HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eakins’ move to Oilers leaves big hole behind Marlies’ bench

Old
06-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsleaf View Post
Maybe just maybe Edm has not done well for the last many years because of the high draft picks they chose. Edm is a classic example of why you cannot build an NHL winner strictly through drafting high.
Little early to be writing off kids 21 and under as a failed rebuild plan..

Perhaps Eakins is the answer to Oilers problems in the past.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Personally I would not mind for TOR to pick up Krueger. I don't believe he was the problem behind EDM woes.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:37 AM
nsleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Little early to be writing off kids 21 and under as a failed rebuild plan..

Perhaps Eakins is the answer to Oilers problems in the past.
I am not writing any of them off. Just making the point that not all high draft picks pan out the way the team expects. It is not a given that high draft picks will succeed. Good luck to Eakins, perhaps he can help. Hope he succeeds(except against the Leafs of course)

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsleaf View Post
I am not writing any of them off. Just making the point that not all high draft picks pan out the way the team expects. It is not a given that high draft picks will succeed. Good luck to Eakins, perhaps he can help. Hope he succeeds(except against the Leafs of course)
Well Eakins has plenty to work with..

Taylor Hall (age 21) 45 games - 16-34-50 points is already putting up Phil Kessel (age 25) 48 games 20-32-52 points numbers based on last season.
&
Jordan Eberle (at age 22) 78 games 34-42-76 points was already putting up Phil Kessel (age 24) 82 games 37-45-82 points, based on 2011-12.

So two young players performing at Phil Kessel's level today, and that doesn't even take into account 2 X former 1st overall picks RNH and Nail Yakupov ages 19 and 18.

So as far as raw materials go, Eakins has an enviable wealth of young talent to work with in Edmonton. This for a coach that is good with young players and development there couldn't be a better opportunity for Eakins to utilize his talents.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Well Eakins has plenty to work with..

Taylor Hall (age 21) 45 games - 16-34-50 points is already putting up Phil Kessel (age 25) 48 games 20-32-52 points numbers based on last season.
&
Jordan Eberle (at age 22) 78 games 34-42-76 points was already putting up Phil Kessel (age 24) 82 games 37-45-82 points, based on 2011-12.

So two young players performing at Phil Kessel's level today, and that doesn't even take into account 2 X former 1st overall picks RNH and Nail Yakupov ages 19 and 18.

So as far as raw materials go, Eakins has an enviable wealth of young talent to work with in Edmonton. This for a coach that is good with young players and development there couldn't be a better opportunity for Eakins to utilize his talents.
Points don't matter to me. I want the Cup.

I could care less if Kessel puts up 60 points in the regular season if we get to the ECF next year.

It's a team game...right now the Oilers are just a bunch of kids and not much else.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Points don't matter to me. I want the Cup.

I could care less if Kessel puts up 60 points in the regular season if we get to the ECF next year.

It's a team game...right now the Oilers are just a bunch of kids and not much else.
That is where a coach comes into to play to take individual players and transform them into a winning team.

Where others have failed with Oilers embarrassing riches in abundance of youth and talent, Eakins is about to attempt to do as you say and produce a winning on ice product.

It must be the dream job for Eakins looking forward in anticipation of what might be possible provided this much underperforming talent as a team, but no shortage of individual success to mold into that winning team.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

I'm dissapointed to lose Eakins, but I wish him the best of luck.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote