HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gauthier in Hindsight

Old
06-09-2013, 09:51 PM
JPGoHabsGo

vCash: 500
His hockey moves weren't always terrible. But he was a terrible choice to run an organization and was often short sighted, quick to change his mind, and too secretive. We definitely could have gotten more had we started a bidding war with Cammy.

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:03 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
I agree that we should ignore all the meh trades his two big trades were the Halak and Cammalleri ones. I think he came out pretty good with both of those.

Besides those he gave some picks away for players that were here for a short period of time but played well for us, but then re-aquired equivalent/better picks so overall that's a positive as well.

I don't think anyone considers his tenure great but it wasn't bad either. At the end of the day his best decision was probably throwing in the towel on the 2012 season and it cost him his job.
I still don't think the Halak trade was that good. Do you think Eller was acquired so he could produce 3 years later? I don't think that was Gauthier's plan. Still, I'm willing to give him a "+" for that deal.

The Cammy trade is still poor. I'm sorry. Bourque has 21pts in 65 games as a Hab. Hopefully the pick and prospect pan out, because that wasn't a good deal.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:54 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
April 2003 join date and you're still new as ****.
That **** is a pretty high ranking.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:12 AM
OneSharpMarble

So far MB looks like a mess, yes he hired a bunch of new coaches and Therrien looks alright but the Desharnais contract makes the Kaberle trade look like a dream and if Subban is angry over his treatment he may tell the team to kiss his ass. His trades have not been up to par for Bergevin but we will see how he handles the draft.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:01 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I still don't think the Halak trade was that good. Do you think Eller was acquired so he could produce 3 years later? I don't think that was Gauthier's plan. Still, I'm willing to give him a "+" for that deal.

The Cammy trade is still poor. I'm sorry. Bourque has 21pts in 65 games as a Hab. Hopefully the pick and prospect pan out, because that wasn't a good deal.
It is obvious that Eller was acquired with the future in mind.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:02 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
So far MB looks like a mess, yes he hired a bunch of new coaches and Therrien looks alright but the Desharnais contract makes the Kaberle trade look like a dream and if Subban is angry over his treatment he may tell the team to kiss his ass. His trades have not been up to par for Bergevin but we will see how he handles the draft.
Agreed on the relative merits of the kaberle and Dd situations.

Old
06-10-2013, 02:16 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
It is obvious that Eller was acquired with the future in mind.
The future was in mind, yes. But, he was expected to come in and contribute right away, which he did not. I still think coming off a "cup run", we should have gone in a different direction. I don't understand "future in mind" then signing an aging vet to a 4 year deal (Cole).

Old
06-10-2013, 02:17 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
I think the Cole/Ryder deal poops on anything Gauthier has done. That said, you're right about the DD deal. That was downright terrible. Along with playing hardball with PK.

Old
06-10-2013, 03:55 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
The future was in mind, yes. But, he was expected to come in and contribute right away, which he did not. I still think coming off a "cup run", we should have gone in a different direction. I don't understand "future in mind" then signing an aging vet to a 4 year deal (Cole).
There is no evidence that Eller was expected to contribute immediately.

Old
06-10-2013, 07:19 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
There is no evidence that Eller was expected to contribute immediately.
He said so.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:21 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
He said so.
He would say that either way.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:47 AM
danyhabsfan

Just my thought.

I wouldnt write the drafted player with the pick. Who know who we would have drafted with that pick?

June 25, 2010 - 1st round pick (Mark Visentin) in 2010 and a 2nd round pick (Oscar Lindberg) in 2010 traded to Phoenix Coyotes for a 1st round pick (Jarred Tinordi) in 2010 and a 4th Round pick (Mark MacMillan) in 2010
**** = Tinordi looks solid

It was the 27th pick and the 57th pick for the 22nd (to draft Tinordi)

Visentin and Lindberg are not really in the discussion.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:12 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

It's more than his moves that were lackluster. He genuinely didn't have a clue what he wanted to do with this team. Kept contradicting himself, and really, when you look at it, his moves have a whole did nothing to get the team towards any kind of identity.

We were going nowhere with him as a GM. It was time for a change.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
It's more than his moves that were lackluster. He genuinely didn't have a clue what he wanted to do with this team. Kept contradicting himself, and really, when you look at it, his moves have a whole did nothing to get the team towards any kind of identity.

We were going nowhere with him as a GM. It was time for a change.
Not to mentioned there were barely a handful of GM's in the league that would pick up the phone if he called. Good GM's have relationships with most GM's in the league, it was a known fact this putz had about 3 at the most.

Even when he went to trade Halak, a number of GM's said they never got a call, or new he was available.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Sorinth

Quote:

It's obvious that Eller was aquired because he had potential to be a top-6 center with size that we've lacked for years. No one was expecting him to be a top-6 player right away.

As for the Cammy trade. I agree that Bourque hasn't done that great to date but he definetly adds an element that we were missing in the top-6. Also Bourque brings more than just points, whereas Cammy only brought points. I'm sure he will continue to have his ups and downs during his time here but I think by the end he'll have more ups than downs. Plus the flexibility of saving 3m on the cap looks like it will be really important this offseason, plus everyone keeps saying that 2nd round pick is basically like a 1st round pick. Overall we got a good but not great return.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Not to mentioned there were barely a handful of GM's in the league that would pick up the phone if he called. Good GM's have relationships with most GM's in the league, it was a known fact this putz had about 3 at the most.

Even when he went to trade Halak, a number of GM's said they never got a call, or new he was available.
Maybe they shouldn't screen their calls quite so much

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
13 months into his tenure he's been voted by his peers as GM of the year candidate = looks like a mess? Hilarious comment with the context of your consistent and infallible defense of Gauthier's tenure/moves...including the Kaberle trade.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:42 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

I hate such bs like this, there is no way of proofing that, it could be true but none of what you said proofs anything, the guy has had a job in the league for what 30 years, the NHL is a old boys club, is a lot of ppl don't like you, your not getting hired. Heck Gauthier a job with Hawks after getting fired pretty fast.

Lmao at the Halak comment, if a GM didn't knew one of Price or Halak was going to get traded they shouldn't have a job, your thinking of the Cammy trade.

whether its good or not, Gauthier was the type of GM that would go after certain players he likes, instead just offering to everyone and taking what the best offer is. And he did that with Halak, Bob Mackenize reported that 4 teams had solid offers for Halak, San Jose, Tampa, Flyers, and Blues, and PG wanted Eller even though Blues were trying to keep Eller and give other assets.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:58 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
It's obvious that Eller was aquired because he had potential to be a top-6 center with size that we've lacked for years. No one was expecting him to be a top-6 player right away.

As for the Cammy trade. I agree that Bourque hasn't done that great to date but he definetly adds an element that we were missing in the top-6. Also Bourque brings more than just points, whereas Cammy only brought points. I'm sure he will continue to have his ups and downs during his time here but I think by the end he'll have more ups than downs. Plus the flexibility of saving 3m on the cap looks like it will be really important this offseason, plus everyone keeps saying that 2nd round pick is basically like a 1st round pick. Overall we got a good but not great return.

He was expected to play as a 3rd line center and put up points. This place was going nuts slotting Eller in for 30-40 points. Gauthier sold that to them. Going into year 4, 30 pts is his highest total. I'm a big fan of Lars, so I'm not slighting him. I just think at that point in time after going on a serious cup run, trading a piece like Halak for a prospect and another guy with 0 talent wasn't the greatest move. He didn't even shop Halak. Why not?

Still, lets say Gauthier was looking towards the future, then he's an even bigger idiot when you look at his other moves because it completely contradicts that. Again, I'm not going to ***** too much about it since Eller is turning into a good player.

What element does he add? He can hit and plays a physical game. He also is very inconsistent and has not scored anywhere near the rate he did in Calgary. Actually, he's on a downards clip when Cammy improved when he went to Calgary.

To say Bourque brings more than points and Cammy does not. Cammy was not acquired to crash and bang. He was acquired to be a sniper. I will take playoff Cammy over "brings other elements" Bourque any day of the week. As for the Cap talk. It is irrelevant when you consider the Kaberle trade and the Cole contract. Gauthier had no clue what he was doing.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:00 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I hate such bs like this, there is no way of proofing that, it could be true but none of what you said proofs anything, the guy has had a job in the league for what 30 years, the NHL is a old boys club, is a lot of ppl don't like you, your not getting hired. Heck Gauthier a job with Hawks after getting fired pretty fast.

Lmao at the Halak comment, if a GM didn't knew one of Price or Halak was going to get traded they shouldn't have a job, your thinking of the Cammy trade.

whether its good or not, Gauthier was the type of GM that would go after certain players he likes, instead just offering to everyone and taking what the best offer is. And he did that with Halak, Bob Mackenize reported that 4 teams had solid offers for Halak, San Jose, Tampa, Flyers, and Blues, and PG wanted Eller even though Blues were trying to keep Eller and give other assets.
That's what made the Gauthier hire such a .

I do think it's funny how you completely dismiss the poster's speculation but cling to your own speculation.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
That's what made the Gauthier hire such a .

I do think it's funny how you completely dismiss the poster's speculation but cling to your own speculation.
Which part is speculation on my post, the 4 teams where tweeted Bob Mackenzie, and there is an article ill get for you with Blues GM saying they tried to keep Eller.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:12 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Which part is speculation on my post, the 4 teams where tweeted Bob Mackenzie, and there is an article ill get for you with Blues GM saying they tried to keep Eller.
Speculation that Gauthier took the best deal or that you even knew all the teams involved.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Andy

Quote:
I've posted both links on this board many times. Kevin Allen also reported that the Habs wanted Patrice Cormier from Atlanta as a part of a deal for Halak but Dudley didn't want to pay the price as he thought it was too expensive. Cormier and Eller...it was clear that Gauthier was targetting young centres with size.

McKenzie also reported that the Flyers, Sharks and Tampa all made offers as well.

Last edited by Andy: 06-10-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:17 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Speculation that Gauthier took the best deal or that you even knew all the teams involved.
Philadelphia, San Jose and Tampa Bay were believed to also be strong suitors for Halak.

Said Blues GM Doug Armstrong "Gauthier honed in on a player (Eller) that we didn't want to give up"

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...er-and-schultz

The teams reported was from Mckenize original, I'm on my phone can't get the tweet

Old
06-10-2013, 11:19 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Btw I never said Gauthier took the best deal, I said be would go after certain players that he wanted like the case with Eller.