HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) V

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 05:10 PM
evilstanley

vCash: 500
idono i think burrows would fit.

burrows/plex/a motivated bourque <-- cray line

Desharnais HAS to produce or were in trouble

as for lapierre? i dont mind the guy, i think he's matured. he def is a better overall player since he left the Habs a few years back. unless MB changes the center line on his lineup however, i dont see Laps playing anywhere else but on the wing.

also, whats the rap on Halpern? always liked the guy.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstanley View Post
idono i think burrows would fit.

burrows/plex/a motivated bourque <-- cray line

Desharnais HAS to produce or were in trouble

as for lapierre? i dont mind the guy, i think he's matured. he def is a better overall player since he left the Habs a few years back. unless MB changes the center line on his lineup however, i dont see Laps playing anywhere else but on the wing.

also, whats the rap on Halpern? always liked the guy.
He's 39.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:18 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I would take Lapierre back, but as others have said we'd need a few more guys willing to drop the gloves (and win).

waffledave
Old
06-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Schwang

Um... that's a big no on Lapierre. He's a headcase who could be an effective player but has not been able to do so. He's one of those guys that seems great at first but quickly wears out his welcome.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:54 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Ever notice that the majority of off-season discussion is about changes and additions to the 4th line?
I think that's because it is one place we need improvement and it is the easiest area to improve. A good fourth line should be tougher than White/Armstong and have a good face off guy.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:57 PM
TT1

philly just signed streit for 4 years @ 5.25M..

hf signing bickell folks

Old
06-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Make it happen, I'd have a reason to wear my Lappy t-shirt again.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Nor should he...for someone with no fighting ability and a star he fights too much already (10 in last 3 seasons).
I'm of the opinion that agitators should drop 'em. That's what's earned him and others like Lapierre a turtle reputation around the league, wether it's accurate or not.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Never cared for Lapierre, I don't have much love for these 'pesty' players who don't back up their mouths. I hope Subban takes that part of his game, and deletes it as well.
Agreed. Agitate and drop or keep your mouth shut and go about your business.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

I miss him.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:08 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Agreed. Agitate and drop or keep your mouth shut and go about your business.
Some guys seems to be pretty effective without dropping them. But usually there are others on the team to fight.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Fact is Lappy shouldn't been traded, for scraps at that.He didn't fit the JM/PG give peace a chance club...

I take him back yes I will...He is fast,cheap salary, and a good disturber ,and when the Habs add some beef this off season Lappy can do his job.....you never see many attack Brad Marchand Why??? You all know the answer...he can run around and be dirty as he wants...

Habs need to add the beef to surround the disturbers..
Marchand can and does handle himself quite well. Doesn't pick his spots, will go after bigger, tougher guys.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
Some guys seems to be pretty effective without dropping them. But usually there are others on the team to fight.
Yes, you're right. I guess it's a matter of team philosophy, or what you prefer. I personally like my agitors to drop if they have to, or even start it up. The problem I find with PK is that his agitator side almost becomes negated because he gets equally agitated. I guess it's not really a problem, but it's kind of a wash.

In any case, I don't think Bergevin should be considering Lapierre at all. If you do want to add a toughness dimension, that's a roster spot. Adding Lapierre would be another. I just don't think it's necessary nor is he the type of player that would make the team better. If anything, he'd put a bigger target on a small'ish team.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
andy28

Quote:
Yes, you're right. I guess it's a matter of team philosophy, or what you prefer. I personally like my agitors to drop if they have to, or even start it up. The problem I find with PK is that his agitator side almost becomes negated because he gets equally agitated. I guess it's not really a problem, but it's kind of a wash.
I really don't find PK much of an agitator. Not as much as he used to be. But, you're right, when he does try he does not seem very effective at it, so he probably should not do it. He seems to force a smile whenver he gets into a scrum with someone and loses. Lapierre was actually kind of good at it at times, because he didn't care about a tough guy image. He geniunely seemed to enjoy pissing people off. I never liked Lapierre much either, but I think not fighting in his case made him all the more effective. He would get challenged to fight and not take up the challenge, but it never bothered him. I don't think he felt emasculated about it. He was geniunely laughing at people when he pissed them off.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
I really don't find PK much of an agitator. Not as much as he used to be. But, you're right, when he does try he does not seem very effective at it, so he probably should not do it. He seems to force a smile whenver he gets into a scrum with someone and loses. Lapierre was actually kind of good at it at times, because he didn't care about a tough guy image. He geniunely seemed to enjoy pissing people off. I never liked Lapierre much either, but I think not fighting in his case made him all the more effective. He would get challenged to fight and not take up the challenge, but it never bothered him. I don't think he felt emasculated about it. He was geniunely laughing at people when he pissed them off.
It's entertaining for sure, I'm just not convinced it's effective

Old
06-17-2013, 06:25 PM
andy28

Quote:
It's entertaining for sure, I'm just not convinced it's effective
Well, I was no huge Lappy fan either, but he was effective at times. I was using him as a contrast with PK. The thing with PK is he knows what people say about him and I think he kinda cares so it upsets him when he has to back himself up and can't. That's why his agitating backfires and he gets agitated. PK gets into it with someone, gets the worst of it, another team's homecrowd cheers for him losing and he forces this big smile, but you can tell he feels small after. Lapierre could care less. He doesn't fight and doesn't care what people think of him.

Last edited by andy28: 06-17-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old
06-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
He's 39.
Not that it makes a huge difference, but Halpern is 37: born in May, 1976.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:50 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Tell that to the two stanley cup finalists. Boston is full of yappers and chicago have two of the most useful yappers in the game in Shaw and Bolland.

Agitating is a very effective part of playoff hockey. How can you forget what lapierre did in the Pittsburgh series in 09-10? I'd agree that the habs would need to get someone who can fight other than Prust for the regular season. Come playoffs time, having both lappy and subby pissing off the opposition (and gally pissing them off with his net driving), will only help this club advance.

Patrice Bergeron: We Used Lapierre’s Taunting As Motivation
June 7, 2011 1:10 PM

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/06/0...as-motivation/

We do not need nor want Lapierre on this team. If he wants to make a statement, go up and beat the **** out of Bergeron. What he did was a disgrace and helped the Bruins dominate the less physical Canucks.

Old
06-17-2013, 07:09 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

We do not need nor want Lapierre on this team. If he wants to make a statement, go up and beat the **** out of Bergeron. What he did was a disgrace and helped the Bruins dominate the less physical Canucks.
I don't want Lapierre back either. But I really don't know how much that helped them win. The fact is they won. What really helped the Bruins win was the fact that Luongo crapped the bad in a few of those games, while Thomas was aces.

Old
06-17-2013, 07:26 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:

Your definitive statements about players have a 0% hit rating. The garbage you spewed about Subban is only the tip of it - now you're using a sound-bite to dismiss a player?

You know who lost the Vancouver series for them? The Sedins playing like cowards. Kesler, Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis playing with massive injuries. The fact that they had absolutely no secondary scoring and Vigneault coached like an imbecile and didn't adjust a single thing, even though Edler literally couldn't pinch and keep the puck in because his rotator-cuff was all sorts mangled they insisted on their stupid cycle-play and uber-short shifts while Clode & company just stepped back and let them wear themselves out struggling to make two passes and sprinting off the ice.

But Bergeron's rip on Lapierre is what you focus on.

Get a grip.

Old
06-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:

Just remember,the Vancouver team that year was Soft as butter just like Montreal ...
Sure Bruins use tauntin as motivation,but if the Canucks had a hard nose team like Bruins,the Bruins wouldnt have been able to use anything as motivation.So yes Briins got mad and took over pillow softness in Vancouver.In the same way Prust's presence can't protect the Montreal Canadiens,he jumps in there and got big time guts,but it is goin to take more hardness in the line up to compliment ....The habs are still try to roll with a one man army.....just stupid.

Lappy on the Bruins for example...you get my point

Bring back Lappy,and get hardness into the line up......until then,were not goin no where.

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-17-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old
06-17-2013, 07:40 PM
andy28

Quote:
Just remember,the Vancouver team that year was Soft as butter just like Montreal ...
Sure Bruins use tauntin as motivation,but if the Canucks had a hard nose team like Bruins,the Bruins wouldnt have been able to use anything as motivation.

Lappy on the Bruins for example...
I think if Luongo hadn't let in so many soft goals the result would have been different.

Old
06-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Marchand can and does handle himself quite well. Doesn't pick his spots, will go after bigger, tougher guys.
Which universe? In this one, the Marchand you describe has 4 career NHL fights...less than half than a Subban who you in this thread felt is:
Quote:
not willing to drop them
Hmmmm...

Old
06-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
I think if Luongo hadn't let in so many soft goals the result would have been different.
Nucks found out they were just too soft...
Look what there gm does after that..tried to bring in toughness

Heck Penguins were too soft this year..
Montreal got beat down by the Sens in playoffs ......Toronto rocked them too..
Nyi beat them down bad few yrs ago too as did the Flyers...at what point do ya say enough?

To this day Montreal on a tough scale is 3.5-4 maybe

Old
06-17-2013, 07:54 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Sure Bruins use tauntin as motivation,but if the Canucks had a hard nose team like Bruins,the Bruins wouldnt have been able to use anything as motivation.So yes Briins got mad and took over pillow softness in Vancouver.In the same way Prust's presence can't protect the Montreal Canadiens,he jumps in there and got big time guts,but it is goin to take more hardness in the line up to compliment ....The habs are still try to roll with a one man army.....just stupid.

Lappy on the Bruins for example...you get my point

Bring back Lappy,and get hardness into the line up......until then,were not goin no where.
Havent seen you posting lately. Good to see you on the board again.

That is my point for posting that video. The hardass Bruins used that ignorant act by Lapierre as motivation and they rubbed (literally) their gloves in Lapierre's face. The Sedins were targeted by the Bruins after that. Thornton stepped up his physical game after that incident. It went downhill rather quickly.

The same holds true for Marchand. VERY effective on the Bruins team. Would be a waste of roster space on the present day Canadiens roster since he would be more of a liability.

If a player is going to talk **** and act like a fool, then he and the team better be ready to back it up. If not, those actions make for really crazy but stupid YouTube videos.

Closed Thread