HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Ottawa CFL Team offically named RedBlacks

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 06:40 AM
HabsByTheBay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Maple Leafs? Leafs? That's not a word! It should be Leaves! How stupid "Leafs" must have looked for the first few years of its century-long history.

RedBlacks, like the Leafs, can become an original Ontario team brand name.
Unlikely, since people in the 30s would have known what the Maple Leaf Regiment was.

Old
06-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabbyfan View Post
If RedBlacks wasn't stupid enough, they are requesting for media to refer to them as the Ottawa REDBLACKS.

Maybe if they scream the name, it will sound better?
Well Ottawa is the "CAPITAL".

Old
06-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
I'm going to assume you're being a homer here. When you think about it, it's quite a genius name. It originally of course was the name of a Toronto rowing club, which I think was creative to name themselves after the most famous rowers from legend, a name that inspired the name 'astronaut'. The football team was founded by the rowing team (in fact I think the team has had the name Argonauts longer than the name Toronto).

It's one of those rare names that goes completely of the map by drawing from a seldom used source and it works. It sounds good, and has deep meaning. It represents the very opposite end of the spectrum of creativity from that of the RedBlacks...
Not sure what you mean by homer Mr Doctor. I do know the history some but to quote shakespeare 'to suck by any other name is still an Argo'

Old
06-11-2013, 08:34 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
Does anyone here even watch the CFL?
Why do you ask this???

Old
06-11-2013, 08:54 AM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Why do you ask this???
Just curious. By the comments, it doesn't sound like many here follow the CFL - especially since the name was hinted at for a while.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:05 AM
FuriousSenator

The sheer hatred surrounding this name has been unbelievable. Particularly in Ottawa itself.

Personally, I think a lot of it is just whining for the sake of whining. The name is absolutely fine, reasonably unique, and rolls off the tongue. No we couldn't have 'Rough Riders' (who actually even cares, they sucked ass 1980 onwards), and this one keeps the 'R' name without being too ridiculously goofy (someone suggested the 'Rocks'....the 'Rocks' ). It's not great no, but it's not bad given the constraints and circumstances.

Literally the only part of this team name that should be of any concern to ANYBODY in Ottawa is the "Ottawa" part. The rest is completely irrelevant. All that matters is that for the first time in a long while, Ottawa will have multiple pro teams in the city with strong ownership, a brand new venue, and a (seemingly) bright financial future. For years Ottawa has sat at the absolute bottom of big city sports towns in Canada, and now we have a chance to climb back out, and the first thing on everyone's mind is to poo-poo the name?? You all need

To those complete morons who claim they won't be supporting the team because it's called Redblacks. Get the **** over yourselves. Ottawa has a new team to support...finally. Aren't you happy we have a horse in the race in something OTHER THAN HOCKEY (not to mention this team will actually be based IN OTTAWA, not some suburb in the middle of nowhere).

If you're willing to let something as simple and unimportant as the name deter you from attending games, you are a bandwagoning disgrace of a sports fan and I'd rather you stay far, far away from both Lansdowne Park, and Scotiabank Place. The CFL is made of sterner stuff than the likes of you.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:07 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Red 'n Black

(My first choice. Guess the French is cool. The English is unique at least, easy to google search)

Old
06-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

The Hart brothers of wrestling fame in the old WWF called themselves the Pink n' Black Attack, and seems to me there's a slogan in the NBA Red & Black Attack. I could see this morphing into The Ottawa Red n' Black Attack... Not that I care for that either but at least its something. Goes somewhere.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:05 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
Not sure what you mean by homer Mr Doctor.
Slamming a teams name when there's a logical source for it usually makes someone sound like they've got the homer glasses on quite tightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
I do know the history some but to quote shakespeare 'to suck by any other name is still an Argo'
Most Grey Cup championships, last years winner, yet they sure do suck. : (FYI: this also makes you look like a homer.)

Old
06-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
Slamming a teams name when there's a logical source for it usually makes someone sound like they've got the homer glasses on quite tightly.

Most Grey Cup championships, last years winner, yet they sure do suck. : (FYI: this also makes you look like a homer.)
if hating the Argos is wrong than I don't ever want to be right

Old
06-11-2013, 12:40 PM
DrillingForOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
The sheer hatred surrounding this name has been unbelievable. Particularly in Ottawa itself.

Personally, I think a lot of it is just whining for the sake of whining. The name is absolutely fine, reasonably unique, and rolls off the tongue. No we couldn't have 'Rough Riders' (who actually even cares, they sucked ass 1980 onwards), and this one keeps the 'R' name without being too ridiculously goofy (someone suggested the 'Rocks'....the 'Rocks' ). It's not great no, but it's not bad given the constraints and circumstances.

Literally the only part of this team name that should be of any concern to ANYBODY in Ottawa is the "Ottawa" part. The rest is completely irrelevant. All that matters is that for the first time in a long while, Ottawa will have multiple pro teams in the city with strong ownership, a brand new venue, and a (seemingly) bright financial future. For years Ottawa has sat at the absolute bottom of big city sports towns in Canada, and now we have a chance to climb back out, and the first thing on everyone's mind is to poo-poo the name?? You all need

To those complete morons who claim they won't be supporting the team because it's called Redblacks. Get the **** over yourselves. Ottawa has a new team to support...finally. Aren't you happy we have a horse in the race in something OTHER THAN HOCKEY (not to mention this team will actually be based IN OTTAWA, not some suburb in the middle of nowhere).

If you're willing to let something as simple and unimportant as the name deter you from attending games, you are a bandwagoning disgrace of a sports fan and I'd rather you stay far, far away from both Lansdowne Park, and Scotiabank Place. The CFL is made of sterner stuff than the likes of you.
Amen

Old
06-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

if the best argument you can muster for a name is "it won't be so bad in 50 years", then you're basically conceding that it's a terrible name and only half a century of context can make it passable.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:05 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
Does anyone here even watch the CFL?
Just in western Canada, people in eastern Canada follow hockey year round and a little cricket.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:06 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Maple Leafs? Leafs? That's not a word! It should be Leaves! How stupid "Leafs" must have looked for the first few years of its century-long history.

RedBlacks, like the Leafs, can become an original Ontario team brand name.
You don't called a family with the surname 'Wolf' the 'Wolves,' do you? They're the 'Wolfs.'

Same rule applies: 'Maple Leaf' becomes 'Maple Leafs,' instead of 'Maple Leaves.'

Last edited by htpwn: 06-11-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old
06-11-2013, 01:10 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Unlikely, since people in the 30s would have known what the Maple Leaf Regiment was.
Reposting a previous post of mine in this topic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Actually, there was no WWI Maple Leaf regiment or battalion from Ontario, at least not as far as can be told. More likely, the team was named after the Maple Leaf regimental badges that most Canadian units wore, but over the course of time that got confused into representing a Maple Leaf Regiment badge. That, and the team just so happened to be given the exact same name as a baseball team that was, at the time, far more popular than the hockey team but which obviously faded into oblivion since then.

http://1967ers.wordpress.com/2012/05...led-the-leafs/
And I do agree that if you're a fan of a sport, the team name alone shouldn't be enough to dissuade you from attending games.

That being said, if you think that the name and the look are utterly stupid, have nothing against you not wanting to buy and wear the team's gear.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:58 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
What a preposterous question. The team hasn't been named like this for 50 years, and if it had, we'd have an entirely different and developed outlook on the name that has been cultivated by many different things we cannot comprehend at this current time (since we've just heard the name).

We can only judge the name now, shockingly. I love hypothetical questions, but this question is about as useful and intelligent as not naming your own child.

The name is very poor IMO. Will people get used to it and accept it? Sure, doesn't mean here and now it isn't superficially a terrible name.
It's not a bad question. I'm merely asking what would be the reaction to the name today if it were 50 years old. What's wrong with posing that question?

What makes a name "good"? Why are the "Browns" or "Reds" good? If RedBlacks were as old, would it be considered in the same ilk as the names listed? Sure we can only judge it now, but just try and imagine how the name would be received if it was 20, 50, 80 years old. What would the reaction be? I think the reaction would be quite different.

I'm just curious for peoples answers. Nothing wrong with asking that question.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:03 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:

Wow, Ed...

The post is too harsh/heavy handed but, for the most part, you and I finally agree. Bravo!!!

Old
06-11-2013, 02:20 PM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
It's not a bad question. I'm merely asking what would be the reaction to the name today if it were 50 years old. What's wrong with posing that question?

What makes a name "good"? Why are the "Browns" or "Reds" good? If RedBlacks were as old, would it be considered in the same ilk as the names listed? Sure we can only judge it now, but just try and imagine how the name would be received if it was 20, 50, 80 years old. What would the reaction be? I think the reaction would be quite different.

I'm just curious for peoples answers. Nothing wrong with asking that question.
My rebuttal to that is when folks state where the Cleveland Browns, or the Cincinnati Reds or *insert team name here* got their names from, they could point it out, and for the time that it was coined if it made sense or not. Heck you could even do that with the Raptors, albeit it's a "We wanted to get on the Jurassic Park bandwagon" type of reason. When folks look back at Ottawa's latest CFL incarnation (and hopefully they will), will the story of "because a focus group told us it sounded cool?" sound compelling? Very doubtful. Even a "well the fans voted for it" would sound better then that.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:21 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Wow, Ed...

The post is too harsh/heavy handed but, for the most part, you and I finally agree. Bravo!!!
'Shrug' we both love sports and we both want to see this league expand positively; preferably without the stupid, relentless yet pointless backlash at every turn. We just take a different approach/mindset to it that's all.

Was bound to happen sooner or later. Let's go RedBlacks!

Old
06-11-2013, 02:27 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Let's go RedBlacks!
Amen! I may drive up from Southern Ontario if they have a throwback Rough Rider day/game. It would do my heart good to see the Rough Riders again. I would love it even more if they did it against the Green Riders (hate those ********) and won.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

So why are the Hartford Whalers - a team whose name was derived from the acronym of the name of the league they played in - such a great name, but RedBlacks is a crime against humanity?

Old
06-11-2013, 02:33 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
So why are the Hartford Whalers - a team whose name was derived from the acronym of the name of the league they played in - such a great name, but RedBlacks is a crime against humanity?
People are talking about this team and that is NEVER as bad thing.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:
I think that's part of the rationale with this name. The 'leak' started the ball rolling and now full steam!

Being an OT thread, it's pushing 150 posts in under 3 days speaks of the impact of the name, with both points of view

The announcement of the Pelicans have never had it this good

Old
06-11-2013, 02:41 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
My rebuttal to that is when folks state where the Cleveland Browns, or the Cincinnati Reds or *insert team name here* got their names from, they could point it out, and for the time that it was coined if it made sense or not. Heck you could even do that with the Raptors, albeit it's a "We wanted to get on the Jurassic Park bandwagon" type of reason. When folks look back at Ottawa's latest CFL incarnation (and hopefully they will), will the story of "because a focus group told us it sounded cool?" sound compelling? Very doubtful. Even a "well the fans voted for it" would sound better then that.
That's a good point. Actually, I find it pretty funny. Although I would hope there's a better story from Hunt about the name.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:56 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
The Big Ten was probably thinking the same thing about the Legends and Leaders Divisions, but them getting mocked nonstop, even on national sports news coverage, was a major driving force in them finally deciding to go for more traditional names with a realignment once the next expansion happens.

Not all news is good news, despite what some would have you believe. Sure, they're getting a lot of coverage, but it's uniformly negative and it's painting the situation in the light that even their future fans want a name change.

If the negative name coverage continues, a la ESPN pundits mocking not even knowing or caring if a school was part of the Legends Division or the Leaders Division a good year after the names were announced, then it's not going to be a good situation for the team.

Closed Thread