HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Montreal - Winnipeg

Old
06-23-2013, 08:53 PM
BigHabs

vCash: 500
Montreal - Winnipeg

Travis Moen
Ryan White(RFA)
Raphael Diaz

Mark Stuart
Chris Thorburn

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I would pass. Basically on Diaz's upside. Thorburn is at least more willing and energetic IMHO than Moen, if not really a better player. Stuart's physical presence is definitely desirable. But I would just still hold out some hope based on this season's cameo preview that Diaz has the potential to be the best player in this deal by quite a bit. Jets probably have no motivation to gamble on that kind of hope, though, and would just keep their players.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Boreal

Diaz has upside, that I freely admit. The trade as a whole does not move the Jets appreciably forward in any way. Stuart, while only a bottom-pairing D at best is a leader in the locker room and carries a left-handed stick, which is a rarity in Winnipeg. Thorburn could probably be had a for a bag of 90's era home made mix tapes. He is not a bad 4th liner, if you are looking for someone to stick up for teammates. He does not often win tilts, but he is a more than willing participant. The Jets just have Anthony Peluso, who is every bit as good in terms of hockey skills, and many times better the fighter.

As a result, I would probably say no to the trade, but if someone who knows Diaz better then I do thinks he brings more to the table then Stuart, especially immediately (ie. no interest in waiting on potential), then it is something to perhaps consider.

I did not even consider Moen and White in the deal. I have no desire for either one of them on the Jets.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:12 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I would pass. Basically on Diaz's upside. Thorburn is at least more willing and energetic IMHO than Moen, if not really a better player. Stuart's physical presence is definitely desirable. But I would just still hold out some hope based on this season's cameo preview that Diaz has the potential to be the best player in this deal by quite a bit. Jets probably have no motivation to gamble on that kind of hope, though, and would just keep their players.
Jets don't want or need any of those Mtl players. Even Diaz, with his upside, is a RHD, of which they have a surplus.
Stuart is a tough-as-nails 3rd pairing D, whose character and grit would likely help Mtl advance in the playoffs. The Jets are are not there yet and won't be for a year or two.
So, what would you offer by way of draft picks instead?

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:13 PM
jhoops89
R.I.P. Thrashers

It's alright value wise

jhoops89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 06:15 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Jets don't want or need any of those Mtl players. Even Diaz, with his upside, is a RHD, of which they have a surplus.
Stuart is a tough-as-nails 3rd pairing D, whose character and grit would likely help Mtl advance in the playoffs. The Jets are are not there yet and won't be for a year or two.
So, what would you offer by way of draft picks instead?
Well, I wouldn't offer anything atm, I'd just pursue a defender on the UFA market first. Past that, Stuart is worth a late 1st to me in general, but it will be after the draft, and I don't expect to still need another d-man after July 5th or so anyway. And there won't be any guarantees about how late the Habs' pick would be in 2014, so I wouldn't commit early. Hence the deal still wouldn't fly, even if I think he's worth that much.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote