HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Ottawa CFL Team offically named RedBlacks

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
I cringed hearing this. The explanation on Sportscentre was comical. "We wanted something unique." So you go and pick the most unoriginal and bland name imaginable? It's also not a "new word," it's the name of two colors you slammed together for some stupid reason.

I'm with an earlier posters who recommended Highlanders. Now that is a name you can get behind.

Old
06-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Puck
Ninja

Polls showed new name would be dumped on no matter what. Everyone wanted RoughRiders but Saskatchewan had veto. RedBlacks it seems was the least hated (due to colour history) not most loved.

Old
06-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Polls showed new name would be dumped on no matter what. Everyone wanted RoughRiders but Saskatchewan had veto. RedBlacks it seems was the least hated (due to colour history) not most loved.
Well, one things for sure Puck, its garnered a lot of controversy & attention, publicity, so so far, doing well for themselves huh? Im critical of it myself but you know what? If you guys in Ottawa can get behind it, appreciate it, who the heck am I or anyone else to tell you it sucks? You like it? Hey, go for it.

Old
06-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

I hate it less that I used to when the rumour first surfaced. It's a possibility it might grow on me. I give them credit for at least going outside the box and trying something different from the current trends.

Old
06-09-2013, 05:04 PM
tony d
The Future

Terrible name for sure but hopefully the team will have a lot of on field success that their name won't be a worry.

06-09-2013, 06:24 PM
saffronleaf

it's fine. honestly, what i dislike the most, is how new expansion teams are named after aggressive animals. ugh, the predators, the raptors, etc. are all so dull and lame. it might capture the imagination of 8 year old boys who are learning about the animal kingdom in grade school, but for most everyone else its just embarrassing. i'd rather have something classy.

redblacks has some potential, and at the very least it's not a damn aggressive animal or some crap.

ps -- i'm not saying all teams named after aggressive animals are bad team names. like the bruins are classy. but it's just the wave of expansion teams adopting such animals is... bleh.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:13 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Lol. No it isn't. Alot of history behind these names as well. Maybe educate yourself a little. How is the Red Sox any different?
They do have some history behind them and it's because of that history that makes them classic names. Could you imagine an expansion team calling themselves the "Knickerbockers" in today's day and age? They'd be mocked endlessly as the RedBlacks are now. If the RedBlacks name was 40-50 years old, I don't think anyone would bat an eye at it and would call it classic and be using a similar post to yours questioning someone calling the name a bit ridiculous. And just for the record, I love the Knickerbockers name.

As for my opinion on it, I actually like it. It's one of the most interesting expansion names I've seen in a long time. The only change I would have made would be calling them the "Red Blacks", but I like it. Plays to the history of Ottawa sports teams, a sense of pride. Here's hoping it works and Ottawa gets behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
it's fine. honestly, what i dislike the most, is how new expansion teams are named after aggressive animals. ugh, the predators, the raptors, etc. are all so dull and lame. it might capture the imagination of 8 year old boys who are learning about the animal kingdom in grade school, but for most everyone else its just embarrassing. i'd rather have something classy.

redblacks has some potential, and at the very least it's not a damn aggressive animal or some crap.
I absolutely agree with you.

Old
06-09-2013, 09:18 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo
The choice was more about preserving the 'R' than anything else it seems to me. The rascals in Saskatchewan won't budge on the Rough Rider name. Well we're taking our damned logo back at least.

The Roosevelt rough-rider regiment, MacGregor tartan, Liam Neeson flitting about with Tim Roth, les mauvais Anglais, Big Joe Mufferaw and his log-driving companions...all ancillary imagery with their own pluses and minuses. All that shows, as Hunt said, is that the canvas is immensely fill-able and highly adaptable in the long run
Word.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:52 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Rumour has it that RodBlacks were the first choice for the name but TSN wouldn't allow it.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:09 PM
CoolForumNamePending

It's kinda weird... Not sure I am digging the 'RedBlacks' but I would have legitimately liked 'Red Blacks' or 'Red and Black'. To be honest given what they will be known as in the Francophone community I don't understand why they aren't using 'Red and Black'... 'Rouge et Noir' to this English speaking dude sounds pretty cool.

I also like how all the Ottawa teams have a similar colour scheme and in this context some sort of combination of the words 'Red' & 'Black' for the team name work well. I kind of wish the Raptors and TFC didn't stray from Blue and White. Everything about the Raptors, from the team name to the colours scream 90's expansion team... It was bad from the very beginning and has only gotten worse over time. A few decades from now 'Raptors' will still suck but 'RedBlacks' might age gracefully.

I also agree that 'RedBlacks' is still better than naming a team after a 'scary' animal or worse yet something really tacky like the 'X-treme' or 'Destroyerz'.

Last edited by CoolForumNamePending: 06-09-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old
06-09-2013, 11:10 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post

Originally Posted by Quo

The choice was more about preserving the 'R' than anything else it seems to me. The rascals in Saskatchewan won't budge on the Rough Rider name. Well we're taking our damned logo back at least.

The Roosevelt rough-rider regiment, MacGregor tartan, Liam Neeson flitting about with Tim Roth, les mauvais Anglais, Big Joe Mufferaw and his log-driving companions...all ancillary imagery with their own pluses and minuses. All that shows, as Hunt said, is that the canvas is immensely fill-able and highly adaptable in the long run.

Word.

Amen! I LOVE that helmet. I hope to buy an original Rough Rider helmet one day.

To hell with the Green Riders. Selfish ******. I hope they NEVER win the Grey Cup again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Rumour has it that RodBlacks were the first choice for the name but TSN wouldn't allow it.
Clever.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I hope to buy an original Rough Rider helmet one day.
Come to think of it, ya, prolly come in handy.... extra safety protection when driving
or out for a stroll.... at Fallsview Waterpark taking a header down the Kamakazi....

Old
06-09-2013, 11:47 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Come to think of it, ya, prolly come in handy.... extra safety protection when driving
or out for a stroll.... at Fallsview Waterpark taking a header down the Kamakazi....
I not even sure the Waterpark is still up. Probably turned it into another strip club.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:02 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Old
06-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Singer James Brown had Native & African American ancestry, as did Jimi Hendrix (part Cherokee)... I think the
figure is that 5% of all African Americans have app 12.5% Native American Indian DNA chromosones & lineage.

Old
06-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Hutz
Classless User

The name's grown on me. The more I hear it, the more I like it.

Like others, I'd prefer they split the two words, Ottawa Red Blacks, but I definitely don't hate the name and might even like it now.

Old
06-10-2013, 03:09 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

the name sounds ok in french: Rouge et Noir. RedBlacks, not so much. Red Blacks doesnt really change much. Red and Blacks still sounds weird.

on a more NHL-related note, jeff hunt, the 'main' owner of the team (and owner of the ottawa 67's of the OHL) mentioned that the team would be lobbying hard for the 2017 Grey Cup (canada's 150th anniversary) and that there were the suggestions that Ottawa would host the NHL Winter Classic (i presume he actually meant the heritage classic, or just a random outdoor game if the NHL keeps at their multiple games per year pace) in 2017 in the new stadium as well.

I imagine if the NCC (national capital commission, essentially a crown corporation that's goal is to manage Canada's capital) threw their weight behind it, the NHL would comply.

Old
06-10-2013, 05:38 AM
Tough Guy

I'm actually embarrassed for people in Ottawa. What an absolute travesty of a name.

Old
06-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Oobz

I think the name would be better if it was around for 80 or 100 years, but that just isn't the case. Dumb.

Old
06-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Evil Doctor
89 years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
They do have some history behind them and it's because of that history that makes them classic names. Could you imagine an expansion team calling themselves the "Knickerbockers" in today's day and age? They'd be mocked endlessly as the RedBlacks are now. If the RedBlacks name was 40-50 years old, I don't think anyone would bat an eye at it and would call it classic and be using a similar post to yours questioning someone calling the name a bit ridiculous. And just for the record, I love the Knickerbockers name.
I always find these arguments silly. Pick random sports name, claim it's silly, justify using Redblacks. Rinse, lather, repeat. It's a strawman argument that has nothing to do with the issue at hand, while admitting the name is stupid. How about cutting out the middleman and starting off on the right foot, by using a good name?

Old
06-10-2013, 07:56 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post

As for my opinion on it, I actually like it. It's one of the most interesting expansion names I've seen in a long time. The only change I would have made would be calling them the "Red Blacks", but I like it. Plays to the history of Ottawa sports teams, a sense of pride. Here's hoping it works and Ottawa gets behind it.

Yes
I absolutely agree with you.
My criticism of the name is there spelling and meaning. I have no problem with Red Blacks or Red r and Blacks. Or even Red N' Blacks
But the name and it's spelling is awful. I still have to question Red Blacks though. No one says that! they said "AND"
its like the owners inventing their own language. People from the outside have to say what?
Knicks is short for Knickerbockers which is a real word. Even though sox is spelled wrong at least we get the meaning.
RedBlacks makes no sense and sounds strange. My opinion is similar to many I have read.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:13 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
That would be terrible if they named it Ottawa FC.

People would think it's a soccer club.
then those people would be idiots. There is obviously more than one kind of football in the world. People don't confuse MLS teams as NFL teams. Although I've always wondered why MLS teams use FC instead of SC. Pretty sure it is still called soccer on a much wider scale here.

but if you want to be picky, call it Ottawa CFC. Still miles better than "RedBlacks".

Christ I can't get over how terrible of a name that is.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:17 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 229
Conspiracy theory... maybe they deliberately chose an ugly name so that there would be public pressure on Saskatchewan to allow Ottawa to use the Rough Riders name again.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:21 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Guy View Post
I'm actually embarrassed for people in Ottawa. What an absolute travesty of a name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobz View Post
I think the name would be better if it was around for 80 or 100 years, but that just isn't the case. Dumb.
To their credit, they have people talking and that is never a bad thing.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:24 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
I always find these arguments silly. Pick random sports name, claim it's silly, justify using Redblacks. Rinse, lather, repeat. It's a strawman argument that has nothing to do with the issue at hand, while admitting the name is stupid. How about cutting out the middleman and starting off on the right foot, by using a good name?
Well, what's a good name? Is it like art - the eye of the beholder? Or is it something else?

Not trying to strawman, just trying to ask questions. Just trying to have good discussion.

Last edited by tp71: 06-10-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Closed Thread