HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matt Read for Jonathan Bernier

Old
06-14-2013, 12:36 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
LA.

Jonathan Bernier

Alec Martinez

Prospect. Either Weal, Vey

Matt Read

Sean Couturier
----------------

If you think about it could possibly happen.

LA. Doesn't need bernier, or Martinez

Flyers. Need a goalie, and defense

LA. Signs or trades for another back up goalie.
Flyers need a top pairing defenseman. Martinez does not fill that need. How intent is LA to keep Bernier? If they worry about his cap hit, his value may not be as high as you might think.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:37 PM
GrindNMuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I'm positive that Couturier prevents more goals than Martinez ever will.
That's awful.
Couturier, 15 points last season.

Marinez a defensemen what 4 or 5 points?

If LA loses Penner they need atleast Matt Read or Couturier.

Couturier, Still a young player, hes big. LA likes that.

GrindNMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

And Bernier will sign to play as a starter for 3.36? More likely you need to make a 3.5or higher if you want him as a starter. His agent is not that dumb. Give me the first and third... keep Read. LA will gladly sign Read as a UFA next season, if we still need a 3rd liner.

BTW Last time we traded our first we got a 50 goal scorer

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:38 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak View Post
If that's what has to be done, that's what will happen. If Bernier is smart he won't sign an offer sheet for that amount.
So, I'm no LA Kings-cap-situation-expert, but isn't it going to be pretty tough to ice a full roster with Bernier @ $3.3m and a resigned Voynov?

And why wouldn't Bernier sign that offer?
He certainly won't get more right now.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:39 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
If that's what has to be done, that's what will happen. If Bernier is smart he won't sign an offer sheet for that amount.
Could you elaborate on this because it would probably be smarter for him to sign an offer sheet if LA is unwilling to trade him. While he's not demanding a trade or anything, the guy wants a chance to start in the NHL and he's not going to get that chance in LA with Quick in the picture.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
So, I'm no LA Kings-cap-situation-expert, but isn't it going to be pretty tough to ice a full roster with Bernier @ $3.3m and a resigned Voynov?

And why wouldn't Bernier sign that offer?
He certainly won't get more right now.
Its going to be tight, but not as bad as some think with Penner coming off the books and Mitchell likely going on IR.

Bernier wouldn't sign it because he wants to be a starter, and at that price, the Kings keep him as their backup.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:41 PM
drums4dmf

Quote:
LA.

Jonathan Bernier

Alec Martinez

Prospect. Either Weal, Vey

Matt Read

Sean Couturier
----------------

If you think about it could possibly happen.

LA. Doesn't need bernier, or Martinez

Flyers. Need a goalie, and defense

LA. Signs or trades for another back up goalie.
IF and that's a big if Philly bites they'll definitely want Vey who is the Kings best prospect since Toffoli isn't really prospect anymore. Also, Holmgren may want to replace AMart w/ Muzzin. I'm a Couturier fan in all but the Kings need a LWer desperately. I think he's played a little LW, Philly fans can you elaborate? Cheers..

drums4dmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:43 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Couturier, 15 points last season.

Marinez a defensemen what 4 or 5 points?

If LA loses Penner they need atleast Matt Read or Couturier.

Couturier, Still a young player, hes big. LA likes that.
It's more about the statement that the Flyers need defense, which won't be improved by trading Couturier. Especially not for Alec ****ing Martinez.
And yeah, of course, since LA won't resign Penner we have to deal them Couturier. You want fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats26 View Post
And Bernier will sign to play as a starter for 3.36? More likely you need to make a 3.5or higher if you want him as a starter. His agent is not that dumb. Give me the first and third... keep Read. LA will gladly sign Read as a UFA next season, if we still need a 3rd liner.

BTW Last time we traded our first we got a 50 goal scorer
He won't get more from LA and I don't see any team handing out more than $3.5m without seeing what he can do behind their respective team. $3.3 should be enough on a two-year deal.
Obviously you would take our first and third. The Flyers are picking at 11, there's no way Bernier is going to return that kind of package.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:44 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Its going to be tight, but not as bad as some think with Penner coming off the books and Mitchell likely going on IR.

Bernier wouldn't sign it because he wants to be a starter, and at that price, the Kings keep him as their backup.
What has Bernier done so far to justify a salary higher than $3.3M or whatever it takes to get a 1st and 3rd compensation? Plus, does Bernier and his future not matter into this equation at all? Holding him hostage because you don't like the return... he's gonna love that.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:44 PM
GrindNMuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Flyers need a top pairing defenseman. Martinez does not fill that need. How intent is LA to keep Bernier? If they worry about his cap hit, his value may not be as high as you might think.
Flyers Defensive

Coburn- Good, Staying (5 points)
Foster-(Optional) (5 points)
Gervais- Trade him (6 points)
Grossmann- Optional (4 points)
Gustafsson- Keep (8 points)
Huskins- Let him go (1 point)
Lauridsen- NHL-AHL (3 ponts)
Meszaros- Trade (2 points)
Pronger- Gone/sitting (N/A)
Luke Scheen- Keep (11 points)
Streit- Sign him (27 points NYI)
Timonen- Keep (29 points)

------ Martinez 5 points.

Flyers can sign, either Ian White, Clowe, Boyes, Cleary, Stalberg, Anyone if they get rid of Meszros, Bryz,

Old
06-14-2013, 12:48 PM
dookie88

Quote:

According to capgeek you have $11m in cap space with 4 defenders and 8 forwards signed. Toffoli and any other prospects who could make the jump are not listed, so this won't be very accurate but depending on how much Voynov is going to demand I don't think you could ice a full roster with Bernier @ $3.3m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Standings View Post
IF and that's a big if Philly bites they'll definitely want Vey who is the Kings best prospect since Toffoli isn't really prospect anymore. Also, Holmgren may want to replace AMart w/ Muzzin. I'm a Couturier fan in all but the Kings need a LWer desperately. I think he's played a little LW, Philly fans can you elaborate? Cheers..
The Flyers are not trading Couturier for a goaltender who's not a sure-fire starting goaltender. To risky and with Mason showing promise, there really shouldn't be the kind of urgency it would require to make the decision to deal Couturier.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
What has Bernier done so far to justify a salary higher than $3.3M or whatever it takes to get a 1st and 3rd compensation? Plus, does Bernier and his future not matter into this equation at all? Holding him hostage because you don't like the return... he's gonna love that.
The Kings have every right to keep Bernier in their system until they get what they want in return. Last summer, Lombardi said that Bernier was too valuable to the team to give up for nothing, and he was proven right. Without Bernier, the Kings probably don't make the playoffs this year.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
According to capgeek you have $11m in cap space with 4 defenders and 8 forwards signed. Toffoli and any other prospects who could make the jump are not listed, so this won't be very accurate but depending on how much Voynov is going to demand I don't think you could ice a full roster with Bernier @ $3.3m.
Does that number include Mitchell?

Old
06-14-2013, 12:52 PM
dookie88

Quote:
The Kings have every right to keep Bernier in their system until they get what they want in return. Last summer, Lombardi said that Bernier was too valuable to the team to give up for nothing, and he was proven right. Without Bernier, the Kings probably don't make the playoffs this year.
I get that you don't want to trade Bernier for the 41th pick, because that's what it essentially would mean by accepting the OS. The whole point, though, is that you might not have a choice, depending on Voynov's extension.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Quote:
It's more about the statement that the Flyers need defense, which won't be improved by trading Couturier. Especially not for Alec ****ing Martinez.
And yeah, of course, since LA won't resign Penner we have to deal them Couturier. You want fries with that?

He won't get more from LA and I don't see any team handing out more than $3.5m without seeing what he can do behind their respective team. $3.3 should be enough on a two-year deal.
Obviously you would take our first and third. The Flyers are picking at 11, there's no way Bernier is going to return that kind of package.
Well after seeing the disaster after disaster in nets for philly, I am sure Bernier and his agent will jump for joy at a 3.3 offer to play there. An offer is just an offer, he and his agent have to agree on it, then LA can match. It's not the best place for him unless philly shores up their D.

Glad to know you will be out of the playoffs again. The compensation picks are 1st and 3rd for 2014!

Old
06-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Pretty good trade. Better for the Flyers IMO but still pretty fair.

Wouldn't be surprised if this went through.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:55 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Does that number include Mitchell?
Just checked it.
No it doesn't. If you buy him out / if he goes on LTIR it's ~$15m in cap space.
Well, $3.3 won't do it, probably.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:57 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats26 View Post
Well after seeing the disaster after disaster in nets for philly, I am sure Bernier and his agent will jump for joy at a 3.3 offer to play there. An offer is just an offer, he and his agent have to agree on it, then LA can match. It's not the best place for him unless philly shores up their D.

Glad to know you will be out of the playoffs again. The compensation picks are 1st and 3rd for 2014!
For real?

Old
06-14-2013, 12:58 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Haha yeah I must have dreamed about the trades he has made since the Weber offer sheet.
So a team that wasn't good enough to warrant buying at the deadline but wasn't bad enough to really sell anything only makes 1 noteworthy deal and that proves your theory? Huh?

You act like Weber gate was 5 years ago. It was last July. We haven't even seen an offseason yet. NHL GMs aren't 8-year old girls - they don't blackball each other for doing something that's allowed in the rules.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:59 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
While LA has every right to keep Bernier, does he and his agent not have any input into this? While his options are limited because he's a RFA, he's going to be willing to possibly take less money so he can sit on his ass for another season or two or three in LA? I didn't realize players were obligated to help out their team and show loyalty despite harming their own future.

This isn't all about what LA wants to do, it also involves the player. He doesn't have to sign if he's not happy with the situation.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:02 PM
GrindNMuck

Line up.

Williams-Kopitar-Brown

Carter-Richards-Tofolli

Clifford/couturier-Stoll-Read

Nolan/Lewis/-Fraser-King

Am i missing someone???

D.

Regehr-Doughty

Muzzin-Voynov

Mitchell-Greene

G.

Starter- Quick

Backup- N/A Theodore? Emery? Nabokov?

Old
06-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
While LA has every right to keep Bernier, does he and his agent not have any input into this? While his options are limited because he's a RFA, he's going to be willing to possibly take less money so he can sit on his ass for another season or two or three in LA? I didn't realize players were obligated to help out their team and show loyalty despite harming their own future.

This isn't all about what LA wants to do, it also involves the player. He doesn't have to sign if he's not happy with the situation.
Bernier doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do. But if he signs an offer sheet, and the Kings think the compensation isn't enough, they will match. As is their right. Which is why I said it would be smart of him not to sign an offer sheet with a compensation of a 2nd round pick.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:10 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Bernier doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do. But if he signs an offer sheet, and the Kings think the compensation isn't enough, they will match. As is their right. Which is why I said it would be smart of him not to sign an offer sheet with a compensation of a 2nd round pick.
Why is it smart for him to not sign a 2nd round compensation offer sheet? I am having a hard time seeing him and his agent justifying a salary higher than $3.3M with his body of work and in this goalie market. Plus, what does it matter for him what he signs for? Is the future of the Kings #1 on his priority list? I don't think so. He wants to play and not sit on his ass.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Is the future of the Kings #1 on his priority list? I don't think so. He wants to play and not sit on his ass.
That is exactly my point. Signing that offer sheet is only going to ensure he plays behind Quick for another year.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Quote:
Why is it smart for him to not sign a 2nd round compensation offer sheet? I am having a hard time seeing him and his agent justifying a salary higher than $3.3M with his body of work and in this goalie market. Plus, what does it matter for him what he signs for? Is the future of the Kings #1 on his priority list? I don't think so. He wants to play and not sit on his ass.
Ok your not getting it. Bernier will be told by his agent that LA will match under 3.36 because DL will not let him go for a second round pick. So his agent will try to get the offer over the 3.36 mark so now we have a first and third in play. If you want Bernier is will cost u a 3.37+ offer and 2014 1st and 3rd.

BTW Read for Bernier was rejected by the Kings during the season.