HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: DousedInOil's Annual Rankings Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Some of this is totally incoherent
I understand it all. What would you need clarified?

Old
06-11-2013, 12:58 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I do agree on the Jones assessment to a degree. Picking #1 overall, I would take Mackinnon in a heart beat. A Taylor Hall flying down the middle, winning faceoffs and playing a 200ft game is something you can't pass up on.

That said... he is the only guy in this draft that I would take over Jones.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

hahahaha Jones falling to 4 would be absolutely ridiculous.
He is not going to Fowler it up.

Sakic is picking him first and that's pretty much it.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
hahahaha Jones falling to 4 would be absolutely ridiculous.
He is not going to Fowler it up.

Sakic is picking him first and that's pretty much it.
Yeah just because some scouts don't have him at number 1 doesn't mean the Ave feel the same way.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:46 PM
puckfan13

Peter Quenneville who plays for Dubuque but is from Edmonton, heading to Quinnipiac. Played in Sherwood Park in Jr. A last year. Thought he'd get taken with a late round flyer last year but he could be worth a shot late. Pete Chiarelli owns a part of the Dubuque team so the Bruins will have an inside look at this guy.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:38 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I don't think it's a slam dunk that Colorado takes Jones (though I think they probably will), but I really don't see him falling out of the top 3.

It's possible that the draft boards for the top 3 teams look like this:

COL - 1.MacKinnon, 2.Jones
FLA - 1.Drouin, 2.Jones
TBL - 1.MacKinnon, 2.Barkov, 3.Jones

In that instance Jones would fall to 4, and while we've seen highly ranked prospects drop on draft day, when was the last time the consensus #1 fell that far? Bouwmeester to 3 is the biggest drop I've ever seen by the top rated guy going in.

06-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Ya I am sure they need more centre depth...
No way the Avs pick Mack.

Old
06-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
yah why take the BPA when you are picking 1st overall..
EDM shouldve picked Murray because we were stacked at wing.

McKinnon is projected to be better than any C they currently have. passing up on McKinnon because Statsny is under contract for one more year would be bad management especially if they believe he is the BPA.

edit: OP was off by a lot on many of the picks last year.. Well he got the one that really mattered right .. hopefully he is right with '7 Edmonton Oilers Sean Monahan'

Old
06-11-2013, 03:07 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
- MacKinnon can play both C and W.
- O'Reilly could be traded once Colorado is once again able to do so.
- Stastny has been mentioned in trade rumours a great deal over the past few seasons.
- BPA is BPA. Why would any team take the #2 guy on their board if their #1 guy is still available.

It's very likely Colorado has Jones at the top of their list, but that's a piss-poor argument for taking him if he isn't.

Old
06-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

High degree of probability they take Mackinnon. Everyone knows forwards are a safer bet.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Thank god our management staff didn't follow this train of logic at the draft last year.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:03 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
It's like people in other year's saying we should take a centre or D when we took wingers and a centre... We took the best players each year regardless of position and if I was an Avs fan I'd hope they'd do the same, best play looks like Mack to me but it's subjective opinion. You can move centers to wing... I wouldn't have wanted to take Murray last year just because our D was garbage, Yak was the right choice. Stastny is UFA at the end of the year and ROR could get traded if they can't agree to an extension because his qualifying offer will be $7M+ next summer.

You'd think people would grasp BPA after we had 3 years of picking 1st overall but I guess some people never learn...

Old
06-11-2013, 06:10 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Peter Quenneville who plays for Dubuque but is from Edmonton, heading to Quinnipiac. Played in Sherwood Park in Jr. A last year. Thought he'd get taken with a late round flyer last year but he could be worth a shot late. Pete Chiarelli owns a part of the Dubuque team so the Bruins will have an inside look at this guy.
He is undersized but had two successful seasons in a row now, one with the Crusaders and this past one with the Dubuque. He will be taken this year just a matter of when. He has the hands just not the greatest skater.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:57 AM
cbear42

Whats the word on Frederic Gauthier? Kind of intrigued by his size. Just under a point per game in his rookie season in the Q is pretty solid production from the big guy.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:40 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbear42 View Post
Whats the word on Frederic Gauthier? Kind of intrigued by his size. Just under a point per game in his rookie season in the Q is pretty solid production from the big guy.
He's one of my favourite prospects in this years draft. I definitely have him ranked higher then most agencies. He looked dominating on the QMJHL early on but wasn't use to the schedule. He really had problems producing in the last part of the season but should be able to handle a full schedule next year.

He was one of Canada's best players at the U-18 and really uses his size to his advantage. He's probably the best defensive center in the draft and has drawn comparisons to Jordan Staal and Martin Hanzal. I think he has a lot more offense then both of those guys and could be a steal. He won't have the best shot on his team but he will be able to bring a power game that teams covet.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:50 AM
DousedInOil

Horvat coming up on the team 1260. Personally, if we move back I would have no problem grabbing him over Lazar. His playoff production was off the charts and is so clutch.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:00 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
High degree of probability they take Mackinnon. Everyone knows forwards are a safer bet.
High degree of probability you'll be wrong. It'll be Jones.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:01 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
High degree of probability you'll be wrong. It'll be Jones.
I assumed Jones for much of the year too. But after MacKinnon's play in the Memorial Cup, I am not sure any GM passes on him.

The Avs would be better served with MacKinnon - Duchene - ROR down the middle and trading Stastny for a D, imo.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:21 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I assumed Jones for much of the year too. But after MacKinnon's play in the Memorial Cup, I am not sure any GM passes on him.

The Avs would be better served with MacKinnon - Duchene - ROR down the middle and trading Stastny for a D, imo.
Will be interesting to see, it was Jones all year but MAckinnon was a stud during the memorial cup. Will make the decision tough.

I actually think the best player in the Draft is Drouin, kid has crazy skill. No one in edmonton talks about him becuase he is a small forward, if by some miracle he drops. We have to grab him.

I will be happy with Barkov, Lindhol, monhohan, or nurse. Just looking forward to draft day.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

Bobby Mac said at the combine that the majority of scouts still had Jones #1. You don't base your opinion around one tournament or small sample of games.

On the topic of trading down: If the Oilers managed to get a couple picks between 10-15 (obviously just #7 isn't likely to get you those picks) and left the draft with two of Gauthier, Lazar, Horvat they'd be pretty set at center. They could develop into 2a and 2b centers. Or keep the pick if Monahan or Lindholm is there at 7 and move the deck chairs to get say Buffalo's 2nd pick at #16 and take whoever's left of Gauthier, Lazar, Horvat. Obviously they have two 2nd's this year to work with but I'd be putting next year's 2nd rounder on the table too to get back into the top half of the 1st round with this deep draft year.

Last edited by Delicious Pancakes: 06-12-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old
06-12-2013, 12:09 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Better go tell that to LA, Winnipeg, St Louis, Washington, Tampa, and New Jersey. The dmen they recently took early are complete bust...

Old
06-12-2013, 02:29 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
yah why take the BPA when you are picking 1st overall..
EDM shouldve picked Murray because we were stacked at wing.

McKinnon is projected to be better than any C they currently have. passing up on McKinnon because Statsny is under contract for one more year would be bad management especially if they believe he is the BPA.

edit: OP was off by a lot on many of the picks last year.. Well he got the one that really mattered right .. hopefully he is right with '7 Edmonton Oilers Sean Monahan'
THey will take the BPA. If it's MacKinnon, they either stick him on the wing for now or trade Stastny for a very good defenseman.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:48 PM
DousedInOil

Gregor saying that they will have Barkov on this week- probably tomorrow. Also, Lindholm will be on the show next week!

I love this time of year.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:40 PM
bsmith14

I feel like most Oiler fans and media is overlooking Elias Lindholm. I keep hearing that if Monahan isn't available that we might trade down. What's everyones thoughts on taking the swede if Monahan is gone?

Old
06-12-2013, 04:45 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I feel like most Oiler fans and media is overlooking Elias Lindholm. I keep hearing that if Monahan isn't available that we might trade down. What's everyones thoughts on taking the swede if Monahan is gone?
I am 100% in favour of that, but I don`t think the Oilers are.

Closed Thread