HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MacT Presser Part II | 1:30PM | Dallas Eakins Officially Announced As Head Coach

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 09:28 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Dallas Eakins wanted to spend last week talking with Steve Smith and Kelly Buchberger to get a sense of their strengths and weaknesses and decide if they would be part of his staff. I'd be surprised if both were on his staff. He will add an associate coach with NHL experience, and most likely one assistant. It would make sense to announce the staff before the draft and especially free agency. I keep hearing Paul Maurice is a strong candidate.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/6/18/the-madness-begins

Old
06-19-2013, 09:45 AM
AJGass4

vCash: 500
Does anyone else think it would be wise for Eakins to start fresh, nothing against Bucky and Smith but it seems like it was more of a fun club than hard work around this team last season.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:56 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
Does anyone else think it would be wise for Eakins to start fresh, nothing against Bucky and Smith but it seems like it was more of a fun club than hard work around this team last season.
Every indication is that he'll have that chance and that it is up to him. Have nothing really against him talking to the two of them though. Who knows, maybe there is a fit. Leave it up to him to decide.

Although if he is forced to keep them rumor has it that it could be Katz doing so.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:15 AM
DousedInOil

This might be a stupid question but what exactly are each coach in charge of? Bucky does the powerplay and smith handles the defence? What else do they do?

Old
06-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Lacaar

On one hand I say drop Smith and Buchy. We've had no overall success with them and I'm worried they're just here not because they're effective but because of the old boys club.

On the other hand I look at our special teams as the lone bright spot and if they're responsible they must be doing something right I guess.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
That's actually pretty funny because thats exactly what I think you are doing....trying to fill in the gaps in the doldrums of June.

Its called an opinion piece. Its garbage to you because you cant use it to support your position.

Here is a novel thought.....why not let Eakins actually coach the team and judge him on something of substance like the results.
Because that does not get attention.

I agree. Let's see what he can do first. Then we can make some educated decisions...hopefully.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:12 PM
s7ark

I removed every post calling members of HFOil windbags. Let's quit it with the attacks please.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:55 PM
AlbertaHockey20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
On one hand I say drop Smith and Buchy. We've had no overall success with them and I'm worried they're just here not because they're effective but because of the old boys club.

On the other hand I look at our special teams as the lone bright spot and if they're responsible they must be doing something right I guess.
I second this sentiment.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
This might be a stupid question but what exactly are each coach in charge of? Bucky does the powerplay and smith handles the defence? What else do they do?
I thought Buch was in charge of the PK? Maybe he was doing the PP as well after Krueger got promoted but, in any case, I say fire them both.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:09 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
I thought Buch was in charge of the PK? Maybe he was doing the PP as well after Krueger got promoted but, in any case, I say fire them both.

Looking like a harsh summer with a lot of turnover...

Krueger was safe... suddenly ****canned.

Nelson considered for the head coach job? NOPE... some hard feelings over that.

Horcoff and Hemsky... 2 long time Oilers... out the door.

Bottom 6 looks like it's being gutted... Petrell/Jones/Belanger/Smithson... good chance they may all be gone.

Whitney/Peckham/Fistric... see ya later

Khabi... nice knowing you.

Eager dumped in OKC... status and future unknown.

Hordichuk... see ya.

Now Steve Smith and Bucky... so long (likely imo)...

Hartikainen/Hovinen/Tyrvainen... all headed back to Europe. (not really any animosity there but still prospects leaving the org... more turnover and change.)

(probably several "prospects" in OKC show the door this summer as well... Teubert/Plante etc)

MacT is having a tumultuous start to his reign... I'm sure it's not quite as "comfy" and secure within the org for a lot of individuals as it may have been the last couple years (probably a very good thing).

Hopefully more accountability and less complacency will lead to better performance and more WINS... but in the short term I can see that there are going to likely be a lot of ruffled feathers and bruised egos all across the org at every level.

Old
06-20-2013, 02:54 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

Hopefully more accountability and less complacency will lead to better performance and more WINS... but in the short term I can see that there are going to likely be a lot of ruffled feathers and bruised egos all across the org at every level.
A GM is worthless if not willing to ruffle feathers and bruise egos.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:28 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

It's pretty much impossible to predict at this point with the level of changes and turnover this summer... just where this franchise will end up next season.

Half the roster (or more) being turfed/changed... forwards, dmen, in net... head coach (likely the assistants also), new GM.... massive changes in OKC as well.

This team could be a playoff team or dead last yet again. At this point coping with all these changes has to be a huge challenge for the org.

If I had to lay a bet I'd say this team is again headed for last overall just from the sheer number of changes and adaptations that everyone will again be going through.

The longer term may look brighter when the team starts to shake out and chemistry begins to (hopefully) form once again... but shorter term I see a probable period of adjustment and chaos. I think we'll again be talking about a franchise pick again this time next year... not being pessimistic... just trying to be realistic as I anticipate the amount of changes that are underway already... with many more to come.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

is Mac T burning bridges? or is he sending the message that if you want to play NHL hockey for Edmonton you're going to earn that right?

Old
06-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
is Mac T burning bridges? or is he sending the message that if you want to play NHL hockey for Edmonton you're going to earn that right?
Burning bridges with players that are in decline, or just plain don't want to pay the price for what they are paid is the norm on good teams. I like that Mac T is open with the fans and is allowing us a glimpse at the direction this team heading.

Old
06-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Travis L. Brown ‏@Travis_L_Brown
Lindy Ruff will be Dallas Stars' new head coach Jim Lites said at FW Chamber lunch, barring any unforeseen hang ups

Guess there's another coach the Canucks had zero interest in...

Old
06-20-2013, 01:03 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

Or you could look at the Special Teams prior to the arrival of RNH and see that our PP was 27th and I don't know where the penalty kill was but it wasn't good either. Shouldn't Bucky and Smith get credit for the poor performance of our special teams too? Also, Krueger was in charge of special teams when they spiked.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Travis L. Brown ‏@Travis_L_Brown
Lindy Ruff will be Dallas Stars' new head coach Jim Lites said at FW Chamber lunch, barring any unforeseen hang ups

Guess there's another coach the Canucks had zero interest in...
Please Vancouver, hire Tortorella so we can see his hilarious antics in our division.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Please Vancouver, hire Tortorella so we can see his hilarious antics in our division.
lol I'm hoping for the same thing, the media out here has been talking about him alot lately

Old
06-20-2013, 01:14 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I think the Canucks want Tippett if the Coyotes move... though, now that their target is Seattle, I have a feeling he'd stay in that case.

John Stevens will be their coach if Tippett isn't released.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:15 PM
GreatKeith

Torts presence will counter sutter's in Los Angeles.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I think the Canucks want Tippett if the Coyotes move... though, now that their target is Seattle, I have a feeling he'd stay in that case.

John Stevens will be their coach if Tippett isn't released.
Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan
#Coyotes RT @danbickley Negotiations between Glendale and the Renaissance group have hit a snag

Old
06-20-2013, 01:26 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Torts in Vancouver would be hilarious.

Also please please please coyotes move to Seattle.

Old
06-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma
Ruff reportedly new Stars head coach after Dallas fails to lure Vigneault. Stevens, Tortorella favourites in Van

Old
06-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

then this comes out...

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika
Just talked to Jim Lites and he said tap the brakes on Lindy Ruff hiring. Said they like him a lot but nothing is done yet

Old
06-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Fuhryous

Gillis just may be a worse procrastinator than Tambellini. I can see how Tambellini also mastered this craft being Gillis' assistant.

Closed Thread