HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Predators re-sign Roman Josi (7 years, $4M cap hit)

Old
06-10-2013, 07:45 PM
predfan98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
How is it the exact same thing? Suter was signed for 0 UFA years. Josi signed for 2 UFA years. Poile learned from his mistake of not locking his young talent up early, rather than just doing the typical bridge contracts.

Side note: I believe Nashville never offers more than 7 year deals due to insurance, which is why this deal isn't 8. Just my observation however.
yes, I believe the same thing about the insurance. Sullivan was a good lesson about a player going down.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Jubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Actually the max for Josi would be eight, but that's beside the point.

Don't get me wrong, I think Josi's a great player and I would love to have him on my team with this contract. It's going to look really good in a couple years, but to say Nashville learned their lesson from the Suter situation, while simultaneously setting themselves up for the exact same thing to happen, is just silly.

Not saying Josi will leave when the term is over, but Nashville very well could lose another good defenseman in his prime for nothing in seven years.

Anything can happen (especially in 7 years) but the difference between Josi and Suter is Josi really wants to be here. After the World Championships, a report came out saying Josi had asked Simon Moser to come play for Nashville (he could've asked more guys than that, but who knows) and supposedly told the guy how great the organization, city, and fans are. So I guess because of that I'm confident in saying that Josi enjoys it here and that he has a good attitude. I'm sure Poile feels the same way. Maybe Poile feels a bit safer making such a deal with Josi.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Mercalius

the intention from the FO is obviously different this time. It's almost double the length of the offers we gave to Weber and Suter at similar points in their careers, and is tied for franchise 2nd longest in years (with Pekka and Marty) only behind Weber's recent monster that we had to match. Yeah, the ages may be similar when he's available to walk, but the intent from Poile, probably mixed with what happened with Suter and almost happened with Weber, surely factored into this to some degree.

For us Preds fans, it's a huge reason to celebrate. Yes, there's risk - but we've seen the potential all season and his recent performance at World's has made the homer kool-aid even stouter. We trust in our team to recognize and develop defensive talent, yet we have (rightly) questioned their ability to wrap them up long term. I honestly thought we'd get a 3-4 year deal, max, out of him and was beyond stoked to see it was for 7. Factor in his openness about loving the team/city and even trying to actively recruit for us, and there's very few in Preds-land that didn't hit the ceiling when we heard this was ironed out today.

I was beyond bummed when Suter walked, and still won't lie - some part of me will always wonder if Weber is as committed to us as we are to him, but this situation feels entirely different from that. This feels like a win for Josi, the Predators, and the fans all rolled into one.

Mercalius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercalius View Post
the intention from the FO is obviously different this time. It's almost double the length of the offers we gave to Weber and Suter at similar points in their careers, and is tied for franchise 2nd longest in years (with Pekka and Marty) only behind Weber's recent monster that we had to match. Yeah, the ages may be similar when he's available to walk, but the intent from Poile, probably mixed with what happened with Suter and almost happened with Weber, surely factored into this to some degree.

For us Preds fans, it's a huge reason to celebrate. Yes, there's risk - but we've seen the potential all season and his recent performance at World's has made the homer kool-aid even stouter. We trust in our team to recognize and develop defensive talent, yet we have (rightly) questioned their ability to wrap them up long term. I honestly thought we'd get a 3-4 year deal, max, out of him and was beyond stoked to see it was for 7. Factor in his openness about loving the team/city and even trying to actively recruit for us, and there's very few in Preds-land that didn't hit the ceiling when we heard this was ironed out today.

I was beyond bummed when Suter walked, and still won't lie - some part of me will always wonder if Weber is as committed to us as we are to him, but this situation feels entirely different from that. This feels like a win for Josi, the Predators, and the fans all rolled into one.
As a Flyers fan, I am glad for your team. I was trying to do trades for him 2 years ago before he broke out. I think this will be a steal of a contract for at least 5 years. Depth dmen are getting 4+ mill per season, ang he is far from that. Great deal for the team!

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Esq.

Very nice signing for the Preds. It's important for small-market teams with smaller budgets to get guys locked up long term. $4M is a reasonable contract for Josi. He could provide great value if he continues developing the way he has this far. It is a bit risky signing a young guy who has only one year of being a top pairing guy for so long, but Preds fans seem to be very excited about Josi, so I don't doubt that he will prove himself worthy of this K.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:46 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

A bit of a gamble of a signing, but could turn out a steal for the preds in the end.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:00 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
A bit of a gamble of a signing, but could turn out a steal for the preds in the end.
Yup, a gamble worth taking imo. Josi just gets better and better, nice to lock up another good defenseman long term, congrats Nashville fans.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:06 PM
N o o d l e s

It could be a bit of a gamble, but you can't argue with it from a Predators point of view. They have some talented young dmen on that team, and it's good to see them lock those guys up early. They need to aoid another situation like the one in which they lost Suter.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:16 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Great deal.

Worst case scenario, he ends up making exactly what he's worth. Best case, his contract looks like an absolute steal. Barring some kind of freak injury, there's a 0% chance of Nashville regretting this one, IMO.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:33 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Actually the max for Josi would be eight, but that's beside the point.

Don't get me wrong, I think Josi's a great player and I would love to have him on my team with this contract. It's going to look really good in a couple years, but to say Nashville learned their lesson from the Suter situation, while simultaneously setting themselves up for the exact same thing to happen, is just silly.

Not saying Josi will leave when the term is over, but Nashville very well could lose another good defenseman in his prime for nothing in seven years.
whats your point? thats impossible to avoid. all players evetually become UFAs. the only way to get more would be a 3 year deal now(presumably at 4 mil per) then an 8 year deal after that. Problem is if he's as good as we think he's going to be, those 8 years will end up costing 7 or 8 mil per.

so Poile take a sure 7 years at 28 million total versus maybe getting him for 11 years but costing 70 million... do the math, those extra 4 years would effectively cost poile 10.5 million per year

and directly to your point had suter signed for 7 years at this same point, we would still have him for another two years

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

great player gets a (for the team) great contract. He is already worth about 3 million and this Cap Hit and contract will be a steal as soon as next season.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 01:52 AM
SwissStef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Anyone have the cover shot of the NHL13 game with Josi on it?? Best Pred signing since Rinne.

SwissStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:23 AM
That Habs Fan
drive for 25's alive

vCash: 400
I'm late to the thread here, but that's an amazing signing

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
They got a good deal, although I am kind of surprised about the length.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Tuomaz

One of the best deals in the league. congrats preds fans!

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Orca Smash

I just posted the other day i believe he is the next great defensemen to come out of nashville.

He is gonna be great.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:27 AM
njdevilsjds
Fire DeBoer

Very nice deal for both sides, Josi is an absolute beast, congrats to Josi and Nashville.

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:50 PM
SwissAvsFan

Just listened to a (short) radio interview with Josi:
- he liked the security of the contract. He's very well aware that it can change very quickly if you're a professional athlete (that's why he agreed on the term...)
- he really likes Nashville; people are friendly, city is nice. Reminds him of home
- he never dreamed of such a contract a couple years back, so he's happy with the money anyway, I guess

Congrats to both parties for that contract

SwissAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 02:18 PM
NEWFowler
hi

Wow. Great contract for the preds.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Unagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissAvsFan View Post
Just listened to a (short) radio interview with Josi:
- he liked the security of the contract. He's very well aware that it can change very quickly if you're a professional athlete (that's why he agreed on the term...)
- he really likes Nashville; people are friendly, city is nice. Reminds him of home
- he never dreamed of such a contract a couple years back, so he's happy with the money anyway, I guess

Congrats to both parties for that contract
I bet his grand master plan is to murder Mike Fisher and make a run at Carrie Underwood

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:17 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Great deal for Preds ,, Think Josi might regret this down line

Locks him down til age 30
Yeah, playing along side Shea Weber... I would seriously doubt Josi wants to be on any other pairing.

this deal could be the steal of the offseason.

Glad this and hornqvist's contracts are finished.

Now he can make some trades or moves in FA.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:24 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
I really don't see whats so controversial about what I'm saying, why not wait for him to prove himself before signing him to a 7 year deal? He's a rfa, they could have locked him up to a lower number on a shorter term deal easily.
Id take Poile and our scouts word and advice over some dude on the interwebs whose maybe watched Josi twice...

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:30 PM
BruceWayne*
Risen

A lot of money for someone that hasn't really done much.

BruceWayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
He'll get five mill five years from now. He should be more experienced by then I hope.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
One of the top d In the Swiss league b4 coming over. Cones over legit top 4 d man right away as a rookie. And I. His 2nd year In the NHL plays Very well as a number 2 on a team that is used to suter in that spot. Then goes I the worlds and wins the tori MVP.. Yah not much.. Pred fans have known josi for years now its only now after the worlds the rest of the fans are even starting to know his name. He was well worth 4 mill this year alone. In 3 years from now he will be a 6mill def mayb more

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote