HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Liverpool won...

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Liverpool won...

in a shootout today, for those who care. Were down 3-0, came back and won it. I gotta say that the shootout works well in soccer. But for me, soccer and hockey are different sports. There's much more action as a result of the vastly smaller playing field. It's still more exciting for me to see the game being decided with all players on the ice.

Old
05-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
in a shootout today, for those who care. Were down 3-0, came back and won it. I gotta say that the shootout works well in soccer. But for me, soccer and hockey are different sports. There's much more action as a result of the vastly smaller playing field. It's still more exciting for me to see the game being decided with all players on the ice.
Just a incredible game! How about that save by Dudek after 119 minutes?

Hockey vs. Soccer: Id take hockey in sec. But its impossible to understand the tradition in soccer and how big it is world wide. If I don't remember wrong one billion people saw the WC final in 2002.

Old
05-25-2005, 05:06 PM
nyr7andcounting

Did you see the **** Dudek was doing in goal during the shootout? Looked like an ass...don't have a problem with that...but I do have a problem with him coming off the line before the shot. On half of the shots he was 2 or 3 steps off the line when it was taken.

Old
05-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Fletch

I saw very little of the game...

and am not really a soccer fan, but I did happen to see that save. That was huge.

Old
05-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Ola

Quote:
and am not really a soccer fan, but I did happen to see that save. That was huge.
I watch some soccer. Its impossible not to in Europe. Dudeks save could have been the (fill in the words, I can't) I have ever seen AND imagine how big that save was. First of all its in the biggest game possible for a club team. Its last minute of OT. Its a empty net, IN SOCCER.(impossible to miss ) The guy who shoots is maybe the best player in the world.

To make a comparision to the NHL. New York Rangers are in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. Game tied. Time 0.05 left in the 3rd period. Rick Nash/Jarmoe Iginla gets a empty net and who ever is in the net for NYR makes the most spectacular/toughest save you have ever seen a goalie do in the NHL the last 20 years.

As a sport fan I really feel for all Liversport fans. Sports fans live entire lifes without experience something like what happend tonight. (beeing down 3-0 agaisnt the "best" team in the world, 3-0 in soccer is like 5-0 in hockey. They come back and ties the game. Then wins it in a shoot out.)

Old
05-25-2005, 06:21 PM
rangers

Quote:
Lets hope they never decide to bring shootouts to the NHL. Sure, its exciting, but it doesn`t reward the best team (Goes for both hockey and soccer, as we witnessed today).

Old
05-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Wranglers110

As a Liverpool fan, let me just say:

edit....I was opposed to the shootout before Vegas got an ECHL team and I have to admit I've warmed up to the idea of the shootout in hockey. It just feels a lot more satisfying to leave the building knowing someone won and someone lost. Putting them into regular season games isn't the end of the world, IMO.

Old
05-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Nemchinov13

Re:

Gongrats to Liverpool. That was an awesome comeback. Haven't seen the game, but from all accounts, an incredible game. As a fan of football's Red Army club, we'll see Liverpool in Monaco (for those that don't know, CSKA has won the UEFA Cup by defeating Lissbon's Sporting).

Old
05-26-2005, 12:05 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Good to see you guys aren't like some arrogant Americans that think that the world revolves around the sports that they like and because they don't like Soccer that it sucks.

Old
05-26-2005, 01:44 AM
kdazzad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
Did you see the **** Dudek was doing in goal during the shootout? Looked like an ass...
Jerzy was just imitating Gobbelaar ..

Old
05-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
What people now tend to forget that Dudek made an increadible save from Shevchenko unbelievable freekick 30 seconds before Gerrard scored the first goal for Liverpool. That was a bullet he just got one hand on to deflect it past the post.

He had no business saving that one....I was just thinking at the time that could be the turn of events......and it was!

Gerrard was outstanding, he basically played defense the last 60 minutes of the game.

Old
05-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers
Lets hope they never decide to bring shootouts to the NHL. Sure, its exciting, but it doesn`t reward the best team (Goes for both hockey and soccer, as we witnessed today).
Right you are!

Old
05-26-2005, 11:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The new NHL will have shootouts just for the regular season.Playoff games will not be decided by shootouts like the World Cup,Champions League and Euro tournament

Old
05-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
That was amazing to watch. Great comeback Liverpool !

For some reason, shootouts work in soccer.

Old
05-27-2005, 04:09 AM
Fletch

The reason being, kovy..

is that for the most part, it's slow sport played on a long surface. There aren't 30 shots be game (and the game's more than 90 minutes). And heck, they do play 2 15 minute OTs. It's just a different sport.

Old
05-27-2005, 04:29 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
is that for the most part, it's slow sport played on a long surface. There aren't 30 shots be game (and the game's more than 90 minutes). And heck, they do play 2 15 minute OTs. It's just a different sport.
Fletch - you are kidding right? I mean I love hockey dont' give me wrong but you can't compare the exertion in Hockey to exertion in soccer. C'mon slow game - maybe in the US it is - but this soccer and certanly premiership soccer in general is played at full tilt. There is a capable understudy for every position - you don't run you get taken out of the game.

Old
05-27-2005, 04:47 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger
Fletch - you are kidding right? I mean I love hockey dont' give me wrong but you can't compare the exertion in Hockey to exertion in soccer. C'mon slow game - maybe in the US it is - but this soccer and certanly premiership soccer in general is played at full tilt. There is a capable understudy for every position - you don't run you get taken out of the game.
The premiership is OK. But I get grey hairs when I watch a Serie A game. There is a injury every 45 sec. In with a stretcher ect. The players play for 45 sec then makes funny gestures with their hands for 5 minutes.

Old
05-27-2005, 08:19 AM
Fletch

Never said anything about exertion...

running up and down is strenuous. But, very often you get nowhere. It's tiresome, but it's tough to get to that goal. With 2 minutes down, more often than not you say this game is likely over. As opposed to hockey where there are often goalmouth frenzies and nonstop action in the offensive zone. Like I said, you're not going to see 30 shots on goal from each side in 60 minutes of soccer, let alone 90 minutes or 120. That was my point.

Old
05-27-2005, 12:15 PM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
running up and down is strenuous. But, very often you get nowhere. It's tiresome, but it's tough to get to that goal. With 2 minutes down, more often than not you say this game is likely over. As opposed to hockey where there are often goalmouth frenzies and nonstop action in the offensive zone. Like I said, you're not going to see 30 shots on goal from each side in 60 minutes of soccer, let alone 90 minutes or 120. That was my point.
I understand what you are saying, your main point being that shootouts work well in soccer because of the lack of shots and that in hockey with constant breakaways and oppotunitys they are not so effective. I feel that a shootout victory is a "cheap" victory in my opinion. Especially in hockey, with football after 2 hours of play the game becomes so slow that it has to be decided via other means. In hockey on the other hand the game can be battled out and decided, the main reason for this being the constant rotation of players.

To sum it up shootouts in football , shootous in hockey .

Old
05-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Fletch

Exactly Blackburn...

thanks...

Closed Thread