HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Top 20 Defensive Defensemen - #8

View Poll Results: Top 20 Defensive Defensemen - #8
Oliver Ekman-Larsson 17 12.88%
Brent Seabrook 9 6.82%
Dan Hamhuis 25 18.94%
Victor Hedman 3 2.27%
Marc Staal 15 11.36%
Francois Beauchemin 4 3.03%
Jay Bouwmeester 1 0.76%
Zach Bogosian 2 1.52%
Jason Garrison 0 0%
Dan Girardi 3 2.27%
Dennis Seidenberg 4 3.03%
Marc-Edouard Vlasic 13 9.85%
Karl Alzner 4 3.03%
Josh Gorges 1 0.76%
Rob Scuderi 2 1.52%
Brooks Orpik 1 0.76%
Travis Hamonic 0 0%
Marc Methot 3 2.27%
Ladislav Smid 6 4.55%
Zbynek Michalek 0 0%
Braydon Coburn 0 0%
Erik Johnson 2 1.52%
Kevin Klein 0 0%
Erik Karlsson 9 6.82%
P.K. Subban 7 5.30%
Andy Greene 0 0%
Jonathan Ericsson 0 0%
Paul Martin 0 0%
Luke Schenn 1 0.76%
Niklas Hjalmarsson 0 0%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-09-2013, 06:05 PM
  #26
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 24,394
vCash: 500
Yes, crazy to think the defender who was talked about as arguably the best player in the game was only brought up for his offense... Lol, use logic people. Karlsson is phenomenal defensively when he is at 100%; anyone who saw him at the start of the year will tell you so.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 06:39 PM
  #27
g3ryder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Did Dion Phaneuf run over your dog or something?
Really? I'm so sick and tired of people complaining about the results of these polls. It's ridiculous. I don't think I've ever seen a list where people don't think it's terrible because their favorite player isn't on it.

There are 30 names to choose from, and at this point, only 13 more names will make the list, and eeeeeveryone wants to complain about why certain guys aren't on the list, even though they'll never make it in the top 20.

If your favorite player isn't on the list, there's probably a reason for it. As flawed as these lists may be, they are much better than one person's opinion. It's called consensus. They're far from perfect, I'll admit it, but at the end of the day, the results are not that bad.

I'll put Phaneuf on the next list, and then I'll hear people complain that he's even a choice. I just wish for one second, people wouldn't act like their opinions are the end all be all of these polls, and everyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

The results are the results, and only one name is added for each additional poll, so if your favorite player doesn't make the list, too bad.

g3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 06:47 PM
  #28
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Going Vlasic here barely over the other top vote getters

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:38 PM
  #29
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,387
vCash: 50
Imagine if the Preds still had Suter, Hamhuis and Franson with Weber.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:35 AM
  #30
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Imagine if the Preds still had Suter, Hamhuis and Franson with Weber.
Nashville is fantastic at developing defenders.

Roman josi could be the next top defender out of nashville

Orca Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:16 AM
  #31
Vankiller Whale
Bow down
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,104
vCash: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Imagine if the Preds still had Suter, Hamhuis and Franson with Weber.
Replace Franson with Timonen in the top-4.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:31 AM
  #32
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 5,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3ryder View Post
Really? I'm so sick and tired of people complaining about the results of these polls. It's ridiculous. I don't think I've ever seen a list where people don't think it's terrible because their favorite player isn't on it.

There are 30 names to choose from, and at this point, only 13 more names will make the list, and eeeeeveryone wants to complain about why certain guys aren't on the list, even though they'll never make it in the top 20.

If your favorite player isn't on the list, there's probably a reason for it. As flawed as these lists may be, they are much better than one person's opinion. It's called consensus. They're far from perfect, I'll admit it, but at the end of the day, the results are not that bad.

I'll put Phaneuf on the next list, and then I'll hear people complain that he's even a choice. I just wish for one second, people wouldn't act like their opinions are the end all be all of these polls, and everyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

The results are the results, and only one name is added for each additional poll, so if your favorite player doesn't make the list, too bad.
It's not really a matter of opinion, Dion Phaneuf was the backbone of a Leafs defense this year that lead to the team finishing with the 3rd highest regulation/overtime win percentage in the entire league, he faced the toughest opposition while being paired with AHL players for half the season (Kostka, Holzer) and still came out on top. If you think there are 38 defensemen in the NHL that are better than Dion Phaneuf defensively, you're wrong.

I appreciate you doing these polls and all, but if you're going to take that responsibility to try and create an objective poll series for the board, don't take it personally when people complain about you exhibiting poor judgement with who you choose to place on the poll.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:25 PM
  #33
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 18,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Nashville is fantastic at developing defenders.

Roman josi could be the next top defender out of nashville
Although most casual fans won't agree. Right now, Klein is probably better defensively than Hamhuis. Klein is a far better skater and is probably better positionally. Hamhuis hipcheck is better and is better with open ice hits, that's about it.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:47 PM
  #34
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Yes, crazy to think the defender who was talked about as arguably the best player in the game was only brought up for his offense... Lol, use logic people. Karlsson is phenomenal defensively when he is at 100%; anyone who saw him at the start of the year will tell you so.
First of all, nobody other then the Homers to end all Homers has ever considered Karlsson to be the best player in the world.


Secondly, his offensive instincts are the sole reason he is as good as he is. He is not phenomenal Defensively.


He might be slightly better then Average Defensively now, but he belongs nowhere on this list. He's not a Top 20 Dman Defensively.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:08 PM
  #35
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 24,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
First of all, nobody other then the Homers to end all Homers has ever considered Karlsson to be the best player in the world.


Secondly, his offensive instincts are the sole reason he is as good as he is. He is not phenomenal Defensively.


He might be slightly better then Average Defensively now, but he belongs nowhere on this list. He's not a Top 20 Dman Defensively.

Carolina Assistant Coach, Bob Mac, Craig Button all disagree.


Karlsson lead all players in takeaways 2 years in a row and this year before injury. He also outscored all major offensive players and they were a combined -16 this year against him with the like of Malkin, Giroux etc...(Credit to Hass for the info)


However, making large gaps between your posts


Won't help your argument and make you seem knowledgable.




Lol.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:12 PM
  #36
Machinehead
Moderator
Hanta Yo
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 43,675
vCash: 50
Ignoring offensive ability, I really don't get how Keith is 7th. And I'm a huge Keith fan. Overall? Yeah I definitely have Keith in the top 10. Defense only? Absolutely not.

Voted Vlasic here.

__________________

die fabelhafte linken Flügel (:
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:31 PM
  #37
g3ryder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
It's not really a matter of opinion, Dion Phaneuf was the backbone of a Leafs defense this year that lead to the team finishing with the 3rd highest regulation/overtime win percentage in the entire league, he faced the toughest opposition while being paired with AHL players for half the season (Kostka, Holzer) and still came out on top. If you think there are 38 defensemen in the NHL that are better than Dion Phaneuf defensively, you're wrong.

I appreciate you doing these polls and all, but if you're going to take that responsibility to try and create an objective poll series for the board, don't take it personally when people complain about you exhibiting poor judgement with who you choose to place on the poll.
First of all, is Dion Phaneuf the 8th best defensive defensemen in the league? No. So, if you look at it practically, him not being an option is essentially irrelevant.

Secondly, I personally don't know who the top 20 defensive defensemen in the league are. I have certain OPINIONS, but I'll be the first to admit that my list is no better than anyone else's on this board, so that's why I make a poll like this...to get consensus.

Thirdly, him not being a choice is more a matter of the feedback I've gotten from previous polls about who to add to the list. And, in addition to that, some of the names people have complained about (Erik Johnson, Braydon Coburn) were actually on the list made before the season, so to exclude them seemed a bit wrong.

I'm not taking it personally. I actually find it quite funny that in your immediate response to my post you did exactly what I complained about...assert your correctness, while saying how wrong I am because your favorite player isn't on the list. I probably should have included Phaneuf on the list of choices earlier, I'll admit that. But you know what? There are plenty of people on this board who have 0 problem with him not being a choice. And it all comes back to what my original response to you was all about...opinion. You have yours. I have mine. Every one on this board has theirs. And, at the end of the day, the closest we'll get to a "correct" opinion is consensus.

Phaneuf is on the next poll, and even though I have no problem with him being a choice (he probably should've been one sooner), I guarantee you there will be responses saying "Phaneuf? How is he even a choice? Are you crazy?" That's what my issue is with this whole board. If you disagree with something, awesome, but bring facts and defend your opinion, don't just disagree and call others an idiot because their opinion doesn't match yours.

I appreciate you bringing the facts you did on your second post, and just wish that would be done more often.

g3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.