HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MacT Presser Part II | 1:30PM | Dallas Eakins Officially Announced As Head Coach

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post
has Tambellini said anything to the media since he was let go?
Still evaluating.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:00 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Still evaluating.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
1) Eakins just seems more on the players level. Former player, in shape, just seems like more of a jock than Krueger obviously plus he has much better hair. Krueger seemed more like the fatherly, coddle the players type. They need somebody who will push them to the limit, i think that Eakins will do that.

2) I agree about the players needing to buying in. It seems like Eakins employed a system that worked with the Marlies and the players bought in. Ultimately it's up to the player to be attentive and focus on the details of the system and then apply it to game situations. I like what i hear about Eakins employing an up tempo, aggressive style no matter the score. The problem with Renney and Krueger's systems is that they didn't cater to the strengths of the players which led to a lot of confusion and a disorganized mess.

3) Similar to point #2, it's ultimately up to the players to take a benching, learn from it and become a better player. Based on what i heard in his interview about Kadri, it seemed that Eakins was very clear that Kadri needed to improve his habits or he wasn't going to succeed. The problem with Krueger was that everything was positive all the time, sometimes players need to be told the cold, hard truth in order to improve in all areas. Of course, we don't know what went on behind the scenes but it's pretty obvious that the players weren't responding to Krueger's message.
I see Krueger as a similar coach to Renney. More of a teacher, positive speaker than a X's and O's, balls to the walls type of coach that will push and push these players until they get the message. Eakins seems to have a completely different philosophy from the one that these players have dealt with over the last 3 seasons so it's up to them to respond and put in the work.
Oddly enough though Krueger had an arguably more successful player career than Eakins. Afairc he was a much more accomplished player as well and with much more talent. If that matters at all. I'm not saying it does.

Interestingly last time we had a coach here that really got the lumber out it was MacT and fans here were complaining vociferously about how mean he was. Players here had apparent issues with it as well.

I can hope that accountability does take place, consequences do occur, and performance is elevated. Marlies were a pretty average club with reasonable talent to work with.

But heres my main point. These coaches are similar with their ability to work with youth. But Eakins got several years to do that and krueger got 48 games. At the half way point in his first season Eakins team wasn't doing so hot either.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-10-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old
06-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
Well thats your opinion and you are entitled to it but I recall mac T was the last coach to get real success for the Oilers so I apologize if I would rather have that then the random parade of failure since he left. I think everyone can agree whether or not you like his direction at least there is one which we havn't had in years.
Agreed, everyone is entitled to their opinion. MacT had 8 years, only 3 play off years with more vet laden teams and never improved on his 1st year standings wise. We had the one miracle cup run like a number of other teams have had. Overall his coaching record and moreso his style for me was a fail. MacT for me was outstanding at about 1/2 the things you need to be a consistent winning coach and terrible at the other half.

In any case this thread is not about MacT's coaching so I'll leave it at that so we can discuss the presser.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post
Good luck to Dallas Eakins, I hope we have a coach that will stick around a few seasons.

Also, good luck to Ralph Krueger. He seems like a decent person but never struck me as a guy who knew how to coach in the NHL. That might've changed with experience though.

Also, Krueger spoke after he was fired, has Tambellini said anything to the media since he was let go?
Agreed on all points...and no, I haven't heard so much as a peep from Tambellini either.

Interesting to compare Tambo's departure from Krueger. It could just be that Tambo decided on his own to not address the media.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
Say your random hypothesis is correct (as you have no proof there is such a directive in the Oilers system) where would that come from? Say the general manager? Mac T hasn't done anything other then come out and do two things. Firstly call out the lack of commitment by the players and secondly make everyone know that he will be responsible for any success or failure from here on out. I doubt a guy like that will be handcuffing his coach with ridiculous rules on how to manage his team. He picked Dallas because he feels he will manage his team the way he wants them to be managed so I don't see the logic in saying Mac T will tell him not to coach the way he hired him to do so.
I didn't say anything about a directive. I am talking about a dynamic at work. Any org that is so dependent on young stars is going to be immediately sensitive to them. Kid glove treatment in action. I think we've seen it clearly here. People put that on coaches but we've witnessed one coach to another having no different efffect. The last kick butt guy we had here was Quinn and the players pretty much didn't even take him seriously when they did try to understand what he was going on about.

Eakins stikes me as another person that likes to hear himself talk that mght be more similar to Krueger than people realize. Its bred in the bone though. In this era coaches remind me more and more of used car salesman. If you buy what they're stating outright it sounds good but.

Myself, and this is part of the problem, I've heard enough coaches and motivational speakers talk to sort through the bs. Tortorella is all about the bs. I would HATE to see him end up here. Eakins is a blessing in comparison.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Still evaluating.
Win.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:08 PM
cyril*
Losers cheer for..

Quote:
Still evaluating.
Yes, this is probably true.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
In any case this thread is not about MacT's coaching so I'll leave it at that so we can discuss the presser.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:11 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Poor Sammy Gagner, yet another head coach. At this rate he'll be 40 before he shows any development progress as a hockey player.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Still evaluating.
bwahahahaha

Das Witzig!

Old
06-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Poor Sammy Gagner, yet another head coach. At this rate he'll be 40 before he shows any development progress as a hockey player.
I think he is tradebait anyway.

But yeah. Another year, another coach. Maybe Eakins can get Gagner developing like Kadri. That is the positive outlook I take from this.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:15 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Agreed on all points...and no, I haven't heard so much as a peep from Tambellini either.

Interesting to compare Tambo's departure from Krueger. It could just be that Tambo decided on his own to not address the media.
I think it shows that Krueger really wants to get back on the horse and feels he can learn and improve as a coach. Tambellini knows that he is finished

Old
06-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post

Good for Tambo being silent. Better for his career. I would like to really have been in some of the meetings where he had to get certain moves approved by Lowe and Katz. I bet he feels he was tossed under the bus, especially after Lowes stellar performance behind the mic.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:17 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
He cheated, had it cued up and waiting to go.

Just want to personally thank Groucho and Cupofoil from last pages in previous thread for weighing in on an evaluative discussion on the hire. Not all of us are privy to twitter so good to see some more information coming in.

I have a response to cupofoils last post in the other thread. I had it all composed and other thread got closed

here:

Well personally I'm glad somebody 46rs old is considered young. I like it anytime somebody says something like that. He looks young, is in good physical condition, but so is Krueger although the latter looks more like a bald eagle.

Point 2 imo hinges alot on the players not playing the system as designed in the first place. What seeing the playoff clubs succeed or fail should tell us is that adherence to system play is a must. We had two very good system coaches here as the last incumbents. Unfortunately this mattered little to a selection of star players that figured Pittsburgh Penguins freewill is the way to get it done. Hopefully they learn.

On point 3 theres a world of difference benching a prospect playing in a minor league and benching a Yakupov, RNH, Eberle, in the bigs. Particularly when coaches at the pro level usually end up losing such battles with 6million dollar men who are simply too valuable to the org for them to be chasticed. I would be very interested in seeing this, and how the rich kids respond, recieve such direction, and how the org supports it. The young kids, with the exception of Hall, and possibly RNH, haven't been listening to much.

I agree a lot of it is on the players, but at the same time it's up to the coach to make sure the players buy what he's selling. If they don't he's failed. Now I think Krueger got a raw deal since he didn't get much of a pre-season. On the other hand he had a few seasons as an assistant coach to get to know the players and get his ideas through.
Also I didn't like the way the team completely folded when the playoff spot was on the line, sure a lot is on the players but as I mentioned, part of the job description as a coach is to motivate your players. I think the players liked him a lot but they didn't respect him. Some of the blame for that are the lack of passion from the so called veteran presence on the team, really tricky to get any respect from your players when a few of the guys just don't care. Combine that with the sense of entitlement a few of the youngsters are showing and you have a very tough locker room. Krueger didn't have an easy task and he failed his assignment.

From a system point of view I didn't like the lack of structure in our offensive game, looked better under Renney and our defensive game was a bit too much about just keeping the puck from going in and not enough of trying to actually regain the puck.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
He's shown remarkable development and performance all things considered.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:20 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
He's shown remarkable development and performance all things considered.
I think his skating has improved, at the very least.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:26 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
I think his skating has improved, at the very least.
Yep that's about it. Slightly better acceleration top speed.

To say his development has been remarkable is laughable. Hopefully MacT deals him while he might still have value around the league. If not he better hope Sammy learns something in his 7th pro season.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutty780 View Post
The conference will outline the following:

Eakins HC
Tortorella Associate
Horcoff Trade
Hallsy gets the "C"
Yakupov gets his number 10
Rexall place gets renamed to Eberle Centre
RNH gained 15 lbs
As much as i'd love to see that, Torts as an associate would probably eventually result in a scrap with Eakins behind the bench.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Hoogaar23

Can I watch this online? Will it be streamed on edmontonoilers.com?

Old
06-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Yep that's about it. Slightly better acceleration top speed.

To say his development has been remarkable is laughable. Hopefully MacT deals him while he might still have value around the league. If not he better hope Sammy learns something in his 7th pro season.
Remarkable considering we have been though a ton of coaches and the team has been pure awful and he had suspect linemates until the last few years. He significantly increased his ppg last year. And his leadership and character are much better. He's one of the few smaller guys that has had balls to drop the gloves at times and actually take losing hard as opposed to some vets.

23 years old, crap organization, a box load of coaches, he's done well.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Can I watch this online? Will it be streamed on edmontonoilers.com?
Yes, it will be. 1:30 pm mountain.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:33 PM
OiledUp

I don't see the problem at all in firing someone over skype. The ideal is ofc to do it in person but if you're on different continents that's not going to be easy. My problem with the whole thing is that MacT seemed to have changed his mind rather quickly but since very few of us have any clue on what has been going on behind closed doors we just don't know. Maybe Krueger and MacT has been discussing this for weeks. Though it doesn't look like that from the outside.

I don't really mind him being open about what we're looking for in the draft or about trading certain players. Being open about your intentions is usually a way to show strength when doing business. Now once negotiations has started you should keep it behind closed doors but before that I'm fine with him being open. He seems fairly tight lipped about who's the new head coach though everyone seems to know it's Eakins. And the Belov signing was kept pretty quiet.

What bothers me about MacT is that you get the feeling he can be a bit of a bully which if the feeling is true will eventually bite him (and the Oilers) in the ass. Also he seems a bit impatient but this could ofc be him being eager to get to work in his new position, which is a good thing. He certainly seems to be enjoying his new job.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:36 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Eakins just strikes me as more Alpha than Kruger. having a ballsy alpha coach will reflect well with players like hall and yakupov, i think they will flourish under that type of mentorship.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Slats432

My only hope is that Eakins is introduced on a big screen via Skype. (Why the media cares is beyond me.)

Closed Thread