HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Ottawa CFL Team offically named RedBlacks

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2013, 12:27 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

vCash: 500
couldn't they take part of the "Rough Riders" name back?

maybe the "Red Riders" or "Rough Rogues" or something?

glad they kept the "R" logo helmet though...vintage

Old
06-10-2013, 12:30 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
My criticism of the name is there spelling and meaning. I have no problem with Red Blacks or Red r and Blacks. Or even Red N' Blacks
But the name and it's spelling is awful. I still have to question Red Blacks though. No one says that! they said "AND"
its like the owners inventing their own language. People from the outside have to say what?
Knicks is short for Knickerbockers which is a real word. Even though sox is spelled wrong at least we get the meaning.
RedBlacks makes no sense and sounds strange. My opinion is similar to many I have read.
Your opinion is similar to many out there, I'm just trying to challenge it. Just because it's the popular opinion does not always make it the best.

Again, what I'm trying to argue is try and imagine there are no Red Sox, imagine there is no White Sox. Think about what the reaction would be if a new baseball team decided to be the Blue Sox or something. I think the reaction would be similar to RedBlacks. You may disagree, but that's my thought.

A straight up question, if this name had 50 years of history behind it, would you question it as a silly name?

Old
06-10-2013, 12:32 PM
htpwn

I was against the Ottawa franchise being called the Roughriders, simply because as a non-CFL fan I couldn't care less about any the history surrounding the name and can't find another reason why a league would use the same name for two of their 8 franchises. RedBlacks though is just awful. At the very least they could have used 'Rouge et Noir' instead.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:32 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
LOLOL

that is all

Old
06-10-2013, 01:02 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
RedBlacks?

What is that? Is that even an oxymoron?

Old
06-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Quo
storms in my knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
At the very least they could have used 'Rouge et Noir' instead.
That is their official name in French.

Old
06-10-2013, 03:39 PM
DrillingForOil

Wierd, people making fun of ones name. The same people who cheer for the Flames (what is the significance to the city, really?), Ducks, Lightning, Panthers, the Wild, Coyotes. I will not even get started with the NBA, horrid horrid unoriginal names. How original are those names?

RedBlacks totally steps out of the comfort zone of picking an animal. I personally suggested the Ottawa Red Riflemen (double R being carried forward), but definitely am on board with RedBlacks, because it is so original, and salutes the city's history and image.

Old
06-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Worst team name since the Minnesota Wild.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
06-10-2013, 03:55 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillingForOil View Post
Wierd, people making fun of ones name. The same people who cheer for the Flames (what is the significance to the city, really?), Ducks, Lightning, Panthers, the Wild, Coyotes. I will not even get started with the NBA, horrid horrid unoriginal names. How original are those names?
Florida Panthers are an actual endangered species in the Florida Everglades. The Tampa area has more lightning strikes per year than anywhere else in the country. What's wrong with those names?

Old
06-10-2013, 05:41 PM
nabbyfan

If RedBlacks wasn't stupid enough, they are requesting for media to refer to them as the Ottawa REDBLACKS.

Maybe if they scream the name, it will sound better?

Old
06-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
One of the worst kept secrets announced today.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=425000

Main reasons given for the choice is red and black are Ottawa's sports colours, are the ceremonial colours of Ottawa's Cameron Highlanders, the Governor General's Foot Guards and the RCMP. Plus it translates well in French - Rouge et Noir trying to reach out the Quebec side of the river.

This one is going to take time to get used to, but certain there are worse names out there in sports.
Black and Blues when the TiCats are done with them... sorry that was lame.

after hearing it a few times, its not too bad.. sure beats being named the Argonauts

Old
06-10-2013, 06:00 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

I am just happy they are coming back. If, in a few years it has not caught on, perhaps a return to Rough Riders. That would be wonderful.

Old
06-10-2013, 06:33 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I am just happy they are coming back. If, in a few years it has not caught on, perhaps a return to Rough Riders. That would be wonderful.
and how do you propose we return to Rough Riders? Are we just going to fly to Regina and hope the people there arnt *******s any more?

06-10-2013, 06:38 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
and how do you propose we return to Rough Riders? Are we just going to fly to Regina and hope the people there arnt *******s any more?
You are right, of course, but I still would LOVE to see the Rough Riders return.

Old
06-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Why not just rougher riders?

Old
06-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Well, tell ya what Kevy. You might wanna look that term up, "Rough Rider" in Urban Dictionary on the net. Id post a link but absolutely Infract territory. Good thing they didnt return to using it if you ask me.... so sure, glad Ottawa's back and hey, look at all the publicity RedBlack's generating? Might be on to something. Bad taste & no imagination can be quite effective when it comes to advertising & marketing.

Old
06-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
sure beats being named the Argonauts
I'm going to assume you're being a homer here. When you think about it, it's quite a genius name. It originally of course was the name of a Toronto rowing club, which I think was creative to name themselves after the most famous rowers from legend, a name that inspired the name 'astronaut'. The football team was founded by the rowing team (in fact I think the team has had the name Argonauts longer than the name Toronto).

It's one of those rare names that goes completely of the map by drawing from a seldom used source and it works. It sounds good, and has deep meaning. It represents the very opposite end of the spectrum of creativity from that of the RedBlacks...

Old
06-10-2013, 07:21 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

I like the names of all CFL team except for the Lions - too dull. The "Roughrider" name I love but hate the team. I am a Ticat backer but will love/support the Ottawa team.

Old
06-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
I'm going to assume you're being a homer here. When you think about it, it's quite a genius name. It originally of course was the name of a Toronto rowing club, which I think was creative to name themselves after the most famous rowers from legend, a name that inspired the name 'astronaut'. The football team was founded by the rowing team (in fact I think the team has had the name Argonauts longer than the name Toronto).

It's one of those rare names that goes completely of the map by drawing from a seldom used source and it works. It sounds good, and has deep meaning. It represents the very opposite end of the spectrum of creativity from that of the RedBlacks...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argonauts
Argonauts = Argo sailors
the Greek word ´argos´ translated into English takes the meanings of idle, lazy, thoughtless, unprofitable and injurious
Astro= Star naut = sailor

Astronaut = star sailor

Old
06-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

RedBlacks sounds like a high school team who had to change their name from Redskins but wanted to do it as cheaply as possible

Old
06-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
Goes back to 1872, the Argonaut Rowing Club as you mention which was made up of Rowers who had attended Oxford & Cambridge, adopting the hues of blue from each in creating their own double blue colours which became synonymous with Toronto teams thereafter. They also had a hockey team, and are credited with innovating the role of defenceman where up until about 1909 theyd line up at a face-off one in front of the other, the Argo's moving them to left & right, then playing like it was football with set plays n' whatnot... The Toronto Argonaut Football Club is the oldest still surviving professional sports franchise in North America.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:25 PM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

Maple Leafs? Leafs? That's not a word! It should be Leaves! How stupid "Leafs" must have looked for the first few years of its century-long history.

RedBlacks, like the Leafs, can become an original Ontario team brand name.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:26 AM
the beat
cursum perficio

Don't mind the name. Could have chosen a more classic looking logo though if they're going the "timeless" route.

Old
06-11-2013, 03:19 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post

A straight up question, if this name had 50 years of history behind it, would you question it as a silly name?
What a preposterous question. The team hasn't been named like this for 50 years, and if it had, we'd have an entirely different and developed outlook on the name that has been cultivated by many different things we cannot comprehend at this current time (since we've just heard the name).

We can only judge the name now, shockingly. I love hypothetical questions, but this question is about as useful and intelligent as not naming your own child.

The name is very poor IMO. Will people get used to it and accept it? Sure, doesn't mean here and now it isn't superficially a terrible name.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:49 AM
berklon

Does anyone here even watch the CFL?

Closed Thread