HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XX: Horcoff/Hemsky/7th overall Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Seachd

vCash: 500
Was just thinking that if the Oilers get rid of Horcoff and Hemsky, the longest-serving (without leaving) players in the organization will be (in order):

Dubnyk
VandeVelde
Petry/Peckham
Smid

Old
06-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post

Oh, Horcoff.
It's his right. He'd rather be bought out than traded to a cap-floor team. He's just making sure that one way or another, he's on the best team that is willing to take him.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Man. How did Horcoff get a NMC on top of the ridiculous number and term for that contract?

Honestly, it is baffling. If he got the 4-4.5 that would have been a reasonable overpay there would have been a lot less hostility 'round these parts. But everything about that contract was us getting bent over the table. Almost like Lowe said, "Screw it. I'm outta here in a month anyway so lets just get this over with. What do you want? Cool. Fax it over."

Old
06-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Beerfish

"Horcoff has sold his EDM home. Does not submit 10-team list til July 1. Participating in trade process with MacTavish from Michigan home. "

This is a good one for the people claiming that hockey players do NOT take money out of the local economy. Bye bye the 50 million or so you have been paid all these years Horcules.

Another totally bewildering thing, where is the total outrage on these forums about our captain that is a great leader and mentor, great face off guy, guy that plays all the tough minutes, awesome 3rd line center, guy that was responsible for all our our wins last year.

Where have they all gone to?

Old
06-09-2013, 12:48 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
"Horcoff has sold his EDM home. Does not submit 10-team list til July 1. Participating in trade process with MacTavish from Michigan home. "
Via Skype, I presume.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:50 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Via Skype, I presume.
Heyo!

Old
06-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Quote:

This is a good one for the people claiming that hockey players do NOT take money out of the local economy. Bye bye the 50 million or so you have been paid all these years Horcules.

Another totally bewildering thing, where is the total outrage on these forums about our captain that is a great leader and mentor, great face off guy, guy that plays all the tough minutes, awesome 3rd line center, guy that was responsible for all our our wins last year.

All of the people that argued he was a good player with a bad rep for a stupid contract?

I'd say we're all just happy he's moving on to greener pastures and are hoping we can replace him with a similar quality 3rd line center that gets paid about 3 or 4 million dollars less.

I don't get what we're supposed to be outraged about.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:05 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:

They're waiting to see who his replacement is.

Trading him is fine, but MacTavish will be judged largely on his ability to find 3 NHL centers by opening night.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Paralyzer008

Does anyone here have time for Matt Cooke?

I don't even know if I do but interesting UFA out there regardless.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:14 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

We already have Eager and Brown.

If we get rid of those two, then yes.

He's actually an effective player who can score 10+

Old
06-09-2013, 01:17 PM
thinlizzy

Skype would be dead correct as Horc's is a cheapskate when it comes to spending his own money.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:24 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:

There's only so much outrage to go around - it's all being used up on criticizing the GM for finally trying to get rid of Horcoff.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Mr Sakich

i doubt if Horc's nmc is going to be a barrier to a trade. He wants a fresh start, the org wants to move on. He has sold his house. This is an amicable divorce and neither side wants to have Horc answering questions in training camp about how he feels about not being traded.

If mact tells horc he has a deal and that might be the only good one he gets, i would bet horc waives

Old
06-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Lion

vCash: 50
Quote:

Where did you get that quote from?

Old
06-09-2013, 01:38 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
Quote:
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 21h

Horcoff has sold his EDM home. Does not submit 10-team list til July 1. Participating in trade process with MacTavish from Michigan home.
From here.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Man. How did Horcoff get a NMC on top of the ridiculous number and term for that contract?

Honestly, it is baffling. If he got the 4-4.5 that would have been a reasonable overpay there would have been a lot less hostility 'round these parts. But everything about that contract was us getting bent over the table. Almost like Lowe said, "Screw it. I'm outta here in a month anyway so lets just get this over with. What do you want? Cool. Fax it over."
It was fair value at the time. Nobody could have known the effects that shoulder injury's were going to have on him and Hemsky. The implosion of the team through mismanagment and tough trades certainly put too much weight on his shoulders. Horcoff wasn't a good enough center to let the team break in two young centers at a time (Gagner, Cogliano, ect..) without massive concessions.

I remember wanting 5 million but me and almost everyone else was happy at the time of the deal. This was the anti Smyth deal, we didn't have the appetite in Edmonton to see another core player leave. The Pronger and Smyth trades were a big deal and Horcoff coming off a big year with the kids (Cogliano, Gagner, Nillson) in tow there looked to be some light at the end of the tunnel. Then we hired Tambellini, god that guy was a terrible GM right from the outset he screwed this team (Khabibulin). Do nothing GM who couldn't target good players to help the NHL roster, this hurt Horcoff immeasurably. Horcoff never lived up to his deal but if he would have taken 4.5 that offseason, it would have been a big discount.

We all know he's a very good defensive player, and at that time he was scoring too. He's a bigger guy and he could win faceoffs, also a dedicated athlete seen as a leader. Think about what he was. Every team wants that guy, that guy has value. A big two way center in his prime coming off an All Star season with leadership skills, whats not to like. He was the #1 center, and a big part, of a team one win away from a cup two seasons ago. His ppg since the lockout was a quality 0.82 over 3 seasons. He was one of the top players in the SEL during the lockout, and it was stacked that season. And obviously he was coming off a year in which he was very close to ppg in with 50 points in 53 games, made the All Star team and was easily Edmonton's best player that season.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:41 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/st...77323980492800

Old
06-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Roof Daddy

While I still believe Horc will be bought out, here's my last kick at moving him where it might still make sense for both parties:

To DET: Horcoff, Brown (total cap hit of 6.236)

To EDM: Bertuzzi, Tootoo (total cap hit of 3.975)

Again, I don't think there is enough incentive for Detroit because Horc will probably sign there anyway if he is bought out, but I do think they'd prefer Brown over Tootoo based on contract and play (Brown can kill penalties, thus dress for the playoffs).

Old
06-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I wonder if Barrett Jackman could be had from the Blues. It's well known they have 2 key RFAs to sign, and with Bouwmeester and Polak, Jackman's abilities aren't completely lost. Shattenkirk, Bouw, Pie, Polak, Cole and Russell is a fairly decent D still. Especially if Pie and Shattenkirk can continue to develop.

He makes 3.75 for 2 more years I believe. By trading him and Halak, they could help their situation a fair bit.

For us, he gives us a veteran defensive D-man who brings leadership. If we get him and a young puck mover (for presumably the #7), it would make our D look better imo.
Jackman loves St. Louis, lives there year-round. Took a good bit less ($3.166m) than what he could have got in UFA in order to get his NTC in St. Louis. I don't see him waiving that for anyone.

Old
06-09-2013, 02:46 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

Absolutely. He'd slot into our 3rd line nicely.

Old
06-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Paralyzer008

With Eakins on board...

does that make signing Bozak and Stalberg more likely? He's coached both before.

Old
06-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Ah Horcoff, still making me laugh.

You can really see the ego shining through when a 25 - 30 point player with a 5.5 million dollar a year cap hit in a cap reduction year, somehow thinks a Cup contender will trade for him.

Pretty easy to see why the team he is captain of has had locker room problems for the last 5 years.

Old
06-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Ah Horcoff, still making me laugh.

You can really see the ego shining through when a 25 - 30 point player with a 5.5 million dollar a year cap hit in a cap reduction year, somehow thinks a Cup contender will trade for him.

Pretty easy to see why the team he is captain of has had locker room problems for the last 5 years.
This.

Old
06-09-2013, 03:19 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Absolutely. He'd slot into our 3rd line nicely.
Agreed. An actually effective player.

Old
06-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Agreed. An actually effective player.
Cooke is the type of player they need. Not my first choice but they need guys with grit, who can check, and chip in even a little bit.

Closed Thread