HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger Prospect Poll - #20

View Poll Results: #20
Billy Ryan 6 13.95%
Chad Wiseman 3 6.98%
Ryan Callahan 10 23.26%
Nate Guenin 1 2.33%
Ryan Hollweg 3 6.98%
Jake Taylor 4 9.30%
Dwight Helminen 1 2.33%
Joey Crabb 0 0%
Roman Psurny 4 9.30%
Garth Murray 10 23.26%
Chris Holt 0 0%
Zdenek Bahensky 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2005, 01:07 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Ranger Prospect Poll - #20

#1 Prospect - Henrik Lundqvist (G) - 2000 Draft - #205 Overall, 7th Round*
#2 Prospect - Fedor Tyutin (D) - 2001 Draft - #40 Overall, 2nd Round*
#3 Prospect - Al Montoya (G) - 2004 Draft - #6 Overall, 1st Round*
#4 Prospect - Hugh Jessiman (RW) - 2003 Draft - #12 Overall, 1st Round*
#5 Prospect - Jarkko Immonen (C) - 2002 Draft - #254 Overall, 8th Round
#6 Prospect - Lauri Korpikoski (LW) - 2004 Draft - #19 Overall, 1st Round*
#7 Prospect - Maxim Kondratiev (D) - 2001 Draft - #168 Overall, 6th Round
#8 Prospect - Jozef Balej (RW) - 2000 Draft - #78 Overall, 3rd Round
#9 Prospect - Nigel Dawes (LW) - 2003 Draft - #149 Overall, 5th Round*
#10 Prospect - Ivan Baranka (D) - 2003 Draft - #50 Overall, 2nd Round*
#11 Prospect - Petr Prucha (C) - 2002 Draft - #240 Overall, 8th Round*
#12 Prospect - Bruce Graham (C) - 2004 Draft - #51 Overall, 2nd Round*
#13 Prospect - Thomas Pock (D) - Not Drafted*
#14 Prospect - Alexandre Giroux (LW) - 1999 Draft - #213 Overall, 7th Round
#15 Prospect - Bryce Lampman (D) - 2001 Draft - #113 Overall, 4th Round*
#16 Prospect - Darin Olver (C) - 2004 Draft - #36 Overall, 2nd Round*
#17 Propsect - Dave Liffton (D) - 2003 Draft - #63 Overall, 2nd Round
#18 Prospect - Brandon Dubinsky (C) - 2004 Draft - #60 Overall, 2nd Round*
#19 Prospect - Dominic Moore (C) - 2000 Draft - #95 Overall, 3rd Round*
* - Home grown prospects (NYR Drafted/Signed)
----
Added: Hollweg & Crabb
Nominations: Petruzalek & G. Moore
----
Voted for Callahan, has leadership qualities, similar to Ort but hopefully he'll have more of a scoring touch.

Old
05-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Levitate

taking a flyer on Ryan because I think he's the only one up there that has real offensive potential

Old
05-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Fletch

Interesting levitate...

I actually went with Taylor again because I believe that he has a good chance at making it to the NHL, and a chance to be a top four defenseman. It's boring. Upside for a defensive defenseman is somewhat limited (there's no fun in no goals). But I liked what I saw, and am jaded [against others] by the fact that I have seen him.

Old
05-26-2005, 01:30 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I actually went with Taylor again because I believe that he has a good chance at making it to the NHL, and a chance to be a top four defenseman. It's boring. Upside for a defensive defenseman is somewhat limited (there's no fun in no goals). But I liked what I saw, and am jaded [against others] by the fact that I have seen him.
I like stay at home defensman more then i do offensive defensman (which is why i'm a huge fan of DeVries and Kasp.) as long as they get the job done in the d-zone then i applaud them, with defense comes offense and we have forwards to provide the offense. Im voting for Taylor after Callahan.

Old
05-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Levitate

yeah but i figured you had taylor covered

and that's also why i said i was taking a flyer on him...i feel he could be more valuable in the end than a guy like taylor, but he has a long ways to go before we know if he'll actually be more valuable

Old
05-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Fletch

It gets tough around here...

but it's also interesting. There still seems to be guys with outside shots at being top six scoring forwards. Like I had said in a prior post, there aren't many sure-bet NHLers down here though. I do think that for a large number of prospects, last year was a disappointing year points-wise. A lot either regressed or stayed flat in that regard. I like to think it's because of the whole rounding out the other areas of their game, but I'm not one to like explaining things. Explanations, more often than not, are excuses.

Old
05-26-2005, 02:13 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

After reading more about Billy Ryan I probably should have voted for him over Callahan.

Old
05-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Mike18

Are we going to stop at 20?

I've been voting for Ryan the last couple rounds, at least now I don't feel so lonely.

Old
05-26-2005, 03:15 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike18
Are we going to stop at 20?

I've been voting for Ryan the last couple rounds, at least now I don't feel so lonely.
Originally i was going to stop at 20 but since we're getting some good arguments between prospects and theres nothing really else to talk about I was going to keep it going past 20 (unless a Mod PMs me to stop).

Old
05-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Levitate

Quote:
but it's also interesting. There still seems to be guys with outside shots at being top six scoring forwards. Like I had said in a prior post, there aren't many sure-bet NHLers down here though. I do think that for a large number of prospects, last year was a disappointing year points-wise. A lot either regressed or stayed flat in that regard. I like to think it's because of the whole rounding out the other areas of their game, but I'm not one to like explaining things. Explanations, more often than not, are excuses.
well it kind of depends...you have a bunch of players on this list now that played in new leagues last year so you can't compare their numbers to numbers they had previously...Ryan being one of them, also Bahensky, Hollweg, Psurny, Helminen...even Taylor (though i don't think anyone was expecting him to put up numbers in either college or the AHL )

but out of all of them I like Ryan's potential upside the most...maybe Psurny also has a similar upside too.

It'll take him a little bit since he obviously needs to still "grow up" so to speak, but Ryan has some real nice skills and should play a bigger scoring role for Maine next year

Old
05-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Taz

Im going with Garth Murray, simply because he will be playing in the NHL. Yes his offence is dissapointing but he brings alot of energy, power,size, toughness and leadership skills. Maybe the offence can improve

Other then that Callahan

wish he had a tad more size

Old
05-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Barnaby

Callahan... I just love the way he plays. A heart and soul player who gives everything and can kill penalties. I look for him to be a solid NHLer.

Old
05-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
I voted Callahan. He's another hardworking guy who gets overlooked. He projects as a third liner who plays with a lot of energy.

Old
05-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Garth Murray... he didn't score a lot this year, but he's still going to be an NHLer.

Old
05-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Barnaby

If Callahan play with some big guys on a third line, then I think he could be very effective. With guys like Callahan, Helminen, etc... we could have some great PK forwards in the future.

Old
05-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Onion Boy

Voted for Callahan. Impressed me at the World Juniors. Gritty, hard-nosed player with excellent leadership ability. I was a little disappointed with his offense and his hands (unfortunately) reminded me a bit of Ortmeyer, but if he can develop an improved scoring touch, he definately has top-six potential.

Old
05-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
Im going with Garth Murray, simply because he will be playing in the NHL. Yes his offence is dissapointing but he brings alot of energy, power,size, toughness and leadership skills. Maybe the offence can improve

Other then that Callahan

wish he had a tad more size
Went with Murray too. Big Jake is also a personal fav. of mine.

Callahan, well I can only judge him from what I saw in the WJC. Where he was really good. But at the same he didn't show me any major plays. The effort is great and reportedly he have a good skill level but my bet is that if he is gooing to make it he still is really far away. I get a little Garth Murray feeling about Callahan and Garth have IMO come along pretty good. He defenitly don't look like a younger player on the ice and he is physically strong. Still he haven't exactly set the world on fire, yet.

I am a little more intrigued with Billy Ryan. BTW was Walt Kyle Ryans coach in College? If thats the case Ryan might have a good shoot to make the US WJ national team next year with Kyle in charge. There is always gooing to be room on the roster(Edit: in NY) for hardworking players. But atleast 75% of all forwards should be players that can skate and handle the puck at top speed. Ryan also have the factors that draft steals often have.

Hollweg is a player we can't forget either. Doesn't really have any flaws. Quit good with the puck also. Nothing close to worldclass but you can tell he was a highscoring players in his younger days, before the WHL. I am hoping that he have allot more in him then what he already have shown. He have missed one entire year of hockey and only played one year in the pro's. Wouldn't be suprised if he kind of like Matthew Barnaby could add a nice scoring touch to his physical game.

Last edited by Ola: 05-26-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old
05-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
I am a little more intrigued with Billy Ryan. BTW was Walt Kyle Ryans coach in College? If thats the case Ryan might have a good shoot to make the US WJ national team next year with Kyle in charge.
I believe Walt Kyle was Darin Olver's coach at Northern Michigan and unfortunately Olver's Canadian so there isn't that connection there. Would've been nice though.

Old
05-26-2005, 06:55 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I agree with this.

Closed Thread