HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Stop-gap options at center.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:52 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Danny Briere. Veteran leader and playoff stud. Armstrong has already shown interest in the past, and I assume is still interested if the price was right.
Briere hasnt played C in a couple years, not sure if he would be the answer.

As for Weiss, Id love to get him but he will cost a lot with many teams looking for help at the same position, not to mention he is coming off a serious injury, dont remember what it was but I know he missed practically the whole year

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Stop gap implies we have someone waiting in the wings. We don't and won't. #1 or nothing at all.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:43 PM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
Stop gap implies we have someone waiting in the wings. We don't and won't. #1 or nothing at all.
No, it means we would acquire a top guy at a later point (Example: Stastny next summer.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:26 PM
shifting

If Weiss gets bid up this season in FA, Stastny definitely will next season.

If we don't trade for one, this team will have a very tough time winning anything in the postseason.

We have a ton of very good to great two way wingers, and some prospects. We may have to overpay for the Center we need.

shifting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:17 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
If Weiss gets bid up this season in FA, Stastny definitely will next season.

If we don't trade for one, this team will have a very tough time winning anything in the postseason.

We have a ton of very good to great two way wingers, and some prospects. We may have to overpay for the Center we need.
I think this is very true, there are very few teams who arent looking for a #1C, if you dont draft one your going to have to pay a big price for one, and Im willing to do that as long as its the right guy.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:33 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
I think this is very true, there are very few teams who arent looking for a #1C, if you dont draft one your going to have to pay a big price for one, and Im willing to do that as long as its the right guy.
I agree I just don't see the right guy that may be available currently.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:06 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Armstrong was very patient (maybe too patient, but its hard to say with no concrete knowledge about what the team cap and resources were) in obtaining a top pairing LHD. I get the impression he coveted Bouwmeester for a long time, but he made offers and kicked the tires on other deals.

I think this team is close. 2 points off Presidents Trophy 2 seasons ago, and 3rd best points in the West this past season. So, it makes little sense to go to drastic measures to get a center, if the price is too high.

Has he already made up his mind on someone that needs to go? If anyone, I think he has done this with Halak. Are any forwards in that group? Berglund? Stewart? I've seen nothing that gives me the idea there is a troubled forward he HAS to move. Although I believe he'll be willing to part with more than one guy if its part of a deal to make the team better.

Is that going to be happening this off-season? Unclear. Lehtera probably was slated in as a roster center, so you'd think they need to replace that in the line-up, but that's a 2/3 center position, not the 1C. There become more options if that's his target (and I believe it is). Maybe a 1C is a deadline trade/rental type of picture. But I have a hard time picturing some blockbuster trade that gets the Blues a center who could displace Backes on the first line.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Alklha

I really don't see us to be looking for a stop-gap solution. Sobotka is that, and we need to be looking for an upgrade.

This idea about picking Stastny up next year isn't realistic; you don't built teams on maybes. Armstrong has to be looking for ways to improve the team in the long term now. Stastny being an UFA in a year shouldn't be entering his mind unless he is in discussions with Colorado.

The LHD situation took ages to resolve, but the ownership was only sorted towards the end of last season and then we have the lockout looming last summer... that was understandable. We can't "waste" any more years not going out and addressing our needs aggressively. Whether we do it in the summer or towards to trade deadline next season, it absolutely has to be addressed before the playoffs next season.

I wouldn't take things that Armstrong says in interviews as absolutes either.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I really don't see us to be looking for a stop-gap solution. Sobotka is that, and we need to be looking for an upgrade.

This idea about picking Stastny up next year isn't realistic; you don't built teams on maybes. Armstrong has to be looking for ways to improve the team in the long term now. Stastny being an UFA in a year shouldn't be entering his mind unless he is in discussions with Colorado.

The LHD situation took ages to resolve, but the ownership was only sorted towards the end of last season and then we have the lockout looming last summer... that was understandable. We can't "waste" any more years not going out and addressing our needs aggressively. Whether we do it in the summer or towards to trade deadline next season, it absolutely has to be addressed before the playoffs next season.

I wouldn't take things that Armstrong says in interviews as absolutes either.
While I agree with most of this to some degree, we have to realize that Army might try and fail or there might not be that player available without severe over payment. If he fails at the aforementioned and thinks he can improve the team by getting a #3 center, then he will probably try to go that route.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
While I agree with most of this to some degree, we have to realize that Army might try and fail or there might not be that player available without severe over payment. If he fails at the aforementioned and thinks he can improve the team by getting a #3 center, then he will probably try to go that route.
I tend to agree with this line of thinking - I think our chances of getting "depth at center" are much better than finding a #1C, since as others have mentioned, many other teams are also looking for a 1C.

I'm also a big fan of thinking outside the box and would be more interested in finding a Center who was either:

1. The "odd man out" who has trouble cementing a solid roster spot; or
2. A guy who's been told he's no good anymore and now has something to prove and would play with a chip on his shoulder.

For the first category, I look at a guy like Jordan Schroeder.
For the second category, I look at a guy like Tim Connolly.

Stop-gaps, right?

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:10 PM
thedustman

vCash: 169
lecavalier?

thedustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustman View Post
lecavalier?
If he gets bought out but he will still get $5 mil a year on the open market and the Blues can't pay that.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
If he gets bought out but he will still get $5 mil a year on the open market and the Blues can't pay that.
If Lecavalier does end up getting bought out perhaps he takes less money to play on a contending team like us? One can only hope though, I think Lecavalier would be a nice fit on our roster.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:46 AM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
If Lecavalier does end up getting bought out perhaps he takes less money to play on a contending team like us? One can only hope though, I think Lecavalier would be a nice fit on our roster.
That's wishful thinking, how would you like to be getting paid $10mil a year to signing something that would have to be around $3mil a year. Cup contender or not, Vinny will not move to St. Louis and make 7 million less a year just to hope to win a cup with a team that has never won a cup in franchise history and is also not known to throw out the big bucks. But I would love to see Vinny on this team, love him as a player.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:18 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
That's wishful thinking, how would you like to be getting paid $10mil a year to signing something that would have to be around $3mil a year. Cup contender or not, Vinny will not move to St. Louis and make 7 million less a year just to hope to win a cup with a team that has never won a cup in franchise history and is also not known to throw out the big bucks. But I would love to see Vinny on this team, love him as a player.
I don't see it happening either but that's just me.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Kiss My Rask
Loui Loui, ohhh no

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Whether through free agency or a trade, what are some stop-gap options that you wouldn't mind seeing. I think the two I would like the best would be Peverley or Cullen. Any other names or ideas?
We need cap relief, what would you guys give us for Peverley

Kiss My Rask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill Dangle For You View Post
We need cap relief, what would you guys give us for Peverley
3rd rounder + Tyler Shattock
or
4th rounder + Ryan Tesink, Phil McRae, Jori Lethra, or Bret Ponich

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 06:46 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Maybe a Stewart for Nielsen+ deal could happen.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 11:10 PM
BBSuns

If the price is right, Stephen Weiss would be the perfect fit for this team

BBSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 11:44 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

What kind of center are you guys looking for? Would you have any interest in Plekanec or Desharnais?

Plekanec might cost something significant, but Desharnais would probably not cost much at all.

What are you guys willing to part with?

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 11:45 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSuns View Post
If the price is right, Stephen Weiss would be the perfect fit for this team
Yeah, but it won't be right.

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 12:02 AM
thedustman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
What kind of center are you guys looking for? Would you have any interest in Plekanec or Desharnais?

Plekanec might cost something significant, but Desharnais would probably not cost much at all.

What are you guys willing to part with?
i know some blues fans would not want desharnais, but i would love him on this team. i'd take him and and the 25th pick and the habs could have halak back

Old
06-24-2013, 12:14 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustman View Post
i know some blues fans would not want desharnais, but i would love him on this team. i'd take him and and the 25th pick and the habs could have halak back

Yea, I don't think that deal would work. Desharnais for Roman Polak and Ryan Reaves might make sense, we need a solid right D with size, and a tough guy. We could throw in Moen too.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 12:36 AM
thedustman

Quote:

Yea, I don't think that deal would work. Desharnais for Roman Polak and Ryan Reaves might make sense, we need a solid right D with size, and a tough guy. We could throw in Moen too.
seriously though, i would like desharnais. reaves isnt leaving the blues and we dont need moen. while polak for desharnais seems fair to me in value, i don't think the blues would do it. i am trying to find other pieces to make the deal plausible but i am coming up empty handed

Old
06-24-2013, 03:02 AM
BlueDream

Quote:

No. Blues have zero interest in that midget Desharnais, especially not for our toughness.

Plekanec is the only center on Montreal that makes sense for us.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote