HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hide your RFA defenseman from the Flyers.

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2013, 10:11 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
...if the Blues couldn't sign all of them, do you think he'd admit it publicly?
He'd just say nothing at all.

It really is cute reading all the Flyer fans' posts on here.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
I think you would have seen signs that money was an issue. May have tried to trade someone at the deadline, would be working quicker on getting these done, etc.

Let me ask you this, do you think he would trade for Jay Bouwmeester with absolutely no salary going back if there was even the SLIGHTEST chance that it would affect being able to sign Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk?

Old
06-09-2013, 10:26 AM
MISC*
Negged.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Jets have the richest owner in pro sports, and more than enough cap space. I don't think Bogosian will get an offer that would not be instantly matched.
Do the Jets spend to the cap?

Old
06-09-2013, 10:35 AM
fahad203

I have a feeling he'll go after Cody Franson. Right handed shot, really coming into his own. Played really physical in the playoffs. He's only 24 and big body. Pretty good skater.

Had 29 regular season points in just 45 games. In Playoffs, 6 points in 7. Not bad.

Leafs have some cap space if they buy out Komi and Connelly is finally off the books.

Carl Gunnerson is another reliable D who's also an RFA. If I'm Nonis, I would pay some attention to his RFA's.

Last edited by fahad203: 06-09-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Playoff Stats
Old
06-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
He'd just say nothing at all.

It really is cute reading all the Flyer fans' posts on here.
Cute?

Honestly, I've said from the start--here and on the Flyers boards, that this whole idea is absurd. Pietrangelo will absolutely get signed. I'm about 95 percent sure that Shattenkirk will as well, and the small chance that he doesn't is basically rooted in a the possibility that he wants Pietrangelo-like money, which he doesn't deserve.

In other words, the only way that the Flyers (or any team) could successfully offer sheet Shattenkirk is by paying him premium #1 D money--and thus screwing themselves.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Currently? No. In the future? Yes. They have a lot of CAP room right now, so it's not really an issue.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:59 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Currently? No. In the future? Yes. They have a lot of CAP room right now, so it's not really an issue.
The party line from ownership is that the Jets would be a mid cap team, and then spend to the cap to add the necessary pieces if/when Jets were getting close to contending. This was before the new CBA. The drop in the cap brings it down closer to the Jets "honey zone" where they can spend to the cap and still be profitable (not counting playoff revenue).

Old
06-09-2013, 11:01 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Cute?

Honestly, I've said from the start--here and on the Flyers boards, that this whole idea is absurd. Pietrangelo will absolutely get signed. I'm about 95 percent sure that Shattenkirk will as well, and the small chance that he doesn't is basically rooted in a the possibility that he wants Pietrangelo-like money, which he doesn't deserve.

In other words, the only way that the Flyers (or any team) could successfully offer sheet Shattenkirk is by paying him premium #1 D money--and thus screwing themselves.
It's cute that every time we logically state why it won't happen, you guys make some poor response trying to say we are wrong, despite you guys actually agreeing with us. That's cute and adorable to me.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Quote:
If we would have trouble fitting all those guys in, do you think we would have acquired J-Bo?

Old
06-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Robot View Post
Philly doesn't have the cap space to make a serious hardball offer for Petro or Shattenkirk so im not sure what the issue is. Any money saved by buying out Briere and Pronger will be immediately used to resign Schenn, Cout, Giroux next year and even then philly will have cap issues. There's no way for Holmgren to try and offer sheet someone else without causing the resign price on his RFA to sky rocket.
Dude, if we manage to sign Pietrangelo, we will cross the bridge of re-signing Couturier, Schenn and Read when we get to it. Timonen will retire and free up an additional $6M in cap space. Schenn probably won't get much of a raise on his already $3M+ cap hit. Giroux and Couturier will require raises, but nothing that won't be covered by $6M total per year. $3M more to Giroux would bring him to $6.75M. $3M more to Couturier will bring him to almost $5M, which he won't get. We might have to let go of Read, but it's worth it for Pietrangelo. Meszaros can easily be unloaded to free up another $4M. We will be fine.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:24 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Dude, if we manage to sign Pietrangelo, we will cross the bridge of re-signing Couturier, Schenn and Read when we get to it. Timonen will retire and free up an additional $6M in cap space. Schenn probably won't get much of a raise on his already $3M+ cap hit. Giroux and Couturier will require raises, but nothing that won't be covered by $6M total per year. $3M more to Giroux would bring him to $6.75M. $3M more to Couturier will bring him to almost $5M, which he won't get. We might have to let go of Read, but it's worth it for Pietrangelo. Meszaros can easily be unloaded to free up another $4M. We will be fine.
And your problems on defense are still there, you just change some names around.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:26 AM
avsfan89

Offer sheets may be matched, but it does screw up your internal budget when moron GM's over-offer on that contract.

As an Avs fan, I'm still reeling over Ryan O'Reilly's contract. People like Holmgren and Feaster must be thorns in every Gm's side.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
You would think St. Louis would let Shattenkirk walk a million times over before they even think about Pietrangelo. He's a true #1D you build your backend around.

I really can't even fathom anything Philly would realistically put forth in an offer for Alex that St. Louis would even think about.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
And your problems on defense are still there, you just change some names around.
Our defense problem is that we have no #1 defenseman because of Pronger's injury and Timonen's age. Pietrangelo would fill that huge whole. We would still have Schenn, Coburn, Grossmann, Gustafsson, etc. Potentially, we could have the following for next season (although I very much doubt we actually land Pietrangelo).

Coburn - Pietrangelo
Timonen - Schenn
Grossmann - Gustafsson

That is pretty ****in good.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH

vCash: 134
Honestly, with the change in contracts, I don't see the Flyers being able to pry any of the big names away without a huge overpayment, which will just handcuff them further and deplete their crappy prospect pool when they have to give up 4 1sts.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:33 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Our defense problem is that we have no #1 defenseman because of Pronger's injury and Timonen's age. Pietrangelo would fill that huge whole. We would still have Schenn, Coburn, Grossmann, Gustafsson, etc. Potentially, we could have the following for next season (although I very much doubt we actually land Pietrangelo).

Coburn - Pietrangelo
Timonen - Schenn
Grossmann - Gustafsson

Come on now use your brain there is a zero percent chance Philly gets Pietrangelo. The Blues will match anything thrown at Pietrangelo. The only hope they would have would be Shattenkirk and they would end up needing to give him number one defenseman money.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:34 AM
TheKingPin

Flyers should hope that one of these guys decides not to reup and then gets qualified for a year and hits UFA when we can sign them. But that would have happened with weber

Old
06-09-2013, 11:37 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:

Coburn - Pietrangelo
Timonen - Schenn
Grossmann - Gustafsson

Take Timonen out, you said he retired and that money was used to resign forwards.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:45 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Contract talks have already started with Bogosian, it would take a pretty ridiculous offer sheet for the Jets to not match. We're looking at locking him up for around 5.5 over 6-8 years.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Unless he scores 60+ points this season, B Schenn's cap hit should go down. Homer should sign him to a two year, $5 million bridge contract similar (but smaller than) the one PK Subban got since Subban is an obviously superior player.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Phillyfan28

Quote:
Take Timonen out, you said he retired and that money was used to resign forwards.
Your snide remarks are cute to me, whether he was unclear or you didnt follow, I will explain.
If we took Pie via offer sheet, he would be on the roster this year along with Timonen. After the upcoming season, Timonen would come off the books while his $$ is used to reup our rfa's.
Simple enough to understand imo

Old
06-09-2013, 11:55 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfan28 View Post
Your snide remarks are cute to me, whether he was unclear or you didnt follow, I will explain.
If we took Pie via offer sheet, he would be on the roster this year along with Timonen. After the upcoming season, Timonen would come off the books while his $$ is used to reup our rfa's.
Simple enough to understand imo
So you get a 1 year fix, then what? You wouldn't be good enough to win the Cup next season, you'd be without 1st round picks, and no prospects that could fill the hole IMO.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:14 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

I love how everyone says the Flyers don't have cap space

Buying out Briere, trading Mezsaros and putting Pronger on LTIR gives us roughly $13m in cap space. Hell, if we buy-out Bryz this summer (which I don't think will happen), we'll have $18.5m in cap space

So please, stop with the "Flyers don't have cap space to do anything" BS

Old
06-09-2013, 12:18 PM
SammyTheBull

Offer sheet A.Pie with max contract.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Prongo
Beer

The only realistic chance we have at Pietrangelo is if he and his agent are demanding too much from the Blues. They might not be comfortable giving him the length or money he is demanding. That really is the only chance the Flyers or any other team has to getting the Blues to trade him. We have the top young roster players(Couts) plus a nice pick(11th overall) and a couple of defender who can help replace the lose of Piety(Coburn/Mez/Grossman). Now I am not saying it happens, but I will not say it doesn't have a chance. Same thing with Weber last year. Never say never.

Closed Thread