HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Predators re-sign Roman Josi (7 years, $4M cap hit)

Old
06-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
I mean, Johnny Boychuk makes similar money to play top pairing with Chara, but I'd be hesitant if Chiarelli suddenly signed him for more than a couple years.
What about Dougie Hamilton? I'm sure you'd love to have him locked up until he's 30? Right?

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:49 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I mean, Johnny Boychuk makes similar money to play top pairing with Chara, but I'd be hesitant if Chiarelli suddenly signed him for more than a couple years.
Josi has top defenseman potential, he just plays behind Weber.

I wish the Predators would have signed Weber and Suter both to this kind of deal years ago. And yes, Josi has that same type potential.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:51 PM
aleshemsky83

I really don't see whats so controversial about what I'm saying, why not wait for him to prove himself before signing him to a 7 year deal? He's a rfa, they could have locked him up to a lower number on a shorter term deal easily.

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:51 PM
GrandLarseny
Klingberg Stan

vCash: 375
Quote:
Well Josi is 23, already a top pairing d-men, and has the potential to be even better. Boychuk is already 29 so it's more than likely he's reached his ceiling.

I honestly don't see this as too high a risk as the potential just seems insane.

GrandLarseny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:52 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
I really don't see whats so controversial about what I'm saying, why not wait for him to prove himself before signing him to a 7 year deal? He's a rfa, they could have locked him up to a lower number on a shorter term deal easily.

Yeah, like they did with Suter and Weber? That's your answer.

Old
06-10-2013, 05:54 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Yeah, like they did with Suter?
Its funny you say that because Suter could never get longer than 7 years now, while Nashville could have offered him 8. But Suter would be worth that commitment, because he's a top 5 dman and he produces offensively.

Old
06-10-2013, 06:03 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Its funny you say that because Suter could never get longer than 7 years now, while Nashville could have offered him 8. But Suter would be worth that commitment, because he's a top 5 dman and he produces offensively.
You totally missed the point.

Old
06-10-2013, 06:06 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Josi is producing at a higher rate than Suter did after his first two seasons.

The term seems like to a lot of people, but Preds fans are happy with it. If you don't think last summer played a role in this contract's structure you're fooling yourself.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:09 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Josi is producing at a higher rate than Suter did after his first two seasons.
I'm not sure but I'm going to go ahead and talk out of my rear end and say Suter did not get a 7 year deal after his first two years. It'll probably work out fine, but 7 years is a long time for someone so unproven.

Old
06-10-2013, 06:10 PM
PAZ

Quote:

edit: Yes I know he is younger. The point is just more that, a star player is the one that warrants long term contracts. A $4 million dollar player is not a star player... and a star player, or someone who expects to be one, doesn't sign for 7 years at just $4 million.

In my opinion.

Still a good signing, since $4million isn't a lot and if he suddenly took a turn for the worse it is a moveable salary.
Why wouldn't you when he's only 23? Look at his age and his current play, his potential, and it's a no brainer to sign Josi at 7 years as opposed to less. Would you be opposed to signing Seguin to a 7yr/4mil contract as opposed to a shorter one?

Quote:
I'm not sure but I'm going to go ahead and talk out of my rear end and say Suter did not get a 7 year deal after his first two years. It'll probably work out fine, but 7 years is a long time for someone so unproven.
He's about as unproven as Hall is. I guess you'd dislike this contract if you gave Hall a long term contract under 5 mil, right?

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:11 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

No, Suter didn't get a 7 year contract after he turned 22.

Tell me who Suter plays for again?

So Nashville learned from it's mistake.

Old
06-10-2013, 06:14 PM
TOML

Nothing against Josi, but when i was a kid, 100 games played gets you a pat on the back, if anything.

Now we're living in a period where 100 games played gets a 22 yr old defenseman a 7 year, $28mil contract and a bunch of people saying that it was a brilliant signing.

And i'm not even that old.

Can't wait for the next lockout where both sides complain about money again. Them young whippersnappers can go suck eggs, dagnabbit.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:15 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
He's about as unproven as Hall is. I guess you'd dislike this contract if you gave Hall a long term contract under 5 mil, right?
I'm glad you mentioned that, I hated the hall deal. We could have signed him long term for way less if we waited for the lockout.
Quote:

Already addressed that part a few posts up. There is now a cap for term, Suter would actually get more money from Nashville than any other team if he was a free agent this summer believe it or not.

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 06-10-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old
06-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Great deal by the Preds, Josi's a solid up-and-comer.

06-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
Wow this came out of nowhere, what a great deal.
I wouldn't say that. We've been one of the busiest teams this off-season already and the season hasn't even ended. You can tell Poile was pissed about our rough year, and our bad off-season last year.

So far we've fired our head trainer Dan Redmond and our associate coach Peter Horacehk. Hired Housley and Nichol and re-signed Hornqvist and Josi to great contracts. All within the last month.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Jubal

After an abysmal season, this offseason is starting to look great. As for the future, I'm really excited about Josi, Klein, Wilson, Forsberg, 4th pick, Beck, Watson, Leipsic.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Anyone have the cover shot of the NHL13 game with Josi on it?? Best Pred signing since Rinne.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Steal of a deal. I was expecting $4M on the short term. Getting him locked up extra-long term at that price is amazing.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:22 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Steal of a deal. I was expecting $4M on the short term. Getting him locked up extra-long term at that price is amazing.
For some reason your post reminded me of those ridiculous contracts in BE A GM Mode, except for this isn't in a game.

Sign him for 4 years like he's asking? Noope, let's give him 7 years at the same price.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:26 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
No, Suter didn't get a 7 year contract after he turned 22.

That seven year deal ends when Josi turns 29, one year older than Suter is now. When it ends Josi is free to walk if he so chooses. Did Nashville really "learn their lesson"?

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
That seven year deal ends when Josi turns 29, one year older than Suter is now. When it ends Josi is free to walk if he so chooses. Did Nashville really "learn their lesson"?
7 is the max number of years now

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Technically, it's 8, but your point still stands.

Old
06-10-2013, 07:34 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Actually the max for Josi would be eight, but that's beside the point.

Don't get me wrong, I think Josi's a great player and I would love to have him on my team with this contract. It's going to look really good in a couple years, but to say Nashville learned their lesson from the Suter situation, while simultaneously setting themselves up for the exact same thing to happen, is just silly.

Not saying Josi will leave when the term is over, but Nashville very well could lose another good defenseman in his prime for nothing in seven years.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Actually the max for Josi would be eight, but that's beside the point.

Don't get me wrong, I think Josi's a great player and I would love to have him on my team with this contract. It's going to look really good in a couple years, but to say Nashville learned their lesson from the Suter situation, while simultaneously setting themselves up for the exact same thing to happen, is just silly.

Not saying Josi will leave when the term is over, but Nashville very well could lose another good defenseman in his prime for nothing in seven years.
How is it the exact same thing? Suter was signed for 0 UFA years. Josi signed for 2 UFA years. Poile learned from his mistake of not locking his young talent up early, rather than just doing the typical bridge contracts.

Side note: I believe Nashville never offers more than 7 year deals due to insurance, which is why this deal isn't 8. Just my observation however.

Old
06-10-2013, 07:43 PM
predfan98

No, you're totally wrong. At this point in his career Suter signed a 4 year contract, Josi signed a 7 year contract. How is that the same thing?
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/6...llion-contract

We did learn from the $uter fiasco.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote