HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Power Skater

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Sammy*

vCash: 500
The Power Skater

Its a peice of equipment I am thinking of getting for my son who is 9. In theory, it helps develop good skating technique. Has anyone ever used it or knows anyone who has & does it work?

Old
04-28-2005, 09:38 AM
MikeS

Is that anything like the Skate-Mill?

Sounds like the hockey-specific (or skating-specific) piece of equipment I have been looking for too. I'd like to hear what experiences anyone has had with it...

Last edited by MikeS: 04-28-2005 at 09:41 AM. Reason: to add hyperlink
Old
04-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS
Is that anything like the Skate-Mill?

Sounds like the hockey-specific (or skating-specific) piece of equipment I have been looking for too. I'd like to hear what experiences anyone has had with it...
Not really. Here is the guy (& below that, a girl) doing their thing on the power skater:
http://www.powerskater.com/strength.htm

Here is the website itself:
http://www.powerskater.com/index.htm

Old
04-29-2005, 12:06 AM
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Not really. Here is the guy (& below that, a girl) doing their thing on the power skater:

Wow this is quite different from what I had seen. Reminds me a little of the Heiden Slide Board too...

Old
04-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Pensfan86

Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
get him lessons with a figure skating coach instead of some machine, im not kidding either, you will be shocked at how good he will become, it truly worked for me. also, by looking at the machine, does anyone think that the way the feet are set up initially that it might potentially cuase some problems? i mean, your feet should technically be like facing forward, not outward like they are in the picture

Old
05-01-2005, 02:13 AM
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensfan86
get him lessons with a figure skating coach instead of some machine, im not kidding either, you will be shocked at how good he will become, it truly worked for me. also, by looking at the machine, does anyone think that the way the feet are set up initially that it might potentially cuase some problems? i mean, your feet should technically be like facing forward, not outward like they are in the picture
Feet looked fine to me. Looked like Laura Stamm's power skating stance...

Old
05-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensfan86
He goes to power skating. It will be supplementing that, basically to try & improve the stride & posture (its a very hard thing to get a kid to improve his posture while on the ice).

Old
05-01-2005, 10:56 AM
MikeS

Quote:
(its a very hard thing to get a kid to improve his posture while on the ice).
tough for adults too

Old
05-01-2005, 11:28 AM
WVP

Quote:

I doubt I'd want to use that thing if I was 9 years old. But if your kid is willing to use it regularly, I'd say go for it.

Old
05-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVpens
I doubt I'd want to use that thing if I was 9 years old. But if your kid is willing to use it regularly, I'd say go for it.
Oh , I agree with you. I have to be very judicious in trying to get him on it & then, it will have to be for very short periods of time lest he starts to hate it too much. I do have some optomisim though given that at the start of the year he hated power skating & now he kinda looks forward to it.
I think maybe a chocolate bar just out of reach while he is on the power skater may do the trick.

Old
05-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Grave77digger

Old
05-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Pensfan86

Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS
Feet looked fine to me. Looked like Laura Stamm's power skating stance...

no doubt that is what a good starting position would look like, standing on your toes with your skates making a V basically...but without question your feet should not look like that when you are completeing a stride, they should be facing forward, otherwise it will take away from your speed

Old
05-27-2005, 10:28 PM
jaywills1020

your son is too young to be training like that. let him grow up a little bit and develop first.

Closed Thread