HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: DousedInOil's Annual Rankings Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 06:42 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 16m

"When I watch Barkov he reminds me of Getzlaf. Great vision, does great job of finding space, needs to improve speed." Mclean
Some thoughts on Barkov.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:58 PM
shogun99

My draft prediction is that the Oilers draft Drouin at 7.

Col: Jones
Flo: Mackinnon
Tam: Nichuskin
Nas: Barkov
Car: Nurse
Cal: Monahan
Edm: Drouin

Every year the mock drafts are all the same but come draft time everything becomes a crapshoot after the first 2-3 picks. The only reason Drouin drops is because of his size and Carolina and Calgary drafting for need.

Old
06-20-2013, 08:33 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post

Every year the mock drafts are all the same but come draft time everything becomes a crapshoot after the first 2-3 picks. The only reason Drouin drops is because of his size and Carolina and Calgary drafting for need.
No way Carolina passes on Drouin. They need wingers too.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Hahahhaa you just Brown Banana'd him all over again!

Other names:
Zack Phillips (28th overall pick)
Tyler Ennis (26th overall)
Scott Glennie (fail - good Lazar comp in style: Speedy forward who is a natural goal-scorer. Can play center or wing and may be re-tried at center early in his pro career. Has a wicked shot and has great straight line speed.)
Jordan Caron (25th overall)
Landon Ferraro (32nd overall)

IATL you're not helping yourself with the 38-goal hype machine.
I'm not going to pretend to be an expect on all of these kids, but the bolded ones are not as good of skaters as Lazar so is it a valid comp? Ennis is much smaller than Lazar as well and is seem as more of a higher skill guy so why compare him to Lazar? Those comps seem like apples and oranges IMO.

06-20-2013, 10:02 PM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'm not going to pretend to be an expect on all of these kids, but the bolded ones are not as good of skaters as Lazar so is it a valid comp? Ennis is much smaller than Lazar as well and is seem as more of a higher skill guy so why compare him to Lazar? Those comps seem like apples and oranges IMO.
add glennie to the list of someone who plays nothing like lazar

Old
06-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
add glennie to the list of someone who plays nothing like lazar
I don't know much about Ferraro but I recall hearing that he was a fast kid but don't know much else about him other than the fact that he's Ray's son.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:30 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post

If Drouin falls to us, the value of that pick skyrockets, almost to the point where I'd want MacT to trade it. But "almost" is the key word.

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Drouin - *Big Center* - Eberle

A little too small, but holy ****

Old
06-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Yeesh...

If Drouin is on the board at #7 and all the players we want are gone I hope Tambo trades down to get Lazar/Horvat

Last thing this team needs is a small skilled forward

Old
06-20-2013, 11:11 PM
FunkyChicken
Dishonor for Connor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Unless the Gardiner + 21st for 7th + something rumour happens, I thing MacT should still be aiming to move up. With the rumours that Colorado might take Barkov, I think the Oilers should really be talking to Tampa and Carolina.

Edmonton gets
3rd pick(MacKinnon/Jones)

Carolina gets
7th pick(Nurse/Monahan/Lindholm) + 37th pick

Tampa gets
5th pick(Nichushkin) + Petry

Also, is anyone else worried that Feaster is going to offer up Giordano to move up to the top 3? I hate the idea of any of the top 3 players from this draft on the Flames.
I also think the only way to get #3 is to hop through #5.
Sure hope we move up to get that top center as the more I hear about Nichuskin, the more I worry about him being a bust. Starting to fear him being there at 7.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:41 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yeesh...

If Drouin is on the board at #7 and all the players we want are gone I hope Tambo trades down to get Lazar/Horvat

If Drouin is on the board we better take him. Personally I'd take him over Mackinnon at 1, but its close. I think whoever gets him will be very happy.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:44 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO a good comparison would be Jarret Stoll. I could see him turning into Stoll pre concussion with a better wrist shot and skating.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Yeesh...

Drouin is not someone you trade down away from at 7, regardless of our current roster make-up he has elite skill, somewhere in the range of Patrick Kane and Marty St. Louis. If nothing else we can develop him for the purpose of using him as trade bait, or keep him and trade one of our smaller/less physical forwards to make room.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:07 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
IMO a good comparison would be Jarret Stoll. I could see him turning into Stoll pre concussion with a better wrist shot and skating.
His love for the game reminds me a bit of Ryan Smyth (obviously not in terms of play style) but I think he compares to Mike Richards. I've also seen the comparison to a more offensive Mike Fisher.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:14 AM
nexttothemoon
10 again

vCash: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Drouin is not someone you trade down away from at 7, regardless of our current roster make-up he has elite skill, somewhere in the range of Patrick Kane and Marty St. Louis. If nothing else we can develop him for the purpose of using him as trade bait, or keep him and trade one of our smaller/less physical forwards to make room.
I agree... passing on someone who would clearly be the BPA at that point would be very poor asset management.

Either draft him... or deal the pick to a team if they offer you a VERY good deal... just don't pick a lesser player at that point that's a "better fit".

Old
06-21-2013, 12:22 AM
oilers4life5

The iss guy and mckeens guy both speak very highly of Zadarov, He should be Oilers pick at 7!!

Old
06-21-2013, 12:23 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Drouin isn't falling to 7. But if the 6 GMs in front of Edmonton go insane and if happens, MacT should be sprinting up to the podium shouting his name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChicken View Post
I also think the only way to get #3 is to hop through #5.
Sure hope we move up to get that top center as the more I hear about Nichuskin, the more I worry about him being a bust. Starting to fear him being there at 7.
The thing is, even with the red flags NHL scouts speaking to the media keep ranking him in the top 5. I guess he was really impressive at the under 18s. Anyone can bust, but Nichushkin has the potential to be a dominant player as well. Can't pass on that, imo. Besides, he's big, can skate, and has hands. Even if he doesn't work out here, someone will pay a high price to give him a second chance(see JVR).

But I do agree, It would be much better if we could do that 3-way to jump up to #3. Any of Mackinnon, Jones, or Barkov would make it a fantastic draft day.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:44 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Some thoughts on Barkov.
Also worth noting that in his interview today that Barkov said that he really enjoyed his interview with Edmonton and that he thought it went well. He also said something along the lines that he still has a couple of interviews left with individual teams.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Also worth noting that in his interview today that Barkov said that he really enjoyed his interview with Edmonton and that he thought it went well. He also said something along the lines that he still has a couple of interviews left with individual teams.
I'm sure he did enjoy it and I'm sure the Oilers did too. There is no chance that Edmonton gets him though unless they are willing to part with one of the big 4. He isn't going to fall past 4 and none of those teams are going to trade out for anything other than a legit top line commodity.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:01 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I'm sure he did enjoy it and I'm sure the Oilers did too. There is no chance that Edmonton gets him though unless they are willing to part with one of the big 4. He isn't going to fall past 4 and none of those teams are going to trade out for anything other than a legit top line commodity.
Nope he won't fall past 4. We were discussing the possibility of us moving up to 3, Tampa moving down to 5 to draft Nichushkin and Carolina dropping to 7 for Nurse or one of Lindholm/Monahan.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:17 AM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Yeesh...

Tambo?? The drinking hasn't stopped. 🍻🍸🍹🍷

Old
06-21-2013, 01:18 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Nope he won't fall past 4. We were discussing the possibility of us moving up to 3, Tampa moving down to 5 to draft Nichushkin and Carolina dropping to 7 for Nurse or one of Lindholm/Monahan.
And then my head explodes at the complexity of it all haha. Well if you could do it... I suppose you do it!

Although if we are moving up to 3 and Colorado actually takes the forward they say they will take and Florida takes the other forward (they seem high on the forwards too) then I would take Jones over Barkov and call it a day.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:31 AM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1513
Quote:
Yeesh...

Pretty sure he won't be trading anything.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Divine Wind

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeesh...

Zach Parise says hi.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:50 AM
The Nuge
Some Say...

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not even sure he'd be available. Imo, if Florida keeps the pick, the draft goes MacKinnon, Barkov

06-21-2013, 02:25 AM
Paralyzer008

Kind of thinking that Curtis Lazar would be like a poor man's Dustin Brown. Maybe not even a poor man, but we'll see if his offense translates.

We're talking about a 45-50 point player in the future who plays hard, agitates a little, hits hard, can score some goals, has good two-way acumen and leadership.

Closed Thread