HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dustin Byfuglien to Toronto.

Old
06-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Dustin Byfuglien to Toronto.

Looking at Toronto's roster, they need another top pairing D-man that can play the right side.

Looking at Winnipeg's Roster, they need (and chances are Jets fans will say i'm wrong) 2nd line winger, along with a 2nd pairing d-man.

So I'm thinking that a deal would be reachable between these two teams.

Gunnarson, Liles, Franson are all second pairing guys that can be moved (Gunner, Franson the two likely candidates) to fill the 2nd pairing hole (essentially Buff's replacement)

While, Matt Frattin and Nikolai Kulemin would be candidates to be moved to fill the winger hole.

So would a deal like Cody Franson, Matt Frattin, Stuart Percy and 3rd do it? Maybe a 2nd instead?

(Winnipeg Jets Top 6/Defense [Lines likely will be way off what they likely would be])

Ladd - Jokinen - Kane
Wheeler - Little - Frattin

Bogosian - Franson
Enstrom - Trouba
Clitsome - Hainsey

(Leafs D)

Phaneuf - Byfuglien
Gardiner - Gunnarson
Liles - Fraser

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:19 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Looking at Toronto's roster, they need another top pairing D-man that can play the right side.

Looking at Winnipeg's Roster, they need (and chances are Jets fans will say i'm wrong) 2nd line winger, along with a 2nd pairing d-man.

So I'm thinking that a deal would be reachable between these two teams.

Gunnarson, Liles, Franson are all second pairing guys that can be moved (Gunner, Franson the two likely candidates) to fill the 2nd pairing hole (essentially Buff's replacement)

While, Matt Frattin and Nikolai Kulemin would be candidates to be moved to fill the winger hole.

So would a deal like Cody Franson, Matt Frattin, Stuart Percy and 3rd do it? Maybe a 2nd instead?

(Winnipeg Jets Top 6/Defense [Lines likely will be way off what they likely would be])

Ladd - Jokinen - Kane
Wheeler - Little - Frattin

Bogosian - Franson
Enstrom - Trouba
Clitsome - Hainsey

(Leafs D)

Phaneuf - Byfuglien
Gardiner - Gunnarson
Liles - Fraser
If the Jets are trading Byfuglien, it won't be for another RHD. The only reason they have to trade him is because they have too many RHD. Also, this is a hand full of scraps for a star player - terrible value.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
If the Jets are trading Byfuglien, it won't be for another RHD. The only reason they have to trade him is because they have too many RHD. Also, this is a hand full of scraps for a star player - terrible value.
A guy who had 1 more point then Byfuglien is a scrap? Same with a 1st round pick from 2 years ago? and Matt Frattin? A kid that is ready to explode at any moment?

Heck, i'd be happy to keep those scraps

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Znith

vCash: 500
I'm not sure that Byfuglien would be a good pairing with Phaneuf. Very similar Dmen, both like to make the big hit, both will get out of position to do it, both have a booming point shot. I think we'd want someone more defensively responsible and consistent to play with Phaneuf.

Not to say that Buff isn't a good Dman, I think he is good for all those reasons listed above. I just don't see them having very good chemistry together.

Also, as a leafs fan even, that trade is robbery for the Leafs.

One idea though would be to have Gardiner play with Phaneuf and Rielly play with big buff...so they both have someone physical/nasty with them.

Znith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:33 AM
broc

Perhaps not scraps.
But a package of much lesser pieces ain't gettin you Buff...

broc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:53 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

That looks bad for the Jets

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:06 AM
sully1410

Make it Gunnarson and Percy + 3rd a first and Id consider it.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Seanahue

That's pretty bad value for Buff.

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Pass. I think the Jets could find a better deal elsewhere.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Inverted

Easy no from the Leafs. They have no use of Byfuglien.

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Duffman955

Leafs don't need a defenseman who barely plays defense.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
I agree, Duffman.

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
You mean like Franson? He's worse than Byfuglien on defence, lol

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:58 AM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

I would rather have Enstrom than Big Buff but I think Jets fans value him higher than Buff.

Kulemin and Gunnar cannot be moved either, so I don't see a deal working out.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Peter Petan
I Can Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Jets fans as usual overrating their players like there's no tomorrow. One guy wants Gunnarsson + Percy + 1st?! LOL. Byfuglien is mad overrated and def not a top pairing D-man on a good team.

Franson > Byfuglien

Franson out-produced him this year, and I like Franson better defensively. Even Buff's biggest strength (PP shot) is just as good if not better on Franson, who has one of the quickest releases from a point man I have ever seen.
If Franson is so good offensively, what is your reasoning for him not being one of the top 5 OFD's in the show? Byfuglien isnt going to win you games with his defensive prowess, but playing defence at the NHL level is a team effort and Enstrom's inability to lay the wood didn't do Buff any favors.

ps. Jets need more top-end talent, not 3 quarters for a loonie

Peter Petan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:11 AM
sully1410

To be fair...

I wanted Frattin, Gunnarson+ 1st. Re-reading that it may not have been clear, but I meant make Percy and the 3rd a first.

There is not a single one of us that actual believes Pavelec is even average...let alone top ten.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Gavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Lol scraps. Then I guess the jets team is made up of 90% scraps

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Phil Kessel "top 5 player in the league "

Nazem Kadri "should have won the Hart, future superstar center "

Morgan Rielly "best player from 2012 drafts will win multiple Norris tropheys "

Toronto Maple Leafs "would have won the cup had they got past Boston "

People in glass houses should not throw stones. Funny thing is half of what you posted is I'm pretty sure stuff you just made up, and a few of them are even true! Especially the Burmi/Buff ones
They are actual quotes I have seen Jets fans say on Hfboards in the past. I know we have our share of idiots who make outlandish statements too, but from my experience on here, Jets fans tend to overrate their players more than any other fanbase (except for maybe St.Louis Blue fans).

The Buff one was said in this very thread, and the Burmi one is from past trade proposal threads on here.

You guys got a sick D-core coming up, a future top 4 of Trouba-Bogosian, Enstrom-Buff will give teams nightmares. That will put Buff where he belongs and will excel on a good team... in a 2nd pairing role with extensive PP use. He is not a #1 D-man and will not return as much as you guys think in this thread.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:31 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
Lol scraps. Then I guess the jets team is made up of 90% scraps
I'm well aware that the Jets depth players couldn't be traded for star players just by bundling a few together. You don't seem to have had that realization.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:52 AM
sully1410

Quote:
They are actual quotes I have seen Jets fans say on Hfboards in the past. I know we have our share of idiots who make outlandish statements too, but from my experience on here, Jets fans tend to overrate their players more than any other fanbase (except for maybe St.Louis Blue fans).

The Buff one was said in this very thread, and the Burmi one is from past trade proposal threads on here.

You guys got a sick D-core coming up, a future top 4 of Trouba-Bogosian, Enstrom-Buff will give teams nightmares. That will put Buff where he belongs and will excel on a good team... in a 2nd pairing role with extensive PP use. He is not a #1 D-man and will not return as much as you guys think in this thread.
Think about what Goligoski and Burns returned and neither one are as good at what they do as Buff is.

The argument that Buff doesn't play Defense is false. He does. He is very positionally sound when he is actually playing D, however, he drives the play forward so well that he is spending 80-90% of the time on offense. If he's only spending a small amount of time does it matter if he sucks at it or not?

Old
06-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Really don't see the point in bringing in Buff to play him with Phaneuf seems like a poor move.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:06 PM
sully1410

Quote:

Except 3 of those players play the right side, hence the predicament.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:34 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
We need a Scuderi kind of guy, not Byuff. No thanks.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Please stay on-topic and discuss the trade proposal, not the teams' playoff chances.

06-09-2013, 01:00 PM
firstemperor

We don't really need Buff, it doesn't really make sense for us when our goal should be to target a Methot clone (Michalek, Scuderi type) that has a cheaper price tag and can be potentially more effective.

But realistically speaking, Leafs aren't going to give up what Jet fans were asking for Buff (JVR/ Gardiner in any straight up deal).

The most we'd offer is a package of Franson + or Frattin +. It's fair value for the Jets but it's not something I'd do on our side. Just doesn't make sense for us. Buff is somewhat redundant here and his fitness level is a headache no team would want to deal with. I can't imagine it being a fun environment for anyone if Buff pulled some of the things he did in Winnipeg in T.O.

To summarize, we don't need him and I don't think Nonis would be actively targeting a player like him. Especially with his rant about trading youth for older players, "high character", etc etc.

I love Bogosian though, but we all know the answer to that.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote