HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik

Old
06-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Kev22

vCash: 500
Gaborik

I'm curious to see what happens with Gaborik. Does the front office make a legitimate attempt beginning July 5th to extend Gabby's contract or do they just let the situation simmer and eventually trade him at the deadline for a nice return?

I'd like to see them extend Gaborik, but not for what he makes now. A contract in the 5.5 to 6.5M range would work for me. If he wants more than that, then entertain trade offers at the trade deadline. He's worth more then.

What does everyone here think will happen?

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Throwback Thursday

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I'm curious to see what happens with Gaborik. Does the front office make a legitimate attempt beginning July 5th to extend Gabby's contract or do they just let the situation simmer and eventually trade him at the deadline for a nice return?

I'd like to see them extend Gaborik, but not for what he makes now. A contract in the 5.5 to 6.5M range would work for me. If he wants more than that, then entertain trade offers at the trade deadline. He's worth more then.

What does everyone here think will happen?
I'm sure the front office will make an attempt to sign him again this summer, but if you're Gaborik, why in the world would you sign an extension coming off the year you had, when your value is lower than it probably should be?

I really doubt we see him signed to an extension in 2013.

06-10-2013, 01:36 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I'm sure the front office will make an attempt to sign him again this summer, but if you're Gaborik, why in the world would you sign an extension coming off the year you had, when your value is lower than it probably should be?

I really doubt we see him signed to an extension in 2013.
Perhaps he wants some income certainty given that he gets dinged up so frequently. If we resign him I'd hope its below $5 million and just for another year. If he was just a straight-up UFA on the market I don't think I would offer a multi-year at $6m, so its hard to justify paying that.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Perhaps he wants some income certainty given that he gets dinged up so frequently. If we resign him I'd hope its below $5 million and just for another year. If he was just a straight-up UFA on the market I don't think I would offer a multi-year at $6m, so its hard to justify paying that.
He turned a 17 game season in to $7.5M a year...

I don't think he's worried about being too banged up and not get a contract. There are always Glen Sather's out there eager to overpay for the next free agent.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:54 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
He turned a 17 game season in to $7.5M a year...

I don't think he's worried about being too banged up and not get a contract. There are always Glen Sather's out there eager to overpay for the next free agent.
Yes, but in those 17 games he scored 23 points. This past year he was dinged up and didn't even score at half that rate. It's the latter situation he is concerned about.

Old
06-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Xoggz22

I think the CBJ will open talks on "July 5th" (I say this because I would imagine background ideas of "how did your client enjoy Columbus?" are taking place). They'll look to extend him for what they think is a reasonable offer for the CBJ. Gaborik is unlikely to jump at the offer so the talks drag on into the season at which point we see what his value to the team is and if he enjoys the team/atmosphere.

Realistically, I think Jarmo must have thought they could turn him into more assets and picks next year at the deadline while allow some of the younger players to develop lower in the lineup. I'd like to see him around longer because I'm a fan but I'm not sure he goes beyond 2013/14 with Columbus.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:19 PM
EspenK

I think its a wait and see attitude on both parts. If he sucks he is gone;if he produces they'll attempt to re-sign him as soon as they see how he is doing. From his perspective the better he does the more he'll get from either us or his next team. I don't see a rush to action by either side.

On a side note I think he will evaluate how the team is doing. He isn't getting any younger and may want a shot on a legitimate playoff contender if the jackets regress somewhat from their finish.

Lots of variables here to be considered.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Xoggz22

The one thing with Gaborik adn a possible extension that I can think of.... If you think he's good for value at the deadline, that doesn't bode well for the CBJ (most likely). I say this because some of us, including myself, have suggesting moving the 2014 1st in a deal to upgrade the roster. If we move the 2014 1st and end up moving Gaborik at the deadline, in my head that says we lost a top pick in the draft next year because we clearly didn't achieve....

Granted, the CBJ could achieve regardless of Gaborik's impact at which point moving him for picks would be a good thing if he doesn't extend here... I happen to think his value goes beyond goals and assists. He'll clearly be the focus of other team's top d-men. In that case he'll be drawing attention away from the other lines and allow others to step up. That can't be seen on a stat sheet.

Old
06-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
The CBJ may attempt to sign him but not for what he's made in the past... as for me I'm more impressed with his past history than what I saw in Columbus, I'd wait..

Last edited by Robert: 06-10-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:59 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
The one thing with Gaborik adn a possible extension that I can think of.... If you think he's good for value at the deadline, that doesn't bode well for the CBJ (most likely). I say this because some of us, including myself, have suggesting moving the 2014 1st in a deal to upgrade the roster. If we move the 2014 1st and end up moving Gaborik at the deadline, in my head that says we lost a top pick in the draft next year because we clearly didn't achieve....

Granted, the CBJ could achieve regardless of Gaborik's impact at which point moving him for picks would be a good thing if he doesn't extend here... I happen to think his value goes beyond goals and assists. He'll clearly be the focus of other team's top d-men. In that case he'll be drawing attention away from the other lines and allow others to step up. That can't be seen on a stat sheet.
Everything you mentioned can be seen on a stat sheet. Quality of competition is not that hard to measure. According to behindthenet.ca Gaborik had some of the easier competition of all our forwards, and the easiest zone starts. This stat doesn't isolate quality of opposing defence, unfortunately, so we're left to our own viewings on that count. I didn't see that Gaborik was the main focus of opposing defenders, as you saw.

Edit: Actually I'm not 100% confident in using Corsi as a measure of player effectiveness, and the quality of competition stat from behind-the-net is based on Corsi, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by major major: 06-10-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 05:16 AM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

We'll probably wait and see how he does in the first 2 months of the season, if he produces and the team is winning you try to retain him, if he's producing but the team isn't winning, you start fielding trade offers. If he's not producing and the team is winning, you keep holding off in hopes of him doing better, and if he does you trade him.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:21 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post

I have a simple solution for you. Don't trade next years 1st round pick.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:03 AM
EspenK

From yesterday's Porty chat:

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...pts/index.html

I don't see Gaborik signing a three year offer. He's 31. This is his last chance at a very long-term deal. I think it'll be five years minimum, wherever he signs. If the offer is 3 years, $20 million, I'd guess he'll be moving on to the next spot. If Gaborik has a good season in 2013-14 -- approaching 40 goals, which is his healthy norm -- he'll get a 5-year, $35 million plus offer from somebody.

So let's assume Porty's right and Gabby pots close to 40 how does that affect your opinion?

I say no way do I give him that long of a deal at 7 mill per. Trade deadline for sure if the Jackets are out of it.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post

I don't see Gaborik signing a three year offer. He's 31. This is his last chance at a very long-term deal. I think it'll be five years minimum, wherever he signs. If the offer is 3 years, $20 million, I'd guess he'll be moving on to the next spot. If Gaborik has a good season in 2013-14 -- approaching 40 goals, which is his healthy norm -- he'll get a 5-year, $35 million plus offer from somebody.

So let's assume Porty's right and Gabby pots close to 40 how does that affect your opinion?

I say no way do I give him that long of a deal at 7 mill per. Trade deadline for sure if the Jackets are out of it.
Not sure I agree with Porty's reasoning re: 5/35, but if that's the case, I'd say thanks but no thanks.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Kev22

Quote:

How does everyone's opinion changes if he pots like 25 to 30 goals? I think history shows that he's going to get back on the horse. If he puts up 40, then I think the organization would try to get him for 6 to 7M. That happens, you effectively replace all of Nash's production and save at least 800K. It will be interesting.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:26 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

I would trade him if that is what he actually wanted.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
How does everyone's opinion changes if he pots like 25 to 30 goals? I think history shows that he's going to get back on the horse. If he puts up 40, then I think the organization would try to get him for 6 to 7M. That happens, you effectively replace all of Nash's production and save at least 800K. It will be interesting.
Being a contract year I bet he not only puts up over 30 goals but plays at least 65 games too.. after that he could be another Umberger.. I don't like spending 7 million on him long term.. If he does well and helps with a playoff run next year that would be great, if he's not resigned by Columbus before the trade deadline that would be fine too..

Old
06-13-2013, 11:06 AM
CBJ All The Way

I agree With Robert I say we see how the first half of the season goes, and if we just aren't looking like playoff contenders trade him at the deadline, say we make a playoff run great! but I think Gaborik will ask long term and the risk will be too hight to take in my eyes. The older he gets the more injury susceptible his already frail body will get.

CBJ All The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Xoggz22

Personally, I'm a big fan of Gaborik. However, I don't see the CBJ paying him $7MM per for an extended period. He's in the "last big contract" area which might make it tough to navigate through for the CBJ. HOwever, given the reduction in the cap, maybe there is a silver lining and he would sign for a lower amount for 2 years and then when the cap jumps sign for more somewhere else... Doubtful, but I'd like to see that...

Old
06-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Barnaby

After watching him as a Ranger fan... I'd let him play through his contract year to get his top season... Towards the deadline I'd see where you guys are: trade him for a kings ransom if you're out of it, or look to re-up him for 2 years if he's doing well. I'd be very wary of anything over 2 years on an extension though... Just my 2 cents...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
After watching him as a Ranger fan... I'd let him play through his contract year to get his top season... Towards the deadline I'd see where you guys are: trade him for a kings ransom if you're out of it, or look to re-up him for 2 years if he's doing well. I'd be very wary of anything over 2 years on an extension though... Just my 2 cents...
Bottom-line, Gaborik is more of a liability than an asset… In the end he was signed by JD and JK to make the playoffs…. This failed.

The Goborik signing may go down in the new Era history as the first blunder….

Old
06-15-2013, 02:20 AM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Bottom-line, Gaborik is more of a liability than an asset… In the end he was signed by JD and JK to make the playoffs…. This failed.

It could have been to fill a deep dark hole of power play and goals for that this team clearly lacks going forward. Or whatevs.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 02:33 AM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:

C'mon Robert. You surely missed the emoticon right? Granted he wasn't "signed" and how much better could the team have played down the stretch? Gaborik is a top line RW that will help this team. What happens after this season will be what should be discussed. I don't believe for a second that the acquisition of Gaborik cost the CBJ the playoffs, nor is he a liability.

Old
06-15-2013, 05:50 PM
leesmith
Still in.

This feels like Ray Whitney all over again.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote