HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kris Letang

Old
06-14-2013, 09:54 PM
blinkman360
Norris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Just trying to feel the waters as to what people would give up for Letang.

Post what the best trade your team could give in your opinion
I'll lay it out again(NYI):

Andrew MacDonald(young, top-4 D...signed for peanuts and should be a cheap extension)
Nino Niederreiter(big, high-end goal-scoring LW prospect who is NHL ready)
2013 1st(15th overall, a chance at one of Domi/Lazar/Horvat/Zykov)

for an UN-signed Kris Letang... with no extension agreed upon(which I believe is probably the case assuming a trade is attempted at the draft) I don't see the Pens getting this kind of value elsewhere. As an Isles fan it would kill me to give this kind of package up, but the idea of pairing Letang with Reinhart for the long-term is pretty attractive.

That said, if Carolina actually offers that 5th overall+Murphy+Pitkanen package I'd say the Isles are **** out of luck...

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:57 PM
DrDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
Carolina would love to take Letang off your hands.

Letang

for

Pitkanen, Murphy, 5th overall

Here's a trade similar to the Jordan Staal deal. Of course, a bigger star requires better assets. Pitkanen is a 1b defenseman... WHEN HeALTHy!!! He's soft, but has a solid two way game for a PMD only making 4.5 million through next year. Ryan Murphy has the potential of Letang lite, and floor of Marc-Andre Bergeron (I see more of the former than the latter). Finally the 5th overall will allow your team to draft an upcoming superstar on an ELC.

I could easily see this trade backfire on the Hurricanes, but the Malkin extension has made it that much easier to fulfill our instant gratification.
This would be nice if Carolina had a more appealing D than Pitkanen. Would Mcbain work instead?

Mcbain + Murphy + 5th for Letang? Maybe add a small + to Letang. I would be thrilled if we could land Drouin or Nichushkin. (although Shero would just draft another defenseman)

DrDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:59 PM
DrDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post

Andrew MacDonald(young, top-4 D...signed for peanuts and should be a cheap extension)

for an UN-signed Kris Letang... with no extension agreed upon(which I believe is probably the case assuming a trade is attempted at the draft) I don't see the Pens getting this kind of value elsewhere. As an Isles fan it would kill me to give this kind of package up, but the idea of pairing Letang with Reinhart for the long-term is pretty attractive.

That said, if Carolina actually offers that 5th overall+Murphy+Pitkanen package I'd say the Isles are **** out of luck...
If Letang is going within the division there would have to be a significant piece coming back, like Hamonic. It's basically a non-starter.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:58 PM
BigBenSF*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDangles View Post
This would be nice if Carolina had a more appealing D than Pitkanen. Would Mcbain work instead?

Mcbain + Murphy + 5th for Letang? Maybe add a small + to Letang. I would be thrilled if we could land Drouin or Nichushkin. (although Shero would just draft another defenseman)
The one defenseman I would want from the Canes is Faulk.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
The one defenseman I would want from the Canes is Faulk.
The 1 defenseman the Hurricanes better resign for 8years is Faulk.

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:05 PM
BigBenSF*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
The 1 defenseman the Hurricanes better resign for 8years is Faulk.
Exactly. The guy is a stud and would be a must in a deal that sends Letang to Carolina, but I understand why Canes fans wouldn't want to let him go.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Exactly. The guy is a stud and would be a must in a deal that sends Letang to Carolina, but I understand why Canes fans wouldn't want to let him go.
I don't wont the deal for Letang to Carolina.

The only way we land a top 4 D is to trade a top 6 forward.

Faulk is a stud. I hope he gets a good 7 or 8y deal for 4 to 4.5m

(I would do Skinner + McBain for M. Staal + B. Boyle)

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Scott Scissons
No.1 Bust

vCash: 835
Quote:
If Letang is going within the division there would have to be a significant piece coming back, like Hamonic. It's basically a non-starter.
Just curious what do you think his value would be at the trade deadline as a rental player is.
Though I doubt he gets traded at the deadline since you would think the Penguins would not want to mess with the defensive chemistry that late into the season.

Scott Scissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:28 PM
DrDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Scissons View Post
Just curious what do you think his value would be at the trade deadline as a rental player is.
Though I doubt he gets traded at the deadline since you would think the Penguins would not want to mess with the defensive chemistry that late into the season.
I can't see him going at the deadline, he will either be moved at the draft or extended.

In a hypothetical situation, it's hard to say what his value would be at the deadline. Pittsburgh is obviously looking to contend, so it would have to be something that wouldn't make them miss him going into the playoffs.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:34 PM
Scott Scissons
No.1 Bust

vCash: 835
Quote:
I can't see him going at the deadline, he will either be moved at the draft or extended.

In a hypothetical situation, it's hard to say what his value would be at the deadline. Pittsburgh is obviously looking to contend, so it would have to be something that wouldn't make them miss him going into the playoffs.
Agreed I think only 3 scenarios are possible.
1. Offseason Trade
2. Extension
3. Walk as UFA(not likely)

Scott Scissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:44 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Confusing Snow with Milbury?
I think Snow would pass on trading Hamonic for an unsigned LeTang, I don't think he'd even move him for a signed Letang, looking for $7m-$8m per.

I'll take it further, I don't think he'd do Blinkman's proposal either: unsigned Letang for 1st/Nino/McDonald.

He's a very conservative gm. He's not raiding his prospect pool for moving key players, for a short term pickup. He'd want an extension in place for any trade involving top youngsters/key nhlers.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post

I wouldn't want that Canes package for Letang as well as the Isles one.

Letang has proven himself to be a top 2 pairing defenseman, one bad round and everyone is on his case all of a sudden, but the good work he did the entire season and the first two rounds is that easily erased? Should the Pens now just dump Sid and Geno too then? I mean holy crap, the thought process on this board is just astoundingly horrible at times.

Letang should go for more than Jordan Staal. It's not that Letang wants out, it's just that he will likely want too much and that prices him out of the 'Burgh.

He just recently had a kid, he's starting to understand the whole picking a team and signing long term thing, but it likely won't be with the Penguins if his asking price is too high. The next team he signs with/is traded to is likely the team he stays with until he retires.

Given the issues the Jets are having with Kane and his big mouth and the RFA status of Bogosian, I wouldn't be against seeing a deal including those two for a Letang + trade.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I think Snow would pass on trading Hamonic for an unsigned LeTang, I don't think he'd even move him for a signed Letang, looking for $7m-$8m per.

I'll take it further, I don't think he'd do Blinkman's proposal either: unsigned Letang for 1st/Nino/McDonald.

He's a very conservative gm. He's not raiding his prospect pool for moving key players, for a short term pickup. He'd want an extension in place for any trade involving top youngsters/key nhlers.
"Unsigned Letang"

This part is cracking me up, he's signed for this next season. He's not some RFA that is giving the Pens a hard time with a new contract. Also it's Letang, not LeTang.

In any case, what happened to the Russian billionaire potential buyer that was supposed to make Malkin wait and take off for the Islanders next summer?

Where is that Islanders poster anyway? Chilling with Sabresfan44?

Old
06-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Agreed I think only 3 scenarios are possible.
1. Offseason Trade
2. Extension
3. Walk as UFA(not likely)
If history is any indication with Shero, Option #3 is not really on the table. He's mentioned it, but you know when he mentions that, he's basically just saying he's going to be the best deadline player on defense, available next year.

Shero also alluded to the whole he doesn't have a NTC/NMC so moving him wouldn't be an issue at all. So really, it's "Best offer wins."

In a league where a lot of teams wanted Suter when he was UFA and they missed out and the value of a top 4 defenseman that can log 25mins, is a top 5 point player and a recent Norris Nominee (was supposedly rumored to be the previous year as well), the value is high, not astronomical, but pretty damn high.

Higher than Jordan Staal's.

If I am Shero, I target the Jets. A rich owner, a team that desperately needs to make a splash as they just got their team back not so long ago and it'd be a damn nice story to see them return to the Western Conference and make the playoffs their 1st year back in that division. It would also allow the Jets to move Byfuglien.

I'm a fan of Little, Bogosian and I could definitely see Burmistrov being one of those "throw ins" that Shero gets that no one thinks about until that player turns it around and it ends up being a damn good "throw in."

Old
06-14-2013, 11:58 PM
DrDangles

Quote:

I see my point went over your head. Not quite sure what's so hard to understand about not dealing star players to division rivals for anything less than an overpayment.

It's like if I proposed Moulson for Jokinen/Pouliot/1st, similar package to what was proposed before, but why the hell would you put a guy like Moulson on Sid's wing for fair value when you have to compete for a playoff spot with us and match up 5 times a year?

Old
06-15-2013, 12:17 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Look at when Goligoski and Whitney were moved. They were before the deadline. If Shero is going to move him, he will do it when he has a better idea of what he has when the team is tested a little bit. As in, maybe a month or two to see how a group of - Despres, Orpik, Martin, Engelland, Bortuzzo, Orpik, and Niskanen do.

It would give the Pens a dozen or so extra games to get acclimated to the trade and the new guy(s) that were brought back in the trade.

That is if Shero goes that route.

But with Shero, you definitely need to look at his track record. We might lose Morrow, Iginla and Murray this off season, but really, even with those guys gone...we still have a roster like this:

Kunitz, Crosby, (Dupuis if he re-signs)
Bennett, Malkin, Neal
Jokinen, Sutter, Kennedy (rfa)
Glass, Jeffrey, Vitale
Adams

Orpik, Martin
Despres, Letang
Niskanen, Engelland
Bortuzzo

Fleury
Vokoun

You'd think the Pens never really made a huge trade for those 3. We miss the 1st two rounds and lose 3 prospects, that's the damage. Yet the Pens still have a solid crop of young defensemen in the pipeline.

If Goligoski got us Neal and Niskanen and Whitney got us Kunitz and Tangradi (Horribly mismanaged)...

Letang should fetch Shero a lot more. It did not hurt Dallas in re-signing Alex Goligoski, now did it? Something everyone here keeps mentioning but don't quite understand.

In any case...

Whitney was traded February 26th and Goligoski was traded February 21st.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 1200
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I wouldn't want that Canes package for Letang as well as the Isles one.

Letang has proven himself to be a top 2 pairing defenseman, one bad round and everyone is on his case all of a sudden, but the good work he did the entire season and the first two rounds is that easily erased? Should the Pens now just dump Sid and Geno too then? I mean holy crap, the thought process on this board is just astoundingly horrible at times.

Letang should go for more than Jordan Staal. It's not that Letang wants out, it's just that he will likely want too much and that prices him out of the 'Burgh.

He just recently had a kid, he's starting to understand the whole picking a team and signing long term thing, but it likely won't be with the Penguins if his asking price is too high. The next team he signs with/is traded to is likely the team he stays with until he retires.

Given the issues the Jets are having with Kane and his big mouth and the RFA status of Bogosian, I wouldn't be against seeing a deal including those two for a Letang + trade.
According to many posts I've seen on here, yes, that's exactly what they should do

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
According to many posts I've seen on here, yes, that's exactly what they should do
Every once in a while, I have that Islanders fan's post pop into my head about how the Russian billionaire buying the Islanders (potentially) would mean Malkin is going to wait and test free agency and sign with them. I get a kick out of that, I am wondering if that guy now thinks it will happen when Malkin is in his mid to late 30's and tests free agency before heading off to the KHL to ride off into the sunset for his career.

But yeah, how does a guy that was rumored to be a Norris Candidate in 2011-12 and then was one in 2012-13 and again, was injured yet still got the nomination this time, going to get all the good he's done, erased in 4 games?

That is hilarious to me.

Also hilarious was the amount people dissed Jordan Staal as a potential top 6 center and that he could never be one, then he goes to the Canes and he's so legit as one now. It's just...lol, at some point the hatred for the team blurs people's rationale so much that it loses complete focus of reality.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:32 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I see my point went over your head. Not quite sure what's so hard to understand about not dealing star players to division rivals for anything less than an overpayment.

It's like if I proposed Moulson for Jokinen/Pouliot/1st, similar package to what was proposed before, but why the hell would you put a guy like Moulson on Sid's wing for fair value when you have to compete for a playoff spot with us and match up 5 times a year?
I got your point, about a division rival having to overpay.

Did you get my points that Snow is not a gm who would give up top youngsters for a player on a 1 yr deal, asking for $7m-$8m per? That Snow would want to have an extension in place, for any soon to be ufa, he'd paid a high price for?

And as for Moulson.... I' ve posted a few times, questioning whether the isles will give him the big contract he'll be looking in 2014. Would I want Snow to trade him to the Pens if their offer was the best? Yes. The same way I didn't care that Streit went to Philly. Take the best trade on the board.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:36 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
"Unsigned Letang"

This part is cracking me up, he's signed for this next season. He's not some RFA that is giving the Pens a hard time with a new contract. Also it's Letang, not LeTang.

In any case, what happened to the Russian billionaire potential buyer that was supposed to make Malkin wait and take off for the Islanders next summer?

Where is that Islanders poster anyway? Chilling with Sabresfan44?

LeTang being on a 1 yr deal, asking for $7m-$8m on a 5-8 yr deal would take Snow out of the mix imo. He doesn't trade top youngsters/ key nhlers for short term moves.

I've never posted that the Russian billionaire would sign Malkin, if he hit the ufa market. Maybe you should question the poster who suggested it.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:39 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
LeTang being on a 1 yr deal, asking for $7m-$8m on a 5-8 yr deal would take Snow out of the mix imo. He doesn't trade top youngsters/ key nhlers for short term moves.

I've never posted that the Russian billionaire would sign Malkin, if he hit the ufa market. Maybe you should question the poster who suggested it.
So a player that wants a long term contract at what is likely market value, is a risk because he is on that 1yr deal, looking to sign that long term contract at value and that's not a move you want to make if you have the cap space?

I see.

Past 3 seasons - 130pts in 168gms and a combined +/- of 52.

Worse players have gotten much more via contracts and trades.

Last edited by Honour Over Glory: 06-15-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old
06-15-2013, 01:00 AM
The Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Josh Gorges + MTL 1 2013 + Nathan Beaulieu

You guys get one of the top3 shotsblocker in the NHL a 'young' defensive defenseman with tons of leadership. A first pick in a deep draft. And a Krist Letang lite in Nathan Beaulieu.

Letang is UFA next year, so I think its a really good proposal.

The problem is... I dont see a fit in MTL right now for Letang. Orpik would fit our team more than Letang, even if Letang is incredibly good offensively.
I would do this in a heartbeat if I could.

The Doof Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 01:03 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Stannis View Post
I would do this in a heartbeat if I could.
I wouldn't. I like Josh Gorges, but I would not make that trade for Letang. No way in hell. That's the sort of trade that gets you fired and puts a label on you as the guy that traded Letang for "those guys."

Old
06-15-2013, 01:27 AM
The Doof Warrior

Quote:
I wouldn't. I like Josh Gorges, but I would not make that trade for Letang. No way in hell. That's the sort of trade that gets you fired and puts a label on you as the guy that traded Letang for "those guys."
If Letang gets traded I believe it will be for a similar return as Staal. A roster player, pick and prospect. Gorges would help the Pens, Beauleiu is a very solid prospect and the Pens get a first rounder. While this wouldn't necessarily be the best deal the Pens could get I don't think it's far off. Getting a GM fired? No way.

The Doof Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:38 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
So a player that wants a long term contract at what is likely market value, is a risk because he is on that 1yr deal, looking to sign that long term contract at value and that's not a move you want to make if you have the cap space?

I see.

Past 3 seasons - 130pts in 168gms and a combined +/- of 52.

Worse players have gotten much more via contracts and trades.
I'm not arguing about Letang's past production. I'm saying Snow would want to have the player tied up, in a multi yr extension, at a salary the NYI could afford BEFORE giving up top prospects/key nhlers.

And what does cap space matter to a team,that doesn't spend anywhere close to the cap ceiling? Wat matters is Snow's internal budget and the player's extension demands.