HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Oilers "keenly interested" in defenceman Paul Ranger

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 10:41 AM
McDraekke
5-14-6-1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Its not entitlement. Its the sheer fact that the guy stepped away from the game and ONLY came back because playing for the Marlies allowed him to fly under the radar while playing in his hometown. I seriously doubt he ever makes a long-term comeback in the NHL (he might get his feet wet) but people's inability to face the facts is amusing because they, instead, choose to think fans in Toronto feel like their entitled to something.
The only reason oiler fans are thinking that it is a possibility that he may sign with Edmonton is because of Dreger bringing the idea up that they are interested. So naturally, fans start to imagine this being something that may happen. And it may.

The only "inability to face facts" that I see going on in this thread is that TO fans are being extremely short-sighted. EDM fans aren't saying he's for sure going to sign anywhere but TO. That is a ridiculous statement. But the Opposite is just as ridiculous. Nowhere have we seen Ranger say that he doesn't want to play anywhere but Toronto. He said something along the lines that playing for the Marlies was a good situation, cause it is close to home and family and friends. I'm sure a lot of players would say that if they played for their home team. But if he gets his "feet wet," and thinks it's time to jump on in, maybe he'll decide to go elsewhere, no?

Again, not saying he will. Just open to the idea that he could sign elsewhere.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:42 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
What "fact" is there that Ranger is staying in Toronto? A signed contract is a fact. Conjecture and quotes from last year's interviews are not.

It's as if he couldn't have possibly changed his mind, or decided "that was nice, I think I'm ready to try something else, and I really enjoyed playing for Eakins so why not?". Are those scenarios really so far outside the realm of possibility for some of you that you can't even entertain the notion that he'd go somewhere else? I mean, come on.
It was reported that there were teams interested in signing him to an NHL deal during this season, at which point he would have to pass through waivers to join whichever team he signed with. Guess what? He didn't. I'd say there was enough writing on the wall to write this story, "Paul Ranger is comfortable in staying in Toronto, playing for the Marlies"

Paul Ranger may prefer staying in the AHL than return to the NHL

More conjecture, but where there is x10 the conjecture there is fire. Who knows, he may have had a change of heart so carry on and discuss your 2013/14 lineups with Paul Ranger on them, fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
The 'fact' is that he played for the Marlies to Stay in Toronto, not because Eakins was the Marlies coach.
Someone understands.

Dreger making the Eakins connection is silly because we know the Toronto connection is stronger.

Last edited by piqued: 06-11-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: merging
Old
06-11-2013, 10:46 AM
McDraekke
5-14-6-1

Quote:
What "fact" is there that Ranger is staying in Toronto? A signed contract is a fact. Conjecture and quotes from last year's interviews are not.

It's as if he couldn't have possibly changed his mind, or decided "that was nice, I think I'm ready to try something else, and I really enjoyed playing for Eakins so why not?". Are those scenarios really so far outside the realm of possibility for some of you that you can't even entertain the notion that he'd go somewhere else? I mean, come on.
Looks like you beat me to almost exactly what I said in lesser words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
The 'fact' is that he played for the Marlies to Stay in Toronto, not because Eakins was the Marlies coach.
It's really hard to understand the fervor from TO fans about this. If you were going to try your career again, wouldn't you only want to test it out in the place you're living? Not re-route your entire life for a possible failure? And then if it all works out as planned, that's when you might decide to make a full-fledged attempt again maybe somewhere that works better career-wise/money-wise? And don't tell me "of course I'd only stay in TO, it's where I live!" We're talking professional sports here, where most players end up in a different city than their home town.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Mat Fratthouse

non story.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:49 AM
McDraekke
5-14-6-1

Quote:
It was reported that there were teams interested in signing him to an NHL deal during this season, at which point he would have to pass through waivers to join whichever team he signed with. Guess what? He didn't. I'd say there was enough writing on the wall to write this story, "Paul Ranger is comfortable in staying in Toronto, playing for the Marlies"

Paul Ranger may prefer staying in the AHL than return to the NHL

More conjecture, but where there is x10 the conjecture there is fire. Who knows, he may have had a change of heart so carry on and discuss your 2013/14 lineups with Paul Ranger on them, fans.
That's all most people here wanted someone to say.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

I think the family connection in Toronto was the reason for him staying with the Marlies.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:54 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Someone understands.

Dreger making the Eakins connection is silly because we know the Toronto connection is stronger.
It's stuff like this, Leaf fans. As I said before - come on. You don't know anything until Ranger signs a freaking contract.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Turrican*

Quote:
It's stuff like this, Leaf fans. As I said before - come on. You don't know anything until Ranger signs a freaking contract.
Ya exactly.
Just like Schultz was going to Toronto 100% because of Gardiner.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:10 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
Ya exactly.
Schultz =/= Ranger. Dreger is baiting you guys. His headline should read, 'NHL team interested in defenseman" instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
I think the family connection in Toronto was the reason for him staying with the Marlies.
Not just staying but joinin the Marlies in the first place. If the Marlies were located in St. Johns he probably still would have been away from the game EVEN if Eakins was coaching

Last edited by piqued: 06-11-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: unnecessary / merging
Old
06-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
Ya exactly.
Ya exactly.
Just like Ranger is going to Edmonton because of Eakins.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:29 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
Ya exactly.
Ironic eh?

Old
06-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Draiskull

vCash: 777
Did you guys even read the OP?

Quote:
If Ranger decides to return to the NHL and thats a big IF, Edmonton will be high among the 20+ teams interested because of the Eakins hire.

There is nothing that says HE IS GOING TO EDM .. It only says EDM is interested in him as a UFA and so will be other teams..

Old
06-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Turrican*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
Ya exactly.
I never said this.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:39 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Ranger would be a massive improvement over Corey Potter if he came to the Oilers.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:40 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
Ranger would be a massive improvement over Corey Potter if he came to the Oilers.
Corey Cross would be a massive improvement on Corey Potter. It isn't that hard to be better than that career AHL'er.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:50 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Did you guys even read the OP?

Quote:
If Ranger decides to return to the NHL and thats a big IF, Edmonton will be high among the 20+ teams interested because of the Eakins hire.

There is nothing that says HE IS GOING TO EDM
.. It only says EDM is interested in him as a UFA and so will be other teams..
Literally, no one in this thread is saying that.

There are two types of people in this thread:
1) Leafs fans who can't understand why people would even think that Paul Ranger is leaving Toronto, and
2) People who are trying to explain to Toronto fans that while the Leafs are probably quite high on Ranger's list, they need to accept that there exists a possibility that multiple teams are interested in Ranger, and that he could choose to play in another city for a variety of very legitimate reasons.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:53 AM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Literally, no one in this thread is saying that.

There are two types of people in this thread:
1) Leafs fans who can't understand why people would even think that Paul Ranger is leaving Toronto, and
2) People who are trying to explain to Toronto fans that while the Leafs are probably quite high on Ranger's list, they need to accept that there exists a possibility that multiple teams are interested in Ranger, and that he could choose to play in another city for a variety of very legitimate reasons.
You missed
3) Oilers fan's that think they are the front runners based on a weak connection

Old
06-11-2013, 11:55 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Corey Cross would be a massive improvement on Corey Potter. It isn't that hard to be better than that career AHL'er.
which is why i think Potter's time here is over...especially when i hear the early morning sports radio wags mention that there could be a small window of opportunity for Peckham to return next season if Eakins is so inclined.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:57 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
You missed
3) Oilers fan's that think they are the front runners based on a weak connection
so what makes you think the Leafs are front runners? the fact he's already in Toronto? that's your arguement?

Old
06-11-2013, 12:08 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
You missed
Really? The arguments I'm reading from Oilers fans are not that they think they are front runners, its defense from the "there is no chance he goes to Edmonton, lolz" arguments.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:09 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
There's a whole lot of noise coming from Leafs fans about "Ranger staying in Toronto, period", and nobody providing sources for that info.
Yeah it's not a definite thing by any means but if he were to come back to the NHL playing for the Leafs seems to make the most sense.

They gave him what he wanted and haven't pressured him into anything, he can still live close to home which is why he wanted to play with the Marlies.

Plus he would be an upgrade over several of our defenseman so he would get good amounts of ice time.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:17 PM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
He came to the Marlies because he didn't want to be in the spotlight in the NHL and because the Marlies still play in the big city, where his family lives, instead of the middle of nowhere. If he winds up playing in the NHL it'll likely be in Toronto, where he can be close to his family, not wherever Eakins is coaching. Thats why I'm so surprised Dreger is speculating away at the Eakins connection when Toronto fans know the City of Toronto connection is stronger. Oh well, its good for hits, I suppose.
Re: Justin Schultz . I rest my case .

Old
06-11-2013, 12:18 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Re: Justin Schultz . I rest my case .
You don't have a case

Old
06-11-2013, 12:25 PM
sayheykid

I'm starting to wonder if half of the people in this thread even realize they're fighting over Paul Ranger. I mean, seriously. Paul Ranger.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Finnish your Czech
I Love Jared Cowen

I haven't seen a single quote here from Toronto management or from Paul Ranger himself, about why he signed for the Marlies, and that he will only play for a Toronto-based team.

So all these "facts", seem to be more like weak speculation.

Closed Thread