HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most Revolutionary Player

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Thornton97

vCash: 500
Most Revolutionary Player

I often think about who was most revolutionary to the game of hockey...probably because my choice would be Bobby Orr and what he did basically creating the need for a whole new type of defenseman. Some others that often come to mind are Patrick Roy for his revolutionary "butterfly" which has spawned an entire generation of goaltenders. Gordie Howe/Bobby Hull are in there too with curved blades which made shots harder and more accurate.

What are some other names out there that have most changed the game? Who has changed the game the most?

Old
05-09-2005, 10:30 PM
KOVALEV10*

Bernie Geoffrion who created the slap shot.
The Canadiens of old and the Oilers of the 80-s (powerplay type)
And the one guy I hate to mention, Jacques Lemaire (the defensive minded game)

Old
05-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

I don't think that Gordie had nothing to do with the curved stick, and I am fairly sure that Hull is in the same boat. If memory serves me correct it would have to be Bathgate who originated the curved stick... some people however attribute that to Mikita.

A more obscure pick would be Pryakin being the first soviet to suit up in the NHL with the Calgary Flames. Not really his game that was revolutionary, but his place in the game.

Old
05-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Thornton97

I was always under the impression that Howe/Hull basically played around with a curved stick back in the day, and they shared with one another. Am I incorrect? I'd be interested to know if it is infact Bathgate and/or Stan the Man who are the originators, and I am been spouting off incorrect info for a long while now . . .

Old
05-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Thornton97

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Bernie Geoffrion who created the slap shot.

That's a great one. Forgot about Boom-Boom.

Quote:
The Canadiens of old and the Oilers of the 80-s (powerplay type)

Really revolutionary to the extent of the others? We don't see teams living off the PP to the extent that those teams did. But I guess we don't have the level of scoring due to...

Quote:
And the one guy I hate to mention, Jacques Lemaire (the defensive minded game)

Another good one, however unfortunate. Deserves to be mentioned as it has revolutionized the game in the past decade.

Old
05-09-2005, 10:54 PM
tom_servo

I think Dominik Hasek played a big role in ushering in the age of the goaltender. He put up numbers during the final throes of the high-scoring era ('93-'96) that would have him competing for the Vezina even today.

Old
05-09-2005, 11:02 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Orr completely revolutionized a position....way more important than a piece of eqiupment.

Old
05-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
I think Dominik Hasek played a big role in ushering in the age of the goaltender. He put up numbers during the final throes of the high-scoring era ('93-'96) that would have him competing for the Vezina even today.
I don't know whether that was Hasek, but rather I think that it was Roy that brought the position into the limelight, and the perfection of the butterfly, which can now be seen in all the young (predominantly french) goaltenders who at one time looked up to Roy. It is this that I think can best explanation for the better goaltending today. Hasek while great had a style that was impossible to emulate, unlike Roy.

Old
05-09-2005, 11:22 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton Fraser
I don't know whether that was Hasek, but rather I think that it was Roy that brought the position into the limelight, and the perfection of the butterfly, which can now be seen in all the young (predominantly french) goaltenders who at one time looked up to Roy. It is this that I think can best explanation for the better goaltending today. Hasek while great had a style that was impossible to emulate, unlike Roy.
If my memory serves me correct, Glenn Hall was the master of butterfly wayy before Roy.

Old
05-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
If my memory serves me correct, Glenn Hall was the master of butterfly wayy before Roy.
I know that Hall originated the butterfly, and according to some perfected it, but Roy came along in a time where it appeared that the common manner of goaltending was standup goaltending (seen throughout the 1980s) and that has changed now to butterfly.

Old
05-09-2005, 11:38 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton Fraser
I know that Hall originated the butterfly, and according to some perfected it, but Roy came along in a time where it appeared that the common manner of goaltending was standup goaltending (seen throughout the 1980s) and that has changed now to butterfly.
Lovin' the avatar.

Old
05-10-2005, 09:48 AM
JFPIV

Quote:
You beat me to it, Kovalev.

Glenn Hall was the true originator of the butterfly, before the goalie mask, the bushel-basket catching glove, and the body armor that is so prevalent today.

Old
05-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Ogopogo*

Denis Savard was the most revolutionary. You would lose track of how many revolutions he did performing the "Savardian Spinarama"

Hall was named the NHL's best goalie 7 times using the butterfly style. He was named #2 four times.

Old
05-10-2005, 10:28 AM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Bryan McCabe = the can opener

Gave slow-footed dmen a way to stop those speedy forwards.

Old
05-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Malefic74

Doug Harvey and the 50's Canadiens were the real revolutionaries of the power play. They are the reason a player gets back on the ice after a goal. Harvey was the first offensive defenceman, Orr perfected it by adding his skating.

Hall was the first butterfly goalie, Roy perfected it by incorporating the knee shuffle and a better upper body position.

In the Legends series, the Golden Jet himself credits Mikita for the curved stick.

Jaques Plante needs to be mentioned for the mask and the fact that he was also the first goalie to leave the crease to stop the puck for his defencemen.

Ed Belfour and Felix Potvin for starting the whole paddle-down technique.

And finally Ron Hextall deserves credit for being the first goalie to play the puck like a defenceman.

Old
05-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I agree about Roy and Hall. Hall invented the butterfly style but Roy perfected it and he's the reason most of the goalies in the NHL use it.

Old
05-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
I agree about Roy and Hall. Hall invented the butterfly style but Roy perfected it and he's the reason most of the goalies in the NHL use it.
I disagree that Roy perfected it. Hall was the NHL's best goalie 7 times using it so, I would say he had some perfection going on.

Roy perfected using it with the big equipment of the 90s.

Old
05-10-2005, 11:57 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
I disagree that Roy perfected it. Hall was the NHL's best goalie 7 times using it so, I would say he had some perfection going on.

How do you know Hall was the leagues best goalie 7 times?

Old
05-10-2005, 12:09 PM
mcphee

Ogo, not to nit pick, but the Savardian Spinerama was Danny Gallivan's term used to describe Serge Savard's move to turn away from forecheckers. It was later used for Denis, but it was Serge's originally. Glenn Hall used the butterfly, but I think Tony Esposito was the first to solely rely on it. In the 60's, there was a fine line between the butterfly and flopping.

Old
05-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Chili

It was before my time but I have seen a clip of Doug Harvey also performing the spin move.

Old
05-10-2005, 02:33 PM
jb**

Hextall- changed the wya goalies handle the puck

Broad Street Bullies chnaged the way hockey was played in the 70's and early 80's

Old
05-10-2005, 02:42 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Ogo, not to nit pick, but the Savardian Spinerama was Danny Gallivan's term used to describe Serge Savard's move to turn away from forecheckers. It was later used for Denis, but it was Serge's originally.
I think he was joking, thus the

Old
05-10-2005, 03:06 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
I think he was joking, thus the
If I had a clever retort to make myself look smarter here, I'd most certainly use it.

Old
05-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo

Roy managed to use it pretty effectively using small gear in the 80s. Jennings in 87, 88 and 89. Vezina in 89.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/focus/gfx/roy_habs.jpg

Old
05-10-2005, 04:03 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Roy managed to use it pretty effectively using small gear in the 80s. Jennings in 87, 88 and 89. Vezina in 89.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/focus/gfx/roy_habs.jpg
Jennings doesnt mean crap. It's a team award. Only Vezina trophies mean you're the best goalie. And of course if you win a hart or a pearson or a conn smythe it means you're the best player in general.

Closed Thread