In which case, you forgot to add that Edmonton has had a team for a few years now.
Well **** you're right. Sorry, I dont' follow soccer so ya, my bad. Updated.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:47 PM
DyerMaker66*

Quote:

And they're not here yet. If you'd actually read my post, you'd see I said it was boring today. So yah it's not 100% false that you literally cannot walk out into a summer's afternoon in Ottawa and watch an entertaining live game of anything played professionally. That is scientifically not 100% false actually.
Re-read what I said: I was not talking about sports.

Quote:
And the beauty thing is 100% subjective. I think Ottawa is pretty dirty and lack lustre to be honest. Absolutely no imagination in architecture outside parliament hill area.
Ottawa is dirty but it lags behind Toronto? Did someone just type that?

Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure the new Lansdowne is going to be a dump.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:52 PM
DyerMaker66*

Quote:
Bit of advice; do a little research before you start getting into your argument. Ottawa won't be getting an MLS team next year. The Ottawa Fury will play in the NASL, a second tier league which is represented in Edmonton already. Not taking anything away from that as they will be professional and will play games against TFC, Vancouver Whitecaps, Montreal Impact etc... for the domestic cup, but can hardly be used as a point of professional comparison.

Also, while I agree that the future looks bright sports wise, at this exact minute, Ottawa lags behind.

That being said, I appreciate your measured counter-argument. Far far better than those above who stated without qualification that Ottawa is the best city in Canada.

Here's my very simple method of determining whether a city is the best in a country: is the city able to bid/host for the olympics or another similarly sized international event/competititon? If no, can't be considered in the running for the best from an objective standpoint. The best cities are showcase cities.

And for the record as a point of comparison; Astana IS a showcase city: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astana (comparatively speaking).
Ottawa hosts an international event almost daily: It's called parliament.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:55 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Ottawa hosts an international event almost daily: It's called parliament.
not even close to what I meant. Try again.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Ryan34222

riping on Ottawa is not as much fun. can we do Toronto?

Closed Thread