HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Reclamation Project
A Warm Place

vCash: 500
Which would be unacceptable. Dean would need to swallow his pride and pull the trigger on a trade, no matter how rough it would be.

His Mass Effect Renegade karma would go up a notch...

Old
06-23-2013, 10:54 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
I could see Regehr slowing way down and becoming a #7 Dman ala Ellerby...
3m for a #7 Dman, that's not going to work

Old
06-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
If dean can get Scuderi under the cap with Mitchell playing, then maybe Darryl goes with a Scuderi - Greene pair. Regehr stays with doughty. He's too slow to pair with Greene.

I just don't see a lineup with Mitchell, regehr and Scuderi.

Dean might have to roll the dice with Mitchell and let Scuderi walk. Would leave room to sign holloway without trading Williams.

I'm okay with:

Regehr-doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Muzzin-Greene
Martinez

Old
06-23-2013, 11:11 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Reclamation, your 3rd pairing would be KILLED by any line with players who have a right and left foot. Bottom line is that if Mitchell is healthy and Scuds is brought back, one of the four puck movers is gone. It won't be Scuds as we're not going to Setoguchi him. It won't be Regehr since we won't Seto him either. And I don't think it'd be Greene since he's an assistant captain and well liked and respected in the room. So if Mitchell is healthy, I fear they'd try and trade him, which isn't the right move.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Reclamation Project
A Warm Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Reclamation, your 3rd pairing would be KILLED by any line with players who have a right and left foot. Bottom line is that if Mitchell is healthy and Scuds is brought back, one of the four puck movers is gone. It won't be Scuds as we're not going to Setoguchi him. It won't be Regehr since we won't Seto him either. And I don't think it'd be Greene since he's an assistant captain and well liked and respected in the room. So if Mitchell is healthy, I fear they'd try and trade him, which isn't the right move.
I just threw people in and really didn't think the pairings out

Old
06-23-2013, 11:18 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Scuds is a gonner as far as I'm concerned. There's no need to spend 3M + for another dman when we already have plenty of guys on defense.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:24 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Scuds is a gonner as far as I'm concerned. There's no need to spend 3M + for another dman when we already have plenty of guys on defense.
Plenty of guys? Losing Scuderi leaves a massive hole in the Top 4. I'm sorry but I'm not comfortable with Muzzin, Ellerby or Martinez playing in the top 4. If Willie Mitchell is healthy, then so be it but I'd rather take a chance, sign Scuderi and if Willie is healthy, it would be an added bonus. We could even look to trade one of the younger guys or Regehr if Mitchell is healthy.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:24 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
I just threw people in and really didn't think the pairings out
Gotcha. I figured so with Doughty on the 2nd pairing but hey...some people just wanna watch the world burn.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:25 PM
KBA4life

If Holloway signs I'm up for trading Stoll and dropping Richards to 3C. Face offs would be a concern but it would certainly help alleviate the scoring depth problem. Plus, Carter is a monster in open ice so I say give him the reigns at center and let it rip. Lines:

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Holloway-Carter-Toffoli
Frattin-Richards-Lewis
Clifford-Vey-Nolan/Andreoff

Old
06-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Reclamation Project
A Warm Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Gotcha. I figured so with Doughty on the 2nd pairing but hey...some people just wanna watch the world burn.
Looking back it's pretty rough

Old
06-23-2013, 11:30 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Plenty of guys? Losing Scuderi leaves a massive hole in the Top 4. I'm sorry but I'm not comfortable with Muzzin, Ellerby or Martinez playing in the top 4. If Willie Mitchell is healthy, then so be it but I'd rather take a chance, sign Scuderi and if Willie is healthy, it would be an added bonus. We could even look to trade one of the younger guys or Regehr if Mitchell is healthy.
This was our defense for most of this year:

Doughty/Muzzin
Scuds/Voynov
Ellerby/Amart

This is our projected defense for next year without Scuds:

Doughty/Muzzin
Voynov/Regehr
Greene/Amart or Ellerby
And possibly Mitchell.

I don't know how you see it, but even without Scuds, I like our defense for next year better than what we played with for most of this past season.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:31 PM
Reclamation Project
A Warm Place

Nvm.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:35 PM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

Quote:
This was our defense for most of this year:

Doughty/Muzzin
Scuds/Voynov
Ellerby/Amart

This is our projected defense for next year without Scuds:

Doughty/Muzzin
Voynov/Regehr
Greene/Amart or Ellerby
And possibly Mitchell.

I don't know how you see it, but even without Scuds, I like our defense for next year better than what we played with for most of this past season.
I don't like this look without Scuds. We need a more stay at home DMan. Martinez got beat too often when it counted and Ellerby is a work in progress. There is still a hole that got plenty exposed in the playoffs.

In addition, we would still have a weak transition game which killed our offense against SJ and Chi

Old
06-23-2013, 11:40 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
I don't like this look without Scuds. We need a more stay at home DMan. Martinez got beat too often when it counted and Ellerby is a work in progress. There is still a hole that got plenty exposed in the playoffs.

In addition, we would still have a weak transition game which killed our offense against SJ and Chi
The way I look at it, we're getting a more experienced Muzzin and Ellerby. Besides, I'm one of those who thinks Mitchell is coming back at 100%. AND even if he didn't, we can just make another veteran acquisition by the trade deadline. I'd rather go this route than to spend all that money on defense, when our need is SCORING!!!

Old
06-23-2013, 11:43 PM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

Quote:
The way I look at it, we're getting a more experienced Muzzin and Ellerby. Besides, I'm one of those who thinks Mitchell is coming back at 100%. AND even if he didn't, we can just make another veteran acquisition by the trade deadline. I'd rather go this route than to spend all that money on defense, when our need is SCORING!!!
Lord knows I'm with you on the latter part of this. I'm still wondering if our poor transition out of the D Zone inhibited it. During the conference finals we looked more like Terry Murray's team except we could hit.

I have more faith in Muffin than I do Ellerby at this point. He is a rookie and is growing into his own. I look at Ellerby as insurance in case of injury.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:48 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Lord knows I'm with you on the latter part of this. I'm still wondering if our poor transition out of the D Zone inhibited it. During the conference finals we looked more like Terry Murray's team except we could hit.

I have more faith in Muffin than I do Ellerby at this point. He is a rookie and is growing into his own. I look at Ellerby as insurance in case of injury.
Right. And if we spend 3M + on Scuds, I highly doubt we can sign/trade for a legit 2LW, which should be our top priority, not re-signing another dman like Scuds.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:53 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I really like the added depth that the Kings have with Frattin in the picture. Even with the departure of guys like Penner and Richardson, the Kings still have a number of options for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines. This would be helped even more so if they are successful in signing Bud Holloway.

Left Wings (5): Dustin Brown, Matt Frattin, Bud Holloway, Kyle Clifford, Dwight King

Centers (4): Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards, Jarret Stoll, Colin Fraser

Right Wings (5): Justin Williams, Jeff Carter, Tyler Toffoli, Trevor Lewis, Jordan Nolan

If no forwards are moved by the start of training camp, the above 14 names will be the most likely ones to be on the opening night roster. What remains uncertain is how the lines will look on opening night.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:56 PM
jfont

Awards:
Lets roll out 4 lines...

Holloway/Kopitar/Brown
Clifford/Carter/Williams
Frattin/Richards/Toffoli
King/Stoll/Lewis

06-23-2013, 11:58 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont View Post
Lets roll out 4 lines...

Holloway/Kopitar/Brown
Clifford/Carter/Williams
Frattin/Richards/Toffoli
King/Stoll/Lewis
What is this I don't even....

Old
06-23-2013, 11:59 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I really like the added depth that the Kings have with Frattin in the picture. Even with the departure of guys like Penner and Richardson, the Kings still have a number of options for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines. This would be helped even more so if they are successful in signing Bud Holloway.

Left Wings (5): Dustin Brown, Matt Frattin, Bud Holloway, Kyle Clifford, Dwight King

Centers (4): Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards, Jarret Stoll, Colin Fraser

Right Wings (5): Justin Williams, Jeff Carter, Tyler Toffoli, Trevor Lewis, Jordan Nolan

If no forwards are moved by the start of training camp, the above 14 names will be the most likely ones to be on the opening night roster. What remains uncertain is how the lines will look on opening night.
To me, Holloway isn't the difference maker. If we're relying on Holloway or Frattin to fulfill our 2LW scoring deficiency, then we may be looking at another season without a cup. IMO, we need a legit 2LW. Heck, who knows, maybe Frattin can be our 2LW if he gets hot like he did early for TOR, but for now, I'd pencil in Frattin as our 3LW.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Carter is not playing center for LA unless Kopitar or Richards are injured.

Carter led the western conference in goals as a rw.

Stoll will be the 3C until his contact ends, then maybe Richards gets moved to the third line.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:09 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Carter is not playing center for LA unless Kopitar or Richards are injured.

Carter led the western conference in goals as a rw.

Stoll will be the 3C until his contact ends, then maybe Richards gets moved to the third line.
This would only happen if Lindey Vey earns the 2nd line job, which is very possible.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:12 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Why are people penciling Holloway into the lineup? He's not even signed...

Old
06-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
To me, Holloway isn't the difference maker. If we're relying on Holloway or Frattin to fulfill our 2LW scoring deficiency, then we may be looking at another season without a cup. IMO, we need a legit 2LW. Heck, who knows, maybe Frattin can be our 2LW if he gets hot like he did early for TOR, but for now, I'd pencil in Frattin as our 3LW.
I guess sometimes you can never predict who is going to emerge in that type of role. Look at Bryan Bickell in Chicago as an example. Who expected him to make this leap in Chicago's lineup? Sometimes having a role player put on a line with far more talented players accentuates their strengths, which is what we are seeing from Bickell and why he is going to get grossly overpaid by some over infatuated GM come July 5th.

Frattin could win that role, Holloway may or may not (depending on if he signs), but what we do know from those two is that they have been highly productive players pretty much everywhere they've played, it's now a matter of them translating this type of production to the NHL level. We saw it took years for guys like Moulson and Purcell to find that success, but it is possible if given the opportunity (and having talented linemates doesn't hurt either).

Old
06-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Reclamation Project
A Warm Place

I'm willing to bet a good chunk of money that Frattin blows Penner out of the water next year in the regular season and playoffs.

Closed Thread